PDA

View Full Version : "The way former stars like Shoaib speak,it obviously affects the morale of the team": Mudassar Nazar

EliteCynical
28th February 2015, 03:58
PERTH: Pakistan cricket fraternity might rate Umar Akmal very highly but none among country's current batsmen can be "even distantly compared" with India's premier batsman Virat Kohli, feels former Pakistan all-rounder Mudassar Nazar.

"Look there is a vast difference in pedigree of Virat and Akmal. Both Akmal and Ahmed Shahzad played in that Under-19 World Cup in Kuala Lumpur where Virat led India. Even then you knew that Virat's class was altogether different.

"Even though he is talented but sorry to say that Umar never belonged to that league as the gulf in standard was so huge," Mudassar, one of Pakistan's finest all-rounders in the 1980s, said in an interview at the WACA here on Friday.

In fact, Mudassar, who is here as batting consultant of the UAE national team, had no hesitation in stating that "Virat along with AB de Villiers and David Warner are the three best batsmen in world cricket today".

Talking about Pakistan cricket, the veteran of 76 Tests and 122 ODIs seemed completely disillusioned.

"Well, what you see now is all that Pakistan cricket possess. After this batch of players exit, I shudder to think from where the next batch of players will come," he said while genuinely sounding worried.

"But I would still look at one of the positive aspects like Pakistan's fast bowling strength which is still better than some of the other nations. Unfortunately, whatever fast bowlers Pakistan produced in last few years have all been prone to injury. Our best talent, Junaid Khan also got injured."

Mudassar, whose career-best Test score of 231 came against India in Hyderabad (Sind) in 1983, cited multiple reason for Pakistan's failure.

"There are multiple reasons for Pakistan's inconsistent performances. Compared to India, Pakistan's bench strength is next to nothing. In fact, India's Ranji Trophy structure was always very strong and with advent of IPL, it has made it even easier to have a strong supply line. India's financial might has helped them run their state of the art academies in a smooth manner," he lamented.

The golden days of Pakistan cricket is long gone and Mudassar feels that it might not come back again soon.

"Our strength was quality in those days (late 70s to early 90s). Look at the players we have had...Imran Khan, Javed Miandad, Zaheer Abbas, Salim Malik, Wasim Akram, you name them. Those were the days when all the top Pakistan players were playing in county cricket.

"We also used to have a lot of international cricket in Pakistan. Now there's been a change. There are no proper talent development projects in Pakistan, there's no proper domestic structure in place," he said.

"When I was with the PCB, I had started an academy system that they have shut down thrice and that hurt bench strength. I worked as Director (Cricket Development) but then had to leave," revealed Mudassar.

Such has been the bitter taste of PCB's administrative mess that the 58-year-old doesn't want to go back even if he is offered a job.

"I am no longer interested. Since I am a product of the Pakistan cricket system, I know what the problems are and I find it difficult to digest. I don't think there would be any change. I have lost hope. PCB chief Shaharyar (Khan) saab is nice human being but I don't see him being successful in bringing about any change. Like Imran Khan, whose ambition is to become Pakistan's PM."

While it's true that he is not happy with state of affairs in Pakistan cricket but is also unable to accept the manner in which renowned former players like Shoaib Akhtar and Sikander Bakht are "spitting venom" in their TV shows.

"The way these people (former stars like Shoaib) speak, it obviously affects the morale of the team. I believe these former stars deliberately mislead Pakistan's general public, who have little awareness about what actually is happening.

"If you ask these people as to why they are saying stuff like these, they would tell you 'Humein yehi saab bolne ke paise miltein hain (We get paid to say all these things)'," a disappointed Mudassar said.

"If you talk about British press, where there are papers like Guardian, Times, Daily Telegraph, they have a different standard, but in Pakistan, they have taken this tabloid journalism to a different level! They treat players as commodities and I don't like that," Mudassar signed off on a sour note.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/icc-world-cup-2015/interviews/World-Cup-2015-Akmal-Shehzad-dont-have-Kohlis-class-says-Mudassar-Nazar/articleshow/46396426.cms?intenttarget=no&utm_source=TOI_AShow_OBWidget&utm_medium=Int_Ref&utm_campaign=TOI_AShow

EliteCynical
28th February 2015, 04:07
I think UAE has batted decently in the tournament. Khurram Khan and the Anwar guy impressed me a lot. Kudos to Mudassar Nazar. Also to Aaqib Javed. Highly underrated.

msb314
28th February 2015, 04:37
I agree with the jist of what Mudassar Nazar said (especially the part of Virat Kohli being on another level than Umer Akmal lol) but disagree when he criticized Shoiab Akhtar and SIkandar Bakht for speaking their mind.

Our players are not babies and should not be coddled if they continue to under-perform. IF we had not lost 4 wickets with only 1 run against WI and if our middle order had not collapsed against India - Shoaib Akhtar and Sikandar Bakht would not have anything to complain about.

Ultimately, the players are responsible so don't underperform and expect critics to not say anything...

EliteCynical
28th February 2015, 04:50
I agree with the jist of what Mudassar Nazar said (especially the part of Virat Kohli being on another level than Umer Akmal lol) but disagree when he criticized Shoiab Akhtar and SIkandar Bakht for speaking their mind.

Our players are not babies and should not be coddled if they continue to under-perform. IF we had not lost 4 wickets with only 1 run against WI and if our middle order had not collapsed against India - Shoaib Akhtar and Sikandar Bakht would not have anything to complain about.

Ultimately, the players are responsible so don't underperform and expect critics to not say anything...

Agreed. But this part was disappointing,

"If you ask these people as to why they are saying stuff like these, they would tell you 'Humein yehi saab bolne ke paise miltein hain (We get paid to say all these things)'," a disappointed Mudassar said.

And i am saying this because Shoaib changes his statements everyday. As an analyst he should be consistent and not get hyper and spit out whatever comes to your mind, to the media. Everyone gets upset when the team loses, but that does not warrant loose statements.

Laparwah
28th February 2015, 05:32
Agree with Muddy on Umer Akmal. He is no way near the quality of Virat Kohli, I hate it when after a late cut played by Umer, Rameez Raja starts harping on about his "amazing talent" as if the shot has never been played before. Again its a case of extremes with the Pak media, former players and fans alike where either the player is just incredible or not even good enough to carry a bat. Umer Akmal is an average middle order batsman, nothing more or less.

shaz619
28th February 2015, 05:41
Wow, for once one of the ex-cricketers gets it right. Very well spoken individual this Nazar bloke, fair play to him.

MenInG
28th February 2015, 13:02
Perth: The Pakistan team has been far from impressive in this World Cup — losing first to India by 76 runs and then to the West Indies by 150 runs — and the Misbah-ul-Haq-led side has had to cop some scathing criticism for the same.

Former fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar has been one of the team’s harshest critics slamming the system and even going on to call Misbah a coward.

Former Pakistani all-rounder, Mudassar Nazar, however said that though the Pakistan team is under-performing, things are not as bad as Akhtar is making it seem.

“I think Akhtar is merely exaggerating the problems in Pakistan cricket. Yes, the team has not played well and there are issues but the way he is going out there and saying things about the captain and players is not right,” Nazar told reporters at the WACA yesterday during UAE’s practice session ahead of today’s World Cup fixture against India.

“Akhtar may say whatever he wants but this team has done well in Test cricket. In ODIs, when your No 1 spinner (Saeed Ajmal) is banned six months ahead of the World Cup, your senior-most batsman and off-spinner (Mohammed Hafeez) is not there and your most successful left-arm pace bowler (Junaid Khan) is absent, it is bound to hurt. I’m disappointed too as I’m a product of the same system. I also cannot digest these performances,” said Nazar, who played 76 Tests and 122 ODIs for Pakistan.

The 58-year-old said that Akhtar & Co’s indulgence in PCB-bashing has become a trend.

“There is a system problem in Pakistan cricket, but not as grave as what Akhtar is making it out to be. PCB-bashing has become very fashionable in Pakistan. While some are genuinely concerned about Pakistan cricket, there are many others, who are simply looking for job offers.”

- See more at: http://www.mid-day.com/articles/icc-world-cup-shoaib-akhtar-exaggerating-issues-in-pak-cricket-says-mudassar-nazar/16025151#sthash.UTuCL2N4.dpuf

ahanank
28th February 2015, 13:09
Akhtar and Yousaf are by far the worst analysts so far in the WC!
They try to be blunt, and focus too much on the negatives instead of the positives.

le_petit_prince
28th February 2015, 13:33
yes he is right .losing 4 wickets for a run wasn't that much bad as people think. :)

zabalestmsm
28th February 2015, 13:34
A good comment by Mudassar Nazar!

Suleiman
28th February 2015, 13:39
His comments have been pretty professional and sensible tbh. In another part of this interview (in another thread) he rightfully criticizes our cowardly approach to batting. Doesn't go overboard nor does h get emotional like a pregnant woman like some of our ex players do nowadays.

saeedhk
28th February 2015, 13:42
Akhtar is right.This is our lowest point.People are delusional.

yadunoe
28th February 2015, 22:51

he is more so saying that shoaib should be so personal in his attack that ruins the morale. Great comments by him people like him should come on shows more often