PDA

View Full Version : Ajmal's Doosra

Down2Earth
17th August 2010, 01:06
There was another aspect of the Test just gone that posed interesting questions for the spirit of the game, and that was Saeed Ajmal's doosra, which utterly out-foxed England in the first innings. When Ajmal bowls this delivery his arm comes perilously close to passing the 15 degree limit of flexion stipulated by the ICC. He is one of several off-spinners who has been reported for chucking the doosra in the past, though he was cleared by the ICC after independent testing in May 2009. Johan Botha was not so lucky. In that same month his own version of the delivery was deemed illegal.

Chucking should be as close to a clear contravention of the spirit of the game as you will get, seeing as it breaks one of the fundamental tenets of the Laws. And yet the kickback against Ajmal has been considerably less severe than that against Broad. People have been slower to take the moral high ground. There was some chuntering on the OBO, and Jonathan Agnew made a tentative foray towards tackling the topic on Test Match Special, but was given short shrift by Geoffrey Boycott. "I don't believe anybody can bowl the doosra without throwing the ball," thundered Boycott. "But after letting Murali get away with it for so long it would be unfair to call someone for chucking now."

This is Murali's legacy. Few will be able to emulate his bowling style, but many will be able to capitalise on the changes he helped provoke in the regulations. If he had not brought the issue to the fore, then the ICC would never have introduced the 15 degrees rule that allows Ajmal to bowl his doosra. It may be an arbitrary limit, but this Law change has improved the game. Cricket is richer for the fact that Ajmal and other off-spinners have that delivery in their repertoire. Watching him bamboozle England's tail with it was an entertaining a spell as the last Test produced. James Anderson knitted his brow and groped hopefully forward. Graeme Swann lashed out blindly, before merrily admitting he "had no idea which way the ball was turning".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/aug/10/what-is-and-isnt-cricket

jr
17th August 2010, 01:24
horrible article attempting to exonerate broad by trying to somehow equate the disgraceful behaviour of that **** broad with saeed ajmals bowling action!
and done in a typically snide english fashion

kingusama92
17th August 2010, 01:44
Well, I guess it's working then.

Ajmal is into England's head. Whenever, England/Australia/NZ journalists start insulting your players that means those players are getting into their heads. They used to do it with Murali all the time because they couldn't pick him and now it's Ajmal's turn.

Let the writer moan - it's mean we're getting to them. :D

Geordie Ahmed
17th August 2010, 01:55
Not a surprise we have seen such an article though I am surprised it took this long

boomboomafridi10
17th August 2010, 02:05
oh so now you cant bowl a doosra without chucking the ball...its just like when reverse swing was called ball tampering..England complain about cheating when their own players cant do what other teams are doing.

muzher
17th August 2010, 02:10
This is Murali's legacy. Few will be able to emulate his bowling style, but many will be able to capitalise on the changes he helped provoke in the regulations. If he had not brought the issue to the fore, then the ICC would never have introduced the 15 degrees rule that allows Ajmal to bowl his doosra.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The 15 degree limit is not an "arbitrary limit", it is the minimum amount detectable by the human eye. Nor was the limit increased for Murali. Without it, 99% of bowlers would be chuckers.

See here: http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/135220.html

Also, people are forgetting that Saqlain was bowling the doosra completely fine well before Murali...

Saqs
17th August 2010, 03:54
Murali's action was repeatedly tested under old and new laws and he was cleared of all accounts.

How Boycott the tool forgets that is beyond me.

Amir
17th August 2010, 04:10
I can't believe they compared Broad injuring a player for a senseless action to Ajmal's doosra. One is malicious, the other is not.

kingusama92
17th August 2010, 04:23
I can't believe they compared Broad injuring a player for a senseless action to Ajmal's doosra. One is malicious, the other is not.

Anything to prove England's innocence. :69:

Sakss
17th August 2010, 06:06
what a poor article...

these English can cross any limits to prove someone wrong

Desire
17th August 2010, 06:08
personally i dont like to see offspiner;s doosra which is bowled with bent arm. Look at saqi he didnt bent his arm. you see his videos again and again you still will dont know how he does it.

dhump
17th August 2010, 09:21
English phir ro rahay hain.

Blitz
17th August 2010, 09:37
No one can bowl it without throwing the ball?

Ignorance. Did he forget the man who actually invented the Doosra. Idiot....

ScotRaz
17th August 2010, 09:43
Dont worry, it will become normal, when english bowlers learn how to do it, then it will be called an art, a spinners weapon etc. ....

Maula Jutt
17th August 2010, 10:55
This is funny. And so predictable.

IAJ
17th August 2010, 12:01
InshaAllah his doosra will be even more handy in the third test, and they will cry more :D

Saqs
18th August 2010, 00:44

You my friend have the greatest avatar I've seen on PP.

Taking that as soon as you're done with it.

Dr Khan
18th August 2010, 00:50
Freaking Whiners, First they used to whine about Reverse swing and now this doosra. If tomorrow they produce a spinner with good doosra, everything will be fine then.

PB
18th August 2010, 00:54
Bahh, I wish we could do our talking on the field !
Stupid batsmen.

Black Zero
18th August 2010, 01:18

ghias
18th August 2010, 01:38
^^Same thing cleared by ICC. And you cant see the angles correctly with 2D images so don't even try.Hey Aren't you the same guy who got owned in another thread recently flaunting the same pic? LOL

majiz
18th August 2010, 01:41
seriously, if his arm is bending so much when he bowls this particular devilvery why aren't they picking it?

DW44
18th August 2010, 01:46
Brits phir ro rahe hain. Whining is an inherently British trait so I don't see why we should give it a second thought; its as natural as Americans eating 6 whoppers in a single meal or the French trying to surrender every time they let of the fireworks at Disney in Paris.

Desire
18th August 2010, 06:21
seriously, if his arm is bending so much when he bowls this particular devilvery why aren't they picking it?

coz asian block will come together again and moan about racism.

Poison
22nd August 2010, 16:09
Not exactly related to the thread topic, but his doosra to Morgan had to be one of the best deliveries he's bowled. The PERFECT doosra, can't get over it

:ajmal

Sledger
22nd August 2010, 16:15
Rz7mtVEe4os

Morgan is very easy for me. :ajmal

hasanmehmoodkhan
22nd August 2010, 16:16
didnt the clear murli because he has a disability where he cant straighten his arm fully and he has extra motion in his wrist and shoulder that allow of him to bowl the way he does

AZ
22nd August 2010, 16:16
:)) nobody could catch him! what a cheeetah!

hasanmehmoodkhan
22nd August 2010, 16:17
why deosnt graeme swann learn how the bowl the doosra so the english can stop whining

Sledger
22nd August 2010, 16:19
You've answered your own question. :rondu

Sledger
22nd August 2010, 16:20
:)) nobody could catch him! what a cheeetah!

Notice Yousuf's equally cheetahesque attempt to catch up with him. :inzi

mastermind_quad
22nd August 2010, 16:21
NO offense to Ajmal ..he is a great character .....

but i like to compliment his variation ,degrees n all.....as

The best chucker among the available chucker in the world ....;-)

PS: don't use "Chucker" word it is prohibited in public places ...:D

shan
22nd August 2010, 16:22
why deosnt graeme swann learn how the bowl the doosra so the english can stop whining

He is doing alright without Dosra. Remember he's off spinner spin more then Ajmal. Ajmal without Dosra will be easy picking for everyone while Swann not so much.

sanakazmi
22nd August 2010, 16:22

i think he's trying.

Chuffed
24th August 2010, 17:06

Errrr, he's not chucking it.

Chuffed
24th August 2010, 17:07
i think he's trying.

Trying to stop whining or learning the doosra?

WNC
24th August 2010, 17:22
Angrez phir ro rahe hain

BoomBoomCricket
24th August 2010, 17:24

:))) very true bro:******:

Saj
24th August 2010, 19:25
Interesting that this "chucking whispering" is usually carried out by the players and press of those countries that have not been able to produce this type of unorthodox off spinner.

I'm sure if the Aussies and England produced a Murali clone off spinner, they would not ever mention the 15 degree rule again.

By the way, I guarantee that England will complain officially about Ajmal's action either at the end of the test series or at the end of the tour.

1two3
24th August 2010, 22:34
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The 15 degree limit is not an "arbitrary limit", it is the minimum amount detectable by the human eye. Nor was the limit increased for Murali. Without it, 99% of bowlers would be chuckers.

See here: http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/135220.html

Also, people are forgetting that Saqlain was bowling the doosra completely fine well before Murali...

Adding to that,, Saqlain's Action never been reported for suspicious action..

1two3
24th August 2010, 22:44

Keya Bhajji ko Bhul Gaye Mere Bhai? He was reported as Chucker when he had come in the International Arena for the 1st time when he was only 17yrs old.

Then He came back again and become National Hero By beating Aussies on Home soil..

Then,, He also launched his version of Dusra and again his action came under the radar. And then He was disallowed to bowl Dusraa anymore..

So, There is no doubt Bhajji is better Chucker than Ajmal as Bhajji's Off spin as well as his Dusraa both got reported by ICC.

Andhe Jab feel karta hay, to saab kuch kaala dikta hay....

Logic
25th August 2010, 09:50
The point is Ajmal was cleared by ICC as he can bowl doosra within 15 degrees limit.

And it is not that ICC is allowing everyone to bowl it. Botha, Shoaib Malik, Harbajan, all these guys were banned to bowl doosra because they were exceeding the 15 degree limit.

So please don't use Murli and Ajmal as excuse for chucking. If i remember correctly, Murli once bowled on media with his arm bind in a metal brace, just to show that he doesn't bend his arm. Funnily even then it looked liked he is bending his arm which i believe was due to some optical illusion as the metal brace was checked by several guys and they verified that once put on, it didn't allow any bending of arm.

Acim
25th August 2010, 10:13
Some journalists/people are whiners, whatever you want to call it, the example of 1992 is in front of us. As long as they can't do it it's cheating.

But bowlers who have such actions (not clean) like Ajmal, Harbhajan should be ready to face these kind of remarks.

Amjid Javed
25th August 2010, 10:42
I just Hope Ajmal continues to use the Doosra sparingly and as a surprise weapon and not overkill it like Saqai did and eventually become ineffective!

Acim
25th August 2010, 10:48
I don't think he is young enough to over use it. :D

cricket_fever
25th August 2010, 12:44
Interesting that this "chucking whispering" is usually carried out by the players and press of those countries that have not been able to produce this type of unorthodox off spinner.

I'm sure if the Aussies and England produced a Murali clone off spinner, they would not ever mention the 15 degree rule again.

By the way, I guarantee that England will complain officially about Ajmal's action either at the end of the test series or at the end of the tour.

EXACTLY

these rotus are just jealous.....jealous to the CORE!

AZ
25th August 2010, 12:48
Rz7mtVEe4os

Morgan is very easy for me. :ajmal

guess who's blocked this video! :P:P

:rondu :rondu :rondu

Down2Earth
20th February 2012, 06:20
well they were crying back then too...

ecstatic_freak
20th February 2012, 06:39
*yawn*