PDA

View Full Version : Any football players that were regarded as one season wonders?

Theo_14
9th August 2011, 16:58
So who are they? Players that have had one season (or there abouts) of brilliance, impressive performances, praise and adulation.

It's a tough question but one player that instantly comes into my mind is... Stephen Ireland. He had a excellent season during 2008-09, scoring around 15 goals and claiming around 7-8 assists too, was named City's best player of the season BUT since then... He has failed to level that performances or statistic and it clearly was a one season wonder from Ireland.

Marcus Stewart is another, pretty sure he scored 19 goals for Ipswich when they got promoted a few years back. He probably got about 6 the following year, then moved to Sunderland where he was simply awful.

Any other players that had one excellent season but after that they failed to repeat those season performances?

ozzy_07
9th August 2011, 17:17
I remember Jose Antonio Reyes had a pretty good start to his Arsenal career, then his form tailed off pretty quickly.

PakFan2010
9th August 2011, 17:28
Easy winner

Amir Zaki

Theo_14
9th August 2011, 17:35
I remember Jose Antonio Reyes had a pretty good start to his Arsenal career, then his form tailed off pretty quickly.

Reyes showed quality in his performances in 7-8 games or so, I wouldn't call that a one season wonder. Thought he could do well at Arsenal but breaking through the invincibles first eleven was always going to be a tough task for the Spaniard.

Easy winner

Amir Zaki

Amr Zaki showed glimpses of quality - pretty sure he didn't have a one season wonder, more like a... Half season wonder.

Surley there's a few Spurs players you can mention? :D

ozzy_07
9th August 2011, 17:35
Easy winner

Amir Zaki

Yes and no, the guy only really had one proper season in the Premier League and in that season he done very well overall.

His second stint was only a few games with Hull which you can't really make a judgement on.

ozzy_07
9th August 2011, 17:43
Reyes showed quality in his performances in 7-8 games or so, I wouldn't call that a one season wonder. Thought he could do well at Arsenal but breaking through the invincibles first eleven was always going to be a tough task for the Spaniard.

Actually checking the stats I agree he wasn't a one-season wonder, but I wouldn't say he only showed quality in his first 7-8 games either. Comes across as if he was a decent player for a couple of seasons who's form then dipped pretty badly.

Amir
9th August 2011, 18:33
Pederson from Blackburn, Bentley too

Theo_14
9th August 2011, 18:39
Actually checking the stats I agree he wasn't a one-season wonder, but I wouldn't say he only showed quality in his first 7-8 games either. Comes across as if he was a decent player for a couple of seasons who's form then dipped pretty badly.

I'd say season 2004-05 was a 'half season wonder' for him, he scored around 12 goals, but during the 2nd half of the season he completely vanished, similiar with Nasri but Nasri did show glimpses of quality in the 2nd half of the season, last season.

Pederson from Blackburn, Bentley too

Bentley like GDS has ruined his career by making a move to Spurs' although Bentley's hattrick versus Manchester United was brilliant. :P

Any Manchester United players? Saha? Forlan?

ozzy_07
9th August 2011, 18:48
Any Manchester United players? Saha? Forlan?

Saha was pretty decent for a few seasons. Forlan on the whole flopped, but out of the few goals he did score there were some very important ones.

Can't really think of any one-season wonders for us, on the whole our signings are either very good, or complete flops (ala Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Veron).

Theo_14
9th August 2011, 19:03
Saha was pretty decent for a few seasons. Forlan on the whole flopped, but out of the few goals he did score there were some very important ones.

Can't really think of any one-season wonders for us, on the whole our signings are either very good, or complete flops (ala Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Veron).

Saha's former team mate Yakubu is one player that comes to my mind. He had a one season wonder at Portsmouth and since then he failed repeat the same performances for the same club although he showed glimpses of quality for Everton but yet again injuries also affected him and there was speculation that he didn't mention his actual age, most nigerian/african players are playing or have played with fake ages.

Gujar
9th August 2011, 19:32
Joseph Yobo. Was quality when Everton first signed him. Not exactly a one season wonder, maybe a two/three season wonder. Still relatively young but has totally fallen away.

Punisher
9th August 2011, 19:47
Sissoko from Liverpool.

Geordie Ahmed
10th August 2011, 01:12
Michael Ricketts for Bolton comes to mind

Geordie Ahmed
10th August 2011, 01:18
Michael Bridges - though he was more of a 2 season wonder. Had an excellent season in The Championship for the Mackems and then another excellent season for Leeds in the Premiership BUT failed to do anything after that (largely due to injuries)

Theo_14
10th August 2011, 02:15
Trying to think of Arsenal player's that have had one season wonder's and... Adebayor is one player that comes to my mind. He had one outstanding season where he scored around 30 goals but since then he failed to repeat the same performances or take his goalscoring tally near 30 or even 15, same goes for his time at Manchester City, I guess.

AZ
11th August 2011, 08:49
how did anyone not mention Kevin 'the new Shearer' Philips?! :)))

Arsenal fans...Francis Jeffers? :)))

Geordie Ahmed
11th August 2011, 09:02
how did anyone not mention Kevin 'the new Shearer' Philips?! :)))

Arsenal fans...Francis Jeffers? :)))

To be fair to Phillips he had a canny career, never matched the 30 goal season BUT still did well enough

Jeffers was junk for Arsenal and every club after that, did well at Everton though don't think he ever had 1 standout season

Gujar
11th August 2011, 19:29
Richard Wright. Was regarded as Seaman's replacement when he was at Ipswich. Done well at Portman Road but made the move to Highbury and was never the same.

Theo_14
12th August 2011, 01:09
Despite it being 2 different leagues... Taraabt is one possible player who could end up having a one season wonder. He was simply outstanding in the Championship and now it's time for him to do the same, but this time at a higher and different level, it's certainly going to be a tough task to achieve... But it's a challenge which he compete with.

Manchester City fans tend to be clueless and claim that Robinho had a one season wonder at Manchester City - but to be fair, he was given a chance after that, the Brazillian was clearly mis-treated and another player that comes to mind is Blackburn's Santa Cruz - where he scored around 30 goals but since then, failed to even score 10 goals.

mudasar
18th August 2011, 19:54
juan pablo angel for aston villa

SempreSami
18th August 2011, 21:09
Mido

Gujar
18th August 2011, 21:16
Berbatov. Was clas for Tottenham in that one season. Then United signed him and he's only shown that form in patches.

Asif khan
18th August 2011, 21:22
James Beatie
Danny Cadematerie
Roque Santa Cruz

PakPrince
18th August 2011, 22:28
a little bit harsh but maybe Adebayor too.

Had one great season at Arsenal where it looked like he is one of the top strikers in the world.

Has done okay i patches after that and a lot has to do with his mind boggling unfair treatment at Man City but he has not looked like a world beater since

Amir
18th August 2011, 22:34
Berbatov. Was clas for Tottenham in that one season. Then United signed him and he's only shown that form in patches.

He was good at Leverkusen too though.

PakPrince
18th August 2011, 22:45
Berbatov.. where did he come from?

one season wonder and yet top goalscorer for utd last year?

Theo_14
18th August 2011, 23:25
I think Santa Cruz and Ireland are ideal and more recent examples of one season wonders.

Both of them had a brilliant goalscoring season BUT after that... They've been in no man's land are both struggling to repcature their best form.