14:00 GMT, 12 May 2024

Announcement

Dear Members and Guests

The PakPassion team are delighted to welcome you back to our forums.

You will have noticed that we have re-launched the forums with a new software that we feel will provide our members with a much better all-round experience.

As with any upgrade, it will take a bit of time to get used to and there may be some issues that will need correcting. We have set up this thread

for you to report any issues that need looking into by our technicians or if you have any suggestions regarding the design and the layout of the forums.

We thank you for your patience whilst the forums were not available, but as you can imagine, a project like this takes a lot of planning, organising and hard work.

So, welcome back and happy posting!

LATEST POLL

Who will win the 2nd T20I between Ireland and Pakistan?
  • Votes: (0%)
  • Votes: (0%)
Total Votes:
First Vote:
Last Vote:

Exclusive Interviews

"I learned more about myself after my debut": Shoaib Bashir

Bashir joins PakPassion for an exclusive interview where he ...

"Gary Kirsten will fit in nicely in Pakistan Culture": Vernon Philander

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Philander shares insights ...

"What is the guarantee that Gary Kirsten will take Pakistan to victory in the World Cup?": Atiq-uz-Zaman

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, former Pakistan International ...

"I still miss it, I wish I could go back to Pakistan right now": Catherine Dalton

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Catherine Dalton, the ...

"Our aim is to embed the Asian community into the English cricket system" - Dr Tom Brown

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Dr. Tom Brown, ...

"My aim is to play as many leagues as I can and obviously try to represent England at some stage": Kashif Ali

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Kashif Ali shared ...

Latest Content

Pakistan suffer an embarrassing 5 wicket loss to Ireland in the first T20I match of the series

Andy Balbirnie’s impressive innings laid the groundwork for Ireland’s triumphant five-wicket victory over Pakistan in the first T20I of the three-match series on Friday, marking only the second T20I encounter between the two nations.

Read more

"I learned more about myself after my debut": Shoaib Bashir

Bashir joins PakPassion for an exclusive interview where he talks about his background, how he became a professional cricketer, his international debut, and much more.

Read more

"Gary Kirsten will fit in nicely in Pakistan Culture": Vernon Philander

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion, Philander shares insights into Pakistan's new coaching setup, the current state of Pakistan cricket, South Africa's prospects in the upcoming T20 World Cup, and more.

Read more

"Pakistan have got more questions than answers before the T20I World Cup": Saj reviews the New Zealand series

With the upcoming T20I series against Ireland and England as well as the T20I World Cup2024 in perspective, Saj reviews how Pakistan performed in the recently concluded home series against a depleted New Zealand side which ended in a disappointing 2-2 result.

Read more

Talent Spotter

view all Talent Spotters
alt Talent Spotter : Mohammad Aftab

Speaking exclusively to PakPassion.net, the 17-year old left-arm paceman from Lahore expressed his...

Read More ...

alt Talent Spotter : Karamat Ali

The Pakistan Under-19s leg-spinner speaks to PakPassion about his introduction to cricket, his...

Read More ...

Talent Spotter : Asad Ali

Seeing Asad Ali bowling just blow my mind away ,A bowling style very much a replica of Darren...

Read More ...

Australia still in control but visitors show character to end the day at 382/8, their highest fourth-innings total.

By Abdullah Ansari (18th December, 2016)

Toss: Australia won the toss, Steve Smith opted to bat first.

Teams

Australia: MT Renshaw, DA Warner, UT Khawaja, SPD Smith (c), PSP Handscomb, NJ Maddinson, MS Wade (wk), MA Starc, JR Hazlewood, NM Lyon, JM Bird.

Pakistan: Sami Aslam, Azhar Ali, Babar Azam, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq (c), Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Mohammad Amir, Yasir Shah, Wahab Riaz, Rahat Ali.

The day began with Azhar struggling to find runs in the face of some tight bowling, but Younis was enterprising despite his struggles against the pacers as he began to tick the strike over on a regular basis. There was a moment of concern as Hazlewood bowled a bouncer to Azhar which smashed him on the helmet and neck region - he recovered after some refreshments were taken. Bird induced an edge from Younis but it fell short as Azhar finally reached his fifty off 146 deliveries - yet another fighting knock by the batsman. Australia tried the left-arm spin of Maddinson for a couple of overs without success before the groundsmen decided to cover the square due to some ominous clouds with Tea taken early, Pakistan 131/2.

The break turned out to be an extended one with rain pouring down regularly - however, the excellent drainage system ensured that play began soon after, with just over one and a half hour's delay. Azhar was more positive after the interval as he drove Starc and Hazlewood for a couple of fours but a few short balls from the former got him in a tangle, as he ended up nicking one down the leg-side after a solid knock of 71 from 179 balls. There was soon another delay due to rain but it was a shortened one, with Younis reaching his fifty after the resumption. Younis tried to continue being positive but Misbah struggled at the other end. Australia took a review for LBW against the Pakistan captain but there was a big inside-edge. Bird finally had him out caught behind, as Misbah chased one outside off and got a thin edge through to the keeper. Younis was the next to fall for 67 as he tried to reverse sweep Lyon but the bounce resulted in him getting a top edge which was easily pouched by Smith. Shafiq managed to get a few runs after his earlier struggles while Sarfraz looked to play his shots as Australia took the 2nd new ball - Pakistan went ot the dinner break at 203/5.

The first over after the interval saw Sarfraz nick one from Hazlewood, only for Smith to grass one in the slips. The drop didn't prove too costly as Starc returned to clean up Sarfraz's stumps with a full delivery, out for 24. He bowled a couple of excellent deliveries to follow up to Amir. He continued bowling a fiery spell, exchanging some words with Amir but the batsmen soon got going. Shafiq top-edged a hook for six against Hazlewood while Amir hit a few flowing drives through the off-side. Shafiq got to his fifty, a crucial knock to indicate that he is back in form after a torrid run recently. Amir continued on his merry way until he eventually fell to the tight bowling of Bird as he nicked one behind for 48. Wahab looked very tentative at the start against Starc's pace but he grew into the game as well as the Pakistani tail continued to wag. Shafiq continued batting aggressively and it almost cost him as he drove one off Starc but Smith again grassed the catch. Thereafter, the batsmen feasted on the tired bowlers as Wahab took Lyon for a couple of sixes as the Australians took the extra half hour at the end of the day. Shafiq kept ticking over and brought up his hundred in the last over of the day but there was time for another twist as Wahab nicked one with Smith finally taking a catch, out for 30. Pakistan finished the day at 382/8, their highest fourth-innings total and the highest at the Gabba - they need a further unlikely 108 to win.

Summary: A day where Pakistan have fought back and shown that can compete with Australia. Azhar was gritty as usual while Younis stuck it out despite his struggles. But at 175/5, one would've though it was all over but the lower-order showed great fight to keep Pakistan in the match - a win for Pakistan is still the most unlikely outcome, with a draw a close second and Australia are heavy favourites. But this day will give Pakistan a much-needed confidence boost heading into the 2nd Test, not to mention the heavy workload of the Australian bowlers which may play a part later on in the series.

Fall of wickets:

3-145 (Azhar Ali, 59.6 ov)
4-165 (Misbah-ul-Haq, 69.5 ov)
5-173 (Younis Khan, 74.3 ov)
6-220 (Sarfraz Ahmed, 87.3 ov)
7-312 (Mohammad Amir, 106.4 ov)
8-378 (Wahab Riaz, 122.3 ov)

Discuss!