PDA

View Full Version : Diet Plan For Six Pack

Shahid A
7th January 2012, 03:26
So im planning of getting an six pack but im actually quite confused on what to eat ive researched and it says i will have to eat 6 times a day three standard meals and three smaller snack. But i have no idea on what i can eat at work which is halal.
8 a.m. BREAKFAST

11 a.m. SNACK

1 p.m. LUNCH

4 p.m. SNACK

6 p.m. DINNER

9 p.m. SNACK

Any ideas?

azhar329
7th January 2012, 03:28
If you can hack it, keep off the fizzies!

asdf0045
7th January 2012, 03:39
In my experience it isn't when and how many times you eat, it's what you eat and how much.
Eating healthier, in tandem with a good work out routine will yield the best results.

kingusama92
7th January 2012, 03:47
Eat healthy. Drink lots of water.

Workout your abs hard, three times a week. Probably do Ab Ripper X (P90x).

It's all about avoiding junk food in the end. Also, don't you dare touch that Pakistani food! :))

GOAT
7th January 2012, 03:50
Contrary to popular belief, you can't shed fat in one specific area. Hence, doing numerous ab exercises will not help you to lose fat in that general area. I'm a firm believer that ab exercises do lead to better defined and well shaped abs.

They key to seeing abs is fat loss. The key to fat loss is to eat less calories then you burn.

I don't know what you look like or what your stats are but it would almost certainly benefit you to hit the gym, gain some mass and then cut some fat.

in_cutter
7th January 2012, 04:12
Sigh, the good old days of having a six-pack. Hard to achieve nowadays
:(

Mohsin
7th January 2012, 04:16
Contrary to popular belief, you can't shed fat in one specific area. Hence, doing numerous ab exercises will not help you to lose fat in that general area. I'm a firm believer that ab exercises do lead to better defined and well shaped abs.

They key to seeing abs is fat loss. The key to fat loss is to eat less calories then you burn.

I don't know what you look like or what your stats are but it would almost certainly benefit you to hit the gym, gain some mass and then cut some fat.

Best ways of gaining mass (for a person who has an INCREDIBLY fast metabolism and seems to actually struggle to put on weight even though he eats A.....LOT)? Been working out and its all good...but wanna be putting on weight to be able to properly 'cut' :amir

GOAT
7th January 2012, 04:24
Gym thread bro.

But honestly just eat. Don't overlook carbs and healthy fats. I guarantee you're not eating enough or lifting hard enough if you don't see mass.

Mohsin
7th January 2012, 04:33
Oh yh man, i just thought id quickly ask here since you mentioned it...cool, i suppose ill try and up my intake lol
Sorry SA for the random derail lol

GOAT
7th January 2012, 04:51
Try measuring your caloric intake and post it, I'm no expert with nutrition but I'll take a quick look at it and see if there's any glaring inefficiencies broski.

Shahid A
7th January 2012, 05:46
I just need some ideas of what to eat ...

Savak
7th January 2012, 13:04
I have been working out for almost a year and a half now consistently. I was very skinny around 59kg, now i am 75-76kg. My goal is to reach 90 kg. Getting a six pack and gaining muscle, mass are pretty tough things to do together. On the one hand my instructor used to encourage me to eat more, improve my diet at least 5-6 times a day but on the other hand he also used to advise me to minimize my cardio and that it shouldn't be my priority.

The only unsatisfying feature in my physique right now is my stomach, always have a paunch. Need to work hard at it. Not easy to balance a proper regular diet and workout with a 9-7 job, university studies and big exams like the CFA.

The biggest issue with weight training is that if you develop a great physique and then leave it for a period of time, your entire body flab up, you will look so out of shape and unfit, its not even funny. A guy in my gym was very regular and consistent with his exercises, he had an even better physique then me. Then he started working and couldn't find the time, mental space for exercising. He just rejoined the gym this month and i was shocked to see the paunch around his stomach and his neck as if he had mumps.

Tapori
7th January 2012, 13:33
^ Too many Protein Shakes!

Savak, depends on how big you want to be. Most people want to get Arnie style pumped up and they end up having all sorts to Bulk up.

Trouble is like you said, the payback if you don't keep it tight.

My cousin is incredibly Athletic ripped and toned without huge bulking supplements. He couldn't workout for a few months but he had leaner Muscle, and so he went skinny rather than the guy you describe.

The only unsatisfying feature in my physique right now is my stomach, always have a paunch. Need to work hard at it. Not easy to balance a proper regular diet and workout with a 9-7 job, university studies and big exams like the CFA.

Unfortunately thats a Cardio Thing. Do some Interval Training with the fast sprints in a Tabatta style if you are pressed for time. Will help tighten things up.

Hate to say it, but Studies come first!

Ryw
7th January 2012, 15:52
So im planning of getting an six pack but im actually quite confused on what to eat ive researched and it says i will have to eat 6 times a day three standard meals and three smaller snack. But i have no idea on what i can eat at work which is halal.
8 a.m. BREAKFAST

11 a.m. SNACK

1 p.m. LUNCH

4 p.m. SNACK

6 p.m. DINNER

9 p.m. SNACK

Any ideas?

No offense OP but the amount of snacks you v mentioned in your post ewwwwww , i am afraid you will end up like this

12cavalry
7th January 2012, 17:15
^ Too many Protein Shakes!

Savak, depends on how big you want to be. Most people want to get Arnie style pumped up and they end up having all sorts to Bulk up.

Trouble is like you said, the payback if you don't keep it tight.

My cousin is incredibly Athletic ripped and toned without huge bulking supplements. He couldn't workout for a few months but he had leaner Muscle, and so he went skinny rather than the guy you describe.

Unfortunately thats a Cardio Thing. Do some Interval Training with the fast sprints in a Tabatta style if you are pressed for time. Will help tighten things up.

Hate to say it, but Studies come first!

True. If you can't take out alot time for exercise HIIT is the way to go. And in my experience its the best thing for overall fatloss.

For anyone interested here is a good article on HIIT.
http://www.simplyshredded.com/fit-with-hiit-science-is-dropping-the-hammer-on-endless-bouts-of-steady-state-cardio.html

Zaz
7th January 2012, 19:04
- work on your abs diligently

- reduce your body fat by regular exercise and healthy eating habits (stay away from sugars and pakistani foods) Eat small high protein meals at regular intervals

Watsupdoc
7th January 2012, 19:35

Noman
7th January 2012, 21:01
No need for six pack guys.. just have low fat percent and have a tight body..There is so much good food-- so do not waste time on six pack. its for film stars...

DeadlyVenom
7th January 2012, 21:04
No need for six pack guys.. just have low fat percent and have a tight body..There is so much good food-- so do not waste time on six pack. its for film stars...

Agreed,

Tapori
8th January 2012, 03:22
No offense OP but the amount of snacks you v mentioned in your post ewwwwww , i am afraid you will end up like this

Lol, esp. at the name! But seriously, the advice about 3 meals plus 3 snacks is very good advice.

Biologically, your body craves a proper meal every 3-4 hours when awake = 3 meals a day.

But Snacks, if nutritionally good, which is what I'm sure he was referring to, have been shown to increase metabolism, as your body is constantly having to work to absorb nutrients, esp. if you live an active lifestyle. If you eat unhealthy snacks and don't excercise, your body will just store the extra calories as fat.

So, a typical desi day if you regularly work out (4+ times a week) might be:

Breakfast: Porridge, Normal Tea, 1 Toast and an egg or two

Snack: Fruit and/or nuts

Lunch: Soup and a Sandwich (Tuna or Cheese or Chicken)

Snack: Fruit/Oat bar and Mint Tea

Dinner: Standard Desi food should be fine but every person has different cuisine in their family.
There are plenty of proper desi meals that can be made really healthily, I mean the standard Saalan/Haandi with a range of different Sabzee like say Bhindi, Gobi etc are very healthy if you don't overload them with oil when you fry the Onions.

Unfortunately our elder Men :inzi love Oil and Ghee and salt and so many have it made in that style;
A simple Shohrbaa with Lamb and Aaloo eaten with Pickles/Yoghurt/Chutney and a nice praatha occasionally, or regularly with Medium Flour Rotee, is very healthy.
: Just make sure you don't have Ghee soaked Paraathas everyday!

That's before I mention Daal Chaawal and other Vegetarin dishes such as Aaloo Cholay and others like Palak Aloo Methee, Saag and loads of others, that many Pakistani Desi lads seem to detest as a main meal;
Everyday for them must be a Meaty day!

Chicken is brilliant, because if you Marinade it in yogurt, garlic and ginger and masaala and then grill/oven roast it, it's incredibly protein rich, tasty and healthy!

Snack = Bowl of Yogurt/Toast/Milk

Unfortunately, that means leaving the crisps, cakes, cookies and Burgers and Takeaways and biscuits and other gloriously unhealthy things for say, the weekend or 1-2 times week as a treat; Within reason of course; No point eating a 6 pack multi-pack of crisps, a Bag of cookies, Strawberry Milkshake and a Big Plate of Donner in one sitting!

As Cavalry and I pointed out, work on your cardio alternating between low intensity long runs and another day say, doing a strict Interval HIIT Cardio work out like the link Cavalry posted.

Make sure you exercise your back with non-weight exercises that compliment the ab exercises;Your Back will thank you later when you're 40!

-

Half the issue is preparing and buying the meal ingredients in between work etc :misbah-
if you're younger :amir and live with family then you don't have to ask for alot extra - Just probably Oats, Mint tea and a few healthy snack bars.

Drink plenty of water; get used to having a bottle of water with you at work/college and drink it!

GOAT
8th January 2012, 03:46
According to Layne Norton, meal timing and amount of meals is **. And it honestly probably is.

ammo
8th January 2012, 03:53
from what i know breakfast:carbs most of them should be eaten now
snack:fruit
Lunch:a good mix of carb and protien
Snack:fruit again
Dinner:mostly protien (chicken/meat and boiled veggies)
Snack:low fat milk.

Tapori
8th January 2012, 04:11
And it honestly probably is.

GOAT, sorry but on this one, Science generally, begs to differ.

If you skip breakfast or have an insufficient breakfast regularly, that will affect your physiology. No question.

If you regularly leave a long gap of more than say, 7 hours when awake, between say 2 meals and have very big meals, your body will naturally store more of the calories as Fat, as your evolutionary biology is geared to stop you from starving and Fat is a good energy reserve.

Hence why ridiculous unbalanced diets rarely work long-term. Atkins etc.

Some people might adapt as they have in-built genes that can alleviate the effects of a poor diet.

But regular meals help maintain a healthy metabolic rate; If that isn't true, then I'd love to see a paper proving otherwise.

GOAT
8th January 2012, 04:22
Check out the "warrior diet" and intermittent fasting. I've made gains during Ramadan where all I did was had two giant meals. Nutrient timing is ** when it comes to muscle building.

If you're eating according to your proper macronutrient count, stuff that's not fat won't magically become fat just because you waited too long to eat. I'm far too lazy to go and find the proof but Layne is all about the science, he is no bro scientist and is 100x more knowledgable then you or I.

edit: more meals DO help in getting in more calories in that it's rough to eat a few giant meals. But seriously, if you have a proper carb/protein/fat breakdown then nothing will change that. Missing your meal by an hour or two does not mean that some of those carbs or protein will turn into fat.

GOAT
8th January 2012, 04:26
Eating more frequently will speed up your metabolism
Another common myth is that eating more frequent meals will boost your metabolism. If you’ve ever heard someone tell you that you should eat six times a day for a faster metabolism, you’re being given misinformation.

The point to remember here is that each time you eat a meal, your metabolism increases. This increase is impacted by how large the meals higher in carbohydrates and fats).

Assuming total macronutrient composition and calorie intake stays the same over two different diets, one consisting of three meals and one of six, both diets will experience the same metabolic increases. The only difference is the individual eating six meals a day will have smaller increases six times while the other individual will have larger increases three times a day.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_250/285_metabolism-myths.html#ixzz1ioeSeGJj

Basically this.

Tapori
8th January 2012, 05:16
I stand corrected GOAT. Having looked at his website he seems to know his stuff, but I'll go and dig out some peer-reviewed papers on metabolism to see if it matches up. (I never want to be that ripped though - those people are insane!)

I however must salvage some pride by insisting that:

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day
That regular meals are key to healthy Blood Sugar levels; Irregular meal times it could be argued are bad in that you can't really plan a proper diet too (Though this point is rather weak))

If you are hungry then eat something in balance!

But yeah, if you live an active lifestyle, energy intake is key, rather than when you have the meal in the day.

Though for your future health, considering we have such high rates of diabetes, I'd urge you to settle into regular smaller meals to put less of a strain on your Insulin.

The body is amazing at adapting to shock and change though;

If you're eating according to your proper macronutrient count,

True.

edit: more meals DO help in getting in more calories in that it's rough to eat a few giant meals. But seriously, if you have a proper carb/protein/fat breakdown then nothing will change that. Missing your meal by an hour or two does not mean that some of those carbs or protein will turn into fat.

Very true, and I stand corrected, but it will have an impact on your insulin and blood sugar if you irregularly have very large meals.

I've made gains during Ramadan where all I did was had two giant meals. Nutrient timing is ** when it comes to muscle building.

Touche, though my friend and I have very different metabolisms. Alas, some people are born with better metabolism.

GOAT
8th January 2012, 06:32
Yeah definitely some people hit the jackpot with metabolism but it's not too bad. I lose weight pretty slowly myself but what can you do?

Genetics are overrated though.

edit: and sure, I can agree with the above. Higher insulin rates post workout also boost muscle growth or recovery, some pro's inject insulin actually. Obviously, don't do this at home folks.

Tapori
8th January 2012, 06:48
Genetics are overrated though.

Women all over the world disagree...

attock
8th January 2012, 07:30
I was told by someone to do around 50 sit ups every morning before you have anything to eat and in a month you will see a big a difference. I think it all depends on the size of the person if you are thin like me then it wont take long and probably the the sit ups for a month will work for you, though I did not try it. I am going to start soon.........:)

Tapori
8th January 2012, 07:35
^ Please please please, make sure you don't do that. Your Back will be livid, not to mention working out on a an empty stomach will make you potentially nauseous.

I'm sure some of the PP members here can type out a good beginner regime for thin people.

If you are not sure go to a good trainer who can show you... Don't be scared to ask if you don't know. Pride comes before serious injury!

GOAT
8th January 2012, 08:07
^ Please please please, make sure you don't do that. Your Back will be livid, not to mention working out on a an empty stomach will make you potentially nauseous.

I'm sure some of the PP members here can type out a good beginner regime for thin people.

If you are not sure go to a good trainer who can show you... Don't be scared to ask if you don't know. Pride comes before serious injury!

I do agree with this. I don't think you guys realize that abs are mostly based on your body fat percentage, not the amount of sit ups you can do.

This guy never did ab work:

http://cdn.simplyshredded.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2-2.jpg

The Gym thread is here for a reason - myself and others are more then willing to help provide resources to get you shredded!