PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Meaker is selected for South Africa "A" tour of India

Amjid Javed
27th September 2011, 21:24
Surrey fast bowler Stuart Meaker is a surprise selection for England's limited-overs tour of India.

The Natal-born paceman, 22, took 44 County Championship wickets in 2011, while James Anderson has been rested.

Skipper Alastair Cook and Kevin Pietersen return after being rested for the recent home ODI series against India.

The party will fly out on 3 October to play five one-day internationals and a single Twenty20 match.

Yorkshire's Jonny Bairstow, Scott Borthwick (Durham) and all-rounder Chris Woakes (Warwickshire) have been called up, while Jos Buttler (Somerset) and Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire) will join the squad ahead of the Twenty20 match in Kolkata.

Durham's Ben Stokes, 20, has not been selected in order to undergo rehabilitation on a finger injury.

On his call-up Meaker said: "I wasn't expecting it so soon. It was definitely in my sights in the near future, it just happened to come sooner than I thought.

"I've been given a chance to show what I have got. I'll work very hard when I'm out there and hopefully they will see that hard work and it will give them confidence to potentially give me a game.

"It's a very proud day for me. This has been something I've been looking forward to since playing for Surrey as a young man."

On what he can bring to the squad, the Surrey man added: "I'm lucky because I've got a great deal of natural pace, just in the way I bowl and my action. In one-day cricket, I've worked hard at my variations.

"I've got a couple of slower balls which will hopefully come into play on the sub-continent."

Eoin Morgan has been ruled out of the tour after having shoulder surgery but Jonathan Trott and Ian Bell return after missing last week's Twenty20 internationals against West Indies.

National selector Geoff Miller said: "This squad contains an exciting balance of experienced international cricketers along with some very talented youngsters who can play the high-quality limited-overs cricket needed to challenge India."

England squad: Alastair Cook (capt, Essex), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Scott Borthwick (Durham), Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire), Jade Dernbach (Surrey), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Craig Kieswetter (Somerset), Stuart Meaker (Surrey), Samit Patel (Notts), Kevin Pietersen (Surrey), Graeme Swann (Notts), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire). For T20 fixture only: Jos Buttler (Somerset), Alex Hales (Notts)

Source - BBC Cricket

Amjid Javed
27th September 2011, 21:45
England batting will depend alot on KP (AVERAGING 23 over last 2 years in ODIs) and Ian bell if they are to put big totals on board during series.

ads101
27th September 2011, 21:48
England batting will depend alot on KP (AVERAGING 23 over last 2 years in ODIs) and Ian bell if they are to put big totals on board during series.
Belly should be out the team if he ain't playing as opener or no.3. Which he isn't.

KP should be out of the team now. Play him in test and T20s. Been carried in ODIs for a long time. Let him try and get his form back in domestic one dayers. His test form seems to be returning now, so maybe good from him to concentrate on fewer formats at the moment.

Try out new guys. Taylor should already be in the team, dunno why he isn't. By far the best young batting talent in England at the moment.

Amjid Javed
27th September 2011, 21:51
I guess this series is a massive chance for Bopara and Samit patel to try and stake longterm places in england ODI team. Pretty much they way the sqaud is both should be picked to play in every game.

Cricfan4eva
28th September 2011, 01:45
Seems like Anderson chickened out seeing how SC pitches have played in CLT20 so far. :))

Kane
28th September 2011, 02:46
The number of non England born cricketers playing for England is quite alarming.

Imagine how strong the South African team would be if all of this talent had remained in South Africa.

On another subject though, why do so many South African cricketers leave their homeland and come to England to earn a living? This is certainly food for thought for the people running South African cricket.

AZ
28th September 2011, 03:44
heard he's quick, should be interesting to watch.

akheR
28th September 2011, 03:46
Interesting prospect:
It is his ability to bowl seriously fast, helped by a muscular physique that has earned him the nickname Hercules at The Oval, that has provoked the most interest but he added greater control last season, when his 44 wickets at 22 propelled Surrey's late charge for promotion – and he was selected by the England Lions for the first time.

"Obviously the attraction for England is 90mph deliveries, which he consistently bowls now," said Chris Adams, Surrey's director of cricket. "He's not the tallest so he's a skiddy bowler who they'll have on their radar for subcontinental style pitches where they play a lot of cricket in the next couple of winters."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/sep/27/stuart-meaker-england-india-tour?newsfeed=true

velu
28th September 2011, 03:57
klinger quoted this and this could also be one of the reason that why we are obsessed with trundlers,

Klinger: We had a decent start. The innings from Christian and Ferguson was outstanding. They were fantastic and they ran really hard. They negotiated the spinners well. We left out Tait due to the conditions. With his extra pace, Tait would have been easier to play. The next two games in Bangalore offer a bit more pace and he will be back.

South australia played against kkr at Hyderabad

Amjid Javed
28th September 2011, 04:43
The number of non England born cricketers playing for England is quite alarming.

Imagine how strong the South African team would be if all of this talent had remained in South Africa.

On another subject though, why do so many South African cricketers leave their homeland and come to England to earn a living? This is certainly food for thought for the people running South African cricket.

Make you wonder if england could actually put out a decent 11 off pure englishmen!

Sherlock
28th September 2011, 05:15
Another SA born "Englishmen".... Oh dear. Don't England have any decent home-grown players of their own.

Inswinger
28th September 2011, 06:44
When will it stop? Even the English have to be feeling somewhat embarrassed right now.

malakian
28th September 2011, 11:44
Meaker came over here when he was about 12, learnt all his cricket over here in Surrey. We know your jealous of this England cricket side guys, i mean, who wouldn't be? #1 test side & 20/20 world champions.

James
28th September 2011, 11:57
Miller and McGlashan think it's getting a bit embarrassing and I agree.

AlizeeFan
28th September 2011, 11:58
Meaker came over here when he was about 12, learnt all his cricket over here in Surrey. We know your jealous of this England cricket side guys, i mean, who wouldn't be? #1 test side & 20/20 world champions.

:)) Did you meet Ravi Shastri recently?

malakian
28th September 2011, 12:05
:)) Did you meet Ravi Shastri recently?

Nah, just telling it how it is. Not arsed if people rip the likes of Trott & Keiswetter, but what exactly is a 12yr old Meaker supposed to say to his parents when they announce they're moving over here?

"Hang on a minute mum, we can't move to England because there's an off chance i may become an international cricketer & people on cricket forums will moan about it'

MR__KHAN__JI
28th September 2011, 13:21
Heard he is quick...

ads101
28th September 2011, 13:26
Nah, just telling it how it is. Not arsed if people rip the likes of Trott & Keiswetter, but what exactly is a 12yr old Meaker supposed to say to his parents when they announce they're moving over here?

"Hang on a minute mum, we can't move to England because there's an off chance i may become an international cricketer & people on cricket forums will moan about it'
:))) completely right.

I'm ok debating whether guys who've learnt cricket in another country, playing for U19 teams for example, and then moving to the UK to play cricket (and possibly intending to play for England). i.e. Pietersen and Trott. That's perfectly fine to debate whether it's right or wrong.

When a person moves when they're young, learns cricket in England, they're English. What's the difference between him and someone born in England in terms of cricket development? None really. Unless you go even further and talk about South African blood being some sort of advantage in cricket over English blood :))). Further more, I bet if these guys like Strauss, Prior, Meaker then after learning cricket in England, went to play in South Africa, the same people would be complaining about that too.

Amjid Javed
28th September 2011, 13:53

wow! so hes qualified due to being over hear for more then 5 years!

pretty pathetic criteria to be honest and england are fast becoming a joke in regards to player selection.

malakian
28th September 2011, 13:54
Yeah, it's all down to that Saffer blood! :)))

It's the English system that's turning these guys into gun players, not the fact they were born in SA aged 12. As for the morons accusing Strauss of being a Saffer, have they heard his accent? It's more public schoolboy's than Henry Blofield's.

Amjid Javed
28th September 2011, 13:55
I wont be shocked if we see the 1st ever test match with 22 south Africans playing next summer.

:)

malakian
28th September 2011, 13:57
I wont be shocked if we see the 1st ever test match with 22 south Africans playing next summer.

We could probably field 11 Welshmen & still kick Pakistan's ****. ;)

James
28th September 2011, 14:12
Eligibility isn't the issue here. I'll always fully support a foreign-born player's right to play for another country. The embarrassment comes from the exposing of the weak English cricketing infrastructure of the 1990s, and the admission that players from other countries are better than our own.

malakian
28th September 2011, 14:19
Eligibility isn't the issue here. I'll always fully support a foreign-born player's right to play for another country. The embarrassment comes from the exposing of the weak English cricketing infrastructure of the 1990s, and the admission that players from other countries are better than our own.

Why have cricket fans only just started expressing concern? Why not back in the day when the likes of Hick, DeFreitas, Malcolm was playing?

When England were rubbish nobody cared.

James
28th September 2011, 14:34
When foreign-born players seem to be dominating the selector's plans in one-day cricket, it's a timely reminder that we have to start getting our own lads into the game from a young age, and help them develop more than we have been doing for the last fifteen years.

the Great Khan
28th September 2011, 15:35

LOL..I doubt that, we would just bring a heard of sheep with us and watch the tamasha!..lol

Sherlock
28th September 2011, 16:36
Agree with Whippy. Rules are rules, but there comes a point where a decent English player has to come through the ranks or the ECB will get more mocking finger-pointing. Not only that I reckon some English supporters must be embarrassed by the truck-load of "SA born, English players" playing for their nation.

Amjid Javed
28th September 2011, 16:36

Dont worry il get you some tissues next year when pakistan rips england a new butt hole on tour and you can wipe your tears away!

Amjid Javed
28th September 2011, 16:37
Why have cricket fans only just started expressing concern? Why not back in the day when the likes of Hick, DeFreitas, Malcolm was playing?

When England were rubbish nobody cared.

Yeah well just goes to show if england team was full off english players you would probably be on a par with west indies and new zealand!

Big Harvey
28th September 2011, 16:49
If the ECB was to refuse to consider picking people who were born outside of the UK, they would (quite rightly) be accused of racism.

All England's current overseas-born players (with the partial exception of Trott) are products of our system. Even KP was just a mediocre off-spinner when he came to England, and wasn't even considered to be a batsman. I don't have a problem with anyone playing for England as long as they're good enough, blessed with the right attitude, and qualified to do so. Racism and discrimination on the grounds of where people are born are despicable attitudes that belong in the dark ages.

malakian
28th September 2011, 16:51
Dont worry il get you some tissues next year when pakistan rips england a new butt hole on tour and you can wipe your tears away!

Would this be the same Pakistan side who are ranked 6th in the world, and don't have a single batsman or bowler ranked in the top 10?

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ic43t0.gif

Yeah well just goes to show if england team was full off english players you would probably be on a par with west indies and new zealand!

They are English though, they have British passports. ICC rules not ours. I could argue that if Pakistan wasn't allowed to field a chucker, they'd be even worse, but the ICC allow it, just like they allow Trott etc to play.

Big Harvey
28th September 2011, 17:05
Make you wonder if england could actually put out a decent 11 off pure englishmen!

What is a "pure" Englishman? England is a multiracial, multicultural country.

We could certainly put out a fairly useful XI of English-born players in all formats, including the leading run-scorer and the entire bowling attack responsible for winning us the last Ashes in Australia.

ahamedirshad123
28th September 2011, 17:07
"Manmohan Singh born in Pakistan and Sonia in Italy" --- enough said

ahamedirshad123
28th September 2011, 17:12
How about British born boxer Haroon Khan representing Pakistan?

Big Harvey
28th September 2011, 17:16

Our bowling attack is far better than New Zealand's, and although West Indies is probably getting close in terms of raw talent and potential, the work ethic and professionalism even among most English county teams nowadays is way superior to what exists in the Caribbean.

malakian
28th September 2011, 17:16
How about British born boxer Haroon Khan representing Pakistan?

It's completely hypocritical. If you look outside cricket for example, a large percentage of Australia's olympic team are 'imports'. But in the real world, nobody cares.

velu
28th September 2011, 17:19
If will be so good if we can import some fast bowlers from south africa :117:

malakian
28th September 2011, 17:33
Well South Africa have already 'imported' a decent spinner. I wonder how much stick they will get when he starts bowling sides out.

Shayan
28th September 2011, 17:35
The whole "south african born players" situation is exacerbated by the fact that England are now doing so well. Had England been flundering at the bottom of the rankings, a thread like this probably wouldn't exist, and therein lies the hypocrisy and jealousy.

My point of view is that I support Pakistan, I want them to get to a level where they win every game regardless of what 11 players are put in front of them.

Jo_Don
28th September 2011, 17:38
Yeah, it's all down to that Saffer blood! :)))

It's the English system that's turning these guys into gun players, not the fact they were born in SA aged 12. As for the morons accusing Strauss of being a Saffer, have they heard his accent? It's more public schoolboy's than Henry Blofield's.
If the English system is going to get the credit, then why has the same system not churned out masses of English-born talent in the past?

akheR
28th September 2011, 17:41
If the English system is going to get the credit, then why has the same system not churned out masses of English-born talent in the past?

lol, owned.

malakian
28th September 2011, 17:44

Sky TV

lol, owned.

lol, not really.

saj786
28th September 2011, 17:44
whats next, maybe try and bring foriegners into the football team, then england could have a decent footy team, back to the topic, the southafricans have made england a good test team and now their implimenting the same in the odis by bringing in more south africans to improve the odi's team

saj786
28th September 2011, 17:49
Would this be the same Pakistan side who are ranked 6th in the world, and don't have a single batsman or bowler ranked in the top 10?

http://i54.tinypic.com/2ic43t0.gif

They are English though, they have British passports. ICC rules not ours. I could argue that if Pakistan wasn't allowed to field a chucker, they'd be even worse, but the ICC allow it, just like they allow Trott etc to play.

same with flintoff, he had a suspect action as well, not to forget anderson and broad who were blatently caught ball tampering on the tour of south africa

ahamedirshad123
28th September 2011, 17:50
England’s foreign-born Test cricketers

Here is a list of cricketers born outside UK and Ireland who have represented England at Test level. (Those born in Scotland, Wales and Ireland are not included in this list, for example Wales-born reverse-swing quickie Simon Jones).

Sixteen were born in India, 11 in West Indies, 10 in South Africa and nine in Australia.

AUSTRALIA: Billy Murdoch, John Ferris, Sammy Woods, Albert Trott, ‘Gubby’ Allen, Adam Hollioake, Ben Hollioake, Jason Gallian, Tim Ambrose.

SOUTH AFRICA: Basil D’Oliviera, Tony Greig, Ian Greig, Allan Lamb, Chris Smith, Robin Smith, Andrew Strauss, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Ian Trott.

WEST INDIES: Lord Harris, Pelham Warner, Roland Butcher, Norman Cowans, Wilf Slack, Gladstone Small, Phillip DeFreitas, Devon Malcolm, Chris Lewis, Neil Williams, Joseph Benjamin.

NEW ZEALAND: Andy Caddick.

INDIA: K.S. Ranjitsinhji (‘Ranji’), Edward Wynyard, Richard Young, Neville Tufnell, Douglas Jardine, K.S. Duleepsinhji (‘Duleep’), Nawab of Pataudi, Sr., Errol Holmes, Norman Mitchell-Innes, George Emmett, Colin Cowdrey, John Jameson, Bob Woolmer, Robin Jackman, Nasser Hussain, Minal Patel.

PAKISTAN: Usman Afzaal, Owais Shah.

ZIMBABWE (formerly Rhodesia): Graeme Hick, Paul Parker.

KENYA: Derek Pringle.

ZAMBIA: Phil Edmonds, Neil Radford.

GERMANY: Donald Carr, Paul Terry.

ITALY: Ted Dexter.

PERU: Freddie Brown.

HONG KONG: Dermot Reeve.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA: Geraint Jones.

DENMARK: Amjad Khan.

Foreign-born South African Test cricketers

This made me wonder as to how many of the 300 plus South African Test cricketers were born overseas. My research shows that 43 were born outside South Africa in 11 different countries.

Of these, 22 were born in England, two in Ireland, one in Scotland, eight in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), four in India and one each in Mozambique, Swaziland, Java (Dutch East Indies), Bermuda, Egypt and Portugal. Here is the list:

ENGLAND (22): Harold Baumgartner, Richard Dumbrill, Charles Finlason, Cyril Francois, Howard Francis, George Glover, Alfred Hall, Ernest “Baberton” Halliwell, Frank Hearne, George Hearne, Philip Hutchinson, Percy Mansell, James “Bonnor” Middleton, Charles Mills, William Milton, Frank Mitchell, Frank Nicholson, Dave Nourse, Tommy Routledge, Reggie Schwarz, George Thornton and Joseph Willoughby.

SCOTLAND (1): Tom Campbell.

IRELAND (2): Clement Johnson and Robert Poore.

RHODESIA [now Zimbabwe] (8): Colin Bland, John du Preez, Steven Elworthy, Geoffrey Lawrence, Joseph Partridge, Anthony Pithey, David Pithey and Denis Tomlinson.

MOZAMBIQUE (1): Dave Ironside.

SWAZILAND (1): Lawrence “Fish” Markham.

INDIA (4): Robert Stewart, Godfrey Cripps, Bob Crisp and Thomas Ward.

BERMUDA (1): Charles Hime.

JAVA [Dutch East Indies] (1): Frederick Cook.

EGYPT (1): John Traicos.

PORTUGAL (1): Richard Westcott.

Foreign-born Australian Test cricketers

Below are listed twenty Australian Test cricketers who were born overseas.

ENGLAND (10): Charles Bannerman, John Hodges, Tom Kendall, William Midwinter, Percy McDonnell, William Cooper, Henry Musgrove, Hanson Carter, Tony Dell and Andrew Symonds.
SCOTLAND (1): Archie Jackson.
IRELAND (2): Tom Horan, Tom Kelly.
SOUTH AFRICA (1): Kepler Wessels.
NEW ZEALAND (3): Tom Groube, Clarrie Grimmett and Brendon Julian.
INDIA (2): Bransby Cooper and Rex Sellers.
SRI LANKA (1): Dav Whatmore.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/09/07/englands-foreign-born-test-cricketers/

http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/09/13/foreign-born-south-african-test-cricketers/

http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/09/22/foreign-born-australian-test-cricketers/

Sanchez
28th September 2011, 17:53
I think it's fair the SA born players do well in county cricket and picked according to their performances within the laws, but the question is why are SA born players outperforming the English born & bread counterparts in the county circuit despite consisting only a small fraction of the county players?

Sufian84
28th September 2011, 18:12
if meaker came to england at 12, im fine with it. its the age for start of nurturing a talent, and that is what ECB has done.

what i dont like is players like tott, pietersen and morgan who have learnt their cricket education in a country and plays for a another country because of the competition for places there (exept for morgan). the same can be said of imran tahir who couldnt get in the team because of kaneria was selected over him.

Big Harvey
28th September 2011, 18:12

Because the system as it is now has only been in existence for a very short time. In case you haven't noticed, we are currently the envy of the world in terms of the amount of young talent coming through, and most of the players being talked about are English-born.

Besides, as I've said before, England is a multiracial, multicultural country. Where a player is born is not really relevant. It would be wrong to discriminate on that basis, and we wouldn't be allowed to, even if it appears that there are some on this forum who somewhat surprisingly think we should.

Amjid Javed
28th September 2011, 18:31
Our bowling attack is far better than New Zealand's, and although West Indies is probably getting close in terms of raw talent and potential, the work ethic and professionalism even among most English county teams nowadays is way superior to what exists in the Caribbean.

My comments were tounge in cheek, Also yes england should by all means be open to allowing people off all races and cultures in the country etc... however in regards to cricket selections i think england are pushing it to the exterme.

Id even go as far to say i think if england want to select "Non-english players" then they should have to submit an application to ICC for them to verify wether its a justifiable selection.

The latest selection is the biggest joke. We have a guy who is pretty much South African and has lived in the uk since age off 12 so more than 5 years and that qualifies him for england? Am sorry but to me thats poor reasoning. Yeah he may have come through the "County system" but it doesnt deflect from the matter hes South African.

It sets a dangerous precident here where cricketers who cant get into their own national team can just swan off to england and stay here for a length off time and then play for england, Theres no justification for that at all and its time ICC changed the laws on it.

Random Aussie
28th September 2011, 18:53
Because the system as it is now has only been in existence for a very short time. In case you haven't noticed, we are currently the envy of the world in terms of the amount of young talent coming through, and most of the players being talked about are English-born.

Besides, as I've said before, England is a multiracial, multicultural country. Where a player is born is not really relevant. It would be wrong to discriminate on that basis, and we wouldn't be allowed to, even if it appears that there are some on this forum who somewhat surprisingly think we should.

Yeah and most of the new players you are picking are Saffers.

"Talking about English born players are they now"?

Big Harvey
28th September 2011, 18:55
I think it's fair the SA born players do well in county cricket and picked according to their performances within the laws, but the question is why are SA born players outperforming the English born & bread counterparts in the county circuit despite consisting only a small fraction of the county players?

There are actually lots of SA-born players in county cricket. It's partly a legacy of the "Kolpak" ruling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolpak_ruling

Also, aside from that, for aspiring overseas cricketers who qualify for British passports, county cricket is a very attractive proposition.

I think there's probably a will and determination to succeed in sport in South African (and Australian) culture which has sometimes been missing here in England in the past. I do think that a bit of a South African or Australian upbringing can sometimes give those overseas-born players an advantage. English-born players have tended to lack a certain amount of self-confidence and belief. I think competing alongside and against South Africans and Australians in the domestic game has helped, and is helping to change that.

Poison
28th September 2011, 18:59
It is getting a bit ridiculous. Not entirely the ECB's fault, not sure if they can do anything if the only players of quality are players who were born overseas (tongue firmly in cheek) :afridi

Sanchez
28th September 2011, 19:11
There are actually lots of SA-born players in county cricket. It's partly a legacy of the "Kolpak" ruling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolpak_ruling

Also, aside from that, for aspiring overseas cricketers who qualify for British passports, county cricket is a very attractive proposition.

I think there's probably a will and determination to succeed in sport in South African (and Australian) culture which has sometimes been missing here in England in the past. I do think that a bit of a South African or Australian upbringing can sometimes give those overseas-born players an advantage. English-born players have tended to lack a certain amount of self-confidence and belief. I think competing alongside and against South Africans and Australians in the domestic game has helped, and is helping to change that.

I think that's one reason and I feel another is that English players don't actually compete against the opposition but rather go through their own routine & stuff instead of getting stuck in the middle and toughening it out. Maybe it's the English cricketing culture which is a bit laidback and 'soft' for want of a better word. It maybe changing with the influx of outdoorsy Afrikaans in the team now :akhtar:

Amjid Javed
28th September 2011, 19:11

"Talking about English born players are they now"?

I can imagine next summers test being fun with South Africa playing a South african rejects X1

Would almost become a spot the englishmen competetion.

malakian
28th September 2011, 19:18
Haters gonna hate.

Gabbar Singh
If the England management refused to select South African, Indian or Pakistani born players or players of foreign origin folks on here would be the first to play the race card.

If a foreign born person can become the Prime Minister of this nation then why should they not be allowed to play cricket or football for the country?

Do you guys feel the same way about Asif Iqbal? That he wasn't a 'real' Pakistani and should not have been playing cricket for the country.

Big Harvey

Of the new players in the squad, Bairstow, Borthwick, Woakes, Buttler, and Hales are all English-born. And if any of those don't quite cut it (and maybe even if they do) there are plenty more who will be knocking on the door in the next 2 or 3 years.

Do I detect a note of jealousy that our once-derided county set-up is attracting and producing so many quality young players at precisely the time that Cricket Australia seems to be bent on destroying your own once-envied domestic set-up?

Random Aussie
29th September 2011, 05:40
Do I detect a note of jealousy that our once-derided county set-up is attracting and producing so many quality young players at precisely the time that Cricket Australia seems to be bent on destroying your own once-envied domestic set-up?

Not at all. Our rivalry is with England not South Africa.

We are well aware South Africa produces talented cricketers.

malakian
30th September 2011, 17:11
Not at all. Our rivalry is with England not South Africa.

We are well aware South Africa produces talented cricketers.

It's the English system making these players, not SA blood.