PDA

View Full Version : Olympics 2012: London - Discussion thread

Shayan
24th July 2012, 18:29
Please use this thread to discuss general issues regarding the upcoming Olympics. Other threads can be created for specific events as and when they occur.

Any guaranteed medal winners?

Shayan
24th July 2012, 20:37
London 2012: Usain Bolt heads to the Games surrounded by doubts

As pre-Olympic panics go, it's a pretty big one: the fastest man in the world, perhaps the biggest single star of the entire Games, is no longer even the fastest man in his own training group.

Usain Bolt - clown prince of track and field, the athlete who changed the paradigm for how sprinters behave and blew apart the record books with four runs so far beyond the possible that the times still barely make sense - suddenly has some serious problems on his king-sized plate.

Continue reading the main story
“You see people on TV false start and you think, that must be bad luck. And then you feel how bad it is. It's awful”

Usain Bolt

Those two defeats to Yohan Blake over 100m and 200m at the Jamaican Olympic trials last month, while seismic, were not the start or end of it.

From the moment he clocked 10.04 seconds in Ostrava at the end of May - the slowest 100m of his senior career - the whispers began that some of the old showboating magic might be missing.

Bolt appeared as nonplussed as the watching world. "My legs kind of felt dead," he admitted afterwards, "and I don't know the reason."

There were stories of late nights out, of tight hamstrings and a troublesome back, of a return to the parties and fun times of previous post-seasons rather than hard yards and fast times that took him to the top.

Many of them were nonsense or exaggeration. Bolt's celebrity and charisma is such that he attracts rumours and hangers-on like no other track star in the world.

A week after that sluggish start in Ostrava, he ran a blistering 9.76 secs in Rome - 15 hundredths of a second faster than he had run by the same point in his record-breaking season of 2009.

Even now, with less than two weeks to go until the start of the London Olympics, he has three of the five fastest 100m times in the world this year, with that showing in Rome, into a headwind of 0.1 ms, probably worth more than Blake's season's best of 9.75 secs with a 1.1ms tailwind.

For any other athlete that would be enough to still the alarm bells and send them to Stratford with a smile on their face and a strut in their step.

See how the men's 100m and 200m sprint world records have progressed over time with BBC Sport's Olympic graphics.

How have sprint world records changed?

But Bolt is not any other athlete. When you have won the sprint double at the previous Olympics by margins so vast your rivals were barely in the freeze-frame (he took the 100m in Beijing by 0.2 secs, the 200m by a staggering 0.66 secs) you inhabit a stage all of your own.

Few remember that Richard Thompson took 100m silver four years ago, or Shawn Crawford silver in the 200m. Should Bolt finish second in either, no-one will forget in an age.

Before the Jamaican trials, Bolt hadn't lost a 200m in four years. When Blake defeated him, not only by three hundredths of a second but by coming through and past when Bolt had led with 50 metres to go, it left spectators trackside with hands on heads and mouths agape.

Blake, of course, had beaten Bolt to 100m gold at the World Championships in Daegu last summer. But that, after the most famous false-start in the history of the sport, had felt different - the story almost entirely the disqualification, rather than the coronation.

As Blake celebrated in Kingston, Bolt was on the ground, receiving treatment from his physio for tight hamstrings.

A few days later he flew to Munich to see celebrated sports doctor Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt - a session described as a routine check-up by his agent - but when followed by his withdrawal from the Diamond League meeting in Monaco on 20 July, his final competitive outing before the Olympics, it appeared to take on greater significance.

Leading 100m times in 2012

•9.75 seconds - Yohan Blake
•9.76 - Usain Bolt
•9.79 - Usain Bolt
•9.80 - Justin Gatlin
•9.82 - Usain Bolt
•9.84 - Yohan Blake
•9.85 - Asafa Powell
•9.86 - Keston Bledman
•9.86 - Tyson Gay
•9.86 - Usain Bolt

On numbers alone Bolt does not appear to be in vastly different shape than he was in his biggest years.

By the middle of June in the last Olympic year of 2008 his fastest 100m time was 9.72 secs, just four-hundredths faster than his Rome showing a fortnight earlier this time around. In 2009, the year he went to the Worlds in Berlin and blitzed even those Beijing records to bits, his quickest run at the same point was just 9.91 secs.

So what is different this year?

There are rivals out there who know how to beat him - Blake, Tyson Gay. There are others who, years after their supposed peaks, will quietly be fancying their chances anew - former world record holder Asafa Powell; Justin Gatlin, the disgraced former Olympic champion back from his doping ban.

Then there is Bolt himself.

At the peak of his powers, laughing into the pre-race cameras, beaming on the blocks as others shook, he didn't appear to feel the same pressure as the others. It all seemed part of a wonderful game, and his exultant performances felt like part of the same glorious show.

Now? Now we're not quite so sure, and neither is he.

That World Championship final 11 months ago in Daegu may have triggered a more lingering malaise than many realised.

On that Sunday morning in South Korea Bolt was 20-1 on with some bookmakers to retain his 100m crowd. When he jumped the gun - not by a flinch, but by a street - we saw something new on his face, alongside the disbelief and despair: doubt.

"I just couldn't believe it," he tells a BBC One documentary to be shown on Monday. "You see people on TV false start and you think, that must be bad luck. And then you feel how bad it is. It's awful.

"I was in great shape, I was running fast, I was good. I was sure I was going to get my medal.

Play mediaBolt out before Blake takes gold in Daegu
"To know it's going to happen and then lose - not even lose, not make it to the finish line - it's hard, very hard.

"I pretty much squandered it, I'd say. All I could hear was something saying GO! in my head, and I just went, and after I thought, 'What the hell just happened?'"

Bolt's start, something he had turned from average to respectable over the previous three seasons, remains his greatest weakness.

He is a remarkable 3-1 with the bookies to be disqualified for a false-start in this year's Olympic final; as Michael Johnson, his predecessor as world 200m record holder and now BBC pundit says: "I am absolutely concerned that we could lose a Bolt."

Bolt is currently lying low in west London, living near Heathrow and training at nearby tracks as he does most summers before he heads, this year, to Jamaica's Olympic holding-camp in Birmingham.

He has always talked of his desire to make history by retaining both Olympic sprint titles. Carl Lewis, who knows a thing or two about such things, isn't entirely convinced he will do so.

"The reason it hasn't been done is because it's hard to stay at that level for a long period of time," says Lewis. "People are always trying to beat you when you are a champion.

"Blake has beaten Bolt two years in a row now after the World Championships in 2011, and we don't know what Bolt's head is like when he loses."

No-one is writing Bolt off. A man who has defied logic and precedent as he has done lives under different rules of physics to the rest of us.

"Last 10 metres, you're not going to catch me," insists Bolt.

"No matter who you are, no matter what you're doing, no matter how focused you are, no matter how ready you think you are, you're not going to catch me, because that last 10 metres is going to take me three and a half strides to pass the finish line."

saad1024
24th July 2012, 22:55
Nadal has withdrawn from London '12 event citing knee injury...Poor rafa :(

SempreSami
25th July 2012, 03:31
Lord's is looking absolutely glorious dressed in Olympic decor and bathed in sunshine.

shades
25th July 2012, 09:04
100M: 4 years of training culminating in less than 10 seconds and decided in fraction of a second. WOW.
Need to show this to cricketers who keep complaining that they have not got enough chances to perform!

Ibad17
25th July 2012, 10:30
USA will top the chart with China being 2nd..

withlovefrom vizag
25th July 2012, 11:14
Lin dan to win the men's singles badminton!

Excited abt Dipika kumari,she is the world no 1!!
Hope she wins the gold

withlovefrom vizag
25th July 2012, 11:17
Bolt failed to even come close to his record 9.59 this year,i think blake will take the gold going by the poor form of bolt.
But 200m winner will be Bolt :D

Shayan
26th July 2012, 20:43
Those that are in London today, what's it like? Today was apparently the busiest day in the history of Heathrow Airport.

cricketworm
27th July 2012, 23:41
Excited for opening ceremony.

Congratulation to British PPers for hosting this Olympic. Savor this moment for rest of your life. It's very rare opportunity. Enjoy it while it last.

And Good Luck.

I would love to visit London some day in my life time.

Cheers.

cricketworm
27th July 2012, 23:42
Bolt failed to even come close to his record 9.59 this year,i think blake will take the gold going by the poor form of bolt.
But 200m winner will be Bolt :D

Bolt win both.

cricketworm
27th July 2012, 23:45
My interest would be in 100m, 200m, diving, Judo, tennis, shooting, swimming, Basketball and many more.

Looney
27th July 2012, 23:48
Usain Bolt will win it inshallah :inzi

cricketworm
28th July 2012, 00:00
Watching how much security is needed for this kind of tournament. Quite a shame this for highly evolved human species.

Markhor
28th July 2012, 00:03
With local authorities paying £50k per day for the torch to pass through their area and now £27m on an opening ceremony, we could have helped sort out some of the mess we are in with all this money.

The Olympics has come in - billions of pounds over budget, middle of a recession with 2.5 million unemployed.

This is LONDON 2012, not Britain 2012. The Olympics just doesn't resonate with the common man, its an event full of minority sports that a lot of toffs from public schools play (canoeing, rowing).

Its a sporting event and should be part of the sporting bulletin. This wall-to-wall coverage is excessive.

Our economy has contracted for third time in a row, millions are unemployed in the worst economic crisis since the 1920s yet the masses are supposed to be distracted by this ridiculously hyped up event. Lord Coe is more interested in the sponsors than the people who are funding this event.

You're not allowed to wear Nike trainers at the stadium, or come in with Pepsi t-shirts - such is the corporate protectionism. The People's Olympics ? Yeah right, its the Sponsors Olympics.

An article just the other day reported how the original budget of under £3bn was hiked to £9bn.

It reported Cameron boasted that the games would generate £13bn over the next four years, and thus make a profit. That accounts for all revenues and sponsorships.

Sadly, someone neglected to inform him, that the total cost would actually exceed £24bn, and possibly higher than £30bn when all transport, improvements , and extra policing/security costs were factored in.

In addition - Any disability charity who has sponsored or helped any disabled person to reach the Paralympics, is not allowed to use the story of that person in any way that might be construed as fundraising. This includes using the words: Paralympics or Olympics, or 2012 - or even the words bronze silver or gold.

If people can look beyond the smoke and mirrors - people will be able to see what a farce this event really is, and who it really benefits.

Uzi
28th July 2012, 00:18
Those that are in London today, what's it like? Today was apparently the busiest day in the history of Heathrow Airport.

Busy.

Markhor
28th July 2012, 17:23
I'm crapping it over the 'Judo' and the 'Canoe Slalom' events personally.

Seriously, haven't heard of half of these sports - Fencing ?

withlovefrom vizag
28th July 2012, 17:30
Talkin abt minority sports,Britain makes the most of these games

TalhaSyed
28th July 2012, 18:04
Britain athletes should really be looking to make the most of this oppertunity of having the olympics in their back yard and winning as many medals as possible.

Obv USA & China will be the teams to beat

All updates for Pakistans Olympic campaigns, in particular, can be foundon thsi thread for those who are interested :)

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=158199

Space Cat
28th July 2012, 19:33

Fencing and Judo belong in there more than all these pro sports like Football and basketball.

Markhor
28th July 2012, 19:42
What is fencing ? Something about fighting with swords/sabres apparently...

There seems to be four types of Cycling and three types of Gymnastics.

To be fair, the BBC interactive page is class.

Space Cat
28th July 2012, 19:56
What is fencing ? Something about fighting with swords/sabres apparently...

There seems to be four types of Cycling and three types of Gymnastics.

To be fair, the BBC interactive page is class.

yep sword fighting essentially. Been around for centuries.

shahrukh619
28th July 2012, 20:21
Its ridiculous that they recognise some stupid games at the olympics, like handball and badmenton, but no sign of cricket

Space Cat
28th July 2012, 20:52
Handball is quite exciting and badminton is popular. Most people in those countries probably would think the same thing if cricket was in the Olympics.

OZGOD
29th July 2012, 08:59
Thought tickets were all sold out to the marquee events...what happened?

The swimming
http://images.smh.com.au/2012/07/29/3505974/dh_swimming-20120729110434155146-620x349.jpg

The women's tennis
http://images.smh.com.au/2012/07/29/3505973/dh_seats-20120729110343164174-620x349.jpg

The story

Where is everyone? Empty seats blamed on 'Olympic family' no-show

Jacquelin Magnay
Published: July 29, 2012 - 12:01PM

Advertisement
London 2012 organisers promised an investigation after thousands of empty seats were visible yesterday at some of the most popular Olympic venues.

Rows of vacant spots were seen at swimming heats, volleyball, gymnastics and dressage events on the opening day of the Games, with "no shows" by Olympic officials, athletes and members of the media blamed.

The London 2012 organising committee (Locog) said most of the empty seats were not those sold to members of the public, but had been reserved for members of the "Olympic family".

Sports fans complained in light of the great difficulty members of the public had faced in obtaining tickets for events after they originally went on sale. Many of the estimated one million-plus spectators lining the route of the men's cycling road race said they had been unsuccessful in attempts to buy tickets for other events.

One fan, Alex Batchelor, wrote: "Can anyone explain why there are lots of empty seats? Tried repeatedly to get tickets without success."

Organisers said last night that the public areas at the Aquatics Centre in the Olympic Park in Stratford, the dressage in Greenwich Park, tennis at Wimbledon and volleyball at Earls Court and Horse Guards Parade were all full. "The public areas at all of the venues are packed and rocking," a spokesman for Locog said.

"It is accredited areas for sponsors, media, international federations and even the support staff for those that are competing that are looking a bit sparse."

During morning swimming heats at the Aquatics Centre there were an estimated 500 empty seats in one "block" alone, while there were thought to be more than 1000 seats vacant at the gymnastics, despite would-be buyers being told sessions were sold out.

The sports taking place at the ExCel centre in Docklands, including judo, boxing, fencing and table tennis, appeared to be full.

Lord Coe, the chairman of Locog, had pledged to address the issue, which had plagued the Beijing Olympics, by having "flexible" accredited seating zones. This was meant to allow for smaller accredited areas for heats, taking place in the morning, which would then be expanded for evening sessions when the demand for finals tickets was highest.

Organisers appear to have abandoned that plan, citing the logistical and security problems involved in repeatedly changing the layout of venues. "We have reduced the size of the accredited areas compared with previous Games but it is too difficult to make the size of that area flexible," a spokesman said.

Organisers also believed some officials and sponsors slept in late yesterday to recover from Friday's opening ceremony, which finished well after midnight.

They are investigating which bodies did not use the seats and issuing warnings that tickets would be redistributed if the problem persists.

"We believe the empty seats are in accredited seating areas, and we are in the process of finding out who should have been in the seats and why they weren't there," the spokesman said.

One fan, Diana Hill, contacted the BBC, which is Britain's Olympic broadcaster, to complain about the empty seats.

She said: "To sit down and watch the first day and see the dressage event half full, huge chunks of seating empty in men's gymnastics and badminton (and I'm sure many more events), is incredibly frustrating.

"Where are all these apparently 'sold out' tickets going to? Sponsors? It's a sad joke."

There were thousands of empty seats at football matches but organisers were expecting this because large venues failed to sell out.

Originally, about 6.6 million of the 8.8 million tickets were made available to members of the public. However, many of those who applied failed to get tickets for any events at all, while others were only successful with a fraction of their total orders.

The balloting system ended with some of the most expensive tickets still available and about 500,000 football tickets removed from sale.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has ruled that a certain number of seats must be reserved for members of the "Olympic family", whose numbers include athletes, team officials, members of federations and others.

In most venues, at least a fifth of the seats are reserved for "family" members and sponsors, while this can rise to almost half the tickets for highly prized sessions such as athletics finals and the opening ceremony.

Officials have discussed operating a "recycling" scheme, similar to a policy used at Wimbledon for the tennis championships, which would see unused tickets resold at a much cheaper price to spectators who were already at the Olympic Park. They have also said they will make it very clear to sponsors that they must only take tickets they are certain will be used.

But yesterday it was unclear whether such a scheme would be introduced.

Most venues last night reported a vibrant atmosphere as fans turned out in hundreds of thousands for the opening day of the Games.

The Sunday Telegraph, London

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/off-the-field/where-is-everyone-empty-seats-blamed-on-olympic-family-noshow-20120729-2358y.html

IgnitedMind
30th July 2012, 00:07
Sania Nehwal Starts the Campaign with a Win..
http://static.ibnlive.in.com/ibnlive/pix/sitepix/07_2012/saina-olympics_ap-new.jpg
http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/01159/29IN_SAINA_NEHWAL_1159528f.jpg

Rower Swarn Singh goes to Quarter Finals...

http://drop.ndtv.com/albums/SPORTS/allindhope/swarnvirk_292912_012906_6831.jpg

Boxers Vijayender Singh and Bhagwan into pre Quarters..
http://images.jagran.com/Jai_B_July_29_2012.jpg
http://www.indiawest.com/indiawest_cms/gall_content/2012/7/2012_7$largeimg229_Jul_2012_000343620.gif

Markhor
30th July 2012, 00:16
Thought tickets were all sold out to the marquee events...what happened?

Locog have called in the Army (again !), this time to fill up the seats.

Have to feel sorry for the Army, first they had to cover for G4S where there was a shortage of security personnel despite months of G4S, the private security firm affirming that everything was under control...

Now they have been drafted in to watch some dire Olympic sports.

leatherface58
30th July 2012, 04:08
the funniest thing was some curmudgeons getting their knickers in a twist on seeing a clip of two girls kissing during the oc. personally, i they liked it and didnt want to admit it. :moyo

SempreSami
30th July 2012, 05:46

Are you really young or just really thick?

SempreSami
30th July 2012, 06:09
Also, caught the Men's Team final in the archery. Was watching from the top of the Mound Stand where workforce goes for breaks, and since we couldn't see the targets where we were and the TVs were a few seconds behind, we were going by the crowd's rection. Simply brilliant sporting theatre when Italy scored a 10 on the last arrow to win the gold medal.

Markhor
30th July 2012, 17:16
Are you really young or just really thick?
Its funny how you replied to Post 17 not Post 15, which was right above. Cold hard facts tough to swallow ?

I am concerned about the £9bn of taxpayers money going towards this - well it was actually supposed to be £3bn but who cares ? Lets just throw more money at this event even though as a nation we are completely broke.

The doctors and nurses losing their jobs, the lives that are being ruined by this recession, the worst since 1929 are supposed to watch some fun and games, sorry 'sport' and forget all about it ? Or the elderly who are having their winter fuel allowance cut ?

Did you know that any disability charity who has sponsored or helped any disabled person to reach the Paralympics, is not allowed to use the story of that person in any way that might be construed as fundraising. This includes using the words: Paralympics or Olympics, or 2012 - or even the words bronze silver or gold.

If people can look beyond the smoke and mirrors - people will be able to see what a farce this event really is, and who it really benefits - the large corporations.

But no - as long as SempreSami can put his Games Maker dress on and sod everyone else who aren't allowed to have an opinion.

James
30th July 2012, 19:52
A stunning men's 10m diving final in progress here. GB marginally ahead of China after two rounds out of six.

speed
30th July 2012, 20:08
This meng is a fine boxer light heavyweight 81kg.

jusarrived
30th July 2012, 20:10
Did anyone catch sumit sangwans boxing match against this Brazilian guy ? how on earth did they score 15-14 in favour of the brazilian ? Sumit completely dominated there and still lost ,pretty disappointing for the youngster .

speed
30th July 2012, 20:12
3 out of the 5 judges have to press the button at the same time for the punch to score.

Geordie Ahmed
30th July 2012, 20:15
Did anyone catch sumit sangwans boxing match against this Brazilian guy ? how on earth did they score 15-14 in favour of the brazilian ? Sumit completely dominated there and still lost ,pretty disappointing for the youngster .

I watched the 2nd and 3rd round and he was the better boxer, I was shocked the Brazilian was given the 2nd round 5-4

The commentators on the BBC called it a daylight robbery

jusarrived
30th July 2012, 20:21
I watched the 2nd and 3rd round and he was the better boxer, I was shocked the Brazilian was given the 2nd round 5-4

The commentators on the BBC called it a daylight robbery

Clear Bias , has always been against Asian boxers ..A Thai boxer lost unfairly yesterday as well.

Alexander
30th July 2012, 20:23
GB have thrown it away in the Diving.

speed
30th July 2012, 20:24
Does anyone know where that Indian boxer is the 1 that won gold in the commonwealth games?

jusarrived
30th July 2012, 20:30
Does anyone know where that Indian boxer is the 1 that won gold in the commonwealth games?

I think we won 3 or 4 .

Vijender won his first round , Vikas Krishnan & Suronjay are yet to start .

speed
30th July 2012, 20:31
I think we won 3 or 4 .

Vijender won his first round , Vikas Krishnan & Suronjay are yet to start .

The 1 that looks like Nepali/Chinese.

shaykh1985
31st July 2012, 01:46
I have enjoyed the gymnastics and swimming...

Even the archery final was decent to watch...BBC coverage has been top notch...really wish I wasn't doing a course this month...

Space Cat
31st July 2012, 02:23
Don't even bother with Olympic boxing. Its a joke most of the time.

Roy Jones Jr being robbed of a gold medal to some random Korean dude that he owned is one of the worst moments in Olympic history

speed
31st July 2012, 02:27
Weightlifting has been excellent so far north Korea with 2 gold medals and 2 world records, no one expected that.

murphyslaw79
31st July 2012, 04:35
Its funny how you replied to Post 17 not Post 15, which was right above. Cold hard facts tough to swallow ?

I am concerned about the £9bn of taxpayers money going towards this - well it was actually supposed to be £3bn but who cares ? Lets just throw more money at this event even though as a nation we are completely broke.

The doctors and nurses losing their jobs, the lives that are being ruined by this recession, the worst since 1929 are supposed to watch some fun and games, sorry 'sport' and forget all about it ? Or the elderly who are having their winter fuel allowance cut ?

Did you know that any disability charity who has sponsored or helped any disabled person to reach the Paralympics, is not allowed to use the story of that person in any way that might be construed as fundraising. This includes using the words: Paralympics or Olympics, or 2012 - or even the words bronze silver or gold.

If people can look beyond the smoke and mirrors - people will be able to see what a farce this event really is, and who it really benefits - the large corporations.

But no - as long as SempreSami can put his Games Maker dress on and sod everyone else who aren't allowed to have an opinion.

When was the Olympic bid won? 2005. The economy was booming then.

In 2008 when things went bad, London couldn't exactly turn round and say "sorry world, can't do this now".

They had to put on the best show possible and boy they did at the opening ceremony, which btw was mainly volunteers, and all the artists such as dizzy, Paul M were paid £1 for their services. The professional dancers were paid the market rate.

I can understand your point, but London was committed.

cricketworm
31st July 2012, 05:05
Olympics in any city is +ve for that city and country no matter how many - ve pop up!

It will always have more +ve than -ve. Always.

OZGOD
31st July 2012, 09:42
Amazing swim from 16yo Ye Shizen in the 400m individual medley, blew away the field and set a WR and beat her PB by 5 seconds! Over the last 50m she was faster than the men's champion Ryan Lochte. Who says girls can't be as good as boys eh.

Ryan Lochte knocked Olympic icon Michael Phelps off his perch on Saturday with a brilliant performance to win the men's 400m individual medley.

But just minutes later, in the women's version of the event, a 16-year-old Chinese prodigy performed an even more amazing feat as she smashed the world record and left her competitors far behind.

Ye Shiwen posted such a good time that her final 50m was in fact faster than Lochte's performance in the men's event, at just 28.93 seconds.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180836/London-Olympics-2012-Chinese-swimmer-Ye-Shiwen-breaks-world-record-leads-questions.html#ixzz22AbpcvjB

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/29/article-2180784-144468AD000005DC-841_306x423.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/29/article-2180784-144425CB000005DC-429_306x423.jpg

Kwremb
31st July 2012, 10:40
Amazing swim from 16yo Ye Shizen in the 400m individual medley, blew away the field and set a WR and beat her PB by 5 seconds! Over the last 50m she was faster than the men's champion Ryan Lochte. Who says girls can't be as good as boys eh.

Pathetic that US media trying to discredit her by alleging she took drugs. The young girl deserves better

Solid Snake
31st July 2012, 10:43
It would be suicidal to have taken performance enhancing drugs when there is going to be extensive testing carried out in this olympics.

I'm willing to stick my neck out and say that I feel confident she swam a fair race, and credit to her for an amazing achievement!

Alexander
31st July 2012, 10:45
What about the 15 year old Lithuanian who won Gold?

Solid Snake
31st July 2012, 11:02
^ Also an excellent achievement, and no doubt due to talent and handwork and not anything else :asif

Alexander
31st July 2012, 11:06
Yep her coach said after the race she went to get tested straight away, like all the main athletes do. Very pleased for her, the joy and shock on her face was great.

Shayan
31st July 2012, 13:49
Anyone know why squash is not an olympic sport?

in_cutter
31st July 2012, 14:44
It's a shame the young Chinese girl has raised suspicion among some. If she was a Brit or American, she would have been the best thing since sliced bread. Meanwhile, a 15yr old girl Lithuanian (British resident) wins a gold...and not a eyebrow is raised.

The way we celebrated yestreday over a couple of Bronze medals, you would have thought we had a gold rush- Just shows the pathetic standards we set- where are we on the medals table?

These athletes are TRAINED for gold. It's better to discipline them, keep them off the streets. We would definately win gold for binge drinking.

Markhor
31st July 2012, 17:01
Anyone know why squash is not an olympic sport?

Apparently its not 'television friendly' - in a squash court I guess its difficult to get good camera angles and things like that.

I play squash every week and its a cracking sport, should definitely be a part of the Olympics.

James
31st July 2012, 17:19
Bit harsh against the Chinese girl, she is probably just a top athlete.

No need to worry about Team GB, their strongest events are rowing, athletics and velodrome where they are favourites for a glut of medals, and these finals are to come.

jusarrived
31st July 2012, 19:35
The 1 that looks like Nepali/Chinese.

Did you mean Davendro singh ? Just knocked out his opponent in 1 n hlf mins .

Space Cat
31st July 2012, 21:04
It was an amazing achievement by the young Chinese swimmer but this whole beating Lochte over the last 50m has been blown out of proportion. She was still 23 seconds slower than his overall time.

Space Cat
31st July 2012, 21:10
That US swim coach had no right to question her time without any facts to the contrary.

cricketworm
1st August 2012, 00:29
WOW Phelps missed out on his signature event. 200 M Butterfly!

He messed up in touching.

Phelps ties with all time medal winner though. 18 medals.

shaykh1985
1st August 2012, 00:38
That US swim coach had no right to question her time without any facts to the contrary.

Sour grapes...and action should be taken against him for such slanderous comments...

Jo_Don
1st August 2012, 00:52
Yay gold number 2 for us! Chad Le Clos is one to watch, he's only 20 and the way he reeled Phelps in during the last 50m was simply awesome. Swimming is our best chance of a few medals though, don't have much confidence in most of the rest of the team.

cricketworm
1st August 2012, 01:10
Happy for Le Clos his name will be in history for beating Phelps, one the the greatest Olympian.

cricketworm
1st August 2012, 01:11
Phelps is telling Le Clos to show his medal for the camera! Humble Legend.

cricketworm
1st August 2012, 01:13
Yay gold number 2 for us! Chad Le Clos is one to watch, he's only 20 and the way he reeled Phelps in during the last 50m was simply awesome. Swimming is our best chance of a few medals though, don't have much confidence in most of the rest of the team.

there is no rugby I think. If there is they might have chance there I guess.

cricketworm
1st August 2012, 01:17
Time for Women 200M IM.

China is fav. And Also, Americans. And Australia And Conventry. :)

cricketworm
1st August 2012, 01:23
Ye Shiwen! What a beast!

Taurus
1st August 2012, 01:36
I don't think we should under-estimate the prevalence of drug use in all athletic sports. I am not making allegations against anybody, but illegal drugs is a multi-billion dollar business. There are 100s of undetectable performance enhancing drugs. Steroids, peptides, and lately, more complex drugs like SARMs, have completely shifted the realms of what is possible. I don't think it's any coincidence personally that the world records, since the introduction to the market of performance-enhancing mega-drugs, have dropped at even quicker rates than before. There is a limit to what is achievable.

Now, with the world moving onwards and forwards, everything is changing. The future lies in gene doping - the deliberate manipulation of somebody's genetics for the sake of gold medals. The Olympics is massive to some of these countries. I'd be amazed to find out that some of these 'athletes' aren't on drugs. Given my experiences of these things in my life, I tend to be very sceptical indeed of what's natural, and what isn't. It doesn't personally bother me because I tend to think that if one of them's at it, then they all are. You still need an awful lot of talent to be the best, irrespective.

Jo_Don
1st August 2012, 01:38
Phelps gets the record of 19 medals. The guy is an amazing sportsman!

cricketworm
1st August 2012, 01:56
I don't think we should under-estimate the prevalence of drug use in all athletic sports. I am not making allegations against anybody, but illegal drugs is a multi-billion dollar business. There are 100s of undetectable performance enhancing drugs. Steroids, peptides, and lately, more complex drugs like SARMs, have completely shifted the realms of what is possible. I don't think it's any coincidence personally that the world records, since the introduction to the market of performance-enhancing mega-drugs, have dropped at even quicker rates than before. There is a limit to what is achievable.

Now, with the world moving onwards and forwards, everything is changing. The future lies in gene doping - the deliberate manipulation of somebody's genetics for the sake of gold medals. The Olympics is massive to some of these countries. I'd be amazed to find out that some of these 'athletes' aren't on drugs. Given my experiences of these things in my life, I tend to be very sceptical indeed of what's natural, and what isn't. It doesn't personally bother me because I tend to think that if one of them's at it, then they all are. You still need an awful lot of talent to be the best, irrespective.

If there are drugs then there are tests to detect them. I think it's really impossible to get away with it.

The way many athletes train is so high-tech already that they mimic like they are on synthetic drugs.

ahamedirshad123
1st August 2012, 15:46
Over Excited Phelps' Mom finally realized that his son won silver and not the gold. :)))

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/phelps-mom.gif

Kwremb
1st August 2012, 16:17
Over Excited Phelps' Mom finally realized that his son won silver and not the gold. :)))

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/phelps-mom.gif

That's just an epic moment captured :)))

Not to good to laugh though but guilty as charged :))

James
1st August 2012, 16:38
Brilliant performance from the GB girls at Eton! The first gold of many.

chui_kadoo
1st August 2012, 17:00
Brilliant performance from the GB girls at Eton! The first gold of many.
About damm time too. Hope its first of many. Andy Murray has got a great chance of Gold. Thats if he avoids facing Federer or Djokovic

King_Rizzy
1st August 2012, 18:57
Brazil about to kick off against New Zealand. Expecting a one sided affair, Brazil should win comfortably.

Space Cat
1st August 2012, 19:04
there is no rugby I think. If there is they might have chance there I guess.

Rugby sevens will be in the next Olympics. Should be 2 golds for NZ.

Will be a great chance for the likes of Samoa and Fiji to get medals also.

King_Rizzy
1st August 2012, 19:05
Neymar scores, but offside.

Space Cat
1st August 2012, 21:20
Weightlifting is such a great event to watch. So much drama and excitement.

North Korea are shocking everyone so far.

Space Cat
1st August 2012, 23:56
Ouch. Elbow dislocation in the weightlifting.

Meanwhile the two Chinese competitors battle for the Gold medal and world record.

shaykh1985
2nd August 2012, 02:40
Watching some of the boxing...

I have seen some absolutely shocking refereeing this evening...I feel angry watching this...

Firstly the Azeri boxer Abdulhamidov got a gift...he was literally allowed to fall done every few seconds during the third round where he was clocked early...he should have been warned and the number of times he fell he should have got a standing 8 or a DQ...none of this happened and he squeaked to a win...

The second is involving Mazaheri who has just been victim to one of the most pathetic DQ's I have ever seen...fighters prepare years for these games and dont deserve this...Mazaheri rightly stormed off in protest...what a shocker...see it if you can...was disgusting...

shaykh1985
2nd August 2012, 02:40
The gymnastics has certainly been one of my favourite sports at these games...such a skilled sport...

Space Cat
2nd August 2012, 04:26
Beach Volleyball has that annoying horn thing like they have in the IPL.

Irritating.

Space Cat
2nd August 2012, 16:36
First gold for NZ!

TalhaSyed
2nd August 2012, 23:26
Chris Hoy & Co bring another gold to team GB and beat the World Record in the Mens Team Sprint!!

Chris Hoy has made GB (and Edinburgh/Scotland ) proud!

James
3rd August 2012, 00:45
3 gold and 3 silver for Team GB today! Well and truly up and running now, nicely done.

Gutted for Vicky but she took it well, a lovely girl who is one of our greatest sportswomen and pretty dang hot to boot. She'll be back for medals in the individual events.

GB are still on for a glut of medals over the next three days. If they can finish third in the medal table, it would be a great achievement. (China and the US are already out of sight, as expected.) Fourth would be decent but they've had that before. They should really aim for one better at home, and with this world-class team.

Alexander
3rd August 2012, 00:47
GB will nick 3rd I reckon. Come on!

cricketworm
3rd August 2012, 00:51
Tune in for Swimming. 200 IM. Phelps vs Lochte Part 2.

cricketworm
3rd August 2012, 00:51
What happened to Russians!

cricketworm
3rd August 2012, 00:52
Here it goes!

cricketworm
3rd August 2012, 00:53
Phelps leads butterfly 50m

cricketworm
3rd August 2012, 00:54
Backstroke Phelps WR pace.

cricketworm
3rd August 2012, 00:54
Phelps is ahead WR pace!!!

cricketworm
3rd August 2012, 00:55
PHELPS WON 20th medal!!!! GOLD MEDAL here!

Alexander
3rd August 2012, 00:55
Gold for Phelps! 20 Olympic medals wow!

cricketworm
3rd August 2012, 00:58
First Olympian to win Gold in same tournament for 3 straight Olympics. What a legend!

James
3rd August 2012, 01:00
This has been a cracking Olympics thus far! Brilliant sporting theatre, particularly today. The Grauniad and its pitifully hollow and biased 'Is this the worst Olympics ever' article can now pretty much be consigned to the dustbin. Along with the paper as a whole too perhaps.

Geordie Ahmed
3rd August 2012, 01:08
Seriously how do you guys decide what to watch? I want to watch all sports and I just end up channel hopping between random sports that I would normally not give a seconds thought to

Was watching a bit of Sailing yesterday, also Canoe Slalom which is quality, quite liked the Archery (saw some 15 year old kid from Moldova do quite well) BUT the best of them all has to be handball, what a sport, it is just brilliant viewing

Can't wait for the Athletics to start now

cricketworm
3rd August 2012, 01:12
Must say Japanese guys are pretty brilliant swimmers as well. They kind of took our Australian's medals. Australia need to step up for swimming. Also, France is doing well too.

cricketworm
3rd August 2012, 01:13
100 m women freestyle final coming up. It's going to be very close between Missy and Dutch girl.

cricketworm
3rd August 2012, 01:16
KROMOWODJOJO what a surname! WON NED won.

James
3rd August 2012, 01:40
Handball could be a big sport in the future, I haven't seen a game yet :( :( but apparently it is epic.

Cycling is the new craze in the UK it seems. Future Sir Bradley Wiggins, future Dame Victoria Pendelton, future CBE Chris Froome, future OBE Jason Kenny and current Sir Chris Hoy. Hero(ine)s!

pakistanalltheway
3rd August 2012, 01:45
Good day for team GB

Space Cat
3rd August 2012, 02:29
Handball could be a big sport in the future, I haven't seen a game yet :( :( but apparently it is epic.

Cycling is the new craze in the UK it seems. Future Sir Bradley Wiggins, future Dame Victoria Pendelton, future CBE Chris Froome, future OBE Jason Kenny and current Sir Chris Hoy. Hero(ine)s!

I was surprised by how exciting handball is. Even the women are very athletic and skillful.

Space Cat
3rd August 2012, 02:34
If you guys want a sport to watch. I can't recommend weightlifting any higher.

drama, tension, excitement and amazing feats of strength and willpower.

The Chinese lifter who was in tears of agony from a torn elbow but still went out and completed a lift to scure a silver medal was one of the best moments of these games.

pakistanalltheway
3rd August 2012, 02:35
Don't watch the boxing the decisions are shocking

Space Cat
3rd August 2012, 17:22
3 golds for New Zealand now.

Poison
3rd August 2012, 17:24
Australia have been pants.

Poison
3rd August 2012, 17:24
When is Usama bin Bolt racing? This is the only event I want to watch.

Geordie Ahmed
3rd August 2012, 18:20
When is Usama bin Bolt racing? This is the only event I want to watch.

100m heats start tomorrow with the final on Sunday, 200m final is on Thursday

s28
3rd August 2012, 19:24
Jessica Ennis was amazing in the hurdles today. What an athlete. The young up and comer Katarina Johnson-Thompson or Thompson-Johnson? apart from having a great name seems a good sport as well. When she was introduced to the crowd at the start line rather than giving it the focused one-thousand yard stare she was bouncing around milking the applause.

ahamedirshad123
3rd August 2012, 19:29
Vijay Kumar wins India's second medal

ahamedirshad123
3rd August 2012, 19:30
Silver!!!!!

ahamedirshad123
3rd August 2012, 19:32
Still a half chance for GOLD.

ahamedirshad123
3rd August 2012, 19:32
Gold for Pupo, silver for Vijay.

avidlearner
3rd August 2012, 19:35
Wrong Thread - Sorry

James
3rd August 2012, 19:53
GB up to fourth! Will surely be third after tonight when Vicky Pendelton and the guys pick up more medals in the Velodrome, and after Becky Adlington takes the 800m.

And as well as being a mean athlete, Jessica Ennis is probably the best-looking member of Team GB behind Vicky.

s28
3rd August 2012, 20:01
GB really benefitting from home advantage. That women hurdles race in the Heptathlon today Jessica Ennis set a time which would have won her the Gold at Beijing in the main Hurdles race !

You could feel the home crowd pushing/willing her on

James
3rd August 2012, 20:35
GB should get at least one more gold today and maybe a couple more tomorrow. Brilliant performance from their team. I also read that GB have won medals in as many sports as the USA, which shows how good an all-round team GB is. Considering the always inevitable dominance of China and the US in quantity of medals, GB are doing the next best thing.

SIMBA
3rd August 2012, 20:41
any links for hockey...dnt have sky :(

Pakistaniboy
3rd August 2012, 20:48
Interesting.

Federer had 3 break ball, but could not cash in on any.

Del Potro has been amazing.

s28
3rd August 2012, 22:17
1900 Heptathlon- Shot Put

Entering the shot put Jessica Ennis leads whilst compatriot Katarina Johnson trails in bronze. It is however one of Ennis' weakest event and her rivals will all be looking to make up ground

2045 Hepthalon-200m

The British trio all go again in today's final event with vital points up for grabs.

cricketworm
4th August 2012, 00:21
Another Gold for Micheal Phelps Geez! 100 m Butterfly. 21th medal overall. 16th Gold.

He still have chance to win for relay. One more race to go.

cricketworm
4th August 2012, 00:35
I am in love with Missy Franklin!

Space Cat
4th August 2012, 04:06
Australia still with only 1 gold. Not their best Olympics.

James
4th August 2012, 08:21
'Super Saturday'

25 golds to be decided, GB are in credible contention for 7 of them by my estimation.

ssuhaide
4th August 2012, 08:44
Shame about Becky Adlington. Still a true legend. She should not feel bad she did not let anyone down. Amazing how these 15 year olds turn up out of the blue and smash records and win medals.

s28
4th August 2012, 20:58
Chambers, Dasaoulu and Gemili good in the 100m but Bolt, Blake and the Americans were just jogging

Lots of talk of it being a fast track, seeing as some of the qualifiers for the Semi's jogged below 10s as long as Bolt is fit we could get some awesome times tomorrow.

SempreSami
5th August 2012, 00:51
This has been a cracking Olympics thus far! Brilliant sporting theatre, particularly today. The Grauniad and its pitifully hollow and biased 'Is this the worst Olympics ever' article can now pretty much be consigned to the dustbin. Along with the paper as a whole too perhaps.

D00d, that was just some bitter Canadian writing a response to a Guardian writer saying the same thing about Vancouver 2010.

James
5th August 2012, 01:19
Was it? It looked different on my Facebook feed. Fair enough.

As for the games? Sky's the limit for Team GB to be honest. They clearly have the best team relative to the size of their country/population. Could be three golds in the stadium just this evening. Amazing, unreal. Loving it.

KingKhanWC
5th August 2012, 02:26
Jamaica v USA in the 100m womens final.

Jamaica wins. Fraser.

shaykh1985
5th August 2012, 02:29
Well done Farah, Ennis and Rutherford...I may not like the footie or cricket team but I'm always happy to see our athletes do well...

A top top evening for team GB...

The footie team are in extra time against SKorea...looking like another shootout...

cricketworm
5th August 2012, 02:34
Brilliant day for the Brits! Congrats Brits Ppers.

I hope Markhor has something positive to say now. :)

KingKhanWC
5th August 2012, 02:40
Close in the penalty shoot out. Surely no GB team could lose today, even on pens?

KingKhanWC
5th August 2012, 02:44
Sturridge misses, shades of Ashley Cole. GB go out, some things never change: liniker lol

Geordie Ahmed
5th August 2012, 02:44
South Korea win on penalties, superb penalties by them

iHammad
5th August 2012, 02:47
Gotta feel for Daniel Sturridge

cricketworm
5th August 2012, 02:49
Brits can't take penalty shoot out, can they? Oh well! Happy for S. Korea

Space Cat
5th August 2012, 02:55
wonderful day of gold for Team GB.

But the football. well somethings never change.

shaykh1985
5th August 2012, 02:59
The South Koreans took some fantastic pens...you just knew Sturridge was gonna miss...some things really never change...

SempreSami
5th August 2012, 03:40
The 10,000 metres was the event I was looking forward to the most and it didn't disappoint. Absolutely delight for Mo, who came to the UK 21 years ago barely able to speak any English and is now a national hero.

OZGOD
5th August 2012, 10:40
Wow the Seppos nearly got done by the Lithuanians in the basketball eh. Would've been funny to see LeBum James's face had that happened...

withlovefrom vizag
5th August 2012, 14:10
The countries that i love,Russia and OZ failed to live up to their expectations

iZeeshan
6th August 2012, 00:01
Apparently the 100m mens seminfinal is today? in 15 mins? Am I correct?

Shayan
6th August 2012, 00:30
Yes, Bolt and Gatlin already through.

cricketworm
6th August 2012, 00:54
100 m final is going to be EPIC!!

cricketworm
6th August 2012, 00:55
Blake, Gay, Gatlin, BOLT OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!

12cavalry
6th August 2012, 01:43
How long before the 100m final?

cricketworm
6th August 2012, 01:45
I think around 40-50 minutes.

s28
6th August 2012, 01:56

about 25 mins left

Geordie Ahmed
6th August 2012, 02:14
Not long to go, about 7 mins

This should be a class race, the battle for silver and bronze will be interesting too

pakistanalltheway
6th August 2012, 02:16
Not long to go, about 7 mins

This should be a class race, the battle for silver and bronze will be interesting too

Bolt for Gold
Blake for Silver
Gatling for Bronze
Total Guesses BTW

Space Cat
6th August 2012, 02:20
Main event time.

KingKhanWC
6th August 2012, 02:21
Gatlin in the middle of Bolt and Blake could work for him. About to fire the gun!

Space Cat
6th August 2012, 02:23
Bolt is incomparable.

KingKhanWC
6th August 2012, 02:23
9.64 Bolt. Too fass :viv

pakistanalltheway
6th August 2012, 02:25
Bolt for Gold
Blake for Silver
Gatling for Bronze
Total Guesses BTW

My predictions were spot on

Poison
6th August 2012, 02:25

Looked like his start was average too.

KingKhanWC
6th August 2012, 02:26
My predictions were spot on

I wouldn't try the lottery based on this. :yk

9.63 final rounded down time. Poor Powell, fell to the floor before the end.

pakistanbest
6th August 2012, 02:27
What a 100m final, Bolt nailed it, brilliant stuff

12cavalry
6th August 2012, 02:27
Bolt is in a different league altogether :bow:

James
6th August 2012, 02:28
9.63 with an average start. Jebus.

pakistanalltheway
6th August 2012, 02:28
Wanted Powell to get a medal . Really feel sorry for him .

Poison
6th August 2012, 02:36
Powell looked like he tore a hamstring and still ran a better time than most people ever :ibutt

Space Cat
6th August 2012, 02:40
His starts are always poor because of how long it takes him to get into stride. Not something he can improve on really.

Doesn't matter when nobody can get near you on the 2nd half of the race.

shaykh1985
6th August 2012, 04:25
Firstly another brilliant day of sport...well done Bolt and well done Murray in particular...what a tremendous run by Bolt...was there ever any doubt really...

I have given up on watching boxing...but checked the results...

Its been reported that all 4 heavyweight fights today were outright robberies with more shameful refereeing and judging...

SempreSami
6th August 2012, 05:40
Looking forward to watching Beth Tweddle, Aliyah Mustafina, Viktoria Komova and all-around gold medalist Gabrielle Douglas in the uneven bars final tomorrow. Tried to get a ticket last minute when a few were released on sale tonight but it just wasn't to be.

Space Cat
6th August 2012, 11:18
Just realized this guy commentating the track and field for NZ is the guy Jesse Ryder beat up in the boxing ring.

s28
6th August 2012, 13:57
I think overall BBC coverage has been very good.

Nice to have Barry Davies out of retirement commentating on the Hockey.

Good to see also presenters like Mishal Hussain and some others who probably haven't got a clue about sport getting into the spirit of the Games.

James
6th August 2012, 14:24
I'm also a Barry fan. He only fully retired from football though, he's always been around since. Wish he would come back for live games and Match of the Day!

Shayan
6th August 2012, 14:43
Have to say, moment of the olympics so far has to be Mo Farah's victory. The noise, the commentary, the finish, absolutely incredible.

James
6th August 2012, 14:49
Saturday night will live long in the memory. One of the greatest days in British sport since '66. Any other contenders? Last day of the Ashes 2005 was also pretty special.

s28
6th August 2012, 14:55
Last day of Ashes 2005 was on Sky so a minority moment.

In terms of genuine National moments it has to be on the National broadcaster at prime time and so Saturday night I don't think it can be matched.

Shayan
6th August 2012, 15:17
Last day of Ashes 2005 was on Sky so a minority moment.

In terms of genuine National moments it has to be on the National broadcaster at prime time and so Saturday night I don't think it can be matched.

No it wasn't.

James
6th August 2012, 15:34
7.4 million Britons watched the climax of the 2005 Ashes on Channel 4, and it was the talk of the town and filled pubs all around the country.

s28
6th August 2012, 17:10
Ok so channel 4 still a minority channel

BBC primetime you are looking at 2-3x that

ahamedirshad123
6th August 2012, 18:50
Mary Kom's punches were spot on! 15-6!

Another medal has been confirmed for India :14:

SempreSami
6th August 2012, 21:14
Ok so channel 4 still a minority channel

BBC primetime you are looking at 2-3x that

s28
6th August 2012, 23:58
It is a shame that so many are ignorant of the World around them. Try to read Broadsheet newspapers and you may find yourselves better informed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/channel-4-promises-business-as-usual-minority-station-shrugs-off-accusation-that-it-is-destabilising-itv-by-attracting-too-many-viewers-1493482.html

"Channel 4 promises business as usual: Minority station shrugs off accusation that it is destabilising ITV by attracting too many viewers"

James
7th August 2012, 00:06
The Incredibly Boring is no authoritative publication.

Ashes was massiv in 2005 dude.

s28
7th August 2012, 00:29
Claiming it was 'massive' on a Cricket fans forum is unlikely to be contradicted.It was massive for cricket fans.

However in terms of national consciousness it was secondary and marginal owing to it being covered on a Minority channel. 7m viewers compared with 16m+ for the Olympics. That's over 2x.

Geordie Ahmed
7th August 2012, 00:58
lol, some walker has been banned for doping, this guy was the defending champion as well

s28
7th August 2012, 01:37
Doping for walking!

SempreSami
7th August 2012, 02:49
It is a shame that so many are ignorant of the World around them. Try to read Broadsheet newspapers and you may find yourselves better informed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/channel-4-promises-business-as-usual-minority-station-shrugs-off-accusation-that-it-is-destabilising-itv-by-attracting-too-many-viewers-1493482.html

"Channel 4 promises business as usual: Minority station shrugs off accusation that it is destabilising ITV by attracting too many viewers"

Get off your high horse, the Independent is a compact form paper now.

SempreSami
7th August 2012, 07:00
Anyways, returning to Olympic related biz.

Wooo Aliya Mustafina won gold in the women's uneven bars final in artistic gymnastics.

http://www.aliyamustafina.ru/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/tumblr_m8c9ji5FVU1qln5xto2_1280.jpg

Quite remarkable given that she suffered a torn ACL last April.

iHammad
7th August 2012, 10:09
Men Football, SF tomorrow, Brazil vs Korea

Uzi
7th August 2012, 14:44
Men Football, SF tomorrow, Brazil vs Korea

Would have liked to have seen Brazil, but we're going to the first semi today, which is Mexico v Japan at Wembley.

Amir
7th August 2012, 18:39
My favourite Jessica Ennis won. :)

Canada get screwed in womens SF :(

Space Cat
8th August 2012, 01:05
8iSNUSHrQ3k

OZGOD
8th August 2012, 05:11
Good win for Sally Pearson, didn't choke at least. We now have more golds than those annoying Hobbits :D

pakistanalltheway
8th August 2012, 05:31
8iSNUSHrQ3k

ouch

speed
8th August 2012, 15:55
taekwondo has started today

s28
9th August 2012, 00:51
Bolt and Blake jog into 200m finals

20.18 and 20.01

Blake almost came third he slowed down so much

Bolt jogged entire last 100m

s28
10th August 2012, 15:41
Lutalo Muhammad just made it into Quarter Finals of the Taekwando

To take place 1545 today

Has been quite a kerfuffle over his selection ahead of Aaron Cook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2186172/London-2012-Olympics-taekwondo-Aaron-Cook-stay-away-Lutalo-Muhammad-fight.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/other-events/taekwondo-lutalo-muhammad-keen-to-prove-critics-wrong-after-controversial-omission-of-aaron-cook-for-team-gb-8026651.html

James
10th August 2012, 15:49
Enjoying the taekwondo, Lutalo is a talent

cricketworm
11th August 2012, 01:31
USA women broke the WR in 100m relay! THAT WAS FAST! All women have more biceps than mine! :facepalm: at me. So power full!

s28
11th August 2012, 06:24
Lutalo won Bronze

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/taekwondo/9468352/Lutalo-Muhammad-wins-taekwondo-bronze-to-silence-doubters-at-London-2012-Olympics.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/10/london-2012-lutalo-muhammad-aaron-cook?newsfeed=true

s28
11th August 2012, 22:15
Mo Farah running around 7.30

Will be very hard to do the distance double but good luck to him

James
11th August 2012, 22:53
If Mo even gets a medal in this then it will be a fantastic overall effort. Getting gold in the 10,000 is already a successful games as it is. Gold tonight meanwhile would elevate him above even Dame Kelly Holmes. Good luck pal.

s28
12th August 2012, 00:36
Superb double. Even Dibaba in the women's event couldn't do the long distance double so highlights Mo's achievement

s28
12th August 2012, 00:38
Nice touch by Mo to outdo Bolt by doing sit ups after a 5000m race

Boi
12th August 2012, 01:05
Mo Farah you legend! Does the double! Incredible performance!

Geordie Ahmed
12th August 2012, 01:09
That was brilliant by Mohamed Farah, that last lap was just class

What an athlete, what a guy

SempreSami
12th August 2012, 05:00
Our greatest track athlete? I think so.