PDA

View Full Version : India’s cruise missile test goes wrong

MRSN
16th March 2013, 17:23
BHUBANESWAR – India’s first indigenously developed medium range subsonic cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’ on Tuesday failed to hit the target. In its maiden trial test-firing the missile terminated mid-way after deviating from the flight course.

The two-stage missile blasted off from the eastern state of Orissa but the test flight was halted prematurely to ‘ensure coastal safety’, the state-run Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said.

The missile, which failed to hit the intended target in the sea, was terminated over the Bay of Bengal after it was airborne for about 25 minutes but crashed on land at some distance from a village near Kendrapara in Odisha, DRDO spokesman Ravi Gupta said. It is unusual for aborted missiles to fall on land.

The DRDO while making the announcement, however, said the sub-sonic missile ‘Nirbhay’ (fearless) with a strike range of around 1,000 km was ‘successfully’ launched and met the basic mission objectives and performed some of the manouveres satisfactorily.

With a range of 1,000 kilometres, the subsonic missile is intended to cruise like an aircraft and can be launched from land, sea and air, defence officials said. The surface-to-surface missile is fitted with a turbojet engine and is capable of flying at low altitudes to avoid detection.

India already has in its arsenal the supersonic BrahMos missile which it developed jointly with Russia.

Tuesday’s test comes less than a year after India successfully launched its nuclear-capable Agni V ballistic missile with a range of more than 5,000 kilometres.

The Indian military views the Agni V missile as a key boost to its regional power aspirations and one that narrows - albeit slightly - its huge gap with China’s technologically advanced missile systems.

While the shorter-range Agni I and II were mainly developed with India’s traditional rival Pakistan in mind, later versions with longer range reflect the shift in India’s focus towards China.

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/national/13-Mar-2013/india-s-cruise-missile-test-goes-wrong

dhump
16th March 2013, 17:56
I wish that every such test conducted by any country and I mean any country should result similar manner so we have some kind of forced peace.

mani1
16th March 2013, 17:58
India already has in its arsenal the supersonic BrahMos missile which it developed jointly with Russia.

Judging by this and many other tests looks more like a paint job.

TM Riddle
16th March 2013, 18:10
so many anti India thread these days

Senman
16th March 2013, 18:27

Judging by this and many other tests looks more like a paint job.

Paint job will result in 100% success. It's good India is trying and fail, eventually we will get it right. Something you guys ought to learn from us, as a country.

mani1
16th March 2013, 18:29
Paint job will result in 100% success. It's good India is trying and fail, eventually we will get it right. Something you guys ought to learn from us, as a country.

Brahmos was a paint job.

Senman
16th March 2013, 18:32
Brahmos was a paint job.

Proof? Which missile is painted as Brahmos?
Are you gonna perform disappearing act now?

mani1
16th March 2013, 18:33
Proof? Which missile is painted as Brahmos?
Are you gonna perform disappearing act now?

Which cruise missile has India created on its own? How much money does it make importing said missile?

mani1
16th March 2013, 18:40
Also does india indigenous Cruise misslile go over the 290km range which i think is not allowed via international law to be exported the Brahmos conveniently doesn't go past that.

Coincidentally Pakistan's "paint job" does.
I am sure some one with a lot more military knowledge than me can elaborate further.

Senman
16th March 2013, 18:51
Which cruise missile has India created on its own? How much money does it make importing said missile?

You said paint job? Please share/show 'paint job' of which missile? Don't skip this question.

Senman
16th March 2013, 18:55
Also does india indigenous Cruise misslile go over the 290km range which i think is not allowed via international law to be exported the Brahmos conveniently doesn't go past that.

Coincidentally Pakistan's "paint job" does.
I am sure some one with a lot more military knowledge than me can elaborate further.

I am not a military expert, so don't know which country has better missiles but prove that Brahmos is a paint job as you claimed.

Animal
16th March 2013, 19:37
I wish that every such test conducted by any country and I mean any country should result similar manner so we have some kind of forced peace.

The only sensible post in this thread so far.

mani1
16th March 2013, 19:39
I am not a military expert, so don't know which country has better missiles but prove that Brahmos is a paint job as you claimed.

Brahmos version for India, co-developed by Russia and India, based on Oniks, produced under license by BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited in India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-800_Oniks

0tt0man
16th March 2013, 19:42
I believe India does it on purpose. So if the need arises, they can take their enemies by surprise with a working missile. :)

mani1
16th March 2013, 19:46
I believe India does it on purpose. So if the need arises, they can take their enemies by surprise with a working missile. :)

To be fair i think they are trying to make it on their own which obviously they cant at the moment all the success full ones have bee"jointly produced"

Also have India even finished make the LCA? What generation is it?
Apparently they are going create a 5th generation plane "jointly produced" with Russia.

Senman
16th March 2013, 20:40
Brahmos version for India, co-developed by Russia and India, based on Oniks, produced under license by BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited in India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-800_Oniks

Read it, understand it. Hardly a paint job.

Senman
16th March 2013, 21:08
To be fair i think they are trying to make it on their own which obviously they cant at the moment all the success full ones have bee"jointly produced"

Also have India even finished make the LCA? What generation is it?
Apparently they are going create a 5th generation plane "jointly produced" with Russia.

What now? you think countries are like the ones from "Age of Empires," start with a tech? do you know how much USA and Russians invested in acquiring those techs. JV is no joke, our automobile industry is a testament to it, eventually we will create our own tech.

Whats this condescending attitude? you behave as if you are representing a first world country!! I am glad India is investing in all industries & not just in defense that's why we're ahead in so many things vis-a-vis Pakistan. You probably need to ponder why, in your country, defense industry is so ahead of others?

KingKhanWC
16th March 2013, 21:08
The only sensible post in this thread so far.

It was a very daft statement to put it kindly. What is forced peace from missile failures?

India is very used to failures of this nature. :nehra

mani1
16th March 2013, 21:16
Read it, understand it. Hardly a paint job.

Why is it produced under license if it is co-developed? It is also conveniently under the 300 Km limit allowed for Russian export under international law?

Also how many country's has India exported the Brahmos too.
Russia has exported its Yakhont to many.

mani1
16th March 2013, 21:20
What now? you think countries are like the ones from "Age of Empires," start with a tech? do you know how much USA and Russians invested in acquiring those techs. JV is no joke, our automobile industry is a testament to it, eventually we will create our own tech.

Whats this condescending attitude? you behave as if you are representing a first world country!! I am glad India is investing in all industries & not just in defense that's why we're ahead in so many things vis-a-vis Pakistan. You probably need to ponder why, in your country, defense industry is so ahead of others?

Russia and america don't go from failing to make a fighter plane with foreign engine of the likes of LCA then go on to jointly produce 5th generation fighter planes.

The UK Germany etc don't have the technology or funds to jointly produce a 5th generation fighter plane hence why they along with many others have signed up for the F35.

Senman
16th March 2013, 21:34
Why is it produced under license if it is co-developed? It is also conveniently under the 300 Km limit allowed for Russian export under international law?

Also how many country's has India exported the Brahmos too.
Russia has exported its Yakhont to many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrahMos
Read it if you are interested

mani1
16th March 2013, 21:44
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BrahMos
Read it if you are interested

Either dead links or baloney like

"We have no competition for the next 10 to 15 years from American or the French makers of cruise missiles as the BrahMos is the fastest and most cost-effective system ever to be built," Pillai said.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20100216/DEFSECT01/2160306/BrahMos-To-Export-Cruise-Missile-Systems-CEO

Russian Navy
The defence ministry reported that due to the size and hull specifications of the BrahMos, few if any of its new ships will be able to accommodate it.[85]

So Russia jointly produces the Brahmos yet cant use it in its new ships due to its size.
I'm sure they knew the size of it when they decided to re brand the Yakhont under license to India.

Senman
16th March 2013, 21:47
Russia and america don't go from failing to make a fighter plane with foreign engine of the likes of LCA then go on to jointly produce 5th generation fighter planes.

The UK Germany etc don't have the technology or funds to jointly produce a 5th generation fighter plane hence why they along with many others have signed up for the F35.

Dude you don't get it do you?
Read about India's automobile industry & how it was developed. JV is the first step in acquiring , developing technology. Advanced techs like this doesn't fall from tree or appear in dreams.

India currently doesn't have the tech to manufacture jet engine but that doesn't mean they have to quit trying. India heavily invested in Sukhoi PAK FA because it includes TOT, which means 'know-how' on how to make things. Why am I feeling I'm talking to a kid?

Missile failed, so what? India is not engaged in war with any country, we have ample time to get it right. Defence is just one industry, success and failure is a part of it.

Senman
16th March 2013, 21:58
Either dead links or baloney like

"We have no competition for the next 10 to 15 years from American or the French makers of cruise missiles as the BrahMos is the fastest and most cost-effective system ever to be built," Pillai said.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20100216/DEFSECT01/2160306/BrahMos-To-Export-Cruise-Missile-Systems-CEO

Russian Navy
The defence ministry reported that due to the size and hull specifications of the BrahMos, few if any of its new ships will be able to accommodate it.[85]

So Russia jointly produces the Brahmos yet cant use it in its new ships due to its size.
I'm sure they knew the size of it when they decided to re brand the Yakhont under license to India.
You mean russians produced Yakhont but can't fit it in their ships and sold it to Indians?
does this make any sense?

mani1
16th March 2013, 22:03
Dude you don't get it do you?
Read about India's automobile industry & how it was developed. JV is the first step in acquiring , developing technology. Advanced techs like this doesn't fall from tree or appear in dreams.

India currently doesn't have the tech to manufacture jet engine but that doesn't mean they have to quit trying. India heavily invested in Sukhoi PAK FA because it includes TOT, which means 'know-how' on how to make things. Why am I feeling I'm talking to a kid?

Missile failed, so what? India is not engaged in war with any country, we have ample time to get it right. Defence is just one industry, success and failure is a part of it.

Learning know how doesn't mean jointly producing.

Pakistan has TOT on Augusta submarines.
Israel has access to Western tech and money/aid and is light years ahead of India and they have not created or jointly produced a fighter plane, they may have modified but not produced.

Though I agree if you want to be a major player which I don't consider India to be yet (China is the big dog in the neighborhood) you need to create and export your own tech.
So it is a step in the right direction but a million miles away from jointly producing as the likes of the Eurofighter was.

mani1
16th March 2013, 22:08
You mean russians produced Yakhont but can't fit it in their ships and sold it to Indians?
does this make any sense?

The Yakhont is Russia's export variant and is under the 300km limit Oniks is the one Russia uses.

The P-800 Oniks (Russian: П-800 Оникс; English: Onyx), also known in export markets as Yakhont

Also

Bastion-P Coast mobile missile system
[edit]Operators

Russia 3 "Bastion-P" complexes
Indonesia
4 VLS (vertical launching system) mounted on Van Speijk-class frigate KRI Oswald Siahaan (354),50 missiles[5]
Vietnam 2 "Bastion-P" complexes delivered, 40 missiles
[6] land-based coastal defense system[7]
Syria 2 "Bastion-P" complexes delivered in 2011, 72 missiles [8][9]
[edit]See also

They all purchased the Yakhont, not the modified for India Brahmos.

UmarAkmals-fan
16th March 2013, 22:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5TdCLe2Yc

oops :kohli

Senman
16th March 2013, 23:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5TdCLe2Yc

oops :kohli

awesome job on fake video :)))

Senman
16th March 2013, 23:09
The Yakhont is Russia's export variant and is under the 300km limit Oniks is the one Russia uses.

The P-800 Oniks (Russian: П-800 Оникс; English: Onyx), also known in export markets as Yakhont

Also

Bastion-P Coast mobile missile system
[edit]Operators

Russia 3 "Bastion-P" complexes
Indonesia
4 VLS (vertical launching system) mounted on Van Speijk-class frigate KRI Oswald Siahaan (354),50 missiles[5]
Vietnam 2 "Bastion-P" complexes delivered, 40 missiles
[6] land-based coastal defense system[7]
Syria 2 "Bastion-P" complexes delivered in 2011, 72 missiles [8][9]
[edit]See also

They all purchased the Yakhont, not the modified for India Brahmos.

Show me anything concrete, you and I can edit wikipedia to our advantage. You said Brahmos is a paint job, prove it.

Brahmos:
http://www.brahmos.com/

LethalSami
16th March 2013, 23:26
every other day, their missiles are falling outta the skies.....

.........AS IF........They are MADE IN INDIA :yk

Senman
16th March 2013, 23:30
Learning know how doesn't mean jointly producing.

Pakistan has TOT on Augusta submarines.
Israel has access to Western tech and money/aid and is light years ahead of India and they have not created or jointly produced a fighter plane, they may have modified but not produced.

Though I agree if you want to be a major player which I don't consider India to be yet (China is the big dog in the neighborhood) you need to create and export your own tech.
So it is a step in the right direction but a million miles away from jointly producing as the likes of the Eurofighter was.

So what you're trying to say is, currently India, advance-tech wise, is not comparable to EU, US, Russia & China? I agree, is that it?

JV isn't about being equal partner, its about bringing something tangible to the partnership. India jointly producing FGFA means it will have the 'state of the art' tech which it can incorporate in its projects, eventually we will create our own tech, this is not a game, it takes time.

What I don't understand is the joy you guys in the failure of one project in one industry. Jealous!! hope not

ahmedzee
16th March 2013, 23:32
so many anti India thread these days

Just few negative ones have been posted. It can't be called anti-India, because then 90% of threads on Pakistan can be called anti-Pakistan thread. You know what I am talking about :)

ahmedzee
16th March 2013, 23:34

You really have to be blind of ignorant to conclude that video is fake.
It is few years old, and this is not the first time I saw that. No harm in owning up and saying "yes, we failed once"

Senman
16th March 2013, 23:35
Just few negative ones have been posted. It can't be called anti-India, because then 90% of threads on Pakistan can be called anti-Pakistan thread. You know what I am talking about :)

Nah this is not anti-India thread, its just bunch of kids with insecurity issues. This is their way of boosting self confidence ',rejoice the failure of others as nothing good can come out of us' :)

UmarAkmals-fan
16th March 2013, 23:36

not fake ,,this happend a few yrs ago :kohli

DesiMunda
16th March 2013, 23:42
It is fake. That's a German V2 rocket from WWII.

Back on topic, Nirbhay is a big step up technology wise for DRDO/ADA. I think they will try again in 6 months or so.

Brahmos is awesome, but due to MTCR by Russia, they can't extend the range beyond a certain point. Hence, this effort.

Senman
16th March 2013, 23:43
You really have to be blind of ignorant to conclude that video is fake.
It is few years old, and this is not the first time I saw that. No harm in owning up and saying "yes, we failed once"

Its a propaganda video. That is V2 tested by Germans during WW2, yes they failed that time. All these time you guys believed this is real :)))

ahmedzee
17th March 2013, 00:04
Its a propaganda video. That is V2 tested by Germans during WW2, yes they failed that time. All these time you guys believed this is real :)))

What about the fox news channel talking about it?? Was it fake too?? Their voices were fake as well????

DesiMunda
17th March 2013, 00:09
What about the fox news channel talking about it?? Was it fake too?? Their voices were fake as well????
They are talking about a failed Indian missile launch. But that video of the missile is either added in by a video editor, or the anchors were sent a fake video. The anchors themselves in the video state that they cannot verify the authenticity of the video. Lookup videos of V2 rocket failed launches in youtube and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Itachi
17th March 2013, 00:09
Failure is pillar of success.

Looney
17th March 2013, 00:25
If only we competed like that to restore peace in every part of the world .

Senman
17th March 2013, 00:27

Come on follow your own rules. No harm in owning up and saying "yes, I screwed up"

Senman
17th March 2013, 00:29
If only we competed like that to restore peace in every part of the world .

Competition is good Looney, problem is India is still not trying to compete with China.

Looney
17th March 2013, 00:55
Compete for the constructive things , not destructive . I criticize our army and government for overspending so much on defence when our people are living in poverty .

Garuda
17th March 2013, 01:03
'Girte hain sheh-sawar hi maidain-e-jung mein, Woh tifl kya gire, jo ghutno ke bal chalein'

Failure is the pillar of success.

Senman
17th March 2013, 01:27
Compete for the constructive things , not destructive . I criticize our army and government for overspending so much on defence when our people are living in poverty .

Defence spending is not wrong but only spending on defence is wrong.

Looney
17th March 2013, 01:35
Pakistan`s defence spending is estimated to be at least over 30 % . In a country , where people are struggling to make ends meet , electricity and gas loadshedding , traffic and security problems are there on daily basis . Instead of solving those problems first along with better standard of education , we just either pocket the money or spend it on army that is struggling to provide security to its own institutions , forget the large population we have .

India is not any better , if you compare the dispartiy between the classes in both countries , India is worse . Yet a country like that , instead of doing something about the differences , spends so much money on missiles and nukes it will never use .

Garuda
17th March 2013, 01:44
Spending money on technology and research is not bad.

DRDO spends money on developing new and advanced weapons. That doesn't mean they are making missiles day in day out.

The more advanced they can make locally, the dependence on import will reduce too.

So, it's not all bad.

Looney
17th March 2013, 01:47
Whatever makes you feel safer and better then . The money could be better spent elsewhere , IMO . :azhar

Garuda
17th March 2013, 02:00
Whatever makes you feel safer and better then . The money could be better spent elsewhere , IMO . :azhar

Absolutely it could be.

Education and health in India requires much more than what we spend.

But we also needs to be little practical too. To improve all sectors, the first thing is to keep the economy stable and which requires a safer country too.

Today whatever better life we are seeing in India compared to 20 years back is because of a stable economy.

With so much terrorism and volatile neighborhood, the defense spending is also a priority. Also defense research is also an industry. Hopefully in future it will add to Indian economy like space program has started doing.

Blitzkrieg27
17th March 2013, 05:29
Mehh....Atleast India is trying to develop indigenous capability. Name one thing that Pakistan developed indigenously????? Gauri, Hatf etc etc are all "paint jobs" of Chinese and North Korean missiles. Btw..whats with the sudden India obsession

jatt
17th March 2013, 06:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUFZ-fhzoxY&feature=player_embedded

original video

DHONI183
17th March 2013, 23:16
How nice it would have been had India spent this much money on education, health or to counter poverty etc., isn´t it:)?

What a post:14:! One of the best posts of all time:).

Senman
18th March 2013, 05:56
How nice it would have been had India spent this much money on education, health or to counter poverty etc., isn´t it:)?

Noble thoughts Dhoni183 but it needs commitment from neighbours too, China and Pakistan. Money is not our problem, corruption is.

Pak-Legend
18th March 2013, 06:28

We should start by having the countries with the most military spending on nuclear weapons experiencing their eternal failure first, and then move down the list from there. :19:

http://www.global1.youth-leader.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Total-Military-and-Nuclear-Weapons-Spending-2010-2011-.png

Saudi
18th March 2013, 06:55
Pakistan`s defence spending is estimated to be at least over 30 % . In a country , where people are struggling to make ends meet , electricity and gas loadshedding , traffic and security problems are there on daily basis . Instead of solving those problems first along with better standard of education , we just either pocket the money or spend it on army that is struggling to provide security to its own institutions , forget the large population we have .

India is not any better , if you compare the dispartiy between the classes in both countries , India is worse . Yet a country like that , instead of doing something about the differences , spends so much money on missiles and nukes it will never use .

Too much bluster in Pakistanis. Always saying things like We are an atomi taqat, yeah great job on that, too bad we are still one of the few countries that has polio problem...

Itachi
18th March 2013, 07:09

making a generalisation, if countries do not spend money on defence, there won't be a country for the people to live in.

freelance_cricketer
18th March 2013, 07:41
'Girte hain sheh-sawar hi maidain-e-jung mein, Woh tifl kya gire, jo ghutno ke bal chalein'

Failure is the pillar of success.

waah waah garuda ji kya baat kahi hai..

Failure is the proof of indigenous production. We will get it right soon, until then keep calm and hail DRDO. :kohli

justarslan
18th March 2013, 09:22
India should stick to making winter coats.

DHONI183
18th March 2013, 14:35
Noble thoughts Dhoni183 but it needs commitment from neighbours too, China and Pakistan. Money is not our problem, corruption is.

Thanks mate:). And yes, when I say such a thing, it applies to all, and by that I mean all:).

Ranjha
31st March 2013, 18:38
india prolly filled the missile with vegetables like their fast bowlers.

:nehra :kapil

mithun_minhas
31st March 2013, 20:13
india prolly filled the missile with vegetables like their fast bowlers.

:nehra :kapil

Yes.

Missile was trundling towards the target, ran out of fuel and fell waaaay short :nehra