PDA

View Full Version : Electoral Reform

Abdul Qadir 236
26th February 2005, 19:58
Many people in the UK are not happy with the FPTP system. I do feel it works well but that it can be bettered. The options for reform include:

Alternative Vote
Second Ballot
Supplementary Vote
PR (STV)
List
AMS with FPTP
AMS with AV

My preferred choice is the Alternative Vote. It gives a strong stable govt than even FPTP and you have to achieve an absolute majority to win the constituency.

What system does Pakistan use?

Hash
26th February 2005, 20:17
I am pretty sure Pakistan uses FPTP.....problem was that after the last election there was nobody with an absolute majority so a coalition was formed

Abdul Qadir 236
26th February 2005, 21:19
thanks a lot, i can use that in my exam!

Waqar's inswinging yorker
27th February 2005, 10:47
i thought pakistan used a modified proportional representation policy? my brother will know - he is a politics boffin

Abdul Qadir 236
28th February 2005, 03:31
i would always go for the majoritarian system.

Daoud
28th February 2005, 03:32
India uses PR, so we probably use something similar. PR causes too much instability, especially when not done right

Abdul Qadir 236
28th February 2005, 03:41
Australia use the AV isnt that right?
And PR STV for the Senate?

Daoud
28th February 2005, 03:44
I have no clue. Whatever it is, it must be rigged as everyone hates Howard, but he keeps coming back to power :oD

Abdul Qadir 236
28th February 2005, 03:45
lol I was delighted when he got back in, am praying his namesake gets in here.

Geordie Ahmed
28th February 2005, 03:47
I am totally lost!

Im glad i didnt do Politics

Daoud
28th February 2005, 03:47
Yeah, thats cause ur rightwing, and seem to love moderate right wing politicians no matter how stupid they are |-G
For Muslims, hes terrible. University students hate him too.

Abdul Qadir 236
28th February 2005, 03:48
i am right wing but i have a lot of time for Islam.
I am having a debate with WIY I think before our election. Anything ud like to know my views on?

Geordie Ahmed
28th February 2005, 03:52
All i can say is I HATE THE TORIES!

The only reason il vote for Labour is cos i dont want the Tories in at any cost!
I would vote Lib Dem but i dont wanna waste my vote, cos the TORIES not getting in power is more of a priority!
Just over the past few weeks, listening to these Tory MP's has further convinced me they will take the country to the dogs!

Also what made me laugh is Michael Howard recently announced special concessions for Pensioners cos he says they are bad off! Well he along with Maggie "milk snatcher" Thatcher treated the pensioners disgracefully! The audacity of him!

Anyways mini rant over! SAY NO TO TORIES

Abdul Qadir 236
28th February 2005, 03:54
Why are the Tories still playing for what they did last time?

Let me say this. Britain was dead when Thatcher came to power. She left it a lot better than it was under Labour.

Bliar has now undone all the good work and cost the taxpayer extortionate amounts of money in doing so.

Howard's problem is he is trying to be too centrist. The silent majority of people are conservative.

Daoud
28th February 2005, 03:55
Speaking of Thatcher, this character from GTA San Andreas was w****** over Maggie. That whole scene was hilarious including the chants in a yorkshire (I think) accent of "thatcher, thatcher...Ohhh maggie" :oD

Nawazb
1st March 2005, 18:31
pakistan uses a similar type of system to FPTP.

Nawazb
1st March 2005, 18:40
by the way guys latest opinion polls show that the tories are 2 points of labour, to win the election they should be around 10-12 points off.

Oxy
1st March 2005, 18:47
Most present day 'Maggie Thatcherfans' DIDNT live through her reign, or were beneficiries of her rule ($$$)

I dont vote. Have never voted and iAllah, will NEVER vote for any of politicial parties.

Labour-have 'out-toried' the Tories

Tories-No way

Lib Dems (LOL)

Who ever is in power is irrelevant to me.

And before anyone starts...Democracy gives me the right NOT to vote!