PDA

View Full Version : Self Taught VS Classes...

shaykh1985
26th December 2012, 11:49
For those here that have learnt another language did you do it through classes or being self taught?...which do you think is better?...

I have a habit of stopping and starting with languages a bit...most recently Russian...stopped cos I didn't really want to go live there nor Ukraine for the moment...decided to focus on a language which i'll get to use daily...as for Russian I did both classes and self teaching...I had a good teacher imo but other than pronounciation I don't think there is that much she could have done that I couldn't do with a self teaching book with an answer key...it doesn't help also when there are students in your class who move at different paces...at times the classes were too slow...

I had private classes for Georgian and just don't think the teacher and me clicked...Georgian teachers had a habit of giving you absolutely no time when reading before they gave a correction...but finding one with decent English was a problem so I won't generalise from that experience...

Teachers are akin to personal trainers in that their role is to motivate you and ensure you do things correctly...although you can easily learn correct technique and utilise self motivation if you have equipment at home...

I am someone who did badly at languages at school....I absolutely hated my German and Latin classes but as an adult I have realised I am not nearly as bad at languages as I initially thought...

Japanese is my latest project and hopefully I see this one through cos it seems an easy language to forget if you get sloppy...and with this I plan to go the self taught route...

Pronounication is something you can solve if you have a keen ear imo...if you watch enough movies or your immersed in a culture then you'll pick up an accent...

When I returned from Colombia I was told my Spanish sounded Colombian and even had a bit of a Medellin twang so teachers I think for languages as an adult aren't necessary...

Anyone disagree?...

rockers2012
1st January 2013, 14:49
For real expert opinions on language learning in general, you need to check this polyglot language forum.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/

As for my personal opinion is concerned, you can take care of most of your language skills on your own such as reading(graded readers, forums, novels, short detective stories) , listening(podcasts,movies, radio) and writing (now various forums/chat rooms are available). However, your knowledge is still in a passive mode. If you can sign up for one to one conversation classes with a native tutor, more power to you, that's the best way to gain fluency. The main attention should be focused on the spoken part etc

shaykh1985
2nd January 2013, 02:04
For real expert opinions on language learning in general, you need to check this polyglot language forum.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/

As for my personal opinion is concerned, you can take care of most of your language skills on your own such as reading(graded readers, forums, novels, short detective stories) , listening(podcasts,movies, radio) and writing (now various forums/chat rooms are available). However, your knowledge is still in a passive mode. If you can sign up for one to one conversation classes with a native tutor, more power to you, that's the best way to gain fluency. The main attention should be focused on the spoken part etc

Thanks for the feedback...I enjoy the self learning so far but of course what I'm lacking is correction...I know I'm reading correctly...

I'm hoping that immersion can sort of remedy that due to formal learning being quite expensive...

What languages have you learned btw?...

Cricket-o-Saurus
13th January 2013, 04:22
i think the best way to learn a language is to practice speaking it to someone who knows it well...so that u can be corrected and learn and register new words at the same time....
reading also helps...even though if u dont understand everything....you get the hang of it nd what 'style' it uses.....if you know what i mean..m talking from personal experiience:)