PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Football tonight!!!

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 19:53
Barcelona v Chelsea

Fc Porto v Inter Milan

Man U v AC Milan

Werder Bremen v Lyon

predictions anyone?

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 19:57
Stam spices up Man Utd encounter

I was settled at United - I had even ordered a new kitchen

AC Milan defender Jaap Stam says Manchester United "know they made a mistake" by selling him in 2001.
The sides meet at Old Trafford in the Champions League game on Wednesday and the 32-year-old Dutchman's presence is sure to add spice to the fixture.

"United made a mistake in selling me," Stam told Uefa's Champions magazine.

"I was settled at Manchester United, but they wanted to sell me. If a club want to sell you, there is nothing you can do. You can be sold like cattle."

Sir Alex Ferguson surprised the football world - and Stam - by selling the Dutchman to Lazio for £16.5m in August 2001.

The decision came shortly after Stam claimed in his autobiography that Ferguson had tapped him up when he was at PSV Eindhoven.

But Ferguson insisted he sold the defender because the transfer fee was too good to refuse for a player past his prime.

The affair still rankles with the Dutchman.

We can't all be Wayne Rooneys - at his age I was training to be an electrician

Jaap Stam

"I was settled at Manchester United, I had even just ordered a new kitchen, but they wanted to sell me," he said.

"In what other industry can a good employee be ushered out the door against their wishes?

"Of course, you can refuse to go, but then the club have the power to put you on the bench. I don't agree that players control the game.

"There have been opportunities to confront them in the newspapers, but I have turned them down. What's the point?"

Wednesday's game at Old Trafford will provide an intriguing confrontation between United's young attackers Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo and Milan's veteran defence of Stam, Paolo Maldini, Cafu and Alessandro Costacurta.

Stam says Rooney's teenage stardom is in stark contract to his own start in the game.

"We can't all be Wayne Rooneys - at his age I was training to be an electrician and thought my chance of becoming a professional footballer had gone," he said.

"Starting late can be a good thing. Some kids who start early get bored.

"I had my youth - having fun, drinking beers, blowing up milk cannisters. It sounds strange but it's a tradition where I grew up in Kampen - and I had done all the things I wanted to do."

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 20:00
Head-to-head

Manchester United and AC Milan have met each other on four previous occasions with each winning their home games.
In the 1957/1958 Champions Cup semi-final, AC Milan won 5-2 on aggregate although they lost 2-1 at Old Trafford.
11 years later, Milan knocked United out at the same stage of the competition, this time winning the home leg 2-0 before losing the away leg 1-0.
Manchester United have hosted Italian opposition on 10 occasions, winning seven and losing just once.
That home defeat was against Juventus in November 1996, the Italians winning 1-0.
Manchester United are unbeaten in their last five home matches against Italian opposition.
Furthermore, United have won their last three matches (home and away) against Italian teams.
AC Milan have visited England nine times and never won, drawing twice and losing seven.
Their last visit was a 1-0 defeat at Leeds United in September 2000.
Milan's two draws in England were both goalless, at Everton in September 1975 and Chelsea in September 1999.
AC Milan have failed to score on their last four visits to England.
AC Milan have not won a match against English opposition (home and away) since beating Everton 1-0 in October 1975.
This is one of only six Milan victories against English clubs in 20 European matches.

European history

Manchester United have won the Champions Cup/Champions League twice, in 1967/1968 and 1998/1999.
United have also won the Cup Winners' Cup (1990/1991) as well as the Uefa Super Cup (1991) and Intercontinental Cup (1999) on one occasion each.
AC Milan have won six Champions Cup/Champions League trophies with the last coming in 2002/2003.
Milan have also won two Cup Winners' Cups, four Uefa Super Cups and three Intercontinental Cups.
Milan have reached the knock-out stage in six of their nine Champions League participations.
Manchester United have reached the knock-out rounds of the Champions League for the ninth season in a row.
This sequence represents a competition record.
The only United campaign that failed to negotiate the group phase came in the Red Devils' CL debut in 1994/1995.
Manchester United have been knocked out of European competition by Italian clubs on four occasions.
Juventus put United out of the Uefa Cup (1976/1977) and Cup Winners' Cup (1983/1984) in addition to United's two exits courtesy of AC Milan.
AC Milan have failed at the hands of English clubs on three occasions - Chelsea beat them in the 1965/1966 Fairs Cup, Tottenham Hotspur in the semi-finals of the 1971/1972 Uefa Cup and Manchester City in the 1978/1979 Uefa Cup.

Current European form

Manchester United have won their last four European home matches, three of which were in the Champions League.
United are unbeaten in their last 22 European home matches, 20 of which were in the Champions League.
United have scored in their last 18 European home matches, 16 of which were in the Champions League.
United lost their last European match, 3-0 in Turkey against FenerbahÁe.
Manchester United finished second behind Olympique Lyon in their first phase group.
AC Milan won Group F with four wins, one draw and one defeat. FC Barcelona were second.
AC Milan have lost just one European match this season, a 2-1 defeat in Barcelona.

Player and disciplinary info

No players are suspended for this match.
Manchester United's Liam Miller, Gabriel Heinze and Paul Scholes will be suspended on receiving another yellow card.
For AC Milan, Gennaro Gattuso is also one yellow away from suspension.
United employ this season's CL top scorer in Ruud van Nistelrooy. The Dutchman has netted eight times so far.
Van Nistelrooy was the single season CL top scorer in both 2001/2002 and 2002/2003.
He could become the first player to earn the distinction three times should he hold on to his lead.
Van Nistelrooy is also United's most prolific goalscorer in Champions League with 42 goals although he didn't score all of them as a United player.
Only Raķl has scored more Champions League goals than Van Nistelrooy.
United's most experienced player in the competition is Gary Neville who has played 89 matches.
Six others have broken the 50 barrier - Ryan Giggs (81), Paul Scholes (77), Ole Gunnar Solskjśr (71), Roy Keane (69), Phil Neville (59) and MikaŽl Silvestre (58) are the sextet.
None of the Manchester United squad have played in all six of their Champions League matches this season.
Milan striker Andrei Shevchenko has scored 31 Champions League goals in his career whilst team mate Filippo Inzaghi has 30 to his name.
Paolo Maldini is Milan's most experienced Champions League player with 80 appearances, all for AC Milan.
Four other Milan players - Clarence Seedorf (64), Andrei Shevchenko (62), Alessandro Costacurta (58) and Filippo Inzaghi (50) have broken the half century barrier.
Dida, Maldini, Alessandro Nesta, Seedorf and KakŠ have played in all six of Milan's Champions League matches this season.
Dida, Maldini and Nesta have been on the pitch for every one of the 540 minutes this season.

Other miscellaneous facts

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been in charge for more CL matches than any other trainer - 107 in total.
Manchester United have won their last five matches in all competitions and eight of their last nine.
Chelsea are the only team to have beaten Manchester United in 2005.
Manchester United have played 45 matches in all competitions this season, the most by an English club.
Milan have played 10 fewer matches than United in the 2004/2005 season.
Over the weekend, Manchester United beat Everton 2-0 in the fifth round of the FA Cup, thereby advancing to the stage of the last eight.
Manchester United are second in the FA Premiership, nine points behind leaders Chelsea.
Last Saturday, AC Milan beat Cagliari 1-0 on a goal by Serginho in injury-time. As leaders Juventus drew Messina 0-0, AC Milan took over the lead in the Serie A from Juventus on goal difference.

Rob H
23rd February 2005, 21:53
Chelsea v Barca. WIY is going to be very sorry when Barca lose 3-1

Waqar's inswinging yorker
23rd February 2005, 21:57
BARCA
BARCA
BARCA
BARCA
BARCA
BARCA
BARCA
BARCA
BARC A

MY PREDICTION 3-1 TO US!!!!!!

BARCA
BARCA

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 21:58
i hope so! wot about Man U?

23rd February 2005, 22:04
Barcelona 2-1 Chelsea

Fc Porto 0-2 Inter Milan

Man U 2-0 AC Milan

Werder Bremen 0-1 Lyon

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 22:10
i dont want chelsea to score any cos it will be an away goal but they probably will anyway!

which match are you gonna watch?

23rd February 2005, 22:12
I'll watch both but will have to watch United game mainly cos my brother if a ****ing Red Devil.

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 22:17
and your a scouse? |-n

23rd February 2005, 22:20
Rafa is still building a team. He has to get rid of all that crap Foolier gathered.

Watch out for us next season!

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 22:25
ill be watchin! ;-p

is it true Gerrard is going to Chelsea? I think he should come to us! Our team will be complete and then the only good player left in your squad will be morientes!

23rd February 2005, 22:35
ill be watchin! ;-p

is it true Gerrard is going to Chelsea? I think he should come to us! Our team will be complete and then the only good player left in your squad will be morientes!

By the level of ignorance in your comment, I'd guess your a Red Devil. :-D

Have you heard the names Alonso, Cisse, Carragher, Kirkland, Kewell? |-G

23rd February 2005, 22:36
Nice use of smilie btw

Geordie Ahmed
23rd February 2005, 22:36
Barcelona 2-1 Chelsea

Fc Porto 1-2 Inter Milan

Man U 2-1 AC Milan

Werder Bremen 2-1 Lyon

23rd February 2005, 22:45
so u predict a 2-1 night?

BTW, so far all home teams hae on their ties in this round!

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 22:53
i hope AC Milan dont score tonight it will be an away goal!

Pax
23rd February 2005, 22:57
Ac milan Lyon and Barca to win tonight.

23rd February 2005, 22:57
ill be watchin! ;-p

"Have you heard the names Alonso, Cisse, Carragher, Kirkland, Kewell? "

My question remains unanswered

Geordie Ahmed
23rd February 2005, 23:01
so u predict a 2-1 night?

BTW, so far all home teams hae on their ties in this round!

Yeah i think so, Barca may well grab a third BUT i feel Chelski will keep it to 2!

As long as Barca and AC Milan win im happy!

23rd February 2005, 23:05
Same here

Oxy
23rd February 2005, 23:05
Damien Duff WILL play tonite!

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 23:15
Man U WILL WIN!

And inshallah Ruud will score!

Cisse is amazing!, compared to Ameobi!
and kirkland is also great!, compared to Given wouldnt you agree Hitman?

if Newcastle can beat Chelski, it wont exactly be a struggle for Barca!

Geordie Ahmed
23rd February 2005, 23:15
Im not convinced Duff is fully fit BUT with Robben out they need to take the risk!

23rd February 2005, 23:23
"And inshallah Ruud will score!

Cisse is amazing!, compared to Ameobi!
and kirkland is also great!, compared to Given wouldnt you agree Hitman? "

Ruud might score. I wouldn't blame it if he didn't being far from match fit.

Cisse is better than Smith and Saha put together!

Kirkland is a good keeper. And Given is one of the best. Who do you have? Caroll. Haha.

I should stop this. Debating with a yuong Red Devil. I promised myself I wouldn't waste my time

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 23:23
dont think Duff will play!

Chelski have alot of injuries! :oD

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 23:27
oh really?

you have opened a can of worms now!

this means WAR! |-x

Abdul Qadir 236
23rd February 2005, 23:28
Hey! Roy Carroll is quality. He made a couple of errors but by and large has been superb for Utd. Nice to see someone from NI in the side.

My predictions for this week:

Tuesday:

Real (my tip to win)
Liverpool
Bayern
PSV/Monaco draw

so 3 right

tonight:

ManUtd
Lyon
Barcelona
Porto/Inter draw

Geordie Ahmed
23rd February 2005, 23:29
Kirkland is a good keeper BUT PLEASE dont compare him to GIVEN who is a notch higher!

Given is a world class keeper! i would say he has been the second best this season, Petr Cech has been amazing!

Given has been brilliant for Ireland, in the WC and the qualifying games!
I feel sorry for him because Given is a championship winning Keeper BUT he is unlikely to win anything at us!

23rd February 2005, 23:35
Kirkland is a good keeper BUT PLEASE dont compare him to GIVEN who is a notch higher!

Given is a world class keeper! i would say he has been the second best this season, Petr Cech has been amazing!

Given has been brilliant for Ireland, in the WC and the qualifying games!
I feel sorry for him because Given is a championship winning Keeper BUT he is unlikely to win anything at us!

I totally agree GA

Geordie Ahmed
23rd February 2005, 23:37
Gary how can you be right about predictions for yesterdays games when you made them today???? |-K |-K |-K and the funny thing is you still got one wrong :oD :oD :oD

23rd February 2005, 23:38
:oD

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 23:43
lets go through the list of trophies......

First theres the Treble we won- (you know the REAL one)

Then theres Rooney whos better than smith, saha AND cisse put together!

Last but not least of all theres the prem table, 5-2=.......

Geordie Ahmed
23rd February 2005, 23:49
assara Liverpool have won more european trophies than man-u!
they have also won more domestic titles i.e the old first division

Geordie Ahmed
23rd February 2005, 23:52
RVN is on the bench

Assara K
23rd February 2005, 23:54
WHAT!!!!!

23rd February 2005, 23:57
typical man utd fans - my blood boils!!!! really does - was so hoping it would be barca to put them in their rightful place - mediocrity but milan will do it anyway.

Hitman u must be pleased - told some ppl that rafa was building - trust the guy he is a great coach and with likes of garcia - lpool will be hot next season as will newcastle who only need a partner for boumsong - i suggest mexes - he wants out and those two are best of mates!!!!

Geordie Ahmed
24th February 2005, 00:00
Mexes is a good defender but he has some temperemental issues, a bit hot headed!

If Bramble plays like he did against Chelski then we dont need anyone BUT knowing Bramble he will make a mistake in the next game!

I want Steven Taylor to get a chance in Centre Half alongside Boumsong, Taylor is gonna be class and if he continues to progress then he will be playing for England in Centre Half!
Liverpool are interested in him and are trying to get him BUT we are not having that! he is gonna be ace, he will save the club Millions!

24th February 2005, 00:05
mexes is ideally a sweeper - compare him to a young laurent blanc!!! which a lot of ppl have said and that is a compliment

Geordie Ahmed
24th February 2005, 00:12
The little that i have seen Mexes okay i think Taylor is gonna be far better if he continues to progress!

Amjid Javed
24th February 2005, 00:18
games have started... united go close early on v milan thru scholes.

Amjid Javed
24th February 2005, 00:24
seedorf smashes ball against bar from 25 yard free kick...shud be 1-0

Amjid Javed
24th February 2005, 00:27
omg scholes, now misses gr8 chance! what a game!

Amjid Javed
24th February 2005, 00:28
costa has a shot blocked now...! wont finish 0-0!

24th February 2005, 00:53
offside goal for chelsea - but these things happen

24th February 2005, 01:44
GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

MAXI WHAT A GOAL 1-1!!!!!!

BARCA ARE ON TOP !!!! CMMON BOYZ - CHELSEA WATCH OUT - WE MUST GET AFTER THEM 1-1 WOULD BE GOOD FOR US BUT CMMON!!!

24th February 2005, 01:50
GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLL

ETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - MAXI HAS MADE THE DIFFERENCE

Uzi
24th February 2005, 02:20
Roy Carroll with a howler. I would have taken a 0-0, but now it is going to be very difficult for Man u at the San Siro.

Amjid Javed
24th February 2005, 03:04
what a mess up by caroll this guys a clown, he was lucky with spurs goal! lol!

Geordie Ahmed
24th February 2005, 04:03
Hey! Roy Carroll is quality. He made a couple of errors but by and large has been superb for Utd. Nice to see someone from NI in the side.

Tuesday:

Real (my tip to win)
Liverpool
Bayern
PSV/Monaco draw

so 3 right

tonight:

ManUtd
Lyon
Barcelona
Porto/Inter draw

:oD :oD :oD :oD

What do you think eh????

Amjid Javed
24th February 2005, 12:37
this weeks lottery numbers?

Geordie Ahmed
24th February 2005, 20:59
this weeks lottery numbers?

|-D |-D

24th February 2005, 21:42

Tuesday:

Real (my tip to win)
Liverpool
Bayern
PSV/Monaco draw

so 3 right

tonight:

ManUtd
Lyon
Barcelona
Porto/Inter draw

:oD :oD :oD :oD

What do you think eh????

:oD :oD

adi 101
24th February 2005, 21:57
pakpassion seems dead today

Assara K
24th February 2005, 21:58
hats because everyone is depressed bacause Man U lost! :o^

24th February 2005, 22:01
NOPE
I'M SO HAPPY - BARCA BEAT CHELSEA + MAN UTD LOST LIKE I AND OTHERS HAVE BEEN SAYING!!!!!! LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WHERE IS JAMMELBHAI? OR UMER GUL ON HERE - cmmon boyz what's wrong - i though man utd were a great side? they were better than barca etc and would beat MILAN LOL - HAHAHA

Assara K
24th February 2005, 22:16
|-n am angry ManU lost Wot a crap game

wrong formation

1 STRIKER! :-^

CHELSKI LOST :oD

Geordie Ahmed
25th February 2005, 02:42
NEWCASTLE UNITED are through to the next round of the UEFA CUP |-T |-T |-T |-T |-T |-T

25th February 2005, 02:52
Well done Newcastle

Geordie Ahmed
25th February 2005, 03:06
Shearer has 12 goals to go to equal WOR JACKIES record!

25th February 2005, 03:11
jackie milburn was a great great player - wow what an honour for shearer

Geordie Ahmed
25th February 2005, 03:15
Personally i would like them to tie!
Shearer's 200th being the FA Cup final winner :-D :-D :-D (for Newcastle i might add)

25th February 2005, 03:27
why not the uefa cup?

Geordie Ahmed
25th February 2005, 03:51
The FA cup would mean more to me and Newcastle fans as well!
I would not mind us doing the DOUBLE tho :-D :-D :-D AND Shearer can get the winner in that as well!
(atleast it would shut the manure fans up, who say he should have joined united cos he would have won more)
He may have won more BUT there can be no greater feeling for a Geordie than leading Newcastle United at St James Park

25th February 2005, 03:58
United are a club on the fall

Geordie Ahmed
25th February 2005, 04:11
United are a club on the fall

which United?

Assara K
25th February 2005, 10:59
UNITED ARENT ON THE FALL!

but fergie is!- changin a winnin side- and messin with the formation!

25th February 2005, 11:04
united are on a fall - like i said - i was so hoping barca would have gotten man utd as then we could have put them in their place - a boring,unimaginative, long ball favouring, has been, over rated side.