PDA

View Full Version : Eng vs SL: First Test

Pages : [1] 2

Officer Barbrady
11th May 2006, 11:37
So the season begins. It will be interesting to see how England do just before the series against Pakistan.

Sajid is likely to play, a good move I think though I'd have liked to see Owais playing as well.

MIG
11th May 2006, 11:55
We wish both teams luck and hope that SL can dent some English confidence ( atleast win 1 test ) before we arrive :)

Amjid Javed
11th May 2006, 12:00
Sri lanka will be like a chicken wing in a starter course for england. Sri lankas batting to me is to flimsy to compete across the whole series.

england will cruise to a 2-0 or 3-0 series win.

Officer Barbrady
11th May 2006, 12:27
Yes, personally I hope to see England win - read thrash SL - 3/0. They deserve it. Having said that the English batsmen are capable of anything up to a test loss (though certainly not a series).

tahaqureshi
11th May 2006, 12:39
I'm hoping for a Sri Lanka win.

z10
11th May 2006, 13:04
actually, i expect sri lanka to do well

a series loss perhaps, but definately not a thrashing

pakistani pride
11th May 2006, 14:34
if they (SL) can score runs then there is a chance but their batting seems 2 be 2 weak !

pakistani pride
11th May 2006, 15:23
ENG win toss !

any news how is the wicket ? how will it play throughout ?

pakistani pride
11th May 2006, 15:57
no interest ? or is everyone watching game live ?

i am @ uni no footage in holland !

Billy
11th May 2006, 15:59
Pitch is doing a bit so Vaas is a threat, I wouldn't be surprised to see Malinga cause a few problems either.

Not as one sided as many people predicted I fancy.

pakistani pride
11th May 2006, 16:07
malinga is he playing ?

Hash
11th May 2006, 16:09
malinga is he playing ?

you can check the teams on cricinfo

Billy
11th May 2006, 16:19
malinga is he playing ?

No, I was reading the wrong lineup.

Kulasekara is in instead.

jusarrived
11th May 2006, 16:44
62/0 eng

pitch is as flat as u can get!

Big Mac
11th May 2006, 17:09
Murali credited as being the one to introduce the doosra yet again :(

Big Mac
11th May 2006, 17:18
Totally plumb, Rudi says not out. How is that man still an international umpire

jusarrived
11th May 2006, 17:19
tresco gets lucky!

Plumb lbw not given by rudi!

Oxy
11th May 2006, 17:19
That was Plumb - Rudi gives Eng their 1st life of the series....

UJ
11th May 2006, 17:21
Haha, Rudi strikes again

Oxy
11th May 2006, 17:21
Honestly - that was an embarrasing decision. I am watching without the audio - what are they 'commentators' saying?

jusarrived
11th May 2006, 17:22
why is that any team or any venue or any form of game SL plays becomes boring ?

Big Mac
11th May 2006, 17:25
Honestly - that was an embarrasing decision. I am watching without the audio - what are they 'commentators' saying?

Both Athers and Holding were asking why isn't it out even before the Hawkeye came on. They still can't believe it

Oxy
11th May 2006, 17:31
...and Strauss is the man to fall!

Eng 86-1 at Lunch

Oxy
11th May 2006, 17:32
I like Sky's graphics package this season - looks like they will milk the 'exclusive' rights!

Big Mac
11th May 2006, 17:32
Murali has Strauss caught at slip for 48 on the stroke of lunch. 86/1.

Bowled Murali caught Jayawardene is now the bowler/fielder combo with the most dismissals in test history.

HAFRIDI
11th May 2006, 18:15
Murali does the trick before lunch, good stuff.

Remaining 5 balls to Cook after lunch, feeds him every ball in the book, a few brilliant bowls.

the Great Khan
11th May 2006, 19:04
Murali credited as being the one to introduce the doosra yet again

typical english!!..doosra isnt even a sinhalese word!!

Waseem
11th May 2006, 19:10
typical english!!..doosra isnt even a sinhalese word!!

Murali is Tamil :P

James
11th May 2006, 19:14
We have had some luck but played well. Hopefully we can get to close of play with a couple of hundred on the board and not many wickets down, you never know what Murali is gonna do but the seamers look ordinary enough to give us runs. If Tresco keeps picking the doosra like he did the last time when he got a six, theres a comeback century for the taking!

Daoud
11th May 2006, 19:26
Murali is Tamil :P
:))) :)))
The irony
I do hate it how commentators give Murali or Harbhajan credit for the doosra though. Mike Haysman even went further. Murali renamed the doosra the 'connection' and when Saqlain bowled it, our friend 'Haysie' called it the 'connection'

the Great Khan
11th May 2006, 19:46
doosra isnt even a word in tamil too as far as I know

Billy
11th May 2006, 19:58
Now Rudi.. I know some unkind people have likened Murali's action to that of a baseball pitcher but we're not playing three strikes and out here!

Big Mac
11th May 2006, 20:58
Vass traps Pietersen LBW for 4.

But umpire Dar says not out.

SHAMBLES.

James
11th May 2006, 21:00
Lol, another blatant leg before not given. This is great.

Uzzy
11th May 2006, 21:12
England never leave home without Aleem Dar :P

Pathan007
11th May 2006, 21:13
5.3 Vaas to Pietersen, no run, good length delivery, pitched on middle and leg and shaping back in, Pietersen is beaten comprehensively and the ball hits the pad right in front of the stumps, pleading appeal for lbw turned down by umpire Aleem Dar - that looked out!

Rob H
11th May 2006, 21:21
Great start for us. Great to see Tres come back with a 100. And here comes the reverse swing conversation with bumble and beefy.

Rob H
11th May 2006, 21:25
244 is the new nelson, can't get off it

Rob H
11th May 2006, 21:32
Cannot score off murali for toffee. He's just bamboozling us.

Rob H
11th May 2006, 21:37
Atherton and Gower, ah bliss.

Billy
11th May 2006, 21:55
Vass traps Pietersen LBW for 4.

But umpire Dar says not out.

SHAMBLES.

I didn't actually pick that one up myself.. how I don't know, as it was plumb.

I got the two against Tres first up though.

Big Mac
11th May 2006, 22:01
Yeah the first one against Banger was the worst, there's just no possible reason for not giving it out :D

Rob H
11th May 2006, 22:17
50 for Pietersen. 52 off 91 balls, 9 fours.

James
11th May 2006, 22:19
Nice half century just completed from KP, our innings was set up by a great knock by Tres, and Cookie has played superbly. Strauss played nicely as well. Very very pleasing day, I wish I had been there considering the weather and the quality of shotplay.

James
11th May 2006, 22:20
91 balls? Cricinfo has his SR as 85...

Pathan007
11th May 2006, 22:21
50 for Pietersen. 52 off 91 balls, 9 fours.61balls

James
Pietersen caught off no ball...ahahahahahaha

Why we ever considered dropping the luckiest batsman in England during the Ashes is beyond me.

Rob H
sorry, was 61. Just caught off a no ball. Was a great catch by Murbarak too.

James
11th May 2006, 22:22
Considering the no ball and the plumb lbw, this is shaping up to be a KP century. SL have had zero luck today, its harsh really.

James
11th May 2006, 22:23
Cook caught behind, shame he couldn't get the century.

What a weird over.

Rob H
11th May 2006, 22:23
Cook gone now, poor shot. Chased a short and wide one. Out for 89.

James
11th May 2006, 22:24
He is a gritty and talented young man, he will learn. What is his average in tests now, must be massive, though it will obviously drop.

z10
11th May 2006, 22:25
Bopara for England!

James
11th May 2006, 22:27
Will Hoggster reach his fifty before the close of play? Watch this space...

Rob H
11th May 2006, 22:28
Bopara for England!
go preach somewhere else :P

James
11th May 2006, 22:34
Hoggard got a run off a seamer :O

jusarrived
11th May 2006, 22:35
though cook got ton against us I wasnt vry impressed with his batting..thot he had vry limited shots....din watch todays knock,it cud have been nerves as it was his first series in India though!

Amjid Javed
11th May 2006, 22:36
Eng 317/3 and the slaughter has already begun 1 day into the series...!

z10
11th May 2006, 22:36
cook is a limited player

James
11th May 2006, 22:38
His knock today was a beauty. He played a superb no.3 innings, played all the bowlers well with a dead straight bat.

His knocks against India will have given him more confidence to use his arsenal, he played some lovely shots today.

The lad is a great find, and serious competition among the top 3 batting positions can only be good for us.

Rob H
11th May 2006, 22:41
single to hoggy. Doing his job.

Easa
11th May 2006, 22:42
Cook is so damn boring to watch.

It might be effective for his team - buts its absolutely tedious to us supporters!

He has two shots - a nudge and a cut.

James
11th May 2006, 22:43
We could do with a boring batsman who plays a few shots all day and is prepared to block for ages. Aussies have Langer, India have Dravid, we have Cook.

We have more than enough shotplayers, having Cook balances the team. As long as he is getting runs then its no problem.

Rob H
11th May 2006, 22:45
318/3 at close. Well played lads.

James
11th May 2006, 22:47
We need to be looking at 500 on board and a few Lankan wickets by tomorrow's close. I'm happy.

z10
11th May 2006, 22:49
We could do with a boring batsman who plays a few shots all day and is prepared to block for ages. Aussies have Langer, India have Dravid, we have Cook.

We have more than enough shotplayers, having Cook balances the team. As long as he is getting runs then its no problem.

the difference between Cook and Dravid/ Langer is that Dravid and Langer both are quality batsmen who can play all shots but choose to play the steady role allowing others to attack around them but Cook has no choice, he is just that limited a player.

James
11th May 2006, 22:52
You can have your own views but like I say, as long as he is getting runs and helping attacking players express themselves, then he is really very hard to drop. What are his test scores so far, something like this:

104*

For any player that would be good, but for someone so young it is amazing.

HAFRIDI
11th May 2006, 23:01
Langer aint even boring.

Billy
11th May 2006, 23:11
the difference between Cook and Dravid/ Langer is that Dravid and Langer both are quality batsmen who can play all shots but choose to play the steady role allowing others to attack around them but Cook has no choice, he is just that limited a player.

Rubbish.

He may not play all the shots all the time but when you've seen a bit more of him you'll realise he's got all the shots he needs. It's true he doesn't sweep and he's not on to pull too often but I've yet to see him in a situation where he hasn't got the shots for the job.

sehsan
11th May 2006, 23:13
great inning by cook, he is a great find for england. England need that kind of player as they have too many stroker makers in the team

dan hudson
11th May 2006, 23:14
Cook's first-class batting strike rate is 56 whilst Bopara's is 43 which is food for thought.

Last season Cook scored 214 from 238 balls against Australia in a tour match.

He's not limited at all, Andy Flower rates him so highly because he feels can play off both feet and all around the wicket.

He's settling into international cricket by accumulating (a lot) of runs, in time I think he will blossom into the stroke player he is at county level. Michael Clarke took a similar step when he moved up from U19s international cricket to state cricket.

Easa
11th May 2006, 23:27

Dravid, even while being boring, can come up with a sublime shot or two. His drives are a treat to watch and he is a very good player off his legs.

Langer is not boring.

Easa
11th May 2006, 23:28
I'd prefer Shah to be in the team ahead of Cook.

93 and 39 in his only test and dropped?

Big Harvey
12th May 2006, 00:05

I agree that Shah looked a class act in Mumbai. However he was only playing because Cook had a stomach bug (he was not the only one :31: ), and I'm totally with the selectors on Cook's selection at number 3. Someone else made the point about Cook adding balance to the side, and I agree 100%. We have plenty of attacking batsmen, but the main thing that was lacking in Pakistan was someone who was prepared to dig in and graft. Cook is our man who can do this, and is a superb and much needed addition to our armoury.

I'm very excited at the amount of talent we have at our disposal in the batting department at the moment, and the intensity of competition for places can only be a good thing.

I am a bit concerned about our lack of fit bowlers, though....

Rob H
12th May 2006, 00:16

89 today. Your arguement has no facts for ousting Cook, just getting in Shah.

z10
12th May 2006, 00:18
billy:

i have played against both Cook and Bopara in club matches and can, therefore, justifiably rate Bopara higher

Easa
12th May 2006, 01:14
89 today. Your arguement has no facts for ousting Cook, just getting in Shah.

Errm, Shah has only played one test match.

He didn't fail in either innings - in fact in the 1st innings he was denied a hundred by an absolute gaffe in the slips.

Cook, on the other hand, has played 3 test matches. In his second test match, he made 17 and 7 and he still played today. Shah made 93 and 37 and he didn't play.

:20:

Oxy
12th May 2006, 01:24
billy:

i have played against both Cook and Bopara in club matches and can, therefore, justifiably rate Bopara higherI dont think 'Subway eating' contests count z10 :P

Rob H
12th May 2006, 01:44
Errm, Shah has only played one test match.

He didn't fail in either innings - in fact in the 1st innings he was denied a hundred by an absolute gaffe in the slips.

Cook, on the other hand, has played 3 test matches. In his second test match, he made 17 and 7 and he still played today. Shah made 93 and 37 and he didn't play.

:20:
so what you are basically saying is that Cook shouldn't be picked because he got a 7 and 17 in one game ::J .

z10
12th May 2006, 01:45
I dont think 'Subway eating' contests count z10 :P

my mistake, i hereby retract the earlier statement :21:

Amjid Javed
12th May 2006, 01:47
England got thru a sticky patch early on and have built up a solid start and also scored as a good rate. This wicket will get harder, quicker and drier as game goes on as sun beats down on it. I expect sri lanka to find batting here alot tougher when their turn comes.

Easa
12th May 2006, 02:22
so what you are basically saying is that Cook shouldn't be picked because he got a 7 and 17 in one game ::J .

My point isn't to oust Cook from the side.

My point is to atleast have Shah in the thirteen, if Cook makes the playing eleven.

I didn't say that Cook should be dropped.

pakistani pride
12th May 2006, 02:30
Good display ! by eng and about the cook argument well he scored 89 so he did his bit

give credit where one deserves credit.

About Dravid well didnt the indians cry that he is sooooooo slooooooww after the draw versus eng ?

Officer Barbrady
12th May 2006, 02:33
I agree that Shah looked a class act in Mumbai.

I haven't seen him (or Cook) bat, but that statement is food for thought.

It doesn't matter who got the 80 and who got 100. I'd want the better player, the better talent, to be in the side irrespective.

I've seen a clip or two of Tremlett and he is impressive. He's also fit again and playing county again and should get a mention during the summer.

That makes Flintoff, Hoggard, Mahmood, Tremlett. That should be enough until the others are fit.

Has anyone seen Caddick recently? He still is picking up wickets and is probably the best known cricketer in recent times (non-subcontinent) who never retired from int. cricket.

Officer Barbrady
12th May 2006, 02:34
Personally I think Bell should have dropped from the squad.

Easa
12th May 2006, 02:35
I haven't seen him (or Cook) bat, but that statement is food for thought.

It doesn't matter who got the 80 and who got 100. I'd want the better player, the better talent, to be in the side irrespective.

I've seen a clip or two of Tremlett and he is impressive. He's also fit again and playing county again and should get a mention during the summer.

That makes Flintoff, Hoggard, Mahmood, Tremlett. That should be enough until the others are fit.

Has anyone seen Caddick recently? He still is picking up wickets and is probably the best known cricketer in recent times (non-subcontinent) who never retired from int. cricket.

Trust me - Shah is the better talent.

Cook has three shots - forward defensive, nudge, cut. Nothing else.

Shah on the other hand can play any shot in the book, is brilliant against spinners and off his legs, and has a marvelous pull shot.

I agree with you that it doesn't matter who made 80 and who made 100.

Easa
12th May 2006, 02:37
I've seen Tremlett bowl once - in his ODI debut against the Banglas.

He looked impressive - gets good bounce, has a good line and length, and seams the ball just enough.

Good prospect.

dan hudson
12th May 2006, 02:45
Shah just doesn't look as natural as Cook, in my opinion.

Cook makes batting look easy.

Team Slayer
12th May 2006, 03:45
Owais is weak in driving in the arc from mid-off to point IMO. Good bowlers and captains will work him out as he uses too much bottom hand in his drives, which is why I feel he isn't the man to play 3 (maybe 5 or 6). Haven't seen Cook extensively, but I feel he is the right man for 3 (Vaughn was useless at 3) because of his neat technique.

Bell is not all that IMO, neither is Collingwood. But to Collingwood's credit, he's made runs recently and thus deserves to play. The question is, who's gonna sit when Vaughn returns?

Oxy
12th May 2006, 03:46
The question is, who's gonna sit when Vaughn returns?

Just heard that Vaugan is also out of the NEXT test....

Team Slayer
12th May 2006, 03:49
Vaughn should do a Hussain and retire...i dont feel he is good enough to get into the team as a batsman alone (especially with those weak knees). We might see a ganguly-like situation arising in the England camp before the Ashes, esp. if Vaughn gets owned in the Pak series.

Officer Barbrady
12th May 2006, 05:03
Vaughn should do a Hussain and retire...i dont feel he is good enough to get into the team as a batsman alone (especially with those weak knees). We might see a ganguly-like situation arising in the England camp before the Ashes, esp. if Vaughn gets owned in the Pak series.

Vaughan is a good player and playing in Australia suits him best. Don't write him off just yet. He should be a certainty if fit.

I hope to see a 150+ from him in the summer.

Strauss and Flintoff should enjoy batting in Australia as well though.

Officer Barbrady
12th May 2006, 05:06

Also I'd say this situation is very different from the Ganguly affair. Vaughan had a fairly good Ashes (his last proper series) while Ganguly had been struggling for a long time.

But more importantly Ganguly's side had stagnated and in fact in decline (begging for change) while Vaughan's team has been rising under his captaincy.

Team Slayer
12th May 2006, 08:19
Vaughan is a good player and playing in Australia suits him best. Don't write him off just yet. He should be a certainty if fit.

I hope to see a 150+ from him in the summer.

Strauss and Flintoff should enjoy batting in Australia as well though.

Also I'd say this situation is very different from the Ganguly affair. Vaughan had a fairly good Ashes (his last proper series) while Ganguly had been struggling for a long time.

But more importantly Ganguly's side had stagnated and in fact in decline (begging for change) while Vaughan's team has been rising under his captaincy.

Yes he is a good player, but with his injuries and indifferent form, its gonna be hard for him to demand a position in the team. He needs to hit a purple patch and he needs to hit it quick, for the sake of his career.

For him to get any runs in the summer, he needs to get fit first! I don't think he'll make the SL series on current fitness. Suppose he comes back from injury against Pak and replaces Cook, and then he does not do too well...that's gonna raise questions about his position in the team because they have an inform batsman (cook) sitting on the bench. Also, with Freddy looking good as stand-in captain, it just increases the pressure on Vaughn.

This potential situation is very similar to the Ganguly situation (out of form captain, in-form Yuvraj on the bench and Dravid impressing as stand-in captain).

Officer Barbrady
12th May 2006, 08:30
Suppose he comes back from injury against Pak and replaces Cook, and then he does not do too well...that's gonna raise questions about his position in the team because they have an inform batsman (cook) sitting on the bench. Also, with Freddy looking good as stand-in captain, it just increases the pressure on Vaughn.

Don't worry about that, we are planning for a 150+ score in the summer to help him settle back in.

He'll be fine.

This potential situation is very similar to the Ganguly situation (out of form captain, in-form Yuvraj on the bench and Dravid impressing as stand-in captain).

I think what really counted against Ganguly was that the team under his captaincy wasn't doing nearly as well as it once did.

Team Slayer
12th May 2006, 08:34
:)) Marooned. What if its just a score of 150 and the rest are single digit scores, hain hain?

Officer Barbrady
12th May 2006, 08:39
:)) Marooned. What if its just a score of 150 and the rest are single digit scores, hain hain?

One big score will take care of the captaincy issues.

Also I feel he's the one with the real chance of scoring runs in Australia. He's the most successful batsman there in recent history and the bit of bounce minus the movement both suit his batting.

And he plays spin well.

Easa
12th May 2006, 14:00
England will look to get 500+ today with Pietersen at the crease and Freddie and Geraint Jones still to come.

Srilanka need to make some early breakthroughs today, to stay in the game.

Easa
12th May 2006, 15:34
Srilanka need to dismiss Hoggard early, he can be a bit of a pain in the neck.

Looking forward to Pietersen's batting today.

Easa
12th May 2006, 15:36
Two from Vaas's first over

Tidy start.

320-3

Easa
12th May 2006, 15:53
Hoggard bowled, beautiful bowling by Vaas.

327-4

Where is everybody todaY?

UJ
12th May 2006, 16:04
In comes Mr Collingwood

SL need to get Pieterson otherwise this could be a really huge total

Easa
12th May 2006, 16:42
Pietersen looking set for a huge score.

He's in his 70's.

jusarrived
12th May 2006, 16:44
I think match will end draw!

Billy
12th May 2006, 16:59
I wonder how KP will throw it away this time..

Billy
12th May 2006, 17:02
A streaky outside edge for the hundred... well played Kevin.

Easa
12th May 2006, 17:10
Hundred up for Kevin P.

One of the best players in the world currently, I'm sure he'll go on to even greater achievments.

Well played England.

James
12th May 2006, 19:34
Seems straightforward to me, get some more runs then insert Lankans for a tricky hour or two before close of play. Even if we collapsed now we have lots of runs.

England have a better attack than Lankans and Lankan's batting isnt as strong as what England have, so we have a better chance of 20 wickets than them, but it just seems like a drawn match pitch to help our batsmen settle back into home conditions. You never know though.

Easily Pietersen's best innings except the Oval - he is learning, and as good a boundary hitter as he is, he is also proving himself just as adept at going for singles and twos when the bowling is quality. E.g. there was a tricky period from Muralitharin and Dilshan after lunch when everything got rather slow, the old Pietersen would have thrown it away I think, but he just eased through it and got to the 150. I hope everyone is starting to see why England fans value this guy so much. Has the talent to become one of the best all-round England batsman for a long time.

Oxy
12th May 2006, 19:40
Flintoffs in a hurry - captains responsibility.

Oxy
12th May 2006, 19:50
England declared: 551-6

Flintoff makes Hussain and Bumble look a bit foolish....they were talkinga bout getting to tea and talking about it (with coach and VC I presume?) - yet he Freddie sees the opportunity and takes it.

No messing about.

I'm impressed!!

James
12th May 2006, 19:50
Amazing shot by Flintoff brings the declaration, 550 came up with a six. We're gonna see a nasty period here for the Lankans after an early teatime, a bad start to their innings will probably lead to the follow on.

Who should open the bowling, Hoggard and Flintoff I think. Might as well have your best bowlers on when the ball is shiny.

Oxy
12th May 2006, 19:53
Hoggard and Flintoff - cause some initial mayhem, then bring on the newbie...

James
12th May 2006, 20:14
Early indications have showed that there is something in this pitch for Hoggard. Maybe Lankans just dont even quality seam bowling at the moment, the amount of pace is pretty limited for them. Murali may be top quality but he can't bowl out teams on his own.

James
12th May 2006, 20:21
Lankans 0-1, Hoggard inswinger gets a leg before decision, probably a sign of things to come. Its such a difficult situation for the SL batsmen in this game now, they are never any good in English conditions and there are already 500 runs on the board which piles on the pressure.

spongebob
12th May 2006, 20:31
England should get a couple more wickets before end of play.

Oxy
12th May 2006, 20:48
2 LBWs for England - Rudi by any chance???

Rob H
12th May 2006, 21:07
Very miffed i missed Pietersen's brilliance and bit of Freddie fun but it's good to see us with early scalps. This partnership is vital between Sanga and Jayawardene (Nasser Hussein calling him jaya-ward-dena :))) ) for the Sri Lankans.

Rob H
12th May 2006, 21:44
Flintoff into "the groove". Beating Sangakkara's edge often.

jusarrived
12th May 2006, 21:49
it will be nice if these two get centuries....both batsmen are good to watch,especially sanaga...n my prediction of draw wil come true :D

Rob H
12th May 2006, 21:59
Jayawardene dropped by Jones diving to his right. Tough chance.

Rob H
12th May 2006, 22:06
great to see Mahmood get the prize scalp. Well taken Trescothick too.

HAFRIDI
12th May 2006, 22:08
I love watching Hoggard bowl, the thing i like about him is that he's not afraid of pitching it up.

HAFRIDI
12th May 2006, 22:10
Congrats Mahmood on ur first test victim- an a top player too is sanga !

Rob H
12th May 2006, 22:12
WOO HOO Mahmood gets Samaraweera lbw. Coming down the slope. Beautiful bowling.

sehsan
12th May 2006, 22:13
sajid cha geha hai

Rob H
12th May 2006, 22:20
run out now. Brilliant running i must say :D

Rob H
12th May 2006, 22:21
Chamara Kapugedera in now. Bang bang lads. This kid don't hang about.

Rob H
12th May 2006, 22:22
LBW first ball. Mahmood gets him with full toss. Come on England. 85/6

HAFRIDI
12th May 2006, 22:22
wowwww Mahmood on fireeeee!!!!

Easa
12th May 2006, 22:30
Well bowled Mahmood.

pakistani pride
12th May 2006, 22:35
awsome inswinging ! ! !

jusarrived
12th May 2006, 22:40
it will be nice if these two get centuries....both batsmen are good to watch,especially sanaga...n my prediction of draw wil come true :D

obviously someone else logged in with my ID :D

Easa
12th May 2006, 22:45
Go off for bad light.

91-6

Well played England!

pakistani pride
12th May 2006, 22:50
what speed was he bowling at ?

Amjid Javed
12th May 2006, 22:55
Oh well as expected Sri lankans batting is show up on a wicket with latteral movement this was expected.

intresting to see how pakistans openers cope when it comes to touring here.

Rob H
12th May 2006, 22:59
Oh well as expected Sri lankans batting is show up on a wicket with latteral movement this was expected.

intresting to see how pakistans openers cope when it comes to touring here.
it won't swing as much unless it's a raging greentop. I think players who havent adapted to playing on such a slope at Lord's might struggle.

Billy
12th May 2006, 23:00

Average about 87mph, fastest was 90mph.

He tired in his last over though, something I've seen him do often enough to suggest he needs to work on his fitness.

Easa
12th May 2006, 23:01

85-88 MPH regularly.

pak4life
12th May 2006, 23:01

85-90

jusarrived
12th May 2006, 23:02
Thot the pitch was vry flat...vaas hardly got any movement from the pitch!

Amjid Javed
12th May 2006, 23:11
it won't swing as much unless it's a raging greentop. I think players who havent adapted to playing on such a slope at Lord's might struggle.

I expect lords to be just like this when pakistan arrive. Headingley will be a green seamer as usual.

Old trafford is usually a good ground for pakistan as it tends to be very dry and good for batting, allows for spin and reverse swing.

Oval will be bouncy and hard as usual.

Pakistans batsmen will have to bat well and also adapt when they tour.

Gujar
12th May 2006, 23:20
Sajid's quickest was 90.2MPH and he was consistenly in the 86-88MPH range until he tired a bit.

Somali Pirate
12th May 2006, 23:21
is this the same place where mcgrath got 5-10 at one point last year?

Amjid Javed
12th May 2006, 23:34
is this the same place where mcgrath got 5-10 at one point last year?

yeah!

Officer Barbrady
13th May 2006, 00:17
Sajid is likely to play, a good move I think though I'd have liked to see Owais playing as well.

And seems to be doing well and has looked a better prospect than Plunkett in the very little I have seen of him.

Pietersen's scores are expected. It will also help the stat-fans realize his worth.

He will be amongst the top two or three batsmen of the next decade.

z10
13th May 2006, 00:30
those who saw pietersen play, was he at his best?

Rob H
13th May 2006, 00:38
those who saw pietersen play, was he at his best?
from what i saw of the highlights (can't watch at the hellhole) he wasn't at his best. When comparing it to him to say the Oval last year or some of his ODI innings in Pakistan and India he was a gear down.

Billy
13th May 2006, 00:40
He looked in fine form to me until Murali set those 7-2 legside fields and then KP got frustrated and started trying all sorts of improvised shots, most of which didn't come off.

KP Pietersen LBW b.Boredom 158

Rob H
13th May 2006, 00:43
He looked in fine form to me until Murali set those 7-2 legside fields and then KP got frustrated and started trying all sorts of improvised shots, most of which didn't come off.
the analyst at work :)

Officer Barbrady
13th May 2006, 00:47
KP Pietersen LBW b.Boredom 158

:91:

Officer Barbrady
13th May 2006, 01:25
Just saw Day 1 highlights, a very good, solid inning from Tresco.

Pietersen looked like, well, Pietersen.

Saw Cook for the first time and he also played quite well.

James
13th May 2006, 03:10
It depends what you define as Pietersen's best. If you define it as hitting a million boundaries, being dropped 5 times and having a strike rate of 100+, it wasnt that. However, if you define it as competently building an innings and putting a price on his wicket, then it was definitely that. More calm temperemant like that and his average will just get better and better, bear in mind calm by KP's standards still means he will hit some 4s and sixes.

He has helped put what looks like a match-winning total on board for England, really hard not to get excited about what this lad could bring to English cricket over his career.

James
13th May 2006, 13:54
So do we have any Lankan fans here. What are your thoughts on your test team at this present time?

Amjid Javed
13th May 2006, 15:16
Day 3 about to be start... i expect game to be over if there a is a full days play.

Rob H
13th May 2006, 15:37
What a shot from Maharoof. Was just a gentle push.

Amjid Javed
13th May 2006, 15:38
Jayawadena continuing to play his shots, hasnt found the gap yet thou!

Rob H
13th May 2006, 15:40
Maharoof gets lucky, trying to leave it and gets a flying edge of slips. 100 up, 103/6

Rob H
13th May 2006, 15:49
Collingwood, 2 on the trot. Brilliant fielding.

James
13th May 2006, 15:51
Monty with a stop! :O

Easa
13th May 2006, 16:05
120-6

Good 50 by Jayawardeme, Maharoof giving him good support,

Rob H
13th May 2006, 16:05
great cut shot there by Maharoof. Sri Lanka started well.

Oxy
13th May 2006, 16:08
Bootha's started his 'so and so is a reverse swing bowler' and listed about 20 Eng bolwers who can do it! - coming from his mouth is so rich bearing in mind his libellous comments on the subject in the 1990s. Now hes an expert on a subject he once thought was illegal!

Rob H
13th May 2006, 16:10
Monty with a stop! :O
Monty Panesar's fine leg fan club :D

Amjid Javed
13th May 2006, 16:11
S.L 129/6

Partnership of 44.. (needs a partnership ot 200 plus here lol...)

Oxy
13th May 2006, 16:12
Hoggardd laughing as he comes into bowl - great stuff!

Oxy
13th May 2006, 16:13
c&b by Hoggy - the laughing paid off, and his 200th test wkt!

Rob H
13th May 2006, 16:13
Congrats Hoggy, 200 test wickets. What a way to do it too. :D

Amjid Javed
13th May 2006, 16:15
Mahroof gone c & b to hoggard

200th test wicket congrats!

Amjid Javed
13th May 2006, 16:16
Time seems to fly it seems like only yesterday hoggy was making his debut @ lords v pakistan.

Amjid Javed
13th May 2006, 16:18
Jayawardena fighting a lone battle in middle.

Rob H
13th May 2006, 16:20
Bumble frustrated he can't say anthing in the crappy 3rd man spot.

Rob H
13th May 2006, 16:20
What a ripper, Freddie gets Jayawardene, brilliant bowling.

Amjid Javed
13th May 2006, 16:21
Jayawardena goes to a rip snorter from flintoff.

well made 61.

S.L 131/8

Oxy
13th May 2006, 16:21
Beauty from Freddie - unplayable. Could Eng win it TODAY????

Rob H
13th May 2006, 16:24
Is Nasser saying Chavinda Vaas?

Easa
13th May 2006, 16:27
Can someone describe the Jayawardene dismissal? Thanks.

Easa
13th May 2006, 16:29
131-8

Rob H
13th May 2006, 16:29
Edge, dropped by Cook, went up in the air again and Strauss can't make it.

Oxy
13th May 2006, 16:46
Another simple chance spilled by Strauss in the slips off Blunkett

Rob H
13th May 2006, 16:50
Another simple chance spilled by Strauss in the slips off Blunkett
Very harsh to call him that :9:

Rob H
13th May 2006, 16:51
spanking cover drive, what a shot from Kalusekera

Rob H
13th May 2006, 16:52
4 more, slower ball and dispatched to that cover boundary

Oxy
13th May 2006, 17:08
Jonty Panesar doing the biz in the field....

Oxy
13th May 2006, 17:08
Very harsh to call him that :9:
oops - I did mean Plunket!

zaf1986
13th May 2006, 17:21
Could SL hang on for a draw? Tomorrow is heavy rain...

Rob H
13th May 2006, 17:22
edged and gone. Very good catch by Trescothick. Hoggard does it again. Vaas gone.

Rob H
13th May 2006, 17:26
192 all out. Good short bowling from Freddy and all over.

Rob H
13th May 2006, 18:24
Murbarak bowled by Hoggard playing on.

Rob H
13th May 2006, 19:23
54/1 good start for the Lankans

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:04
Sri Lanka 115-1, I smell a wicket now.

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:08
Can SL bat any slower?

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:09
GONE!

Panesar STRIKES!!!!!

Tharangas gone!

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:09
Tharanga gone for 52, brilliant knock, when SL needed it, but he should have stayed

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:11
Jayawardene walks in for Sri Lanka, Avg 46, top scorer in the first innings.

He's gotta stay at the crease till the end of the day, for SL to have any chance of not losing!

Big Mac
13th May 2006, 21:11
Jonty Panesar :11:

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:15
My 500th Post!!!!

Oh wow, that was close to bowling Jayawardene, and that would be disaster for Sri Lanka!

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:17
Good save by Panesar, could have gone for four!

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:18
Back to the defensive method, Sri Lanka, or how I like to call it, the boring method unless Pakistan is playing

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:19
England 551-6 dec,

SL 192 + 120-2

Sri Lanka are 239 runs behind!

Not looking good, maybe rain can save Sri Lanka

Sangakkara still on 46!

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:21
Why has the crowd all of a sudden gotten so loud?

BEATS THE OUTSIDE EDGE!!

Hoggard does drugs - happy pills :)))

Big Mac
13th May 2006, 21:21
Crowd got loud cos Gerrard equalised in the FA Cup final

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:22
BEAUTIFUL SHOT BY JAYAWARDENE!

I mean, what a shot. Balanced, and smacked it through the covers!

SL 124-2

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:23
Gerrad? Who are they?!

Rob H
13th May 2006, 21:25
Gerrad? Who are they?!
FA cup final, Gerrard scored to make it 3-3.

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:26
Man, from the stump cam, the boundary looks so short. Against Panesar, I think the best shot would be sweeping him, for the left handers (Sangakkara).

Panesar is bowling off spin into the left hander, so it would be quite easy to sweep him, or slog sweep him to the boundary.

Different case for the right hander, and as soon as I see some more of Panesar, I'll judge on what shot the right hander can play easily

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:26
FA cup final, Gerrard scored to make it 3-3.
Ah....

Ok, football.

Something I'm not interested in :))

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:27
20 overs left in the day!

CUT SHOT! BEAUTIFUL SHOT, but cut off by the man on the boundary!

Big Mac
13th May 2006, 21:28
Gerrad? Who are they?!

Exactly

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:30
OMG, you won't believe what I just saw.

ATN gets their feed from Dish Network!

ATN took off their logo, for a sec, and it said Dish Network!!!

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:32
Drinks Break - SL 127-2.

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:36
I fount out a shot for the right handers, back foot cover drive!

Panesar is bowling a bit short, so it's possible to either pull the ball, or go on the backfoot, and hit it through the covers!

AND THEY FOLLOW MY ADVICE! THATS FOUR!

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:37
Now that I look at it, it was pretty close to my advice, as the ball kept a little low, so a backfoot cut shot looked better I guess

Sri Lanka 131-2

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:38
Liam Plunketts on,

lol, theyre saying that Plunkett failed in Pakistan because he had to bowl on flat pitches!

What a stop by Pietersen! That was always gonna be four, but well stopped

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:39
Full toss by Plunkett, shudve been put away!

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:40
Man, that ball went down the legside, that shud have been put away as well by Jayawardene.

He's really being defensive!

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:41
Another full toss by Plunkett, this is rediculous by Jayawardene, and Plunkett keeps bowling the full tosses...

Somethings gotta give, a wicket or a four!

BEAUTIFUL SHOT BY JAYAWARDENE, FINALLY!

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:42
Hahaha, that fat man almost fell out of the crowd, and onto the ground

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:43
Sangakkara gives Panesar the charge!

I think Panesar has found out his weakness, hes not bowling wide, and getting the ball into the batsman anymore

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:44
Sangakkaras 50 off 121 balls, 4 fours, 0 sixes, low strike rate!

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:48
good running, 138-2

zMario
13th May 2006, 21:56
Flintoffs back into the attack!

Rob H
13th May 2006, 21:59
zMario, when the end of play comes around can you turn the lights off?

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:01
I thought it would have been four when Jayawardene hit that, but I think they got 3,

147-2, well fielded by Pietersen, coming from square leg!

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:03
Good shot by Jayawardene, and the fielder messed it up a bit, Pietersen.

BEAUTIFUL SHOT AGAIN!

However, he doesnt get a four again

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:03
9 runs from the over, Sri Lanka 153-2!

Run rate of 2.50 in this session, 24 overs, 60 runs, 1 wicket. Very high over rate, 15.3

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:04
Good shot, fine!

It's called leg byes, but they all matter. Flintoff unhappy.

Looked like bat to me!

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:05
CHANCE OF A RUN OUT!!

Well, omg it almost went for four!

Hahahhaa!

Actually, it hit his bat!

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:07
Classical shot by Sangakkara, FOUR MORE!

SL 162-2

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:10
Short ball, and padded away to fine leg!

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:11
Sent back, but he was safe I think!

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:11
Excellent running, Excellent fielding by Collingwood. SL 167-2

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:12
Outside edge, FOUR for Sangakkara!

SL 171-2!

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:31
Slow goings for Sri Lanka now, theyre 178-2!

Big Mac
13th May 2006, 22:31
Jonyy Panesar makes it 178/3

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:32
OUT! Sangakkaras gone!

Outside edge to Panesar, and Jones takes a good catch!

BIG HUGE WICKET! THIS COULD CHANGE THE MATCH!

Sangakkara gone for 65!

Big Mac
13th May 2006, 22:33
ahahaha change the match?!? What game are you watching

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:33
Nightwatchman sent out,

Maharoof walks in, and I have a feeling that he'll get out today!

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:34
Well, it'll make it easier for England to roll over the Lankans

That changes the match doesn't it?

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:35
HES GONE!!!!

I told you!

Nope, Maharoof survives!

Easa
13th May 2006, 22:36
zMario talking to himself. :))

Calm down there.

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:37
Hmmm, Aleem Dar gets a decision wrong!

Big Mac
Well, it'll make it easier for England to roll over the Lankans

That changes the match doesn't it?

They were getting smashed before Sangakkara got out. They're still getting smashed.

Match has changed how exactly?

zMario
zMario talking to himself. :))

Calm down there.
Well, nobodys here watching the match, so I'm all alone!

Billy
13th May 2006, 22:38
A very flat bowling display from the England seamers. Certainly Flintoff seems to be pacing himself for a long summer.

Monty never fails to cheer me up though, 2 wickets and he should have had a third.

Oh and Liverpool winning the cup helps of course..:D

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:44
Man, I'm wondering if SL has become weaker, or England has become better...

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:45
Good shot, Maharoof gets FOUR!

zMario
13th May 2006, 22:49
Close of play, Sri Lanka 183-3, 35 overs bowled in this session, 90 runs, 2 wickets.

DAY 3 has ended, and well, England will look to wrap the game up tomorrow

HAFRIDI
14th May 2006, 00:05
http://www.zippyvideos.com/6695989255115646/sajid_chucks/

What a reverse swinging delivery from Sajid dismissing the lad for 0 on Debut

Rob H
14th May 2006, 15:54
200/3

Hashim
14th May 2006, 15:57
Come on Sri Lanka make comback!!!

Defenite this game is match-fixed...