PDA

View Full Version : Millions download latest Firefox browser

defender
24th March 2011, 00:05
More than five million people have downloaded the latest version of Firefox since its release a day ago.

Mozilla, which makes the number two web browser, has been keeping a real-time map showing where in the world users are installing the software.

Despite the rapid uptake, downloads have been slower for version 4 than its predecessor.

Over the past year, Firefox's market share has declined slightly in the face of competition from Google's Chrome.

Firefox 4 was made available for download less than a month after Microsoft launched Internet Explorer 9, the latest version of its market-leading browser.

Both pieces of software promise users a faster, more secure online experience.

Firefox, like its rival, now makes extensive use of HTML 5 - the newest standard for the hypertext language used to build websites.

Both browsers also feature hardware acceleration for displaying web pages - drawing on the power of a computer's graphics processor to improve the speed of complex visuals.
Declining share

Within its first 24 hours, more than 5.5 million users had downloaded Firefox 4. However, that falls short of the 8 million who downloaded version 3 on its release day in 2008.

The lower figure may be explained by the widespread availability of pre-release versions of Firefox 4 in the months ahead of its launch.

Firefox has enjoyed rapid growth since it first appeared in 2004. At its peak, in 2009 it held a 24% market share, according to Netmarketshare.

However, by February 2011 its slice of the browser market had fallen to 21%.

At the same time, Google's Chrome browser has grown from 1% to 10%, according to the same figures.

Internet Explorer remains the dominant platform, although its fall has been the most precipitous - from 68% in March 2009 to 56% in February 2011.

Some analysts believe that Firefox could still secure a bigger piece of the increasingly fragmented market, especially among corporate users.

"Internet Explorer 9 is only for Windows Vista and 7. Two thirds of companies are still using Windows XP," said Ovum analyst Richard Edwards.

"If you want to make the most of the HTML 5 stuff that is out there then you have to go to IE9 and a Windows 7 upgrade or switch to Firefox.

"That may be a significant opportunity for Firefox," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12829113

The current download figure is at 8,275,634 downloads and counting.

Atif
24th March 2011, 00:19
I'm using that now, it's a decent web browser.

Gotham Cronie
24th March 2011, 00:21
Can anybody who's using Chrome also compare them?

kaalakawaa
24th March 2011, 00:38
Can anybody who's using Chrome also compare them?

Stick to Chrome

New firefox is just as fast as Chrome on good days, but it's not such a revolutionary browser to warrant moving away from Chrome

kingusama92
24th March 2011, 00:50
Chrome is what I use.

Used to use Firefox, but Chrome was less clunky and was faster.

Not sure how they compare now, but I never went back after the upgrades.

saajidrox
18th April 2011, 11:46
i switched to chrome from firefox a long time ago i have been using chrome for some time now . now after firefox 4 release i m going back to firefox . chrome has one proccess for each tab in the taskmanager if i have 5 tabs open the mem usage is around 280,00 K. also chrome is not good handling flash after using for nearly two years i can tell that with no doubt . going back to the browser which took internet world by a storm when internet explorer was the popular browser back then

soo far i am loving FF4 chrome user you ought try this

*syed59*
18th April 2011, 12:41
I installed it maybe 2-3 days after its release hoping I would start liking it as much as those who do.

Its still not light . Still clunky. No speed dial. Addon dial isn't as smooth as chrome.
Typing for eg letter P in the address, I still have to press down arrow and then enter to select the pakpassion url unlike chrome where it appears as we type. This is something which annoys me the most.

I tried Opera and I thought its much better than Firefox.

But Chrome is still up there for me.

tahaqureshi
18th April 2011, 14:26
I've been very impressed with the new Firefox release - more than I thought I would be. But Chrome still has my loyalty. Nothing been able to replace it yet.

Foozee
18th April 2011, 16:17
chrome wins

hussnainn
18th April 2011, 16:32
Chrome is much better imo..

0tt0man
18th April 2011, 17:33
The new Opera 11 is great as well may I add. Infact I'm pondering on switching over to it from Chrome:moyo

FF was a letdown when I tried it a couple of years back

Geordie Ahmed
19th April 2011, 09:46
Just installed Chrome after a frustrating few days with Firefox 4 (not sure what has happened to it, might need to uninstall)

Chrome seems pretty cool and it seems like Firefox 4 is based on that, one question though I don't see a homepage option, is it possible to add it or is there an alternative way of doing it?

Geordie Ahmed
19th April 2011, 09:48
Actually ignore that last post, was a blonde moment - went into the settings and saw there was an option to show home button

saajidrox
19th April 2011, 09:57
Ignored
Btw reinstall firefox

chaiwala
19th April 2011, 10:50
Firefox is nice, but it is just too damn slow on start up. Once you start browsing, the speed is not bad though. Since I use the internet mainly for simple tasks such as watching videos, listening to music, and reading articles, I'm going to stick with Chrome.

Also, Firefox has a slightly odd UI, in my opinion.

Foozee
19th April 2011, 15:32
firefox 4 is slooow