PDA

View Full Version : another one added to the burnt malls of lahore



suhaib
19th February 2005, 09:53
Liberty HKB burnt
By Anjum Gill

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/images/19_2_2005_Dcp_0597.jpg LAHORE: H Karim Buksh, a multy-storey departmental store in the Liberty market, caught fire on Friday, claiming one life and burning goods worth millions.

The fire broke out in the store’s head office situated on the fifth floor of the Amber Shopping Centre adjacent to the store at around 5:30am. The flames rapidly engulfed the store, spreading through its fifth to the third floor. The cause of the fire is said to be a short circuit.

Security guard Zafar Iqbal, 45, was suffocated by the flames. Another employee, Zeeshan, 22, fell unconscious while trying to put out the flames. Columns of smoke coming out of the ventilators could be seen from far away.

The fifth floor was used as a store, while the fourth floor stored children’s goods and the third household appliances. The fire left all the goods in ashes. It took firefighters seven hours to extinguish the fire. Around 13 fire brigade units and more than 100 firefighters were deployed to put out the flames. Firefighters struggled to extinguish the fire because ladders were not long enough to reach the top. There was only one entrance to the building that made their job even more difficult. All adjacent shops were closed as the fire spread and police sealed off the area for several hours.

Twelve Lahore district government units, one Allama Iqbal International Airport unit, two Lahore Cantonment Board units and one private unit took part in the operation. Air Force and Civil Aviation Authority water tankers were also used. The Lahore Development Authority (LDA), Water and Power Sanitation Authority (WASA) and Solid Waste Management (SMW) had sent cranes and bulldozers to the scene.

Punjab Governor Khalid Maqbool, District Nazim Amir Mahmood and District Police Officer (DCO) Tariq Saleem Dogar also visited the scene. A firefighter complained that they had shabby plastic boots, old helmets and no fireproof jackets. “It was God’s will,” said shop owner Bashir Buksh, who was shocked by the incident. This is the third fire in a departmental store in three years.