PDA

View Full Version : Is it allowed to EatFood cooked in restaurant which also serve bacon

PTI
15th June 2013, 21:45
Salam All
I have one query that The city i am living in has few indian restaurants but no pakistani restaurants.
There are two issues
1- The chef is hindu guy ( I have heard that it is not permissible to eat food cooked by person other than muslims or who are "Ahel kitab"(Chiristians/Jews) and hindu's doesnt fall in this category.
2- They say the meat (Chicken/ cow meat is halal) but they also serve bacon(Pig) food.So is it permissible to eat from a place as they must be using the same crockery for bacon preparing and serving as like halal meat etc.I mean maybe they are not soo careful and cutting bacon and without washing that knife or plate where bacon was put they use it for halal food.

Kindly help me if any one has any islamic research or reference with regards to my situation.
JazakALLAH khair.

Note: Apology to all Non muslim members of this forum if anything which i wrote hurt their feelings.As islam teaches us to be kind and friendly towards every human.

LooneyReturns
15th June 2013, 22:16
I eat wherever they say it is halal , not picky . Only reason I dont eat at Indian restaurants is that I find their food too have too much of that masala taste .

If it bothers you so much , don`t eat at such restaurants . If you cannot find a proper Halal place run by Ahl e Kitab then cook food at home or move to a Muslim country .

HamzaSaeen
15th June 2013, 22:27
I don't think you should take the risk, they are using the same kitchen equipment for bacon and 'halal' meat, only Allah knows if they are actually properly washing them and stuff.

PTI
16th June 2013, 14:43
JazakALLAH brothers for your input and advice.May ALLAH have mercy on all human beings.ameen

FusedBulb
16th June 2013, 23:31
There is an easy way to answer your question.

Hypothetically, replace the bacon with human excrement. And ask yourself if they serve sh!t in these pots and plates, will I use them in my home to serve meal in them? Will I eat food from such crockery? Other, and a more diluted, example would be,,, It's like drinking water directly from a "lota" that is also used in your restroom.

And there is always a simple rule that some scholars have defined. Do NOT take the word of the chef or any restaurant employees for their food being halaal IF they sell and serve alcohol.
I think there are plenty of options to buy prepacked forzen halaal food in desi stores. You can also order online. Where there is a will there is a way.

Jadz
17th June 2013, 00:05
I think that if you are very hungry, and there is no other alternative, then eating in such a restaurant ought to be fine. Ensure that you have informed your hosts that you are a Muslim, and would like them to use separate utensils in order to prepare your meal. I find Indians - ie. Hindus and Sikhs - truly respectful towards Muslims, and they are knowledgeable about the fact that the latter only eat Halal food.

We might bear in mind here, that many Muslim establishments sell alcohol, pork and the rest, which of course is most regrettable. Anyway, so long as your intentions are good, and the restaurant proprietors are understanding, courteous and respectful, then you should not starve yourself unnecessarily. Just employ your common sense, and all will be well. In Sha'a Allah Ta'aala.

Varun
17th June 2013, 00:16
Just eat whatever you like, wherever and whenever - too many hurdles listed in the OP.

SpiritOf1903
17th June 2013, 00:39
If you are to go by the standard Kosher principle then most definitely not.

Buy your own vegetiabes and cook at home. Just buy fish and make dishes with that to make up the protein; the best form of intake anyway.

I find it intriguing how many people eat at mainsrtream takeaways such as McDs, KFC. Et al without qualm. Albeit the pork is probably horse and bone anyway.

Supporter of Pak legends
17th June 2013, 02:21
Salam All
I have one query that The city i am living in has few indian restaurants but no pakistani restaurants.
There are two issues
1- The chef is hindu guy ( I have heard that it is not permissible to eat food cooked by person other than muslims or who are "Ahel kitab"(Chiristians/Jews) and hindu's doesnt fall in this category.
2- They say the meat (Chicken/ cow meat is halal) but they also serve bacon(Pig) food.So is it permissible to eat from a place as they must be using the same crockery for bacon preparing and serving as like halal meat etc.I mean maybe they are not soo careful and cutting bacon and without washing that knife or plate where bacon was put they use it for halal food.

Kindly help me if any one has any islamic research or reference with regards to my situation.
JazakALLAH khair.

Note: Apology to all Non muslim members of this forum if anything which i wrote hurt their feelings.As islam teaches us to be kind and friendly towards every human.

I completely understand your plight here.

In school, there is a deli bar where fresh sandwiches, salads and jacket potatoes are made and prepared. I used to buy the sandwiches until I noticed that they were using the same utensils and chopping board to cut ham, bacon and beef as the one to cut bread and jacket potatoes. I requested to them a few times to use different utensils or at least wash them. The person who was preparing food looked quite bewildered by my request, as if she didn't what the reasons were behind my needs. But, she completed the task. I requested this quite a few times. However, one time I went she seemed quite annoyed with my request and I think she ignored it, and if I remember correctly I just threw the sandwich in the bin. This was back in Year 9. I thought of approaching one of the principles with my problem but I thought what is the point of hassling them - I'd be better off just eating something else and instead I began bringing sandwiches in from home which tasted much better.

Therefore bhai, my advice to you would be, if you feel uncomfortable or have suspicions of them using the same utensils for bacon as they do for halal food, simply don't eat from there. If you don't eat from there, what bad can occur? You can purchase food from elsewhere. But if you do eat from there, and your suspicions are correct that they aren't preparing food in the correct manner, then this would be sinful as you would eat it almost knowingly when you could've simply avoided it.

Jazakallah khair.

Supporter of Pak legends
17th June 2013, 02:23
By the way, are Hindus even allowed to eat pork? I thought the majority of them were vegetarian.

DeadlyVenom
17th June 2013, 02:29
Can someone go into detail about the logic behind same utensils etc. Its a rule I obey but want to know the reasons behind it.

AFM
17th June 2013, 02:32
I completely understand your plight here.

In school, there is a deli bar where fresh sandwiches, salads and jacket potatoes are made and prepared. I used to buy the sandwiches until I noticed that they were using the same utensils and chopping board to cut ham, bacon and beef as the one to cut bread and jacket potatoes. I requested to them a few times to use different utensils or at least wash them. The person who was preparing food looked quite bewildered by my request, as if she didn't what the reasons were behind my needs. But, she completed the task. I requested this quite a few times. However, one time I went she seemed quite annoyed with my request and I think she ignored it, and if I remember correctly I just threw the sandwich in the bin. This was back in Year 9. I thought of approaching one of the principles with my problem but I thought what is the point of hassling them - I'd be better off just eating something else and instead I began bringing sandwiches in from home which tasted much better.

Therefore bhai, my advice to you would be, if you feel uncomfortable or have suspicions of them using the same utensils for bacon as they do for halal food, simply don't eat from there. If you don't eat from there, what bad can occur? You can purchase food from elsewhere. But if you do eat from there, and your suspicions are correct that they aren't preparing food in the correct manner, then this would be sinful as you would eat it almost knowingly when you could've simply avoided it.

Jazakallah khair.

Good advice. I would recommend the same brother. My knowledge of Islam is very basic and limited, but I think if there is doubt, then it is better to avoid. I live in a country where it is very difficult to acquire halal meat. When I moved, I found it quite difficult, but when there is a will, there is a way.

I learned how to cook by over the phone instructions from my mom. There are very good, tasty vegetable dishes that you can prepare easily - pilau rice with potatoes and peas; daal with boiled rice; aloo bujiyaan, sometimes with eggs for protein. You can also eat fish from time to time for protein - cod and tuna are very easy to acquire.

Cooking is a very easy task. After cooking about 5 meals, it becomes second nature.

Indiafan
17th June 2013, 02:45
When in doubt avoid. You will also get extra blessings for avoiding the temptation. But also, as Jadz ji said, if there is no other option, it might be ok to eat their under certain conditions

Supporter of Pak legends
17th June 2013, 02:56
When in doubt avoid. You will also get extra blessings for avoiding the temptation. But also, as Jadz ji said, if there is no other option, it might be ok to eat their under certain conditions

Good, helpful advice. If I offer my opinions, I would say that it wouldn't be acceptable to eat from a place which used the same utensils to prepare bacon as the ones to prepare halal food because you would have suspicions in the first place and therefore you would be eating the haram food knowingly.

Supporter of Pak legends
17th June 2013, 02:57
Good advice. I would recommend the same brother. My knowledge of Islam is very basic and limited, but I think if there is doubt, then it is better to avoid. I live in a country where it is very difficult to acquire halal meat. When I moved, I found it quite difficult, but when there is a will, there is a way.

I learned how to cook by over the phone instructions from my mom. There are very good, tasty vegetable dishes that you can prepare easily - pilau rice with potatoes and peas; daal with boiled rice; aloo bujiyaan, sometimes with eggs for protein. You can also eat fish from time to time for protein - cod and tuna are very easy to acquire.

Cooking is a very easy task. After cooking about 5 meals, it becomes second nature.

By the way, which country do you live in?

Supporter of Pak legends
17th June 2013, 03:07
Can someone go into detail about the logic behind same utensils etc. Its a rule I obey but want to know the reasons behind it.

I'm not too well-informed on the issue but I would like to offer my logic behind it. Because the pig is perceived as being a dirty animal and is haram, then it touching something, in my opinion, would make that thing haram until it was washed.

AFM
17th June 2013, 03:10
By the way, which country do you live in?

I don like revealing personal information online, but I dont mind divulging its somewhere in Eastern Europe :)

Supporter of Pak legends
17th June 2013, 03:17
I don like revealing personal information online, but I dont mind divulging its somewhere in Eastern Europe :)

That's perfectly acceptable - why, do you have a dodgy history? ;-)

Eastern Europe, hmmm...so it's either Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Poland, Bulgaria, Hungary, Belarus, Ukraine, Macedonia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Moldova, Serbia, Romania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Kosovo, Croatia or Austria and any more I've forgotten off the top of my head.

Pak_legend
17th June 2013, 03:27
No, i believe it is not permissible. If they use the same cutlery, units and equipment to prepare the food then it is not allowed. Avoid these places where they cook halal meat and haraam meat unless they prepare them with different equipment and cook them in different equipment/oils otherwise it will be cross-contaminated.

This is my advice

Pak_legend
17th June 2013, 03:31

It is the matter of cross contamination. If i am a chef preparing a meal and a cut up some pork and with that same knife i prepare a vegetarian meal i have just got some of the pork onto the vegetarian meal. It is not just an issue for muslims 'Halal and Haraam' it is also an issue with vegetarians.

Pak-Legend
17th June 2013, 03:42
1. How can you be certain that cross-contamination won't occur?

2. Do you think a restaurant that claims to be halal but is proudly serving pork and/or alcohol is taking its halal customers seriously?

3. Some restaurants claim to be halal but refuse to show their "Halal certificates", and some owners get angry/annoyed when you request them. Avoid these places, as they are not working in the best interest of their halal customers.

As a result of the above, I only eat at 100% halal or vegetarian-only restaurants.

FusedBulb
17th June 2013, 04:02

yeah ,,, look at reply # 5

Pak_legend
17th June 2013, 04:07
1. How can you be certain that cross-contamination won't occur?

2. Do you think a restaurant that claims to be halal but is proudly serving pork and/or alcohol is taking its halal customers seriously?

3. Some restaurants claim to be halal but refuse to show their "Halal certificates", and some owners get angry/annoyed when you request them. Avoid these places, as they are not working in the best interest of their halal customers.

As a result of the above, I only eat at 100% halal or vegetarian-only restaurants.

:))) I was looking at this post thinking 'When did i type this?!' :)))

Supporter of Pak legends
17th June 2013, 04:12
:))) I was looking at this post thinking 'When did i type this?!' :)))

:)) I was thinking why have you replied to your own post?

baalti
17th June 2013, 04:14
i avoid places that sell alcohol/beer etc... other than that, if they sell halal, i will eat (making sure they dont serve bacon etc in any capacity)... if they sell other chicken or beef items it dont disturb me... to each his own, everyone is old enough to know the difference between good and bad, no one is that naive, so no need preaching needlessly...

Pak_legend
17th June 2013, 04:16
:)) I was thinking why have you replied to your own post?

He should copy my avatar too. We could cause havoc! I'm the original :) made my account a few weeks before

Khaleefa
17th June 2013, 06:34
You should not trust their word if they sell alcohol.

Varun
17th June 2013, 16:28
By the way, are Hindus even allowed to eat pork? I thought the majority of them were vegetarian.

Dont' care what you're 'allowed' or 'not allowed'. Just much whatever you like.

*nom nom nom*