PDA

View Full Version : Temple devoted to Modi set to open in India

Buffet
12th February 2015, 02:01
Temple devoted to Modi set to open in India

AHMEDABAD: A temple dedicated to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to open in his home state of Gujarat, thanks to some ultra-loyal supporters of the Hindu nationalist prime minister.

The temple, to be officially opened on Sunday in Kotharia village, includes an idol of the barrel-chested, dapper-dressed premier at which followers can make daily offerings and prayers. About 350 Modi devotees have been collecting small donations in recent years for construction of the dome-roofed temple, some 210 kilometres (130 miles) from Gujarat’s main city of Ahmedabad.

“Earlier we used to offer prayers to Bharat Mata (Mother India). But in the last few years we have been offering prayers to Modi-ji,” said Ramesh Undhad, using a Hindi honorific for respect. “We had kept a framed photograph of Modi-ji beside the statue of Mother India,” Undhad, a former local councillor and head of the project, told AFP.

A long time chief minister of Gujarat, Modi stormed to power nationally last May, riding a “Modi-wave” of popularity that saw thousands pack rallies to hear the powerful and charismatic orator. But the 64-year-old premier lost his aura of invincibility on Tuesday when his party was trounced at elections to the Delhi state assembly, his first major loss since taking charge nationally.

Followers in Kotharia village, however, are unwavering in their support. “We believe he is an incarnation of God as after he became chief minister of Gujarat things changed for the better,” Undhad said. “There was no communal violence during his tenure as chief minister. Peace and harmony has prevailed in Gujarat for over a decade.”

Undhad did not mention the religious riots in 2002 when Modi was in charge of Gujarat that claimed more than 1,000 lives, mostly those of minority Muslims. Local legislators will dedicate the temple — which cost between 400,000 rupees to 500,000 rupees ($6,400 to $8,000) to build — in a ceremony on Sunday.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/836787/temple-devoted-to-modi-set-to-open-in-india/

-----------------------

So Modi will just get added as one of the gods after 500-1000 years ?

Bewal Express
12th February 2015, 02:11
He looks like a garden gnome.

Saeed
12th February 2015, 02:19
Will they worship him or what?

Buffet
12th February 2015, 02:33
Will they worship him or what?

Prayers are offered even right now. That's what report says.

mithun_minhas
12th February 2015, 02:44
There are temples for many Film actors in India.

speed
12th February 2015, 02:47
India is the home of many false prophet's.

sensible-indian-fan
12th February 2015, 13:15
I feel like puking.

sensible-indian-fan
12th February 2015, 13:16
Followers in Kotharia village, however, are unwavering in their support. “We believe he is an incarnation of God as after he became chief minister of Gujarat things changed for the better,” Undhad said. “There was no communal violence during his tenure as chief minister. Peace and harmony has prevailed in Gujarat for over a decade.”

:facepalm:

Sick.

Uneducated fools.

Electron
12th February 2015, 13:41
People made prophets out of ordinary humans in the past, so why should they be stopped from elevating others to this status again?

This is simply a continuation of the kind of nonsense we have been witnessing from the past, nothing new.

CricketCartoons
12th February 2015, 13:42
I recall a temple of Dhoni was about to be built, but his family objected. I am sure there must be a temple on Sachin at least, and also Rajnikant. Over the top adulation and sycophancy.

Cpt. Rishwat
12th February 2015, 15:21
What is a temple anyway? It is merely a physical representation of what is in people's hearts and can there be any doubt that the people of India love and worship Modi-ji? Even the ex-pats turn his visits to foreign nations into rock concerts where they sing and clap in adulation. The temple is most fitting.

Watsupdoc
12th February 2015, 16:27
Wow... like seriously?

Dee1990
12th February 2015, 16:28
Only in India would this kinda stuff happen, what is the point in having a thriving economy when you do stupid things like this? The rest of the world is laughing on you India. :facepalm:

Cpt. Rishwat
12th February 2015, 16:34
Only in India would this kinda stuff happen, what is the point in having a thriving economy when you do stupid things like this? The rest of the world is laughing on you India. :facepalm:

Why are you bothered about the rest of the world? These are Indians in their own lands worshipping their idols as they see fit. If rest of the world doesn't like it that's their problem.

mithun_minhas
12th February 2015, 16:38

Whatever drives people's boats. If they believe Modi is God himself, then so be it.

If enough people beleieve Modi is God, then Modism will become anothe r religion in India.

Cracket
12th February 2015, 16:59
The vast majority of Indian population are still in hard poverty and lack education. That just makes them more prone to superstitions and stuff like this.

Crazy_K
12th February 2015, 17:05
And then people say free speech shouldn't be used to offend religions.
What would you do in this case?

CricketCartoons
12th February 2015, 17:08
And then people say free speech shouldn't be used to offend religions.
What would you do in this case?

free speech should not be used to offend established religions, which makes sense, as it affects a lot of people.
But any new religion or cult should always be ridiculed, because the last thing we need is the addition of yet another ISM in this conflict prone world.

IgnitedMind
12th February 2015, 17:40
This is what Modi said...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Have seen the news*about a Temple being built in my name. I was appalled. This is shocking &amp; against India&#39;s great traditions.</p>&mdash; Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/565711345547747330">February 12, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Building such Temples is *not what our culture teaches us. Personally, it made me very sad. Would urge those doing it not to do it.</p>&mdash; Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/565711528167751684">February 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If you have time &amp; resources, please devote the same towards fulfilling our dream of a Clean India.</p>&mdash; Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/565711752273608704">February 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

Crazy_K
12th February 2015, 17:44
free speech should not be used to offend established religions, which makes sense, as it affects a lot of people.
But any new religion or cult should always be ridiculed, because the last thing we need is the addition of yet another ISM in this conflict prone world.

This is basically saying if a cult gets enough followers and is around for long enough, it should be respected.

CricketCartoons
12th February 2015, 17:45
LOL. Modi is talking about tradition and culture. Where was all that when he was wearing a suit with his name embroidered on it. His followers are only taking the natural step forward from the example he has set.

CricketCartoons
12th February 2015, 17:46
This is basically saying if a cult gets enough followers and is around for long enough, it should be respected.

Yes. That is the essence of a democratic world. Vox populi vox Dei.

Gabbar Singh
12th February 2015, 18:01
Against India's 'traditions' and 'culture'?

Mmm so is he saying temples and places of worship should not be built in India for Gods, Gurus, Peers etc?

Sure a Temple for Modi (or Sonia or Dhoni etc) is ridiculous but why is it any more ridiculous than opening a temple for Moinuddin Chishti, Sai Baba, Krishna, Paul, Guru Nanak etc?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Have seen the news*about a Temple being built in my name. I was appalled. This is shocking & against India's great traditions.</p>— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/565711345547747330">February 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Building such Temples is *not what our culture teaches us. Personally, it made me very sad. Would urge those doing it not to do it.</p>— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/565711528167751684">February 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

sensible-indian-fan
12th February 2015, 18:02

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Have seen the news*about a Temple being built in my name. I was appalled. This is shocking & against India's great traditions.</p>— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/565711345547747330">February 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Building such Temples is *not what our culture teaches us. Personally, it made me very sad. Would urge those doing it not to do it.</p>— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/565711528167751684">February 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If you have time & resources, please devote the same towards fulfilling our dream of a Clean India.</p>— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/565711752273608704">February 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

Very sensible comments by Modi.

Thank God he put his foot down.

Cpt. Rishwat
12th February 2015, 18:03
I don't see Modi's point that it is against Indian traditions, seems to me traditionally Indians have been doing this for centuries. Forget building a shrine for a leader, in historic times there were even statues of Lord Shiva's doo-da.

CricketCartoons
12th February 2015, 18:12
I don't see Modi's point that it is against Indian traditions, seems to me traditionally Indians have been doing this for centuries. Forget building a shrine for a leader, in historic times there were even statues of Lord Shiva's doo-da.

The phallic symbol is still worshipped.

Modi has every right to object a shrine on his name, but he is not being honest when he talks about india's traditions.

Watsupdoc
12th February 2015, 19:34

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If you have time & resources, please devote the same towards fulfilling our dream of a Clean India.</p>— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) <a href="https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status/565711752273608704">February 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

Respect for Modi.

Gabbar Singh
12th February 2015, 19:35
Very sensible comments by Modi.

Thank God he put his foot down.

Which particular one? :)

sensible-indian-fan
12th February 2015, 19:40
Which particular one? :)

Since I am a Vaishnavite, its one and only Vishnu.

All the rest are demi Gods. :)

Electron
12th February 2015, 20:03
Whatever drives people's boats. If they believe Modi is God himself, then so be it.

If enough people beleieve Modi is God, then Modism will become anothe r religion in India.

There is no rule that says "temples belong to God".

CricketCartoons
12th February 2015, 20:09
Modi is the same guy who razed many temples in Gujarat, which had made Congress angry.

desi_launda
12th February 2015, 20:47
Modi is the same guy who razed many temples in Gujarat, which had made Congress angry.

why raze down existing temples?what would that have possibly acheived?

CricketCartoons
12th February 2015, 20:55
why raze down existing temples?what would that have possibly acheived?

Because temples are a way to encroach on public land. Let those who build places of worship buy the land. All illegal places of worship should be razed to the ground.

sensible-indian-fan
12th February 2015, 21:07
Because temples are a way to encroach on public land. Let those who build places of worship buy the land. All illegal places of worship should be razed to the ground.

If he did that, good for him.

If its illegal, its gotta go.

Swanny
12th February 2015, 21:54
People build temple for all sorts of people. From politicians to film stars to anybody.

I wont be surprised if there were temples for salman, srk, sharapova, anjelina jolie, the great khali :p

CricketCartoons
12th February 2015, 21:57
People build temple for all sorts of people. From politicians to film stars to anybody.

I wont be surprised if there were temples for salman, srk, sharapova, anjelina jolie, the great khali :p

sharapova does not deserve a temple. she is a heathen.

Swanny
12th February 2015, 22:00
I am surprised kejru hasnt built a ' Kejrinath ' temple yet. :p

ihsri aha
12th February 2015, 22:02
Needed just nine years to get appalled

enkidu_
12th February 2015, 22:43
The Indian ethos is in pure harmony with the creative cosmic forces - always in movement, like the dance of Shiva - thus every element is a theophany, a holy signature of the Infinite divine power : Indian 'fetishism' for temples is due to the fact that it smells the perfume of Transcendence in every animate or inanimate being, including - and even more so - human beings, who are receptacle of the jivatman, and thus natural microcosmic reflection of the Purusha, the Primordial man (al insan al kamil of the Sufis), and even if probably fits Gandhi more than Modi, an Indian doesn't worship Modi as an individual, but Modi as the embodiment of a higher, spiritual force.

Of course, we can mock them, it's always easier to laugh... but who says that it's worse to build temples than stadia, night clubs or be immersed in our iPhones ? I find peoples watching football or cricket matches and jumping for their 'stars' like monkeys 'funnier' than those who spend few of their minutes remembering that there's a God somewhere.

Truly, Indians still stick to the transcendent Unity of God in the multiplicity of His creation, and remain faithful to the metaphysics they have been shaping since millennia, and far from being criticized, in our times of mechanical modernism and its annihilation of all religious symbols, we should - to the least - actually respect them, as the probable rise of India as a superpower will bring a sad secularization and the only temples left in India would be capitalist greeds and industries.

Cpt. Rishwat
13th February 2015, 01:10
AKher has to be one of the true superstars of PP. It's like he's posting from the 4th Dimension. Readers you should feel privileged.

kaayal
13th February 2015, 01:37
:yshah1^Lol true :))

Looks like he is an "enlighted buddha" now..:msd

kaayal
13th February 2015, 01:40
**Enlightened

CricketCartoons
13th February 2015, 07:30
AKher has to be one of the true superstars of PP. It's like he's posting from the 4th Dimension. Readers you should feel privileged.

Used to read his posts, but stopped reading them when then contain "spirituality" (which is ** imo). Political posts are still worth reading. Used to be on my ignore list along with indiafan.

Sandeep
13th February 2015, 10:04

Is enkidu_ actually Akher? The latter is very knowledgeable of races and stuff.. enkidu_ is awesome with his knowledge as well..

Buffet
13th February 2015, 20:12
A Shrine to Modi? No Thanks, India’s Premier Says

NEW DELHI — Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India publicly distanced himself on Thursday from a gesture of idolatry from his followers, a group of whom recently attempted to inaugurate a temple in his honor in the western state of Gujarat.

He told his more than 10 million Twitter followers on Thursday morning that he was “appalled” by the gesture, calling it “shocking,” and “against India’s great traditions.”

“Building such temples is not what our culture teaches us,” he continued. “Personally, it made me very sad. Would urge those doing it not to do it.”

The temple in question was constructed eight years ago in a village in the district of Rajkot, according to Shankar Bhai Manu Bhai Patel, a 40-year-old laborer who also works as the temple priest. Originally, it had been dedicated to Bharat Mata, or Mother India. Years later, Modi supporters decided to erect a bust of Mr. Modi in the temple, the first step in making it a shrine to him.

It took four years to collect the 165,000 rupees, or over $2,600, to construct the bust of Mr. Modi, said one of the temple donors, Ramesh Undhad, in an interview with ANI, an Indian news channel, on Wednesday. The formal inauguration of the “Modi temple” was to take place on Sunday, but after news of Mr. Modi’s condemnation spread, Mr. Patel said, those plans were called off.

“We immediately stopped all the work to convert this into a temple for him,” Mr. Patel said in a phone interview, referring to Mr. Modi as bhai, or brother, a sign of respect. “Narendra bhai Modi is god for me and us here and if the god himself is angry, then what good is a temple?”

A district magistrate in Rajkot, A.B. Gor, said in a telephone interview that the temple was unauthorized construction built on government land, and that the authorities had gone there Thursday morning to remove it. When they arrived, temple organizers had already removed the bust, he said.

In the semiopen temple, the bust had sat on a square platform in the sanctum sanctorum, sheltered by a roof made of locally found bamboo sticks and metal. Hindus make offerings of flowers and sweets at such temples, accompanied by chants during morning and evening prayers.

India has a history of constructing temples in honor of figures not strictly divine: Last year, local media reported that an Indian National Congress party loyalist began construction in southern India of a temple devoted to the party president, Sonia Gandhi, complete with a bronze statue. Temples have been dedicated to local film stars and cricket heroes. Another temple was converted to honor Mr. Modi last year in the Kaushambi district of Uttar Pradesh State, according to local media reports.

Mr. Modi, who soared to power after parliamentary elections last May, has a widespread appeal that was especially evident during the election campaign. After his victory, on a visit to New York in September, he addressed a crowd of 19,000, many chanting his name in unison, in Madison Square Garden.

But Mr. Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party was trounced in the New Delhi assembly elections on Tuesday, winning just three of 70 seats, a reflection, some analysts said, of the first signs of dissatisfaction with a party that has yet to deliver on the economic promises of the campaign.

Mr. Patel said he first became a fan of Mr. Modi 12 years ago, when the prime minister became the chief minister of Gujarat. He said 50 or 60 people gathered in the temple every evening, chanting prayers to Mr. Modi, which he called “NaMo sutras.” Mr. Undhad, the temple donor, said people visited the temple morning and evening, traveling from neighboring villages.

“The grief that I and all of us are feeling, is fathomless,” said Mr. Patel. “I am drowned in a sea of grief.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/13/world/asia/narendra-modi-india-rejects-temple-in-his-honor.html?_r=0

-------------------

Fallen King
14th February 2015, 03:40
People made prophets out of ordinary humans in the past, so why should they be stopped from elevating others to this status again?

This is simply a continuation of the kind of nonsense we have been witnessing from the past, nothing new.

You are taking this lightly. Prophets endured human cruelty and worse. They could have given up at any time, but they were chosen by God, and any sign of disobeying would have invited the wrath of God. Prophets were chosen with responsibility which they weren't ready to bear in the first place. The only reasons they stood clear because they had support from God.

# Going back to topic;

Good move by Modi for discouraging this insanity. I can understand the obsession with Modi, but building temples in dedication to certain figure is beyond lunatic especially when it is created to worship human being. Modi is mortal like us. :facepalm:

Bhagavad Gita is totally against this kind of worship. Yes, i read Gita sometimes. Religions is my favorite topic. :jf

Gabbar Singh
14th February 2015, 21:16

Ah so enkidu=akher?

Glad to see you back akheR @ enkidu_ although tbh that post above sounds like the pseudo scientific sound-bites that someone like Deepa Chopra or Wayne Dyer come out with. :)

http://www.wisdomofchopra.com/

sensible-indian-fan
14th February 2015, 21:25
Used to read his posts, but stopped reading them when then contain "spirituality" (which is ** imo). Political posts are still worth reading. Used to be on my ignore list along with indiafan.

And now?

And why was he in there at the start?

sensible-indian-fan
14th February 2015, 21:27
Ah so enkidu=akher?

Glad to see you back akheR @ enkidu_ although tbh that post above sounds like the pseudo scientific sound-bites that someone like Deepa Chopra or Wayne Dyer come out with. :)

http://www.wisdomofchopra.com/

:))

What the hell is that?

I didn't understand even 1 tweet.

Gabbar Singh
14th February 2015, 23:28
:))

What the hell is that?

I didn't understand even 1 tweet.

:)

Deepak Chopra vs. Random Quote Generator.
by T. Ryan Gregory, on June 19th, 2012

Here’s a fun game. Try to guess which of these were posted to Twitter by Deepak Chopra, and which were generated randomly by the algorithm at http://www.wisdomofchopra.com/.

Five are real, five are randomly generated:

A) “Impermanence keeps life fresh.”

B) “Your movement is rooted in the expression of possibilities.”

C) “Our consciousness is as much an activity of the universe as a spiraling galaxy.”

D) “The unpredictable illuminates visible creativity.”

E) “Nature is inherent in humble sensations.”

F) “You are the timeless seer in the midst of time bound scenery.”

G) “The light of awareness brings the universe into manifestation.”

H) “Awareness regulates reckless experiences.”

I) “The silent witness of thought is free of thought and therefore universal.”

J) “Intuition arises and subsides in ephemeral energy.”

Answers:

Real: A,C,F,G,I
Random: B,D,E,H,J

Gabbar Singh
14th February 2015, 23:28
http://www.genomicron.evolverzone.com/2012/06/deepak-chopra-vs-random-quote-generator/

sensible-indian-fan
14th February 2015, 23:45
Crazy fellow this Deepak Chopra.

CricketCartoons
14th February 2015, 23:47
http://www.genomicron.evolverzone.com/2012/06/deepak-chopra-vs-random-quote-generator/

I am so privileged to read these spiritual quotes from the 4th dimension.

OZGOD
15th February 2015, 09:27
I must admit I don't know much about Hinduism so apologies if this question seems ignorant. I thought you could only be made a prophet or incarnation of God after you were dead?