PDA

View Full Version : One million Bangladesh homes on solar power

W63L35
4th August 2011, 08:07
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-06-million-bangladesh-homes-solar-power.html

One million Bangladesh homes on solar power

The number of households in electricity-starved Bangladesh using solar panels has crossed the one million mark -- the fastest expansion of solar use in the world, officials said Wednesday.

In 2002, just 7,000 households were using solar panels but now more than a million households -- or some five million people -- gather solar energy, said Nazmul Haq of the Infrastructure Development Company (IDCOL).

"It's the fastest expansion of solar energy anywhere in the world," said Haq, who heads the state-run IDCOL, which provides financing for clean energy projects.

"We crossed the one million threshold more than 18 months ahead of schedule (and) we have set a new target to cross 2.5 million by 2014," he said.

Rural households in Bangladesh are frequently not on the state electrical grid and so have embraced solar power, helped by NGOs providing panels which can be paid for in small monthly installments.

Some 60 percent of Bangladesh's 150 million people have no access to mains electricity, with many relying on costly kerosene lamps for lighting.

Years of under-investment in infrastructure means state-owned power plants generate only around 4,700 megawatts of electricity a day against demand of 6,000 megawatts -- which is growing by 500 megawatts a year.

A World Bank report last month said solar panels had "changed the face of the remote, rural areas of Bangladesh," by providing cheap, reliable electricity.

Why can't something like this be done in Pakistan??

kkmix
4th August 2011, 08:26
we have solar panel in our house in Pakistan, I am not telling you my address :P.

freelance_cricketer
4th August 2011, 08:42
Bangladesh is going good, i hope they keep improving :)

Striver
4th August 2011, 09:49
Good on our Bangali bros. Allah unko aur b ziada taraqqi de.

Looney
4th August 2011, 10:11
Nothing beats a kunda :butt

Buffet
4th August 2011, 10:22
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-06-million-bangladesh-homes-solar-power.html

Why can't something like this be done in Pakistan??

Solar energy is still not cost effective. It's matter of time before it becomes cost effective and used widely. Human society will not have problems with energy because once solar becomes cost effective, you have a source which can be harvested till earth life is over.

Bangladesh situation can be replicated in pakistan also. It is the matter of encouraging it at grass root level but it has to be subsidized one way or another.

pia786
4th August 2011, 15:42
There has been a bit of debate about Solar in the UK context on the 'Dragons Den' and 'Buying Shares' thread recently.

In the Bangladesh context I am cynical as to how they have achieved such penetration.

Going back to the UK, cost of buying and installing solar panels on my house to supply about 1-1.5kW would cost 12-14,000. My annual Electric and Gas bill is of the order of 1,000. So the 'payback' period is about 12-14 years. It tends to be a bit of a vanity project, or tree hugger favourite and especially good for Middle Class savers who can afford initial capital cost and get better return than having cash in the bank. They also benefit from Taxpayer subsidy so it is a bit of wealth distribution from the poor/working class to Middle Class in my eyes. The Sun hardly shines/intermittent so when you need electricity to power/light your home in Winter/darkness you are back to relying on the central power network.

In Bangladesh especially in rural areas where it would be to costly to build out the electricity distribution network solar is probably a very good idea due to high amount of sun and you probably need the power most to run fans/air conditioning/fridges etc when the Sun is out.

However I am deeply cynical about how it is financed.

I suspect it is a cosy stitch up for many vested interests.

Bangladesh can claim some Development Aid for 'going green' from Western donors.
The Western donors can 'point' the Bangladeshis towards Western suppliers of solar panels.
I doubt many Bangladeshi rural inhabitants can afford 12-14k for a solar panel but they may not use that much electricity so even 2-4k might be a big ask. I suspect what they get from the Western sponsored 'Development Aid' are end of line/slightly defective, previous generation solar cells/panels. Thus everyone is a 'winner'.

At the end of the day on a standalone basis solar is not a cost effective means of generating power for the vast majority of a population. Bangladesh and Pakistan both should develop and utilise their God given resources of coal and gas to power their own economies.

Lara400
4th August 2011, 15:45
we have solar panel in our house in Pakistan, I am not telling you my address :P.

I'm really interested to know how much they cost and how long it keeps your property running?

Vegitto1
4th August 2011, 16:50
Solar Panel in Pakistan is expensive due to the amount of tax the government has placed on it.

It is not in the interest of the Gov't to have WAPDA undermined by means of alternative energy.

Corruption is holding back the solar revolution in Pakistan.

pia786
4th August 2011, 17:22
What a nonsense attitude. If anything they should tax dirty oil/coal and subsidise solar ! Not that I agree with that but subsidising dirty oil/coal and taxing solar is like giving a drug addict free heroine and charging him for methodone.

Vegitto1
4th August 2011, 17:44
jxK5v6cfSUE

This video highlights the gov'ts role in holding back Pakistan from fully embracing solar power

Mr.Saga
4th August 2011, 21:16
There has been a bit of debate about Solar in the UK context on the 'Dragons Den' and 'Buying Shares' thread recently.

In the Bangladesh context I am cynical as to how they have achieved such penetration.

Going back to the UK, cost of buying and installing solar panels on my house to supply about 1-1.5kW would cost 12-14,000. My annual Electric and Gas bill is of the order of 1,000. So the 'payback' period is about 12-14 years. It tends to be a bit of a vanity project, or tree hugger favourite and especially good for Middle Class savers who can afford initial capital cost and get better return than having cash in the bank. They also benefit from Taxpayer subsidy so it is a bit of wealth distribution from the poor/working class to Middle Class in my eyes. The Sun hardly shines/intermittent so when you need electricity to power/light your home in Winter/darkness you are back to relying on the central power network.

In Bangladesh especially in rural areas where it would be to costly to build out the electricity distribution network solar is probably a very good idea due to high amount of sun and you probably need the power most to run fans/air conditioning/fridges etc when the Sun is out.

However I am deeply cynical about how it is financed.

I suspect it is a cosy stitch up for many vested interests.

Bangladesh can claim some Development Aid for 'going green' from Western donors.
The Western donors can 'point' the Bangladeshis towards Western suppliers of solar panels.
I doubt many Bangladeshi rural inhabitants can afford 12-14k for a solar panel but they may not use that much electricity so even 2-4k might be a big ask. I suspect what they get from the Western sponsored 'Development Aid' are end of line/slightly defective, previous generation solar cells/panels. Thus everyone is a 'winner'.

At the end of the day on a standalone basis solar is not a cost effective means of generating power for the vast majority of a population. Bangladesh and Pakistan both should develop and utilise their God given resources of coal and gas to power their own economies.

Similar cost here in Canada. The panels are just too expensive at the moment, and with people moving houses all the time, noone wants to invest in them as of yet. Like you said, they probably have much smaller and fewer panels, enough for a few lightbulbs.

but i disagree with giving up on solar power. I think this alternative should be provided to Pakistani households at a more reasonable rate. Maybe not today, but in good time the cost of the panels will come down. Pakistan can get a head start by taking an initiative to research and develop low cost panels. Similar to the electric car recharging infrastructure tel Aviv was focusing on.

riasat
5th August 2011, 22:18
You are talking abt rural bangladeshi population. They had no access to electricity ever. The solar panels that are installed are usually worth US $ 200 only. They usually run couple of 60-100W bulbs, a fan and can charge mobiles. It however helps the rural children to study at night and the adult to conduct their businesses long after sunset. it might seem like a small step but when you look at the penetration of this project to so many rural houses, u can call it a giant leap.