PDA

View Full Version : Eleven family members left paralysed after eating world's deadliest PUFFERFISH



Bhaag Viru Bhaag
25th October 2014, 03:02
The Souza family are thought to have fried the fish and served it up at a big gathering, not knowing that the poisonous pufferfish was dangerous.

Yet within hours, all of the relatives, including four toddlers, were left feeling the potentially fatal effects.

The pufferfish contains a toxin 1,200 times more lethal than cyanide and a drop of the venom can kill an average human within 24 hours.

Its poison slows the body's nervous system down and stops the person from breathing, while the victim remains fully conscious.

In this case, the victims began to vomit violently within seconds of swallowing their first bite.

Then most of them became totally paralysed, first losing feelings in their limbs and face.

The 11 family members were so badly affected that they could not exit the home to get to a car, which was waiting to take them to hospital.

Cristiane Souza, who did not eat the fish, said the whole ordeal was "terrifying".

“We're praying for a miracle.”

Her husband Jose Augusto, 41, had eaten the meal and she said he was the first to get the shocking symptoms.

She told Brazil's RJ TV: "The fish looked so tasty so we invited the whole family. We fried it and everyone tucked in.

"My husband was the first to say he couldn't feel his tongue, then his face, and then his arms. Then his legs went dead and he couldn't stand up any more. It was terrifying.

"My brother-in-law was the same. He didn't even make it out the door. We had to carry them out and rush them to hospital in a car."

There is no known antidote to survive venom from a pufferfish and the delicacy is very rarely eaten.

Chefs in Japan, where it is becoming a popular fish, have to prepare to two years to serve it to customers safely.

Grandmother Maria do Carmo said: "They're all in a critical condition.

"We put the fish on the table in the yard outside and everyone dived in. They were all saying how delicious it was. I didn't eat it because I was waiting until everyone had tried it.

"We're praying for a miracle."

http://images.dailystar-uk.co.uk/dynamic/1/photos/249000/620x/544a6cbab80fc_200404336001.jpg

Source http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/406749/Eleven-family-members-left-paralysed-after-eating-world-s-deadliest-PUFFERFISH

That's scary. :murali

mithun_minhas
25th October 2014, 03:09
No Words.

Fallen King
25th October 2014, 03:13
Collared Kingfisher eats pufferfish

Writes Kiah, “This morning at Byram Penang, I saw a Collared Kingfisher ate a puffer fish. I thought that puffer fish is very poisonous but the kingfisher was alive and ok. Has the Collared Kingfisher an immune system against the toxin? Or not all puffers are poisonous?”

To read more and check out pictures in this source;

http://www.besgroup.org/2009/11/08/collared-kingfisher-eats-pufferfish/

Fallen King
25th October 2014, 03:15
Puffer fish is very interesting fish. Something you don't play with. :murali


It has been reported that the Green-spotted Puffer, a popular aquarium fish, uses the toxin as a defense mechanism against other predatory fish, stunning those that bite it

Bhaag Viru Bhaag
25th October 2014, 03:28
Collared Kingfisher eats pufferfish

Writes Kiah, “This morning at Byram Penang, I saw a Collared Kingfisher ate a puffer fish. I thought that puffer fish is very poisonous but the kingfisher was alive and ok. Has the Collared Kingfisher an immune system against the toxin? Or not all puffers are poisonous?”

To read more and check out pictures in this source;

http://www.besgroup.org/2009/11/08/collared-kingfisher-eats-pufferfish/

No. They have Vijay Mallaya on their backs.

Thivagar
25th October 2014, 03:32
WOW. I always wanted to poke Pufferfish when it is inflated

ahmedzee
25th October 2014, 03:35
Collared Kingfisher eats pufferfish

Writes Kiah, “This morning at Byram Penang, I saw a Collared Kingfisher ate a puffer fish. I thought that puffer fish is very poisonous but the kingfisher was alive and ok. Has the Collared Kingfisher an immune system against the toxin? Or not all puffers are poisonous?”

To read more and check out pictures in this source;

http://www.besgroup.org/2009/11/08/collared-kingfisher-eats-pufferfish/

That looked like a very very small puffer fish...is it that the smaller ones are not as poisonous??