PDA

View Full Version : Lakhvi living comfortable 'detention' life in jail: BBC report

Khyam
1st March 2015, 19:32
http://www.dawn.com/news/1166678/lakhvi-living-comfortable-detention-life-in-jail-bbc-report

According to a report published by*BBC Urdu*on Sunday, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi the prime suspect and alleged mastermind in the Mumbai attacks of 2008 is living a life of comfort while being held in detention at Adiala Jail.

After a long drawn legal battle post-Mumbai attacks, Lakhvi had been granted bail by an Anti-terrorism court that was trying him, a day after the horrific Peshawar Army Public School massacre.

The ill-timed decision was met with outrage from the international community, especially India.

He was then detained by the government under the Maintenance of Public Order (MPO) law.

Fast forward to today however, and, according to the BBC report, his detention remains highly unorthodox and suspect.

"He [Lakhvi] can receive any number of guests, any time of the day or night, seven days a week," a jail official told BBC.

It was further alleged in the report that inside his jail cell, Lakhvi enjoys the use of a television, mobile phone and internet access. Moreover, none of his visitors have to identify themselves to jail officials.

Background

Zakir-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, now 55, hails from the Okara district of Punjab - the same place as Ajmal Kasab, one of the gunmen in the Mumbai attacks.

It is reported he joined the Jamiat Ahl-e-Hadith (JAH) in 1990, eventually graduating to Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), an armed militant outfit alleged to be active in Indian administered Kashmir.

At the time of the Mumbai attacks, Lakhvi was believed to be the operational head of by-then banned LeT that had been accused by India of planning and executing the atrocity.

Laparwah
2nd March 2015, 08:00
Human rights and all!! If he was being beaten pink and blue the BBC would be crying over a lack of human rights and here they seem to be complaining of the opposite. Prisoners in the west are by and large treated well, it's good that we are learning:danish. Lakhvi will never be handed over to India just because they "think he was responsible". We believe many murderers of Pakistanis are hiding in India.

rahulrulezz
2nd March 2015, 08:08
Human rights and all!! If he was being beaten pink and blue the BBC would be crying over a lack of human rights and here they seem to be complaining of the opposite. Prisoners in the west are by and large treated well, it's good that we are learning:danish. Lakhvi will never be handed over to India just because they "think he was responsible". We believe many murderers of Pakistanis are hiding in India.

It used to bother me but now I think I actually enjoy reading stuff like this

Laparwah
2nd March 2015, 08:25
It used to bother me but now I think I actually enjoy reading stuff like this

As if it bothering you or not makes any difference to us!!

filthyfulltoss
2nd March 2015, 10:34

Great comment bud. Nice of you to rub salt into the wounds of the Shi'ite mothers who have lost their sons and daughters.

May god have mercy on your troubled soul.

filthyfulltoss
2nd March 2015, 10:36
Disgusted to come out of the same nation as people like Laparwah.

Laparwah
2nd March 2015, 10:49
Great comment bud. Nice of you to rub salt into the wounds of the Shi'ite mothers who have lost their sons and daughters.

May god have mercy on your troubled soul.

I didn't say anything on Shi'ite Muslims, you need to see an optician as soon as possible to improve your eyesight. I am speaking on what I think of Indians.

filthyfulltoss
2nd March 2015, 11:06
I didn't say anything on Shi'ite Muslims, you need to see an optician as soon as possible to improve your eyesight. I am speaking on what I think of Indians.

you do realize it is lakhvi and ilk that contribute to the deaths of thousands of shi'ites and other Pakistanis right? You do realize people like Malik Ishaq get the same "treatment" in prison as lakhvi does? Is it okay to turn a blind eye to our soft spot for terrorists? Because by your logic it is...

Once again, I hope god has mercy on your troubled soul.

Major
2nd March 2015, 16:11

what kind of ridiculous post is this? Prisoners in the west do not carry mobile phones with them when in prison. Atleast not infront of the officers

filthyfulltoss
2nd March 2015, 16:42
what kind of ridiculous post is this? Prisoners in the west do not carry mobile phones with them when in prison. Atleast not infront of the officers

nor do they have children in prison...

but hey, he's a terrorist that killed innocent indians, why should we shed a tear right? It's not like we have any sense of basic human decency ...

rahulrulezz
2nd March 2015, 20:09
nor do they have children in prison...

but hey, he's a terrorist that killed innocent indians, why should we shed a tear right? It's not like we have any sense of basic human decency ...

THIS!

I hate to say this but I am ok with Pakistanis like Laparwah because you know terrorists like Lakhvis might kill 200 Indian people through Mumbai attacks, but the same Lakhvi would create enough terrorists that will kill 20,000 innocents Pakistanis in Pakistan... Its good to see Pakistani posters like Filthyfulltoss and Major who don't differentiate between good and bad terrorists...

CricketCartoons
2nd March 2015, 20:24
THIS!

I hate to say this but I am ok with Pakistanis like Laparwah because you know terrorists like Lakhvis might kill 200 Indian people through Mumbai attacks, but the same Lakhvi would create enough terrorists that will kill 20,000 innocents Pakistanis in Pakistan... Its good to see Pakistani posters like Filthyfulltoss and Major who don't differentiate between good and bad terrorists...

Why are you Ok that lakhwis will kill 20,000 innocent Pakistanis? Just because you don't like what one random poster is saying? what great thought to have.

Buffet
2nd March 2015, 20:52
"He [Lakhvi] can receive any number of guests, any time of the day or night, seven days a week," a jail official told BBC.

It was further alleged in the report that inside his jail cell, Lakhvi enjoys the use of a television, mobile phone and internet access. Moreover, none of his visitors have to identify themselves to jail officials.

It's clear that he has the backing of officials to run his operation from inside. Due to international pressure, drama of jail is going on.

Officials should have woken up after the Peshawar incident. This good terrorist and bad terrorist crap will never allow a normal situation for folks in Pakistan. Hopefully, saner voice keep the pressure and force the change. I feel some sections still want to keep this good terrorist and bad terrorist drama but many more are realizing that it's recipe for disaster.

rahulrulezz
3rd March 2015, 03:37
Why are you Ok that lakhwis will kill 20,000 innocent Pakistanis? Just because you don't like what one random poster is saying? what great thought to have.

You are right. It didn't come out right. My apologies. It's my way of not getting upset or getting frustrated when I read so many Pakistanis supporting terrorist leaders like Lakhvis and Maulana Azhar. These Pakistanis who have sympathy for these terrorists don't realize that the same terrorists like Lakhvis n Azhar will create thousand times more Ajmal Kasabs in Pakistan and kill way more Pakistanis.

Laparwah
3rd March 2015, 04:32
you do realize it is lakhvi and ilk that contribute to the deaths of thousands of shi'ites and other Pakistanis right? You do realize people like Malik Ishaq get the same "treatment" in prison as lakhvi does? Is it okay to turn a blind eye to our soft spot for terrorists? Because by your logic it is...

Once again, I hope god has mercy on your troubled soul.

You are not that pious that you need to pray for me instead have a look in the mirror. Lakhvi has not been found guilty of anything yet so is innocent in my eyes, that's what the courts are for. If found guilty he should be punished accordingly, as for 26/11 again that is Indian propaganda. Unless they hand over terrorists that have killed Pakistanis we should ignore all that they say.

Laparwah
3rd March 2015, 04:36
THIS!

But I am not okay with you!! Unless you punish perpetrators of the Samjhauta Express and other Indian terrorists who have killed Pakistanis there is no reason for us to listen to anything you are saying. Same applies to those Indians sitting in Afghanistan supporting the Pakistan Taliban, are they good or bad terrorists??

Laparwah
3rd March 2015, 04:37

But they are not abused either as is normally the case in Pak prisons.

filthyfulltoss
3rd March 2015, 11:20
You are not that pious that you need to pray for me instead have a look in the mirror. Lakhvi has not been found guilty of anything yet so is innocent in my eyes, that's what the courts are for. If found guilty he should be punished accordingly, as for 26/11 again that is Indian propaganda. Unless they hand over terrorists that have killed Pakistanis we should ignore all that they say.

Of course - any time that innocent Indians die it is propaganda but our woes are real.

Pathetic that you would have "Where there is no war!" as your venue, but it is sickening mentalities like yourself's that contribute to war in its entirety.

nish_mate
3rd March 2015, 13:52
But I am not okay with you!! Unless you punish perpetrators of the Samjhauta Express and other Indian terrorists who have killed Pakistanis there is no reason for us to listen to anything you are saying. Same applies to those Indians sitting in Afghanistan supporting the Pakistan Taliban, are they good or bad terrorists??

Well what about Dawood bhai sitting and eating jalebis in Pakistan- when is that handover happening? Naah he us one of your greatest cricketers rishtedaar now and part of the family.

Vis a vis terrorists- are LeT, Hizbul Mujahideen, Jaish e Mohammad all good terrorists?

RexRex
3rd March 2015, 14:49
It looks like the who's who of the world's most wanted can rely on some very gracious hosts.:116:
From last count that's Dawood , Masood , Hafeez , Osama , Haqqani , likely Mullah Omar and now Lakhvi.Who's next .. jihadi john?

cricketjoshila
3rd March 2015, 16:35
Why is any Indian surprised?

www787
3rd March 2015, 18:03
if it is true then it is sad. No prisoner should be allowed to use cell phone, but they should be treated humanely.

CricketCartoons
3rd March 2015, 18:16
if it is true then it is sad. No prisoner should be allowed to use cell phone, but they should be treated humanely.

in the current times, being deprived of your phone is inhuman.

Laparwah
4th March 2015, 01:02
Of course - any time that innocent Indians die it is propaganda but our woes are real.

Pathetic that you would have "Where there is no war!" as your venue, but it is sickening mentalities like yourself's that contribute to war in its entirety.

Only thing pathetic is your apologetic attitude!! India s to blame for refusing to deal with the Kashmir issue. Pak was fine before the war in Afghanistan from where India is creating trouble. Of course to you Pakistan should accept all blame and stand in front of Bharat with our hands folded. It will never happen, we will give worse then we take.

Laparwah
4th March 2015, 01:06
Well what about Dawood bhai sitting and eating jalebis in Pakistan- when is that handover happening? Naah he us one of your greatest cricketers rishtedaar now and part of the family.

Vis a vis terrorists- are LeT, Hizbul Mujahideen, Jaish e Mohammad all good terrorists?

First deal with Samjhauta Express before we consider your points of view. When are you handing us the perpetrators. Dawood is not in Pak, most likely he is sitting in India under your own noses having biryani with Modi:uakmal No terrorists are good so what you gonna do about all those in saffron attire preaching hate against Pakistan??

CricketCartoons
4th March 2015, 01:09
First deal with Samjhauta Express before we consider your points of view. When are you handing us the perpetrators. Dawood is not in Pak, most likely he is sitting in India under your own noses having biryani with Modi:uakmal No terrorists are good so what you gonna do about all those in saffron attire preaching hate against Pakistan??

Out of curiosity, do India and Pakistan have any extradition treaty? Who gets to try the criminals? Is it decided by where the crime happened, or by the nationality of the victims? eg, if an Indian is killed in Pakistan, will the criminal be tried under Pakistani courts or Indian?

Laparwah
4th March 2015, 01:14
Out of curiosity, do India and Pakistan have any extradition treaty? Who gets to try the criminals? Is it decided by where the crime happened, or by the nationality of the victims? eg, if an Indian is killed in Pakistan, will the criminal be tried under Pakistani courts or Indian?

That's the problem that there is a lack of trust between two countries. We don't believe what you say and vice versa. Due to these reasons trials need to take place under a mutual umpire that both trust similar to the Hague.

CricketCartoons
4th March 2015, 01:22
That's the problem that there is a lack of trust between two countries. We don't believe what you say and vice versa. Due to these reasons trials need to take place under a mutual umpire that both trust similar to the Hague.

So instead of asking each other to hand over criminals, shouldn't the countries take action against whoever commits crime? Colonel Purohit, the accused in Samjhauta train blasts is in jail since 6 years, without trial. I don't see any lax attitude by the indian government towards him, in fact it is the opposite, he deserves a fair trial which he isnt getting.

Laparwah
4th March 2015, 01:26
So instead of asking each other to hand over criminals, shouldn't the countries take action against whoever commits crime? Colonel Purohit, the accused in Samjhauta train blasts is in jail since 6 years, without trial. I don't see any lax attitude by the indian government towards him, in fact it is the opposite, he deserves a fair trial which he isnt getting.

He was not on his own so what about the rest?? Again when either country takes action the other deems it to be insufficient and not good enough. Pak should reciprocate and it has banned a few extreme groups as well.

www787
4th March 2015, 02:08
in the current times, being deprived of your phone is inhuman.

sadly you are right