PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Actors

leatherface58
10th October 2013, 22:05
There is a thread about overrated actors. I wanted to start a thread for those poor sods who give awesome performances in movies but are still not talked about.

Some of my favourite actors who are really underrated-

John Cusack (Being John Malkovich, Con Air, 1408, High Fidelity)

William Fichtner (One of those actors who comes in a movie for just one scene and makes the movie fun. Armageddon, Prison Break, The Dark Knight, Black Hawk Down, Crash)

Steve Buscemi (Fargo, Con Air, Desperado, Reservoir Dogs, Boardwalk Empire)

William H. Macy (Fargo, Pleasantville, Magnolia, Boogie Nights)

Bill Murray (Lost in Translation, Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, Groundhog Day, a fabulous cameo in Zombieland)

There are several other such actors(mostly character actors) who remain under the radar but do solid work. Who are your favourites?

mithun_minhas
10th October 2013, 22:08
Sean Penn ( I am Sam)

Liam Neeson ( Taken)

PakistanKnight
10th October 2013, 22:13
Salman Butt. Acted very well on the field,never got any credit :D :P

velu
10th October 2013, 22:19
Michael Madsen .. Mr.blonde torturing the innocent police in reservoir dog is a testimony ..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

waqar goraya
10th October 2013, 23:16
He was really scary in leon and True Romance , but completely opposite with his role in The Dark Knight.

coca-cola
10th October 2013, 23:34
Ryan Gosling - Lars and the Real Girl and Half Nelson were both brilliantly done - miles ahead of reynolds, franco, etc

amax
10th October 2013, 23:39
Geoffery Rush: on pure acting abilities one of the best of past 40 years, I think he is not celebrated like other top echelon actors, as he is not an American and lacks a genuine ATG movie.

Harvey Keitel: played some memorable characters.

Gary Oldman

Steve Buscumi: great performances in some peculiar roles.

Micheal Madsen: Reservoir Dogs; Brutal.

TM Riddle
11th October 2013, 01:06
Alan Rickman

LA Guy
11th October 2013, 02:08
John Cazal as Fredo in God Father 1 and 2 and in dog day afternoon with Pacino
He got over shadowed by Brando, Pacino and De Nero

amax
11th October 2013, 02:22
John Cazal as Fredo in God Father 1 and 2 and in dog day afternoon with Pacino
He got over shadowed by Brando, Pacino and De Nero

+1 good one, In addition to The Godfather(I and II) and Dog day afternoon, was also very solid in deer hunter. Performed subdued/depressed roles to perfection.

James
11th October 2013, 02:27
Are some of the names in this thread really underrated? Most of us who know our films already know how good Buscemi, Macy, Penn and Oldman are for example.

James
11th October 2013, 02:30
Jim Carrey. A lot of hate out there, but this is my opinion. Good in Eternal Sunshine (though through no fault of his own he is overshadowed by Winslet and Dunst) and as Truman he is just fabulous.

LA Guy
11th October 2013, 02:52
+1 good one, In addition to The Godfather(I and II) and Dog day afternoon, was also solid in deer hunter. Performed subdued/depressed roles to perfection.

In my opinion one of the finest actors of his time
He had a short 6 years film career and acted in 5 films only, born August 1935 and died March 1978 (only 47 years old)
All his 5 films were nominated for best films at the Oscars
God Father 1 was his first film followed by conversation another excellent fim by Coppola, God father 2, Dog day afternoon and Deer Hunter. He died of lung cancer before Deer Hunter was released.
A true actor

Mamoon
11th October 2013, 03:04
Gary Oldman - most versatile actor of all time.

Shame that the name on lips of every teen is of the talent-less gasbag Brad Pitt.

Alan Rickman - Dat voice :akhtar

I understand many people hate Harry Potter and consider it childish, but Alan Rickman deserves an Oscar for his portrayal of Severus Snape. Probably the best cast character in history. Impeccable performance.

James
11th October 2013, 03:07
Alan Rickman deserves an Oscar for his portrayal of Severus Snape. Probably the best cast character in history.

The emperor of exaggeration strikes again...dearie dear :boycott

Mamoon
11th October 2013, 03:07
James Franco too.

Mamoon
11th October 2013, 03:09
diCaprio deserves an Oscar as well.

majiz
11th October 2013, 05:08
Sean Penn ( I am Sam)

Liam Neeson ( Taken)

wow. i was struggling to recall many overrated actors for the other thread, i feel this thread may help with that.

kamz
11th October 2013, 05:17
people highlighting gary oldman as underrated should see the way he played sid vicious in sid and nancy

the guy is a heavyweight and one of the best actors I have seen.

James
11th October 2013, 10:38
wow. i was struggling to recall many overrated actors for the other thread, i feel this thread may help with that.

Neeson is brilliant in Schindler's List.

James
11th October 2013, 10:54
Brad Pitt is stellar in a number of films. I find him to sometimes be underrated as an actor.

Varun
11th October 2013, 10:56
Quentin Tarantino, anyone?

TM Riddle
11th October 2013, 13:45

Shame that the name on lips of every teen is of the talent-less gasbag Brad Pitt.

I understand many people hate Harry Potter and consider it childish, but Alan Rickman deserves an Oscar for his portrayal of Severus Snape. Probably the best cast character in history. Impeccable performance.

Amen to that.
Edit- I feel sorry for those who hate hp.

Palti_hit
11th October 2013, 14:53
Jim Carrey is underrated...

waqar goraya
11th October 2013, 15:06
Jim Carrey is fabulous in The Truman Show.

Gary Oldman has not won an Oscar , so he is under rated to my understanding. And secondly he has not performed as much in bigger films in bigger roles , considering how big the actor is actually...

finalfantasy7
11th October 2013, 15:12
Forest Whitaker - happy for the guy who's aint typecast as a cop no more

waqar goraya
11th October 2013, 15:16
Hugo Weaving was amazing in V for vendetta and The Matrix.

Saqs
11th October 2013, 15:29
Don Cheadle
Bill Murray
Matthew Mcconaughey
James Gandolfini

Have not seen a weak performance from these yet

Saqs
11th October 2013, 15:29
Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love was surprisingly good.

Saqs
11th October 2013, 15:31
Brad Pitt is stellar in a number of films. I find him to sometimes be underrated as an actor.

Got the same issue as Jolie. Eastwood said her beauty actually works against her at times because people under appreciate her acting ability.

Saqs
11th October 2013, 15:32

So first you say Pitt is talentless and then say Snape is the best character in history.

Pretty sure this is a bannable offense.

Saqs
11th October 2013, 15:33
Nana Patikar
Naseeruddin
Christian Bale

Saqs
11th October 2013, 15:34
Within film geek circles Spacey is a god but outside that he is very underappreciated.

TM Riddle
11th October 2013, 18:28
Nana Patikar
Naseeruddin
Christian Bale

None of these guys are underrated .

majiz
11th October 2013, 19:14
i'm gonna go ahead and say robert pattinson.

cosmopolis is really good

leatherface58
11th October 2013, 21:24
Tim Roth.

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Rob Roy, Lie to Me. His scene in Reservoir Dogs where he has been shot and is squirming in the backseat of a car is a horrific scene acted with utter brilliance. It made me extremely uncomfortable. One of the greatest pieces of acting ever.

in_cutter
11th October 2013, 22:17
William H Macey (Fargo), Steve Bescemi. I don't think Brad Pitt is appreciated as much as he should be.

coca-cola
11th October 2013, 23:02
Adam Sandler is also really good in that movie with Don Cheadle, forget the name...

James
11th October 2013, 23:55
Pitt is a wonderfully tortured and naive young soul in Seven. And he almost steals Fight Club off the sardonic and faintly hilarious Norton. Twelve Monkeys is also worth a look for a loveable schizophrenic turn. Bradley is a very good actor.

Mamoon
12th October 2013, 00:10
Overrated doesn't mean you are bad. It simply means you are not as good as considered.

Brad has had some outstanding movies, but he wouldn't be who he is now without his good looks. There are far better actors out there who are less celebrated.

Mamoon
12th October 2013, 00:13
So first you say Pitt is talentless and then say Snape is the best character in history.

Pretty sure this is a bannable offense.

I didn't call Snape the best character in history.

I called him the "best cast character". He may have his equals, but what Rickman did with Snape simply cannot be topped.

He didn't play Snape, he was Snape.

Ledger did the same with the Joker. Its virtually impossible for anyone to top joker in a Batman reboot in the future and similarly, I seriously doubt if anyone can pull Snape off like Rickman.

James
12th October 2013, 00:27
Overrated doesn't mean you are bad. It simply means you are not as good as considered.

Brad has had some outstanding movies, but he wouldn't be who he is now without his good looks. There are far better actors out there who are less celebrated.

Not really 'far better'. 'Better' perhaps. Brad Pitt is a very accomplished actor. He can act as the star, and star as an actor.

NB. I think I've decided. Your posts in this thread. Everything is insanely strung. You know, your opinions are fine. It's just your rhetoric. You are incapable of calm expression.

This is when I can see that you are an artist. You exaggerate and accentuate pretty much everything. I think it's fantastic and have no problem with it, but this is why many people (understandably) disagree with you.

I understand now. ;-)

Mamoon
12th October 2013, 00:31
Haha, okay. I would like to work on that.

I don't like agitating people :)

Saqs
12th October 2013, 01:28
I didn't call Snape the best character in history.

I called him the "best cast character". He may have his equals, but what Rickman did with Snape simply cannot be topped.

He didn't play Snape, he was Snape.

Ledger did the same with the Joker. Its virtually impossible for anyone to top joker in a Batman reboot in the future and similarly, I seriously doubt if anyone can pull Snape off like Rickman.

Ok sorry didn't read best cast character. Your call. I would disagree but your call.

What Ledger did with the Joker, Nicholson also did but decades before. Who's to say which was the better performance? Both were equally as menacing.

Saqs
12th October 2013, 01:29
None of these guys are underrated .

Probably true for Bale and Naseeruddin but Patikar never gets his full due.

Saqs
12th October 2013, 01:30
Adam Sandler is also really good in that movie with Don Cheadle, forget the name...

Reign over me. Yeap.

Saqs
12th October 2013, 23:14
I feel Robin Williams doesn't get the accolades he should.

James
12th October 2013, 23:16
One Hour Photo is a good'un.

James
12th October 2013, 23:17
Ok sorry didn't read best cast character. Your call. I would disagree but your call.

What Ledger did with the Joker, Nicholson also did but decades before. Who's to say which was the better performance? Both were equally as menacing.

Ledger easily IMO. In that role. His darkly hilarious wind-up merchantry and riveting amorality are profound.

Nicholson is a great actor though.

Space Cat
12th October 2013, 23:25
Don Cheadle
Bill Murray
Matthew Mcconaughey
James Gandolfini

Have not seen a weak performance from these yet

Really?

Matt has impressed me in a couple of films but most of the time hes just playing himself.

leatherface58
12th October 2013, 23:25
Kurt Russell for his great work on John Carpenter classics such as Escape from New York, Elvis, Big Trouble in little China and The Thing. He was also very funny in a little known but superb comedy called Sky High. And who can forget Tango and Cash?

Space Cat
12th October 2013, 23:32
Brendan Gleeson.

Space Cat
12th October 2013, 23:33
Kurt Russell for his great work on John Carpenter classics such as Escape from New York, Elvis, Big Trouble in little China and The Thing. He was also very funny in a little known but superb comedy called Sky High. And who can forget Tango and Cash?

Kurt Russell is a boss.

TM Riddle
12th October 2013, 23:33
Kel Penn

James
12th October 2013, 23:34
Bruce Willis is marginally underrated as an actor. Tarantino and Shyamalan brought out his abilities very well.

TM Riddle
12th October 2013, 23:34
Brendan Gleeson.

loved him as mad eye moody

Space Cat
12th October 2013, 23:35
Bruce Willis is marginally underrated as an actor. Tarantino and Shyamalan brought out his abilities very well.

Yea Bruce can act if he wants too. He seems to just phone it in these days.

James
12th October 2013, 23:41
Yea Bruce can act if he wants too. He seems to just phone it in these days.

It's his demeanour too. Not entirely his fault. Often looks half-asleep on screen. Shyamalan in particular knew that, so cast him accordingly (first as a lonely dead guy then as a confused superhero) and utilised him brilliantly.

Saqs
13th October 2013, 00:38
One Hour Photo is a good'un.

Yeap Yeap. And he was in the running for The Joker. Imagine what he'd have done with that role. Actually a good thing he didn't get the nod cuz then the world would not have witnessed what we did.

Saqs
13th October 2013, 00:38
Really?

Matt has impressed me in a couple of films but most of the time hes just playing himself.

Perhaps I've only seen his good performances then.

Saqs
13th October 2013, 00:39
Christopher Walken

Saqs
13th October 2013, 00:40
Jeremy Irons

James
13th October 2013, 00:45
Walken in The Deer Hunter is a sickener. Deservedly got the Oscar.

De Niro's best acting work too IMHO. Barring Taxi Driver?

lilFlip
13th October 2013, 00:45
Some names in this thread are unknown to me :D

TM Riddle
13th October 2013, 01:04
Michael facebender

Mamoon
13th October 2013, 01:47

You are right. Nicholson did a great job but Ledger took it a level above.

He absolutely nailed it.

Red Devil
13th October 2013, 11:51
Bill Murray
Samuel Jackson
Harvey Keitel
Gene Hackman

Red Devil
13th October 2013, 11:52
Gene Hackman was a fantastic actor, don't know what the hell happened to him seems to have disappeared somewhere.

TM Riddle
13th October 2013, 11:53
KK Menon

TM Riddle
13th October 2013, 11:54
Gene Hackman was a fantastic actor, don't know what the hell happened to him seems to have disappeared somewhere.

Professor X?

chaiwala
13th October 2013, 12:19
Kevin Spacey.

EDIT:

Also, Tom Hardy

Saqs
13th October 2013, 12:58
Walken in The Deer Hunter is a sickener. Deservedly got the Oscar.

De Niro's best acting work too IMHO. Barring Taxi Driver?

Taxi Driver takes it quite easily imo

Saqs
13th October 2013, 13:31
Kevin Spacey.

EDIT:

Also, Tom Hardy

Yeap. Hardy in that western flick with Shia was spot on. So much swagger.

James
13th October 2013, 13:35
Hardy comprehensively saves The Dark Knight Rises from being a frivolous anticlimax.

FasihHeadtickler
13th October 2013, 14:37
Devon Sawa

TM Riddle
13th October 2013, 14:57
Joseph Gordon levitt

Space Cat
13th October 2013, 16:41
Perhaps I've only seen his good performances then.

Well i wouldn't blame you for avoiding some of the rom-coms hes done.

DeadlyVenom
13th October 2013, 16:51
John Witherspoon, plays the same role in every movie, with the same dialogue and same jokes in them all yet manages to pull it off.

leatherface58
13th October 2013, 16:55

Retired. He writes books now.

Saqs
13th October 2013, 23:45
Well i wouldn't blame you for avoiding some of the rom-coms hes done.

I was talking about the romcoms actually.

Saqs
13th October 2013, 23:46
If Ledger hadn't done the Joker everyone would still have thought he's just a pretty face.

Space Cat
14th October 2013, 01:14
I was talking about the romcoms actually.

Well they were awful money spinners and only just the past 3 years or so has he been back in serious roles and showing the talent he burst onto the scene with.

Saqs
14th October 2013, 01:33
Well they were awful money spinners and only just the past 3 years or so has he been back in serious roles and showing the talent he burst onto the scene with.

Yeah I haven't seen any of them tbh

James
14th October 2013, 01:47
If Ledger hadn't done the Joker everyone would still have thought he's just a pretty face.

If my uncle hadn't been born with testes then...etc.

Saqs
14th October 2013, 02:33
If my uncle hadn't been born with testes then...etc.

Lol what I mean is there are certain actors out there that people tend to downplay their skill until it really comes screaming out.

I think Hardy is one similar case where people just think he's in the business because he's this good looking marketable face.

leatherface58
14th October 2013, 10:39
Lol what I mean is there are certain actors out there that people tend to downplay their skill until it really comes screaming out.

I think Hardy is one similar case where people just think he's in the business because he's this good looking marketable face.

Dude was a beast in tdkr. We didn't even see his face in it except for a few seconds :danish

Saqs
14th October 2013, 16:24
Yeah but he has done romcoms before this

Space Cat
14th October 2013, 16:54
Yeah but he has done romcoms before this

Just the one. Hes just broken out though.

He might go on a 10 year stretch of stinkers like McConaughey did.