PDA

View Full Version : The Arwi Language

USaqaf
20th February 2011, 05:58
Sanskrit + Arabic = Hindi/Urdu -- this is not the only equation that came about during Islams 1000 year old spread over India.

Tamil + Arabic = Arwi -- another beautiful language coming out from a long period of association.

I had lunch with a Tamil Muslim chap and we had one of the most engrossing debates ive ever had in my life.
I also learned a lot about our glorious creed.

I was arguing with him about our Arabic/Persian/ Turkic forebears and that Islam reached South India much later than the Northern route.

Apparently I was wrong.
Islam made inroads into TN and Kerala right around the time during the end of the Prophet's (pbuh) life. That is almost 70 years before Islam touched Sind.

Most Tamil Muslims speak the Arwi language , a synthesis between Arabic and Tamil. They spoke the Prophets (pbuh) language.

There are even places in Tamil Nadu that are completely Muslim majority and no communal riots (pay attention Bombay).

This sort of information makes me so proud of how we can live in harmony with our neighbours and anyone who doubts this is seriously delusional since there are such tranquil places we inhabit.

FastBowler
20th February 2011, 06:52
Sanskrit and Arabic does not equal Urdu. Many languages are involved in the creation of Urdu, but even simplifying it, this is wrong. Sanskrit + Arabic + Persian is more accurate. Persian has heavily influenced Urdu.

Munda Pakistani
20th February 2011, 07:17
Sanskrit and Arabic does not equal Urdu. Many languages are involved in the creation of Urdu, but even simplifying it, this is wrong. Sanskrit + Arabic + Persian is more accurate. Persian has heavily influenced Urdu.

I was going to say exactly the same.

Hindi and Urdu are distinguished by Hindi's deep links with Sanskrit, and Urdu with Arbi and Faarsi.