PDA

View Full Version : US ex-gang boss denied clemency

Geordie Ahmed
13th December 2005, 09:53
The governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, has denied clemency to former Crips gang leader Stanley "Tookie" Williams.

Williams, 51, is now scheduled for execution at 0001 (0801GMT) on Tuesday.

On Monday evening, the US Supreme Court refused a stay of execution, as had California's Supreme Court and a federal appeals court.

A high-profile campaign with celebrity backing has fought to save Williams, who denies four murders in 1979.

With the rejection of his appeal by the US Supreme Court, Williams has exhausted all legal avenues.

He will be executed by lethal injection just after midnight local time at San Quentin prison, north of San Francisco.

Several hundred of his supporters have gathered at the prison gates to protest his innocence, burning candles, beating drums and singing.

The BBC's Peter Bowes says the atmosphere is growing increasingly tense, as the hour of Williams' execution approaches.

A handful of people are staging a counter demonstration in favour of the death penalty.

bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4523098.stm)

================================================== =======

Not long to go - what are ppl's opinion on this!? im not in favour of the death penalty but i feel this guy has done a lot of work that him being alive is more use than dead!

nafajafam
13th December 2005, 10:30
The governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger, has denied clemency to former Crips gang leader Stanley "Tookie" Williams.

Williams, 51, is now scheduled for execution at 0001 (0801GMT) on Tuesday.

On Monday evening, the US Supreme Court refused a stay of execution, as had California's Supreme Court and a federal appeals court.

A high-profile campaign with celebrity backing has fought to save Williams, who denies four murders in 1979.

With the rejection of his appeal by the US Supreme Court, Williams has exhausted all legal avenues.

He will be executed by lethal injection just after midnight local time at San Quentin prison, north of San Francisco.

Several hundred of his supporters have gathered at the prison gates to protest his innocence, burning candles, beating drums and singing.

The BBC's Peter Bowes says the atmosphere is growing increasingly tense, as the hour of Williams' execution approaches.

A handful of people are staging a counter demonstration in favour of the death penalty.

bbc.co.uk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4523098.stm)

================================================== =======

Not long to go - what are ppl's opinion on this!? im not in favour of the death penalty but i feel this guy has done a lot of work that him being alive is more use than dead!

Now that is sick. :30:

Invictus
13th December 2005, 14:56
This dude started the crips. Who in-turn facilitated the birth of bloods (gangs based outta Cali).

Geordie Ahmed
13th December 2005, 15:04
This dude started the crips. Who in-turn facilitated the birth of bloods (gangs based outta Cali).

your point being?

by murdering him the crips and gangs are not going to end now are they? atleast he was doing something positive whilst he was in jail, i just felt that he was more use alive than dead!

Invictus
13th December 2005, 15:43
I was not making a point just pointing out a fact. Dude was on trial for killing a family and a I think one other guy thats apart from the all the killings that resulted from the gang violence he help orchestrate. Just because he was "reformed" does not justify letting him go. I am against the death penalty but I wont loose sleep over this guy getting the lethal injection.

Geordie Ahmed
13th December 2005, 15:51
I was not making a point just pointing out a fact. Dude was on trial for killing a family and a I think one other guy thats apart from the all the killings that resulted from the gang violence he help orchestrate. Just because he was "reformed" does not justify letting him go. I am against the death penalty but I wont loose sleep over this guy getting the lethal injection.

well he has denied that all along (whether it happened or not i do not know), its odd that if he admitted and apologised for it he would not have been murdered :20:

i NEVER at any point said he should be let go - simply that he shudnt be murdered cos he is actually doing some good and he was more benficial to the world alive than dead

in_cutter
13th December 2005, 16:06
Man was a beast back in the days :O

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41116000/jpg/_41116234_tookie203longap.jpg

mulan
13th December 2005, 16:17
'Tookie' Williams executed
13/12/2005 11:58 - (SA)

California - United States authorities on Tuesday executed Stanley "Tookie" Williams, a convicted killer who was at the centre of one of biggest anti-death penalty campaigns in the United States in decades, a spokesperson for San Quentin prison said.

Williams, executed by lethal injection, was declared dead at 12:35, she added.

Williams, 51, was found guilty in 1981 of four murders, those of a convenience store clerk and a family of Chinese immigrants.

He had admitted being a founder of the brutal Crips gang that terrorised Los Angeles at the time but denied the killings. While on death row he renounced his violent past and wrote acclaimed books to try to persuade youths not to join gangs.

...All court appeals were rejected and California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger turned down his clemency bid on Monday.

"Clemency cases are always difficult and this one is no exception," Schwarzenegger said in a statement.

"After studying the evidence, searching the history, listening to the arguments and wrestling with the profound consequences, I could find no justification for granting clemency.

"The facts do not justify overturning the jury's verdict or the decisions of the courts in this case," the governor added.

Oxy
13th December 2005, 17:07
...what's all this nonsense that he is a 'reformed man'? More and more people than ever before are dying in 'gangland style' killings/shootings etc etc etc.

You could argue that he has FAILED in whatever 'do-gooder' role he has conveniently adopted since his arrest.

Get rid of him-if he gets off, the next murderer knows he will also get off!

Geordie Ahmed
13th December 2005, 17:14
...what's all this nonsense that he is a 'reformed man'? More and more people than ever before are dying in 'gangland style' killings/shootings etc etc etc.

You could argue that he has FAILED in whatever 'do-gooder' role he has conveniently adopted since his arrest.

he has been gotten rid of

Oxy
13th December 2005, 17:15
...thanks for the update. Good riddance.

Geordie Ahmed
13th December 2005, 17:24
Im not even sure whether he committed those murders - i mean the guy til the day he was murdered maintained his innocence, all he had to say was im sorry and he would have been spared the death sentence BUT he didnt do that!

granted he started the crips but i dont think he should have been murdered

Big Mac
13th December 2005, 17:25

Because the death penalty has been so effective as a deterrent hasn't it?

Hash
13th December 2005, 19:35
you are talking rubbish oxy....don't mean to be rude.

He has written several books on his life about how crime is not worth it. He spent much of his prison time lecuring youths about not getting into crime. That was why he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Nobody is saying let him walk free. Just don't murder him. He was doing a lot of good alive with young black youths in America. He could have spent the rest of his life in prison and influenced the lives of many young males away from crime. That will not happen now.

Hash
13th December 2005, 19:35
Exactly Mig Mac!

Jimmy two-times
13th December 2005, 19:48
Check out the film 'Redemption' it is about him jamie foxx stars as tookie.

Waqar's inswinging yorker
13th December 2005, 20:00
shouldnt the man have been shown some compassion? he had done great work to try to turn young ppl away from the gang life - and he gets the death penalty still? he should have just been given longer in jail

Geordie Ahmed
13th December 2005, 21:18
shouldnt the man have been shown some compassion? he had done great work to try to turn young ppl away from the gang life - and he gets the death penalty still? he should have just been given longer in jail

nobody is disputing that - the ppl who are not happy with the execution were not asking for him to be released - they simply felt that he had something positive to offer, i mean whether we like it or not the black youth respected this man!
Infact i think murdering him will probably have a negative affect on the black youths -

Oxy
13th December 2005, 22:26
you are talking rubbish oxy....don't mean to be rude.

He has written several books on his life about how crime is not worth it. He spent much of his prison time lecuring youths about not getting into crime. That was why he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Nobody is saying let him walk free. Just don't murder him. He was doing a lot of good alive with young black youths in America. He could have spent the rest of his life in prison and influenced the lives of many young males away from crime. That will not happen now.

I'm not pro-death penalty per se...but in this case, the guy showed no remorse from what I understand.

I do not see why this guy should have been shown clemency. Why should he get a 2nd chance? His victims did not!

The death penalty was obviously not a deterrent foir this guy. He paid the price for his arrogance!

Hash-if you were in his position, you would probably start saying things like 'England is great' :O or 'PCB sucks' :13: ....if it meant you could get off. Deep down we would both know whether you meant it or not :D

Geordie Ahmed
13th December 2005, 22:34
I'm not pro-death penalty per se...but in this case, the guy showed no remorse from what I understand.

I do not see why this guy should have been shown clemency. Why should he get a 2nd chance? His victims did not!

The death penalty was obviously not a deterrent foir this guy. He paid the price for his arrogance!

Hash-if you were in his position, you would probably start saying things like 'England is great' :O or 'PCB sucks' :13: ....if it meant you could get off. Deep down we would both know whether you meant it or not :D

BUT oxy dont you feel that by him staying alive he could save one black youth from joining a gang or taking part in criminal behaviour then its worth it?
I mean we all know he wasnt no angel BUT he spent many years trying to get kids of the street, he wrote many books and he did make a difference (albeit a small one but its a difference nonetheless)

Big Mac
13th December 2005, 23:12

I'm no expert on such matters but I imagine it could be a bit tricky to show remorse for a crime if you've always claimed you didn't do it.

Oxy
13th December 2005, 23:40
BUT oxy dont you feel that by him staying alive he could save one black youth from joining a gang or taking part in criminal behaviour then its worth it?
I mean we all know he wasnt no angel BUT he spent many years trying to get kids of the street, he wrote many books and he did make a difference (albeit a small one but its a difference nonetheless)

1) There are plenty of agencies that are set up to prevent black youth from turning to crime-I just dont buy this nonsense that HE is the chosen one!

2) Whats stopping someone from raping/killing....getting convicted...put on Death Row...then devoting their their remaining life (in prison) to preventing others from doing the same???? Good deal if you ask me.

3) Which black youth is he exactly counselling? Those ALREADY in jail...i.e those that have already done something to get into jail!!! OR is he going into schools (UNLIKELY!!!!)

Either way-he is one less nasty piece to worry about!

IF YOUNGSTERS WANT TO LEARN FROM THIS GUY......THEN HE JUST GAVE HIS BEST EVER LESSON!

Geordie Ahmed
13th December 2005, 23:57
1) There are plenty of agencies that are set up to prevent black youth from turning to crime-I just dont buy this nonsense that HE is the chosen one!

2) Whats stopping someone from raping/killing....getting convicted...put on Death Row...then devoting their their remaining life (in prison) to preventing others from doing the same???? Good deal if you ask me.

3) Which black youth is he exactly counselling? Those ALREADY in jail...i.e those that have already done something to get into jail!!! OR is he going into schools (UNLIKELY!!!!)

Either way-he is one less nasty piece to worry about!

IF YOUNGSTERS WANT TO LEARN FROM THIS GUY......THEN HE JUST GAVE HIS BEST EVER LESSON!

1) nobody said he was the chosen one, we cant deny that he is an influential figure whether we like it or not!

2) i think many ppl have done that before BUT thats an issue for the courts etc etc - Stanley actually did some positive work in the 20years he was in prison!

3) those that are in jail, the young lads who are close to joining gangs, even ppl who are heavily involved in gangs - he has helped ppl turn away from crime, regardless of his past that is positive!

nafajafam
14th December 2005, 00:17
Well, no point debating, his time had come. like Oxy said, he has given the best lesson.

Geordie Ahmed
14th December 2005, 00:19
Well, no point debating, his time had come. like Oxy said, he has given the best lesson.

well we can agree to disagree on that one!

anyhow he has gone now -

Oxy
14th December 2005, 00:55
...Stanley actually did some positive work in the 20years he was in prison!

.... those that are in jail, the young lads who are close to joining gangs, even ppl who are heavily involved in gangs - he has helped ppl turn away from crime, regardless of his past that is positive!

I cant help feeling that society is going SOFT....these are the LOWEST of the LOW....the worst amongst us...and if they do any thing positive, that should perhaps clear THEIR OWN CONSCIONCES....but should not lessesn the gravity of their henious crimes.

What this guy might have done should have saved him from being batterd by other cellmates./prison officers...but get him off death row? NO WAY.

Saj
14th December 2005, 03:25
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/12/13/williams/index_np.html

Big Mac
14th December 2005, 08:41

Hmmmmmm, if you're a kid on the streets who's grown up surrounded by gangs, everywhere you look you see gangmembers are the ones who control your part of the city. They're the ones who have the money, the fancy cars and nice shiny jewellery.

Who do you listen to? Some public servant in a crappy suit or the legend that founded The Crips? Yeah mate, real tough choice.

AHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA...San Quentin's a regular holiday camp isn't it?!

He wrote a number of anti-gang books for children to be honest, go read up on the facts of the whole story then come back in here to talk.

As I said earlier, the death penalty isn't a deterrent. Never has been, never will be.

HAFRIDI
17th January 2006, 13:32
BEIJING, Jan. 17 (Xinhuanet) -- The US Supreme Court rejected an appeal Monday to stay the execution of California's oldest condemned prisoner, 76-year-old Clarence Ray Allen, about 10 hours before his scheduled execution.

Allen, who is legally blind, uses a wheelchair and suffers from chronic heart disease and diabetes. He is scheduled to die by lethal injection early on Tuesday and would be the second-oldest man executed in the United States in recent decades.

He raised two claims never before endorsed by the high court -- that executing a frail old man would violate the U.S. Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment, and that the 23 years he spent on death row were unconstitutionally cruel as well.

However, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said on Friday that he would not spare Allen's life. "His conduct did not result from youth or inexperience, but instead resulted from the hardened and calculating decisions of a mature man." he said in a statement denying clemency to Allen.

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected an appeal Monday to stay the execution of California's oldest condemned prisoner, 76-year-old Clarence Ray Allen, about 10 hours before his scheduled execution. Allen would be the second-oldest man executed in the U.S. since capital punishment resumed in 1977.
The death chamber seen from the witness area at San Quentin State Prison in San Quentin, Calif. (AP photo)
Allen went to prison for having his teenage son's 17-year-old girlfriend murdered for fear she would tell police about a grocery-store burglary. While behind bars, he tried to have witnesses in the case wiped out, prosecutors said.

He was sentenced to death in 1982 for hiring a hit man who killed a witness and two bystanders.

Last month in Mississippi, John B. Nixon, 77, became the oldest person executed in the United States since capital punishment resumed in 1977. He did not pursue an appeal based on his age. Enditem

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-01/17/xinsrc_53201031708436253171758.jpg

Big Mac
17th January 2006, 15:12
Arnie taking his Terminator tag a bit too literally...

Oxy
17th January 2006, 18:31
Excellent News.

Who cares that he was blind/crippled?

Think of him when he committed/organised 4 murders. A sad, brutal and sick individual that deserved to hang.

And even better-he really suffered for 25 years before it happened.