PDA

View Full Version : It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Aman
17th October 2013, 07:22
How has this show not won an Emmy?.. :facepalm:

By far the funniest and most well written show on TV.

jeetu
17th October 2013, 11:26
I love this series.

Robert
17th October 2013, 13:17
Never heard of it.

Big Mac
17th October 2013, 16:11
Never heard of it.

It's pretty amazing

Gotham Cronie
17th October 2013, 20:29
Used to be a lot funnier. The last few seasons fell off, although the current one has potential.

The Dark Corner
17th October 2013, 20:43
First few seasons were truly hilarious.

Saqs
17th October 2013, 20:46
Amazing show. But can only watch in small doses. Can't sit through a marathon. It gets too loud lol

Nostalgic
17th October 2013, 22:41
I think it's on Netflix. If its so highly recommended I should start watching it.

Anfield
17th October 2013, 22:43
Too corny.

Gotham Cronie
21st October 2013, 23:17
After being lame for a couple of seasons, this season has been excellent.

leatherface58
21st October 2013, 23:19
Seen a couple of episodes. It's funny though filled with really despicable scummy characters especially Dennis and Dee.

Nostalgic
22nd October 2013, 08:48
I watched the first few episodes on Netflix last night. Found it a tad crude and over the top.

Not sure now whether to invest my precious evenings to making it to the latter seasons. Is there a particular season I should start watching it from? Will I lose much in way of references to previous seasons or back story?

Nostalgic
22nd October 2013, 08:51
A regrettable side effect was it making me homesick (if one can be homesick for one's adopted home) for Pennsylvania, where I spent seven glorious years before being forced to move to miserable Midwestern Minnesota :(

saadibaba
22nd October 2013, 09:01
Feel your pain. I was in Buffalo,NY for two years, couldn't wait to get out.

The Dark Corner
22nd October 2013, 09:24
I watched the first few episodes on Netflix last night. Found it a tad crude and over the top.

Not sure now whether to invest my precious evenings to making it to the latter seasons. Is there a particular season I should start watching it from? Will I lose much in way of references to previous seasons or back story?

This I can agree with. It often goes over the top. However, there are some laughs.

Nostalgic
22nd October 2013, 09:50
Feel your pain. I was in Buffalo,NY for two years, couldn't wait to get out.

Right now Buffalo doesn't seem too bad, to me that is. Buffalo wouldn't be too far from the Catskills or the Adirondacks. The Midwest on the other hand is uniformly, disgustingly flat. There's a gaping hole on the horizon where the Ridge and Valley Appalachians used to be, back in Central Pennsylvania :(

My parents live in Long Island, NY. Upstate NY would be a far better proposition for me compared to MN.

Of course, your mileage may vary, as the Yanks are wont to say ;)

saadibaba
22nd October 2013, 10:01
I had fun in Buffalo. Despite the weather and all, the cultural scene is pretty good. Lots of good restaurants and parks. I guess knowing that I'm there for only two years helped too.

Whenever I think of Minnesota, that movie Fargo comes to mind. But I hear it's beautiful in the summer, with lots of lakes and natural beauty.

Nostalgic
22nd October 2013, 10:19
I had fun in Buffalo. Despite the weather and all, the cultural scene is pretty good. Lots of good restaurants and parks. I guess knowing that I'm there for only two years helped too.

Whenever I think of Minnesota, that movie Fargo comes to mind. But I hear it's beautiful in the summer, with lots of lakes and natural beauty.

Fargo! I watched it for the first time just the other day. The thick accent in the film is probably more prevalent north of Minneapolis-St.Paul, but there are certain pronunciations one can't help notice.

For instance, they say "baig" (as in Obaidullah Baig) instead of bag. At the Target, right after I had moved here, the lady asked me "Do you want a baig for it?" She was asking if I wanted a bag of course, but what I heard was "Do you want to beg for it?" I almost blurted out that I don't beg and I can pay, thankyouverymuch.

They say "sucker" instead of "lollipop." After my kids' visit to the hairdresser, the lady said "do you want a sucker?" I looked around and almost said "Suck who?"

There's the soda/pop/coke divide too. The Midwest is pop country. I ask for sodas and they look at each other and know immediately that I'm a recent arrival.

And these Scandinavians are abnormally tall. I'm 6', and I feel dwarfed. I've never really encountered women taller than me, until I moved here.

All things considered, the Twin Cities are very nice: clean, low cost of living, educated populace, excellent art and music scene, great schools. It's just wrong for me, because of the distance from the folks.

By the way, where do you live these days?

saadibaba
22nd October 2013, 10:32
"Baig" haha... That's funny!

I'm in Nashville, TN. It's a neat little city. Has a friendly vibe to it. Rest of the country probably just think of it as Country Music Mecca but it's got a lot to offer, plus it's growing.

Nostalgic
22nd October 2013, 10:47
A friend of mine works at Siemens at Nashville. He loves it. And I've been forced to watch enough HGTV to know that the cost of living is astonishingly low for what is supposed to be a great, up-and-coming city.

saadibaba
22nd October 2013, 10:55
My criteria of how good a city is esp. in terms of arts, culture, food and nightlife has become the number of gays living there. Somehow they always end up living in the most hippest and coolest cities. So before moving to Nashville, a few times when I was there and visited a mall or grocery store, it was comforting to see their presence around in good numbers.

Robbie
22nd October 2013, 11:22
One of the best Comedy show running currently along with Modern Family.

My rating for Comedy show running currently : -

1)Modern Family
2)It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
3)New Girl
4)Arrested Development
5)2 Broke Girls

saadibaba
22nd October 2013, 11:47
Actually if you have Netflix, I would highly recommend Portlandia. Fred Armisen from SNL and Carrie Brownstein make up the cast. Short clips or vignettes commenting on the absurdity of modern day über cool hippie lifestyle, though based in Portland can be related to any big cosmopolitan city. The neurosis and high self regard of the dwellers of these habitats is presented with masterful quirkiness and delivery.

Big Mac
22nd October 2013, 19:55

It pretty much stays the same tbh, try and stick with it into the second season if you can. None of the characters are meant to be sympathetic and you're not meant to relate to them in any way. They're all pieces of crap (Except Charlie, he's just mental) so you don't feel guilty about laughing at all the bad stuff that happens to them. If that isn't your cup of tea then whatever, there's always Parks and Recreation and Ron Swanson's glorious moustache

Nostalgic
22nd October 2013, 20:32
I've watched all of Parks and Recreation. I find Leslie Knope irresistible.

Big Mac
24th October 2013, 02:00
I might have a thing for April, doesn't take crap from anyone :11: Councilman Jamm suddenly turned into an awesome character by the end of season 5 as well, nobody could have seen that coming.