PDA

View Full Version : Why we love Pakistan

dzor
20th January 2015, 18:25
I'll be honest, when I first joined this forum, I wasn't a big fan of Pakistan at all, I used to think it was full of weirdos, taliban members and a generally crap country, if I can be frank. So I just avoided the topic of my ethnicty whenever anyone asked, I used to be ashamed, because all i ever saw on the news was the bad side of Pakistan, only being to Pakistan once also hindered my sight.

But that was when I started looking into the country more, one of my favourite sports is football, yes I know Pakistan doesn't have a football team which is good, but we still got a team, and one of the things the team has is many different ethnicities from Pakistan, from Punjabi to Pashtun, to Baloch etc, our football is made up of people of different backgrounds, yet we're all Pakistani, it made me realise in a weird way, that yes I have got a British way of thinking and mentality, but I can never forget my heritage I guess, which is what I was trying to do from the start.

Anyways here's a list of things I love about Pakistan

-The history, old and new, from the anciet civilazation to now.
-People, more relaxed there?? Atleast from what I can gather, when there is no worry about food people have a good time
-Different ethnicities and cultural groups, according to a survey Pakistan is one of the least racist places on earth.
-Food (you can say what you want about the looks, but ain't no one gonna wanna deny a nice Biryani)

dzor
20th January 2015, 18:26
Of course there is a lot of issues which do bring Pakistan down quiet a lot, issues such as the government, extremism, etc, but this a thread for the positives.

raskolnikov
20th January 2015, 18:44
we love to produce whole teams that means more muslims ,more Allah O Akhbers. 20 million population for a tiny country is quite an acheievement:uakmal

Firebreaker
20th January 2015, 18:56
You can never get the same respect in any other country

AlCapone
20th January 2015, 19:35
The beautiful places, the food, the music, the achievements of our cricket, hockey team and other athletes over the past 70 years.

imranq
20th January 2015, 19:53
http://nativepakistan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Pakistani-Dishes-Preparation-of-Lassi-Buttermilk-Pakistani-Food.jpg

KeyboardWarrior
20th January 2015, 20:05
Op,
Pakistan got 3rd place in 2014 Street Child World Cup in football.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Child_World_Cup

and for more Info about Pakistan .... heres the Thread ....
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?177273-Picture-Album-of-Pakistan

saadibaba
21st January 2015, 05:18
You can never get the same respect in any other country

I do and more.

FreeBird
21st January 2015, 05:25
In short, Pakistan is a "chorron ka adda".

blinding light
21st January 2015, 06:04
I can write 100 pages on this topic and it still won't do justice to the qualities of Pakistan.

All that is required is a nuanced understanding - beyond the imagery, beyond the propaganda and beyond the hypocrisy.

FreeBird
21st January 2015, 07:02
I can write 100 pages on this topic and it still won't do justice to the qualities of Pakistan.

All that is required is a nuanced understanding - beyond the imagery, beyond the propaganda and beyond the hypocrisy.

Lakkar hazam, Pathar Hazam, sara mulk baich kar khaa gaey ye awaam ... what qualities you gonna write?

blinding light
21st January 2015, 07:11
Lakkar hazam, Pathar Hazam, sara mulk baich kar khaa gaey ye awaam ... what qualities you gonna write?

Mulk se awaam hay ya awaam se mumlikat? Awaam ne bech ker khaya ya hukmuraan ney?

It is home. This little fact in itself spawns a thousand reasons to love, cherish and protect it.

saadibaba
21st January 2015, 07:30
In short, Pakistan is a "chorron ka adda".

I though I read Churan or Chooran, you know the brown salty and spicy powder known for its digestive qualities.

Nostalgic
21st January 2015, 08:00
I though I read Churan or Chooran, you know the brown salty and spicy powder known for its digestive qualities.

I think the Hamdard people commercialized a churan tablet too: Carmina or Karmina or something. This was before Hajmola (which is an Indian import if I'm not mistaken) really took the country by storm.

Back in the days when Karmina was popular, girls named Tehmina had a ready-made nickname.

mnoman15
21st January 2015, 08:30
Urdu , poetry/literature , music (specially classical music) ....

Nostalgic
21st January 2015, 08:50
It can all be summed up in one word: Home.

Nowhere else will ever be home.

saadibaba
21st January 2015, 09:03
I think the Hamdard people commercialized a churan tablet too: Carmina or Karmina or something. This was before Hajmola (which is an Indian import if I'm not mistaken) really took the country by storm.

Back in the days when Karmina was popular, girls named Tehmina had a ready-made nickname.

I'm a big fan of Karmina. Salty tablets with a hint of pepper and some spice added for the kick, just how I like the Tehminas of the world.

Laal
21st January 2015, 09:08
I'm a big fan of Karmina. Salty tablets with a hint of pepper and some spice added for the kick, just how I like the Tehminas of the world.

Tehmina Daultana sure fits that profile.

Nostalgic
21st January 2015, 09:30

I knew a Tehmina who called herself Damn Tam.

Mamoon
21st January 2015, 10:17
Most Tehmina's also have a thing for Parveen Shakir's poetry.

Mamoon
21st January 2015, 10:21
We love Pakistan because we are Pakistanis, and grew up to love it and have tremendous emotional attachment.

Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing to love about this disaster of a country, nor something that can and should make us proud. Of course this notion is lost on most people, and they are not ready to accept that this pure sentiment, and not facts. So spare me the ghissay pittay reasons why we should love this country from an objective viewpoint.

We'd be laughing at Pakistan, if we weren't Pakistanis.

This thread will be littered by people who left Pakistan to work in a foreign and more stable economy and earn more money, who are now going to show their online patriotism and love for Pakistan by sitting in the UK, North America or Australia.

Plenty of them are there because their parents moved out, or they had no option of staying in Pakistan because of various reasons, or they are simply way too ambitious, but rest assured, you cannot question their love for Pakistan, but its only limited to online forums and social media.

mudassir84
21st January 2015, 11:03
We live in a country where you can easily and proudly break trafic rules.
People generally are happy here about daily life.
Most people own things which they have like house, car etc not like western countries where everything they have is on mortgage.
We dont throw our parents in old houses.

blinding light
21st January 2015, 11:18
We love Pakistan because we are Pakistanis, and grew up to love it and have tremendous emotional attachment.

Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing to love about this disaster of a country, nor something that can and should make us proud. Of course this notion is lost on most people, and they are not ready to accept that this pure sentiment, and not facts. So spare me the ghissay pittay reasons why we should love this country from an objective viewpoint.

This thread will be littered by people who left Pakistan to work in a foreign and more stable economy and earn more money, who are now going to show their online patriotism and love for Pakistan by sitting in the UK, North America or Australia.

Plenty of them are there because their parents moved out, or they had no option of staying in Pakistan because of various reasons, or they are simply way too ambitious, but rest assured, you cannot question their love for Pakistan, but its only limited to online forums and social media.

What messed up thinking is that?

Yes we're Pakistanis and we love Pakistan by default and there's no harm in that.

There are plenty of reasons to "objectively" hate other countries for whatever reasons as well - but have you ever seen Russians openly deny or reject their failed Communism project?

It's the love of the homeland, the kinship, ties familial and otherwise associate to an area which binds one to what is otherwise a stretch of land. Nothing more, nothing less.

Those who're ashamed of Pakistan are confused people who have absolutely no idea that there is plenty to be about your identity and heritage no matter what crap the country is going through at the moment.

In the same vein, I must add I have a special disdain for people who like to question what the country has ever given them. It should be the other way around - how have you actually contributed to bettering the country?

Watsupdoc
21st January 2015, 12:11
What I love about Pakistan: no gas, no bijlee, no petrol and the noon league :yk

Seriously though, what I love about Pakistan is that we are people that are alive. People at least in Islamabad don't mind if you pull a prank or two on them.

Then there is also amazing food, scenery, the new malls that are coming up and so on.

iHammad
21st January 2015, 12:14
I love Pakistan because I just can't imagine what my life would be like if I wasn't a Pakistani. Just love our culture, and our taur tareekay a lot

Mamoon
21st January 2015, 19:10
What messed up thinking is that?

Yes we're Pakistanis and we love Pakistan by default and there's no harm in that.

There are plenty of reasons to "objectively" hate other countries for whatever reasons as well - but have you ever seen Russians openly deny or reject their failed Communism project?

It's the love of the homeland, the kinship, ties familial and otherwise associate to an area which binds one to what is otherwise a stretch of land. Nothing more, nothing less.

Those who're ashamed of Pakistan are confused people who have absolutely no idea that there is plenty to be about your identity and heritage no matter what crap the country is going through at the moment.

In the same vein, I must add I have a special disdain for people who like to question what the country has ever given them. It should be the other way around - how have you actually contributed to bettering the country?

I also agree with the bold.

But as far as the rest is concerned, objectively speaking, what qualities does Pakistan possess that go beyond our emotional attachment? Absolutely none.

Of course we aren't ashamed because we love it, but to be honest, there are plenty of reasons to be which we don't see, because we're biased.

Greenshadow
21st January 2015, 19:17
[/b]

I also agree with the bold.

But as far as the rest is concerned, objectively speaking, what qualities does Pakistan possess that go beyond our emotional attachment? Absolutely none.

Of course we aren't ashamed because we love it, but to be honest, there are plenty of reasons to be which we don't see, because we're biased.

I guess it's more to do with Pakistan being 'home' than anything else. After spending 13 years there I'm aware of all the problems with Pakistan but I don't feel at 'home' here in the UK. Not gonna lie when I visited Karachi after 5 years last summer I was annoyed with how I could not even go out for a walk because of the fear of someone at gun point stealing my phone or something..

Na ghar ka raha, na bahar ka :(

Mamoon
21st January 2015, 19:22
I guess it's more to do with Pakistan being 'home' than anything else. After spending 13 years there I'm aware of all the problems with Pakistan but I don't feel at 'home' here in the UK. Not gonna lie when I visited Karachi after 5 years last summer I was annoyed with how I could not even go out for a walk because of the fear of someone at gun point stealing my phone or something..

Na ghar ka raha, na bahar ka :(

Well said, home at the end of the day is still home but the truth is that it is quite a pathetic home.

Cpt. Rishwat
21st January 2015, 19:28
Well said, home at the end of the day is still home but the truth is that it is quite a pathetic home.

Any place is the product of it's citizens at the end of the day, pathetic or wonderful. Brings to mind the famous Kennedy quote: think not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

Or failing that emigrate.

Mamoon
21st January 2015, 19:32
Any place is the product of it's citizens at the end of the day, pathetic or wonderful. Brings to mind the famous Kennedy quote: think not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

Or failing that emigrate.

Its more down to the product of the generations of citizens before you, this country has been ruined by our fathers, grandfathers and great grand fathers.

Now its down to us what we do with it in the future.

We can a) do something substantial b) keep whinging about it c) run away to some foreign country and delve inside the realms of online patriotism.

Cpt. Rishwat
21st January 2015, 19:34
Its more down to the product of the generations of citizens before you, this country has been ruined by our fathers, grandfathers and great grand fathers.

Now its down to us what we do with it in the future.

We can a) do something substantial b) keep whinging about it c) run away to some foreign country and delve inside the realms of online patriotism.

Would you regard yourself as a (b)?

Mamoon
21st January 2015, 19:38
Would you regard yourself as a (b)?

At the moment, yes.

C is not going to happen,

A is possible in the future.

CricketCartoons
21st January 2015, 19:40
Brings to mind the famous Kennedy quote: think not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

One of the most pathetic and disgusting comments ever by a politician. Absolving responsibility of the state and trying to shift guilt to the ordinary citizens. Citizens have a family to take care of, and as long as they are paying taxes and not committing crimes, they are fulfilling their duties. And only this should be expected from them. It is the duty of the state to take care of the welfare of its citizens and provide a safe environment for them. This quote should never be used in the context of Pakistan, where the state has only failed in executing its responsibilities.

Buffet
21st January 2015, 20:27
have you ever seen Russians openly deny or reject their failed Communism project?

Too many of those kinds are in US. I know few of them personally.

------------------

Answer of OP is pretty much obvious. If you grew up in some place then you will have attachment. It will be true for even Iraq or Afghanistan.

Cpt. Rishwat
21st January 2015, 20:37
One of the most pathetic and disgusting comments ever by a politician. Absolving responsibility of the state and trying to shift guilt to the ordinary citizens. Citizens have a family to take care of, and as long as they are paying taxes and not committing crimes, they are fulfilling their duties. And only this should be expected from them. It is the duty of the state to take care of the welfare of its citizens and provide a safe environment for them. This quote should never be used in the context of Pakistan, where the state has only failed in executing its responsibilities.

But then you could argue that it's the citizens who elect the government which forms the state. Granted in Pakistan that has not always been possible where the military has intervened frequently but even then the public has usually been supportive of the army, generally relieved to be rid of the thieving politicians.

Anyway, it is difficult to get a real gauge for the sentiment inside the country from online forums like this where most of the contributors are ex-pats living abroad.

sensible-indian-fan
21st January 2015, 20:38

Classic CricketCartoons.

CricketCartoons
21st January 2015, 20:42
Too many of those kinds are in US. I know few of them personally.

------------------

Answer of OP is pretty much obvious. If you grew up in some place then you will have attachment. It will be true for even Iraq or Afghanistan.

Yes, know two russians and both don't hide behind this fake patriotism that is being encouraged here. This thread is for Pakistanis, but as a person born in India, I don't have any special love for India (of course, no love for Pakistan either). The only place I have attachment is Bengal, but that does not translate into any patriotism towards India. Just want to have a good life wherever I am.

Abdullah
21st January 2015, 21:02

You missed out those that donate to PTI to fund the hope of NAYA Pakistan!!Lol

And there are also many many people in the West that work like dogs to send money back home which runs families in Pak

Laparwah
22nd January 2015, 03:01
There is a lot in Pakistan to celebrate only if we were good at PR skills. The landscape, culture, music, drama's, food, costumes...home of Zen Buddhism and Sikhism as well. Harappa civilisation and incredible hospitality.

shortbread
22nd January 2015, 14:15
A brilliant, realist and sober analysis by Ayesha Jalal. Its refreshing to see a commentator who is not insisting that the nation is doomed and is without a set agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3_quwziioA

Theo_14
22nd January 2015, 15:23
If you got the money then you have a wonderful life in Pakistan. Our house in blue area is 10 times better then here (UK).

I love Pakistan because the love the family has given me is priceless down there, as well as memories. I like how its different to UK. That smell after rain is something else, powerful rain. The construction of houses are beautiful. I could go all day but Pakistan is Pakistan.