PDA

View Full Version : All purpose white flour

Noork85
9th August 2012, 08:47
What is it called in pakistan? Its not maida becuase thats more like cornstarch and used to make pastries and the likes, but not cakes.

So, what is it called?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LethalSami
9th August 2012, 10:00
Aata ???

:amir

sada90
9th August 2012, 10:00
White Flour
"Maida" in Urdu - also referred as "All-Purpose Flour", is a finely ground white wheat flour containing a moderate amount of protein; used for a wide variety of general baking and cooking.

amateurdentist
9th August 2012, 10:18
Aata ???

:amir

safaid aata

LethalSami
9th August 2012, 10:23
Yup thats it Safaid Aata. (white Aata)

Whole Wheat is a bit different, and we call it JUSt Aata.

with Safaid Aata they take out certain content (actually the good healthy stuff) and make it more like Maida (that has more clay-like behavior)

though don't take my word as final, coz at the end of the day, only thing i can make is tea and fry an Aanda :afridi

Lachrymose
9th August 2012, 10:25
It's funny that you mention this a week after I tried making a cake using "maida" instead of "all-purpose white flour." The cake sponge came out to be very very hard even though I put the exact amount as required. It was unchewable!
This week, I actually bought "all-purpose white flour" from the supermarket and remade the same cake. It turned out to be very soft and just like a normal cake.

All in all, "maida" and "all-purpose white flour" are not the same thing.

To answer your question, I too think it's called "safaid aata."

amateurdentist
9th August 2012, 10:29
seriously?
i just made that name up

Lachrymose
9th August 2012, 10:31
^ lucky guess then :))

Random Aussie
9th August 2012, 11:20
Racist thread

ammo
9th August 2012, 15:42
lol

Cricketismylife
9th August 2012, 16:55
Racist thread

lol

how comes u r not posting in time pass anymore?

Radiance Of Australis
9th August 2012, 21:29
It's funny that you mention this a week after I tried making a cake using "maida" instead of "all-purpose white flour." The cake sponge came out to be very very hard even though I put the exact amount as required. It was unchewable!
This week, I actually bought "all-purpose white flour" from the supermarket and remade the same cake. It turned out to be very soft and just like a normal cake.

All in all, "maida" and "all-purpose white flour" are not the same thing.

To answer your question, I too think it's called "safaid aata."

...wow. So I have finally got my answer.

Let me tell you what I'm talking about. My sis and I made a cake about 3-4 months ago. The result was as the same as yours ( quoted in bold) VERY unchewable. I never knew why it came out like that; I too put the correct amounts.

Now I know why! :P

ElRaja
9th August 2012, 23:39
i spilt some on my table the other day :yk

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Users/Help/screenshots/2011/4/10/1302449036684/lines-of-cocaine-powder-o-007.jpg

Cricketismylife
10th August 2012, 06:38

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Users/Help/screenshots/2011/4/10/1302449036684/lines-of-cocaine-powder-o-007.jpg

hahahhahaha

:akhtar

Random Aussie
10th August 2012, 06:40
lol

how comes u r not posting in time pass anymore?

Because posts in here infuriate me (on the subject of politics/religion) and I am in a minority. So better not to get into flame wars and stick mostly to cricket.

dhump
10th August 2012, 06:49

Shu shu we are discussing another type of all purpose white flour :P

Noork85
10th August 2012, 09:58
So "maida" and "safaid aata" are different, correct? Did anyones mummies or sisters ever make a cake with "safaid aata" specifically, and how did it come out?

I use cake flour and all purpose flour for my baking goods. I was just curious as to what all purpose flour would be in pakistan because maida is too cornstarchy. Cornstarch is actually used to thicken up and hold together ingredients so i can understand why the cakes for some of you came out chewy.

Must've been a disaster, eh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Salma_T
10th August 2012, 10:14
no idea what it is called in pakistan but you have:

Self Raising which is used for a lot of cakes
PLain flour or all purpose which can also be used for cakes but a yising agent such as baking power or bicorbante of soda will be needed for it to rise.
Whenever I have needed maida I have used just plain flour