PDA

View Full Version : This 17-Year-Old Girl Works 9 Jobs, Supports Brother With Cancer, And Scored 85 Percent In Exams

IgnitedMind
26th May 2015, 21:35
This year may have shown the best results for Karnataka's class 12 students, with girls outperforming boys yet again this year, but it's a different kind of victory for 17-year-old Shalini A.

As the Science topper celebrated her 99.1 percent score in north Bengaluru, a few kilometres away this Mariyappanapalya resident quietly toiled away working as a domestic help in at least eight part-time jobs, and as a cleaner at an office. During her time off, she tended to her sick father, finished housework, and studied for her upcoming exams.

On Monday, she scored 84.8 percent in the science stream. Now, she's preparing for the Common Entrance Test, a competitive exam for admissions in medical, dental and engineering courses in professional colleges in India.

A Difficult Road

Shalini's journey has been fraught with struggles early on. She has changed her medium of instruction thrice already she started in a Tamil medium school, moved to Kannada, and then started learning in English just a couple of years back.

She told Bangalore Mirror that her father has been bed-ridden since she was seven years old, after he fell off a building. While he has regained some movement now, he is still restricted to staying at home.

For years, her mother worked as a domestic help in several houses so she could provide for Shalini and her younger brother. But early this year, her brother was diagnosed with third stage blood cancer, dealing a serious blow to the already-strained family circumstances.

The responsibility came on young Shalini's shoulders to help her mother cope with the new setback. While the two divided time between Shalini's brother at hospital and her father at home Shalini always with a book in her hands she also had to take over all of her mother's part-time jobs.

"If I had not put in so much time in the hospital, I might have scored better," she told the Mirror. "But my brother is more important to me than marks."

An Impossible Schedule

Every morning, the teenager wakes up at 4.30 am to complete household chores before she has to rush off to five houses in the neighbourhood to water plants and draw 'Rangoli' (auspicious floor patterns) in front of the houses.

By 6 am, it is time for her to head to an office, where she scrubs the floors and the bathrooms before the staff comes to work. At 7.30 am, it's time for her to wash clothes at another house.

By 9 am, when she's home, she has time to study for the CET for the next three and a half hours, all the time keeping an eye on any other work that needs to be done in her own house. She then goes to work at two more houses, comes back at 4.30 pm, and studies till 6 pm.

She works for the rest of the evening in different houses, returning at night to study till about midnight. The next day, it's the same all over again.

The remarkable teenager said she is happy to support her family, and doesn't mind the hard work. Her next goal is to crack the CET and get into a good college, and spoke in praise of her teachers who have helped her along the way.

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/05/19/karnataka-girl-pu-exams_n_7310932.html

www787
26th May 2015, 21:40
wow, i shouldn't be complaining anymore.

sensible-indian-fan
26th May 2015, 21:41
Yup saw this in the other forum too.

Great share.

No need for me to comment about this girl. She is an inspiration.

CricketCartoons
26th May 2015, 21:43
What a champion!

Cpt. Rishwat
26th May 2015, 21:44
The plight of...okay I won't go there. Very inspirational.

IgnitedMind
26th May 2015, 21:46
See, these are the people we should be giving all kinds of reservations and support.

kingusama92
26th May 2015, 21:47
Amazing!

Respect to the dedication to her family.

IgnitedMind
26th May 2015, 21:48
financial support***

sensible-indian-fan
26th May 2015, 23:02
I see quite a few people in Western Countries say I work 3 jobs, 5 jobs, etc which makes it look like they work more harder than anyone else.

Not trivializing their efforts but 8 hours is one regular full time job (9-5). If you put in more hours, then its technically more than one job.

Garuda
26th May 2015, 23:52
I saw a quick interview of her few days back after the results were out. She was a very happy girl and was no where showing any sign of burden and was really smiling.

God bless her and give her all the success. She deserves all.

kaayal
26th May 2015, 23:59
Kudos to her to hold on her education and family even after suffering a lot....don't think i will be able to do it.

IgnitedMind
27th May 2015, 00:05
I see quite a few people in Western Countries say I work 3 jobs, 5 jobs, etc which makes it look like they work more harder than anyone else.

Not trivializing their efforts but 8 hours is one regular full time job (9-5). If you put in more hours, then its technically more than one job.

I think comparing 'hardwork' between two people who live and exposed to very varied conditions is one of the bad things human being's do.

I hear people who always say "there are people in africa who...or there are people in third world countries who..." when somebody from the supposedly privileged background or first world countries complain about something in their life...

But it is important for people to understand that one can only express feelings in relation to the environment he/she has grown up in and experiences he has...and everybody has a right to express their hardships without being judged for it...unless it is something super trivial !

For a person who has been in rich countries or who had no need to work hard growing up...working 3 to 4 jobs and going to school is mentally more hard than probably who has been doing that since being a kid and got used it....

CricketCartoons
27th May 2015, 00:14
Kudos to her to hold on her education and family even after suffering a lot....don't think i will be able to do it.

When are you going to start preparing for that exam? I will disown you as my sister otherwise.

Lurker_Ind
27th May 2015, 00:14
Amazing.

Where there is will, there is a way.

sensible-indian-fan
27th May 2015, 00:27
I think comparing 'hardwork' between two people who live and exposed to very varied conditions is one of the bad things human being's do.

I hear people who always say "there are people in africa who...or there are people in third world countries who..." when somebody from the supposedly privileged background or first world countries complain about something in their life...

But it is important for people to understand that one can only express feelings in relation to the environment he/she has grown up in and experiences he has...and everybody has a right to express their hardships without being judged for it...unless it is something super trivial !

For a person who has been in rich countries or who had no need to work hard growing up...working 3 to 4 jobs and going to school is mentally more hard than probably who has been doing that since being a kid and got used it....

Not denying that but I am saying instead of saying they work for so and so hours (standard convention even for citizens of their country who go for a regular job) I hear some people say "I am working 3 jobs or 4 jobs" which leads to a different perception.

Some actually work more than one job (hours point of view) but some don't (even if they work multiple jobs). But when you hear someone say they works 3 jobs, the first thought in your mind is that they are working way more than normal hours (even if reality doesn't point to that).

I always wondered about that aspect. Not talking about whether its easy or tough for them.

Dee1990
27th May 2015, 01:28
Kudos to her..these are the types of people the youth should be taking their inspiration from. Not all these celebrities like kim kardashian etc!

Waseem
27th May 2015, 11:36
Sometimes we complain way too much in life and take things for granted, this is a wake up call and tells us that most of our problems are nothing compared to what these kind of people go through.

What a legend and great inspiration!!

Stallion__
27th May 2015, 11:57
:14::14::14::14::14:

Amazing story.

Have heard a similar one about a CSS officer. Used to wake up 3 o' clock. Get the newspapers and distribute them across the city. Went to college and used to work as a helper in a shop after that. Then he washed cars at public places at evenings at nights.

And people like us keep regretting about lack of facilities! :bash:

iHammad
27th May 2015, 11:57
Truly inspiring.

cricketworm
27th May 2015, 12:06
Her perception of the responsibility and attitude towards it is own different wavelength than most.

Serious competitor. She has like skill of ABDvillers and nerve of MSD. Deadly combo against the hurdles.

cricketworm
27th May 2015, 12:07
on*

sensible-indian-fan
29th May 2015, 05:45
Her perception of the responsibility and attitude towards it is own different wavelength than most.

Serious competitor. She has like skill of ABDvillers and nerve of MSD. Deadly combo against the hurdles.

So true.

Most would crumble in her situation. What determination.

junaid.ahmed
29th May 2015, 15:23
poverty in india :facepalm:

Sherlock
29th May 2015, 15:56
Amazingly brave girl. Fantastic future for ahead for her.

She should be up there as a role model for some of our teenagers.

shaz619
29th May 2015, 19:51
What a fighter, am full of admiration.

who is this girl? maybe we can help her out a bit with some aid

Statsman
29th May 2015, 21:03
Now, she's preparing for the Common Entrance Test, a competitive exam for admissions in medical, dental and engineering courses in professional colleges in India.

I hope this doesn't refer to COMED, one of the biggest education scam of India, operated from Karnataka, through which admissions are done for money (even bidding is done).

Neferpitou
29th May 2015, 21:43
Wow, respect.

IgnitedMind
29th May 2015, 21:55
I hope this doesn't refer to COMED, one of the biggest education scam of India, operated from Karnataka, through which admissions are done for money (even bidding is done).

I think KCET !

COMED is only for a few colleges...and yes I agree with you..COMED is a big trash..they get into these medical colleges in mangalore which offer seats for money...

Cricfan4eva
29th May 2015, 23:13
The girl deserves all the credit she can get. Inspiration to youth these days who complain for the slightest troubles.

Although I couldn't help but notice this line
"If I had not put in so much time in the hospital, I might have scored better," she told the Mirror. "But my brother is more important to me than marks." Why is it all about marks for Indians. Honestly I look around the parents and the school kids today and they're all worried about how much % they'll end up with. Not a lot of emphasis is given on understanding and application of the knowledge they learn.

Mamoon
30th May 2015, 01:54
Amazing, just goes to show that no excuse is valid enough.

CricketCartoons
30th May 2015, 08:35
Although I couldn't help but notice this line Why is it all about marks for Indians. Honestly I look around the parents and the school kids today and they're all worried about how much % they'll end up with. Not a lot of emphasis is given on understanding and application of the knowledge they learn.

Because marks determine which college you get admission to. Easy for guys like you who talk about understanding as if getting marks and acquiring knowledge are mutually exclusive. Not so easy for a poor student who is not just studying for fun, but also to bring herself and her family out of poverty.

The_KING
30th May 2015, 09:17
Great girl

justarslan
30th May 2015, 10:45
May Allah bless her!

Cricfan4eva
30th May 2015, 14:20
Because marks determine which college you get admission to. Easy for guys like you who talk about understanding as if getting marks and acquiring knowledge are mutually exclusive. Not so easy for a poor student who is not just studying for fun, but also to bring herself and her family out of poverty.

I wasn't just pointing it out for this girl. That is the general mentality in Indian students, doesn't matter even if they're from a rich background. It's always about the marks.

tempus123
30th May 2015, 14:34
I wasn't just pointing it out for this girl. That is the general mentality in Indian students, doesn't matter even if they're from a rich background. It's always about the marks.

It has to be about the marks.. don't blame them.. it's a tough competition out there, and scoring less marks is not an option.

CricketCartoons
30th May 2015, 14:39

That is like saying for batsmen it is always about runs. why dont they just enjoy the physics behind the bowling, and the history of the glorious game they are playing.

You have got to do your best in whatever metric is used to measure you.

Cricfan4eva
30th May 2015, 14:46
That is like saying for batsmen it is always about runs. why dont they just enjoy the physics behind the bowling, and the history of the glorious game they are playing.

You have got to do your best in whatever metric is used to measure you.

Wrong analogy.

A batsman doesn't go out there to try and maintain his average. He goes out there to score runs, he improves his technique and puts in hours of practice. As a result average does go up.

Similarly, I'm not saying marks aren't important. But for most focus is not on grasping the concept or understand the application of the knowledge they're learning (which will obviously help you get better marks) but it is on just getting those x% to get into a good school/college. And I'm not blaming the students alone, the way Indian education system is run is the cause for this.

CricketCartoons
30th May 2015, 14:58
Wrong analogy.

A batsman doesn't go out there to try and maintain his average. He goes out there to score runs, he improves his technique and puts in hours of practice. As a result average does go up.

Similarly, I'm not saying marks aren't important. But for most focus is not on grasping the concept or understand the application of the knowledge they're learning (which will obviously help you get better marks) but it is on just getting those x% to get into a good school/college. And I'm not blaming the students alone, the way Indian education system is run is the cause for this.

Unless those students are result of a dubious board (eg bihar board), those who get high marks would have a good understanding of the concepts.

How much did you get in your board exams?