PDA

View Full Version : Ranger who Killed Sarfaraz Shah has been Sentenced to DEATH

Mian Hassan
12th August 2011, 15:04
GEO>TV

The Ranger who shot has been sentenced to death... But the other six have been give life sentences

fair enough...

KARACHI: The Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) announced its verdict in the Sarfaraz Shah killing case Thursday, Geo News reported. According to the verdict, Rangers person Shahid Zafar who shot Sarafaraz Shah was awarded the death sentence while the remaining six accused were sentenced to life in prison.

Speaking to the media after the courts verdict, the brother of Sarfaraz Shah said he was satisfied with the decision of the court and thanked the Chief Justice of Pakistan for taking notice of this case. Sarfaraz Shah’s father while speaking to Geo News, said the decision was on merit and it should be upheld by the superior courts and implemented. “God listened to our prayers, we spent the last two months crying,” he added. His mother said she was happy with the decision but complete justice would be served when the death sentence would be carried out.

Sarfaraz Shah was killed in cold blood by the Rangers personnel on June 8 after he was handed over to them by the private contractor, Afsar Khan, accusing him of committing theft and looting.

However, TV footage of the killing showed that the Rangers personnel shot the unarmed Shah twice and after injuring him seriously they watched him bleed to death instead of shifting him to hospital for medical treatment. The defendants, however, denied the prosecution charges.

The Rangers personnel and the private contractor were arrested under the anti-terrorism law as well as murder charges under the Pakistan Penal Code after the Supreme Court took suo moto notice of the brutal murder.

The case was registered against the accused by the Boat Basin police under sections 302, 34, and 36 of the Pakistan Penal Code read with Section 7 of the Anti-Terrorism Act.

The police charge-sheeted the Rangers personnel and the private contractor for deliberately murdering Shah, submitting that the accused first caused injuries to the young man with their common intention and later denied him medical treatment. Shah succumbed to his injuries due to excessive bleeding and lack of medical care, the police charged.

The prosecution had named 46 witnesses, including eyewitnesses, in the charge sheet in addition to a list of 14 articles, including the crime weapon, to prove the guilt of the accused.

The trial had to be concluded within 30 days as per the directives of the Supreme Court, which had ordered that the trial be conducted on a day-to-day basis and completed within a month.

However, owing to the lawyers’ boycott of court proceedings against the recent target killings of lawyers the hearing of the case was affected and concluded on August 9.

http://geo.tv/8-12-2011/84895.htm

Energy
12th August 2011, 15:05
Yes saw Geo. Fair enough.

insaftak
12th August 2011, 15:06
Finally some Insaf.

Mian Hassan
12th August 2011, 15:08
Waste of Life...

Mian Hassan
12th August 2011, 15:09
Why have the other 6 been given such harsh punishment.....

I would only give the shooter... and the bloke that kept saying shoot him shoot him... the rest should be given less harsh sentences

SAF
12th August 2011, 15:20
Agree with the death sentence. He deserved it.

in_cutter
12th August 2011, 15:25
Good news...

...meanwhile, a year has passed..the family of Mughees/Muneeb are still awaiting justice. Some of the defendants lynching them on the video have been bailed..because 'there is not enough evidence against them'...even though they have been caught on tape :-/

guvi
12th August 2011, 15:53
really swift judicial trail I must say! what are the chances that lone death sentence will turn into a life sentence? most probably I guess...

Mian Hassan
12th August 2011, 16:07
Good news...

...meanwhile, a year has passed..the family of Mughees/Muneeb are still awaiting justice. Some of the defendants lynching them on the video have been bailed..because 'there is not enough evidence against them'...even though they have been caught on tape :-/

There is a Video on that... with evidence that mughees/muneeb killed the 2 people there.. and also that they were robbers....

I am not saying that what happend was right but you need to see that video its quiet a eye opener...

they killed a guy who's daughter got born 2 months after he died.. very tragic

Mian Hassan
12th August 2011, 16:09
Good news...

here i found you the video... ... watch it..

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sWegPCwyqx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

they should not have been tortured this way but... they would have got the death sentence anyway.

The ISI found proof against them etc...

They should not have taken the law in their own hands... but if somebody's brother gets shot infront of his eyes what would they have done?? .

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN
12th August 2011, 16:23
Good decision, he deserves it.

WiiiCKET
12th August 2011, 16:40
^ there is a good saying " Kabhi Ankhon dekha sach, sach nahi hota"

People should realize that both brothers were murderer.

But then again people should not have taken law in there hand.

ahsan88
12th August 2011, 17:00
A life term would have been enough, i am against the death penalty.

The Salman Taseer case is also an open & shut case, wonder when justice will be delivered there.

iZaman
12th August 2011, 18:07
Please tell me you are not a Muslim ^ ^
If you deny the Death Punishment, you deny Shariah automatically.
You deny the Prophet SAW rule, his following 4 Caliph and the following Muslim caliphates over 1400 years.

magpie45
12th August 2011, 19:02

The Salman Taseer case is also an open & shut case, wonder when justice will be delivered there.

Yeah same I think he should just have been given a life sentence

Mr.Saga
12th August 2011, 19:14
I hope it was a fair trial. Even in the west trials involving such huge sentences don't happen this quickly.

Theo_14
12th August 2011, 20:03
Why have the other 6 been given such harsh punishment.....

I would only give the shooter... and the bloke that kept saying shoot him shoot him... the rest should be given less harsh sentences

The 6 were part of the scene. I think the other 6 who recieved life sentences have recieved it rightly so, 2-3 of them constantly pressurized the shooter to kill the victim and also while he was suffering, all they did was... Just walk around him, as if nothing was happening, very sickening.

Good decisions made... For once.

Mohsin
12th August 2011, 20:36
And what about this terrorists that are caught....and then let go?!

Selective Insaaf is not good enough

Saad Hasan
12th August 2011, 20:54
And the target killers, some of whom fly in regularly from South Africa and leave the same day they commit murders on bhai's behest roam free...what travesty of justice...

Mohsin
12th August 2011, 20:56
And the target killers, some of whom fly in regularly from South Africa and leave the same day they commit murders on bhai's behest roam free...what travesty of justice...

Ditto

Saad Hasan
12th August 2011, 21:23

Not quite, per Pakistani law, a ghustakh-e-rasool is liable to be subjected to the full brunt of the law, which in this case would be death penatly...

If anything the killer of Taseer can be prosecuted for vigilantism, certainly not murder...

shark11
12th August 2011, 21:41
very good news.........first time I am seeing justice being done to someone in Pakistan.....Now the animals in uniform in future will think twice before committing such a horrible crime.......

ahsan88
12th August 2011, 21:59
Not quite, per Pakistani law, a ghustakh-e-rasool is liable to be subjected to the full brunt of the law, which in this case would be death penatly...

If anything the killer of Taseer can be prosecuted for vigilantism, certainly not murder...

Salman Taseer being a Gustakh e Rasool is a whole other debate.

kkmix
12th August 2011, 22:04
Totally against the death penalties, whatever the crime is ... life sentence was adequate.

Saad Hasan
12th August 2011, 22:33
While we are at it...any news of death penalties for the sialkoti brothers' brutal and barbaric murder...

12cavalry
12th August 2011, 22:45
And what about this terrorists that are caught....and then let go?!

Selective Insaaf is not good enough

ditto

Warfare
12th August 2011, 23:14
Please tell me you are not a Muslim ^ ^
If you deny the Death Punishment, you deny Shariah automatically.
You deny the Prophet SAW rule, his following 4 Caliph and the following Muslim caliphates over 1400 years.

Lol, please don't turn this into a religious issue. And yes, many muslims don't agree with Shariah law.

Looney
13th August 2011, 00:12
did someone have the ranger kill Shah ? ;/

Legend Killer
13th August 2011, 00:24
Great decision, the rangers got what they deserved

Third Umpire
13th August 2011, 01:20

I can only hope this was a joke.

waqar_ahmad
13th August 2011, 02:06
Good to see some justice

Saad Hasan
13th August 2011, 03:13
I can only hope this was a joke.

You are certainly not the only one to think Pakistan's constitution which holds the Quran as the supreme law, to be a joke...

Wiji
13th August 2011, 05:20
Now, I will not claim to know the complete facts of this case. I have seen the disturbing video. But it left me with a number of uncertainties regarding the case.

1. Why were the rangers there in the first place, and why were they trying to arrest the person? What led to this incident? This has not been made clear.

2. The victim was clearly pulling at the rangers gun time and time after he was told not to. In any jurisdiction, when a cop has a gun pointed at you and you try grabbing it, you are asking for trouble. Note that this is not justification for his shooting. But a cop and his gun are inseparable and untouchable by anyone else, not least a suspect at a crime scene.

3. Who is recording the video?

4. The rangers looked woefully inept to deal with this simple situation. Most of them were fat and over-aged from what I remember. They couldn't restrain/arrest an unarmed suspect. The poor training is the result of a backward system. Let's not forget this is a third world country with one of the most inefficient police force in the world.

Now, I am no lawyer nor judge. But handing out a death sentence for this case needs justification. I wonder if that has been made public. To me, it seems like the jurors have fallen to public, popular, and political pressure.

Yes, an innocent man did die a brutal and tragic death. But let's not forget the kind of dangers these cops deal with every single day of their duty in one of the most dangerous countries and cities in the world.

Hash
13th August 2011, 05:51
I don't agree with the death penalty under any circumstances and have a strong moral objection to it.

As has already been stated in this thread, life in prison would have sufficed.

But nevertheless he has been convicted so some justice has been served.

Hash
13th August 2011, 05:52

oh dear.

asian123
13th August 2011, 08:22
Good news...

Are you talking about the murder of the 2 boys in Sialkot? I thought that the people were caught? And, shouldn't a video be the best source of evidence against someone? :S

Down2Earth
13th August 2011, 08:38
i hope the situation of karachi and the rangers' surroundings were taken into account when they gave this judgement. these rangers were called in to control the city and were being targetted, mentally there's so much one can take.

Fawad
13th August 2011, 19:48
The ranger should be lynched in public.

Saad Hasan
13th August 2011, 20:48
Meanwhile some of the killers of sialkoti brother are out on bail and the rest are scott free, and police officers complicit in the murders back on duty as well...