PDA

View Full Version : Leeds United FC Thread 2010-11

Aussies4Eva
1st September 2010, 06:20
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11715_6350953,00.html

City confirm Clayton sale
Leeds secure defender on a permanent basis

Manchester City have confirmed the permanent sale of midfielder Adam Clayton to Leeds United.

As revealed by skysports.com earlier on deadline day, the two clubs have agreed a fee following the 21-year-old's initial loan arrival at Elland Road.

Clayton joined Leeds on a one-month basis at the start of August and has made two substitute appearances, against Derby and Nottingham Forest.

Manager Simon Grayson has been suitably impressed during that period and pushed to complete a permanent deal before Tuesday's 6pm transfer deadline.

Clayton, who progressed through City's Academy, spent most of last season on loan at Carlisle, where he made a total of 28 appearances.

He failed to make the first-team breakthrough at Eastlands, but was twice an unused substitute.

Geordie Ahmed
1st September 2010, 06:22
TAK will be happy - another Leeds fan

Im happy as long as its not another Man-U fan :D

Aussies4Eva
1st September 2010, 06:23
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11715_6350114,00.html

Leeds swoop for Nunez
Whites offer contract to attacker after successful trial

Leeds United have signed Honduras international Ramon Nunez after a successful trial with the club.

The 24-year-old, who can play in either midfield or attack, has been at Elland Road for one month and has impressed Simon Grayson sufficiently to earn a permanent deal.

Leeds have now received a work permit for the player and he has put pen to paper on a permanent contract, having scored for the Whites in a pre-season friendly win over local side Bradford Park Avenue.

Nunez played in all three of Honduras' games during this summer's World Cup in South Africa, starting two and appearing as a substitute in the other.

He began his professional career in the American MLS with FC Dallas before moving to Chivas USA, and has since been playing in his homeland and Mexico.

Aussies4Eva
1st September 2010, 06:25

I am definitely a Leeds fan, mate.

Very passionate Leeds United fan for over 13 years now.

Absolutely despise Man Utd and it was the greatest feeling ever to knock the **** out of the FA Cup last season.

It's been a hard 8 years stuck in the lower divisions but we're on the way back.

Amir
1st September 2010, 09:34
Absolutely despise Man Utd and it was the greatest feeling ever to knock the **** out of the FA Cup last season.

You know what is a even greater feeling? Being in the Premier League :D

Genghis
1st September 2010, 10:12

It's been a hard 8 years stuck in the lower divisions but we're on the way back.
I'm another one ... became a fan back in the mid 90s when they had a young team on the way up. Rode the highs of the Champions League and then the lows of two relegations. Last year was devastated when we lost in the playoffs (still a great acheivement after we started the season with -20 points). And was a big relief when we won promotion this year. Still a long way to go this season, but would be a dream come true to get promoted back to the premier league at the conclusion of this season.

Aussies4Eva
1st September 2010, 10:20

I'm another one ... became a fan back in the mid 90s when they had a young team on the way up. Rode the highs of the Champions League and then the lows of two relegations. Last year was devastated when we lost in the playoffs (still a great acheivement after we started the season with -20 points). And was a big relief when we won promotion this year. Still a long way to go this season, but would be a dream come true to get promoted back to the premier league at the conclusion of this season.

Absolutely mate.

We've got off to a reasonable start as well.

Looking forward to our next game against Swansea City as it will be defender Federico Bessone's first game against his former club.

Yeah it was a relief, I know being a part of a NSW Leeds supporters club that everyone here was as overjoyed and relieved as our fans in the UK were.

Geordie Ahmed
1st September 2010, 10:25
More Leeds fans than I thought - looks like we will need to conduct a poll soon to see who PP'ers support

Aussies4Eva
1st September 2010, 10:27
There's a lot of us around, mate.

There is a more of us than many will realise.

Not sure how many Leeds fans there are in Pakistan but a members club can be formed though.

I am part of one over here.

The more Leeds fans the merrier :D

Geordie Ahmed
1st September 2010, 10:52
There's a lot of us around, mate.

There is a more of us than many will realise.

Not sure how many Leeds fans there are in Pakistan but a members club can be formed though.

I am part of one over here.

The more Leeds fans the merrier :D

Im indifferent over Leeds - though I certainly think the Premiership would be a better place with Leeds, Forest instead of the likes of Wigan

IAJ
4th September 2010, 15:37
No doubt here: Leeds united all the way! Premier league next year and champions league the year after InshaAllah: there we actually belong. Just going through some years' fomalities.

IAJ
4th September 2010, 15:38
Im indifferent over Leeds - though I certainly think the Premiership would be a better place with Leeds, Forest instead of the likes of Wigan

Yeah they should only stick to rugby

Grenade
8th September 2010, 17:24
Another proud Leeds fan here- it's nice to see there are a few of us on PP. I attend all games home and away. Can't wait for the game against Swansea, I hate international breaks! Didn't have to worry about them last season.

Amdy Faye is in training with us, hope we sign him. He'll add a bit of much needed bite to our midfield.

TAK
8th September 2010, 18:26

hallelujah brother

just been to ER to pick up my tickets for swansea and sheff united

TAK
8th September 2010, 18:29
grenade is here too...:14:

لیڈز لیڈز لیڈز

TAK
8th September 2010, 19:05
Aussies4Eva,

i see from the leeds united NSW site that the doncaster away game is being shown live on fox sports

is there any way i could watch that in the uk i wonder :13:

لیڈز لیڈز لیڈز

Grenade
8th September 2010, 20:49
grenade is here too...:14:
They finally allowed me on at the third time of asking- can't keep Leeds away for ever http://www.waccoe.com/style_emoticons/default/happy05.gif

http://www.waccoe.com/style_emoticons/default/bowdown.gifلیڈز لیڈز لیڈز

Markhor
8th September 2010, 21:37
Wigan are a waste of time and space.Teams with prestige like Nottingham Forest and Leeds United always have a place in the PL.

Amir
8th September 2010, 21:51
Wigan are a waste of time and space.Teams with prestige like Nottingham Forest and Leeds United always have a place in the PL.

Well teams who don't have any fiscal management shouldn't be in the PL either. Just ask Pompey ;-)

Geordie Ahmed
8th September 2010, 22:00
Wow - the place is full of Leeds fans - now we just need a few of the "glory hunters" online and see a nice friendly "debate" follow :D

Markhor
9th September 2010, 00:18
Well teams who don't have any fiscal management shouldn't be in the PL either. Just ask Pompey ;-)

:)) True say ! One day,Gary Speed will lead us back into the PL.Sigh.

Amir
9th September 2010, 00:21
Wow - the place is full of Leeds fans - now we just need a few of the "glory hunters" online and see a nice friendly "debate" follow :D

Such a debate should occur in Newcastle. You know, just in case anything is damaged, we wouldn't want it to be of great value. :D

Geordie Ahmed
9th September 2010, 04:24
Such a debate should occur in Newcastle. You know, just in case anything is damaged, we wouldn't want it to be of great value. :D

Fair enough BUT there is a slight logistical problem

Newcastle is just under 2 hours drive from Leeds (including the lovely Roadworks on the A1) BUT for the "glory hunters" its a 12 hour flight :yk

Genghis
9th September 2010, 12:01
i see from the leeds united NSW site that the doncaster away game is being shown live on fox sports

لیڈز لیڈز لیڈز
Awesome ... I will definately be watching! Thanks!

Grenade
10th September 2010, 12:52

I'm not too keen on Newcastle myself, but if you can't stand glory supporters too I think we'll get on just fine.

Wigan are an embarrassment of a club- they got something like 15k attendance for Chelsea. League cup semi against Arsenal a few years ago, definitely one of the biggest days in the club's history, they only got 10k in the JJB. Pathetic. Leeds managed up to 38k for League one games. Obviously we deserve to be where we are, and Wigan deserve to be in the top flight, but I think the majority of neutrals would feel the Prem would be a lot better with Leeds instead of the likes of Wigan.

If you're a **** supporter, that quote could be oh so priceless in a year or two.

:)) True say ! One day,Gary Speed will lead us back into the PL.Sigh.
Blades fan eh? For some reason many of your fans hate us, but I don't mind Sheff U- I'd prefer more Yorkshire representation in the top flight. It's good for you that Kevin Blackwell got the sack- tactically he is a very naive manager and it looks like he made the same mistakes with you that he did with us.

Amdy (a.k.a. Ahmadi) Faye signed yesterday- could be the missing piece of the jigsaw as we were lacking the defensive midfielder. I'm quietly optimistic about this season now- I don't think we will get promoted, but I think we'll be in the mix for the playoffs. We've had a good start and Snodgrass and Paynter haven't even featured yet due to injury and Gradel has just come back from suspension. The squad is looking strong and there is competition for every place, which is what you need. A big plus for us is Kasper Schmeichel- he's been a revelation. His distribution is outstanding and I think he must be better than a few premiership keepers.

Swansea have Darren Pratley injured for the weekend who is their key player so that's a big plus for us. I am fairly confident that we'll get the three points.

Geordie Ahmed
11th September 2010, 02:57
I thought Amdy Faye was a decent player for us even though most of the fans hated him

He breaks up play well and thats about it - his distribution was pretty shocking, as long as he sticks to breaking up attacks and playing a simple pass he will do well for you lot

Though I am basing this on the Faye that played for us 5 years ago - goodness knows what he has been like since then

Grenade
11th September 2010, 23:06
Just got back from the game- delighted. We were really poor in the first half and Swansea deserved the lead although it did come from an almighty cock-up at the back thanks to Richard Naylor who shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. We had a good spell of pressure in the second half and managed to score two goals which were both a tad fortunate in that they were rebounds, but the build up work involving Max Gradel was good. It finished 2-1, perhaps should have been a draw but it's good that we managed to grind out a victory. We've moved up to 5th now for the time-being and it should stay that way unless Burnley can make a comeback from 2-1 behind at home to Preston, with half an hour left.

TAK
12th September 2010, 02:02
where do you sit grenade?

i didn't like the way we just invited swansea on for the last 10 minutes or so

having said that if gradel had passed to mcormack it would have been 3-1

well played shane higgs too, saved what looked a certain goal to make it 0-2

overall not a great performance but 3 points against one of the better teams in the division last season

bruce in for naylor some time soon i think

James
12th September 2010, 04:20
Leeds have had about as good a start as anyone could have hoped for, maybe even better. I said as long as we finish 14th or above this season I'll be happy, but this has been genuinely impressive. general consensus among me and my mates is that to go up again straight away would be a bit too much for the club right now, but a strong showing this season would not hurt!

Grenade
13th September 2010, 02:05
where do you sit grenade?

i didn't like the way we just invited swansea on for the last 10 minutes or so

having said that if gradel had passed to mcormack it would have been 3-1

well played shane higgs too, saved what looked a certain goal to make it 0-2

overall not a great performance but 3 points against one of the better teams in the division last season

bruce in for naylor some time soon i think
My season ticket is in the East, right at the back and near the halfway line. Best seats in the house in my opinion. Click here (http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6404/img0085ky.jpg) for a pic of my view. Not the best picture, I've got some better ones somewhere but can't find em. The only bad thing is having to look at the West Stand which is a bit of an eyesore.

Yeah, you're right- we backed off Swansea and it just looked like we were content with the 2-1. I thought that Dobbie who scored the Swansea goal would eventually get an equaliser- he kept picking up the ball outside the box and working some space to get a shot off, although we did manage to block the majority of them.

Gradel is a bit brainless at times as we found out with his red card last year. He had Somma free next to him and McCormack who would have scored the killer goal in injury time, but went for the greedy option and messed it up. I could have slapped him when he did that. He played well though, and had a key part to play in both goals but needs to learn to pass the ball to better placed players instead of trying to be a hero all the time.

Higgs played well too, I thought he might have done a bit better with the goal but made one cracking save and stopped Sinclair in a 1-on-1 when we were 1-0 down. His distribution was a bit annoying though, he kept kicking it straight to their keeper.

Naylor won't get dropped any time soon. He's terrible and has been responsible for 4 of the 5 goals we have conceded this season and is a big reason why we've only kept one clean sheet in 5 league games, but for some reason the manager loves him. I can't understand why, he's our worst centre-back. We'll keep leaking goals until he's dropped which won't happen, so cross your fingers for an injury.

TAK
13th September 2010, 20:55
serious dilema this friday gentlemen...

3rd. day/night odi on at the same time as the leeds donny game !!

think i'm gonna watch the cricket uninterupted and v+ the footy and watch it straight after without knowing the result...

no other way around it!!!

Amir
14th September 2010, 11:20
In the news...

Levy warns Champions League stay could be brief

By Soccernet staff

September 14, 2010

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has warned fans the club's future comes before the pursuit of Champions League qualification ahead of Spurs' opening group stage fixture at Werder Bremen on Tuesday.

Harry Redknapp's men edged out Manchester City for fourth place in last year's Premier League and then performed a stunning escape act against Young Boys of Bern in this season's play-off to reach the group stage.

With City spending big again over the summer and the likes of Aston Villa and Everton competing strongly over the years there is no guarantee Tottenham will get another chance in the competition any time soon.

Levy stated the club would not over-extend in the transfer market to try to lock down a place in the big time, a strategy that famously led to a stunning downfall for Leeds United last decade.

Levy said: "I think we all want to stay there but we all have to be realistic. There are only four places in England and there are seven or eight clubs competing. There are probably two clubs you could say are guaranteed to be in that top four. You then have two places for six clubs. The odds are stacked against you. But what we won't do is jeopardise the club to challenge to be one of those two. You can't run the club on the basis of being in the Champions League.

"I like to think it's important to run the club in the right way. It's not just about today; it's about the future generation of fans. You have to protect the club."

Source: Soccernet

Amir
14th September 2010, 11:22
serious dilema this friday gentlemen...

3rd. day/night odi on at the same time as the leeds donny game !!

think i'm gonna watch the cricket uninterupted and v+ the footy and watch it straight after without knowing the result...

no other way around it!!!

I unfortunately use this approach in life many times, where I cancel or avoid making plans to watch Pakistan play. I think as of recent, it usually comes back to bite me in the backside cause Pakistan just usually collapse after that.

TAK
24th September 2010, 00:13
bit of good news for you out of town boys...

the baa i mean caardiff game will now be show live on sky monday 25/10/10

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20100923/cardiff-clash-now-on-tv_2247585_2163147

in the meantime

sheffield united visit elland road on saturday in what should be a cracker with gary speed returning as manager of the opposition

Amir
29th September 2010, 02:14
Brilliant match and come back from Preston North End. Leeds led 4-1 at Elland road, only for Preston to score not one, not two but five unanswered goals!

Can't wait for highlights.

James
29th September 2010, 20:40
oh dear.

TAK
29th September 2010, 20:57
if we had won we would have been 3rd. equal on points with cardiff and preston 2nd. bottom

pretty freaky game really - both defences were dire, and i mean dire

from our point of view

no defensive cover from teh midfielders

crazy penalty given away when ball and player were going nowhere

a goal direct from a corner with keeper and defender stood on the line

lack of communication between keepr and centre half leading to a simple to deal with cnothing cross becoming an easy head in

unbeleivable that we threw away a 3 goal advantage, first time we have ever conceeded 6 at home in a 1st. team game

tricky game away at ipswich follwed by boro away with a 2 week hiatus inbetween