PDA

View Full Version : "Russia & Qatar may lose World Cups" - Fifa official

#GreenRoars
8th June 2015, 21:22
Russia and Qatar could lose the 2018 and 2022 World Cups respectively if evidence emerges of bribery, leading Fifa official Domenico Scala has said.

The countries deny wrongdoing in their bidding processes and Scala admits he has not seen evidence of corruption.

Scala is the head of Fifa's audit and compliance committee.

He said: "Should there be evidence that the awards to Qatar and Russia came only because of bought votes, then the awards could be cancelled."

Speaking to Swiss newspaper Sonntagszeitung, he added: "Until today, the respective evidence has not been provided."

Scala made similar comments at the end of 2013 but in light of events at Fifa in the past two weeks this will be viewed as a more serious warning.

Seven senior Fifa officials were arrested last month in high-profile dawn raids at a Zurich hotel, where they had been staying ahead of their presidential election.

They are among 14 people charged by US prosecutors, who allege they accepted bribes and kickbacks estimated at more than $150m (100m) over a 24-year period.

Swiss authorities have also launched a separate criminal investigation into how the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were allocated.

Sepp Blatter, Fifa president since 1998, was re-elected at the Zurich meeting but announced four days later that he would resign amid the corruption allegations engulfing the organisation,

Source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33041467

the Great Khan
8th June 2015, 21:26
"ah yes Watson the game is afoot"

the ultimate goal of all of these shenanigans is to strip Qatar of the world cup..mark my words..after that happens no world cup will ever be staged in Africa,asia (other than china or japan)...it will be Europe-south America-usa-japan/aus/china...that's about it..over and over...strange how nobody talks about eh corruption in the 2006 wc when south Africa should have won but didn't..thats when the euro block bribed and skullduggeryed there way to a world cup in Europe...also no questions about the 1998 world cup in the US especially since chuck blazer has admitted taking bribes,..the euros set the system up to favour them and when people like the qataris try to get in the club they pout and sneer..

Slog
8th June 2015, 21:56
Good. Qatar never deserved the WC

=

Donal Cozzie
8th June 2015, 22:51
"ah yes Watson the game is afoot"

the ultimate goal of all of these shenanigans is to strip Qatar of the world cup..mark my words..after that happens no world cup will ever be staged in Africa,asia (other than china or japan)...it will be Europe-south America-usa-japan/aus/china...that's about it..over and over...strange how nobody talks about eh corruption in the 2006 wc when south Africa should have won but didn't..thats when the euro block bribed and skullduggeryed there way to a world cup in Europe...also no questions about the 1998 world cup in the US especially since chuck blazer has admitted taking bribes,..the euros set the system up to favour them and when people like the qataris try to get in the club they pout and sneer..

Disagree.

Not denying the existence of corruption in FIFA, odds are all the WC's since the 80s if not earlier have been crooked in some way, but the issue is at least for those WC's the corruption wasnt blatant and there were legitimate footballing reasons for those countries to host.

There isnt a single footballing reason for Qatar to host the tournament.

It also screws up Europe's domestic schedule, the most financially important in football which has probably played a role as well.

But the real thing with Qatar is the blatant exploitation and slavery used of migrant workers. Just look at this

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/3028686/thumbs/o-QATAR-SDEATH-TOLL-570.jpg

As corrupt as SA is and its bid most likely was,

A) They didnt make use of slaves to build the stadiums and actually made sure workers worked in safe conditions.

B) It was Africa's first World Cup

C) Africa has been a decent contributor to past WC's with some decent sides emerging from the continent e.g. Ghana,Ivory Coast, Senegal etc. so it would be a boost to local football as well.

D) Africa doesnt get too many major events.

So while that bid was corrupt, despite the corruption there was still footballing merit behind the decision (even though that WC ended up being one of the worst ever from a fan point of view.

Qatar

a) Treat workers horribly and there's been 1000 deaths already

b) Conditions are not remotely suited for football and player welfare was being ignored

c) Qatari society is probably as far removed from the kind of society football fans want to go to as possible as, lets be honest, most footie fans at a WC go for the atmosphere and partying as much as anything

) Unlike other bids that would've been corrupt, this particular one is so blatantly crooked it couldn't be ignored

e) Much better bids in every single aspect from Australia and even England were overlooked. Both the aforementioned countries have all or most of the stadia necessary and could host it tomorrow if need be, and in Australia's case it'd be great for fans and for spreading the game as a whole. Middle Eastern countries never have and most likely never will be very sporting so odds are after the WC the stadiums built there would end up like Athens after the 2004 Olympics, in ruins.

Point is you can put this down to Europeans sneering on Arabs if you want, I disagree and to me it seems pretty obvious thats not the case. If the Western states wanted a monopoly on WC's Japan and South Korea would'nt have hosted it in 2002.

Not to mention I cant think of a single Middle Eastern or Sub Continental nation remotely suitable for hosting a football WC tbh, interest just isnt there so most likely we'll see it in EU/US/South America with the odd African one for a while until a suitable nation from the other regions (like Japan/South Korea) step up the plate.

Afridian4Life
8th June 2015, 23:04
Qatar should lose the world cup

Russia should not

Spain should hold the next World Cup tbh

the Great Khan
8th June 2015, 23:30
Disagree.

Not denying the existence of corruption in FIFA, odds are all the WC's since the 80s if not earlier have been crooked in some way, but the issue is at least for those WC's the corruption wasnt blatant and there were legitimate footballing reasons for those countries to host.

It also screws up Europe's domestic schedule, the most financially important in football which has probably played a role as well.

But the real thing with Qatar is the blatant exploitation and slavery used of migrant workers. Just look at this

A) They didnt make use of slaves to build the stadiums and actually made sure workers worked in safe conditions.

C) Africa has been a decent contributor to past WC's with some decent sides emerging from the continent e.g. Ghana,Ivory Coast, Senegal etc. so it would be a boost to local football as well.

So while that bid was corrupt, despite the corruption there was still footballing merit behind the decision (even though that WC ended up being one of the worst ever from a fan point of view.

Qatar

b) Conditions are not remotely suited for football and player welfare was being ignored

c) Qatari society is probably as far removed from the kind of society football fans want to go to as possible as, lets be honest, most footie fans at a WC go for the atmosphere and partying as much as anything

) Unlike other bids that would've been corrupt, this particular one is so blatantly crooked it couldn't be ignored

e) Much better bids in every single aspect from Australia and even England were overlooked. Both the aforementioned countries have all or most of the stadia necessary and could host it tomorrow if need be, and in Australia's case it'd be great for fans and for spreading the game as a whole. Middle Eastern countries never have and most likely never will be very sporting so odds are after the WC the stadiums built there would end up like Athens after the 2004 Olympics, in ruins.

Point is you can put this down to Europeans sneering on Arabs if you want, I disagree and to me it seems pretty obvious thats not the case. If the Western states wanted a monopoly on WC's Japan and South Korea would'nt have hosted it in 2002.

Not to mention I cant think of a single Middle Eastern or Sub Continental nation remotely suitable for hosting a football WC tbh, interest just isnt there so most likely we'll see it in EU/US/South America with the odd African one for a while until a suitable nation from the other regions (like Japan/South Korea) step up the plate.

sorry but forgive me if I don't take this seriously. The English couldn't care less about brown paksitanis or Indians dying to make anything in the gulf. hell they've been dying doing it for years but brits love a good time in Dubai etc... Qatar invests heavily in the uk that ultimately means jobs for the uk economy where the outcry for migrant workers then? anyone whos not European gets treated like garbage in the GCC but no cry for workers rights then? the right wing are even highlighting Union campaigns this time which just makes me laugh!!

Look the aim of fifa is to drum up interest in the game and take it to far flung places. I have no love for the GCC but I do think if this wc was being held anywhere but Qatar the hue and cry wouldn't be that much. The English are whining about it to the point where the moralizing is getting in my throat..the great English sermonising is making me sick!!

Fifa is corrupt like every single other large org...but because the English lost out to a bunch of camel herders well lets not go there..

Donal Cozzie
8th June 2015, 23:38
sorry but forgive me if I don't take this seriously. The English couldn't care less about brown paksitanis or Indians dying to make anything in the gulf. hell they've been dying doing it for years but brits love a good time in Dubai etc... Qatar invests heavily in the uk that ultimately means jobs for the uk economy where the outcry for migrant workers then? anyone whos not European gets treated like garbage in the GCC but no cry for workers rights then? the right wing are even highlighting Union campaigns this time which just makes me laugh!!

Look the aim of fifa is to drum up interest in the game and take it to far flung places. I have no love for the GCC but I do think if this wc was being held anywhere but Qatar the hue and cry wouldn't be that much. The English are whining about it to the point where the moralizing is getting in my throat..the great English sermonising is making me sick!!

Fifa is corrupt like every single other large org...but because the English lost out to a bunch of camel herders well lets not go there..

But England bid for the 2018 WC IIRC, which went to Russia (which I have no qualms with even if corrupt as Russia are big into football at least and for a big nation its surprising they've never had their chance). Its Australia and the US who were overlooked for the 2022 one which Qatar won.

I'm not saying there arent other motives behind it and yes when moneys involved no country gives a toss about workers rights once they get their cash/oil, but the scale at which workers are being abused is on a scale not seen in any international sporting event that I can recall, and I genuinely feel its one of the reasons for this clampdown, the other one most likely being bitterness from some parties over not getting the hosting gig themselves, European domestic football being disrupted and the fact that Qatar won the bid for a Summer WC so if they cant fulfill that obligation due to extreme heat they shouldn't be allowed simply switch to Winter.

If FIFA dont take it off Qatar I'd fully expect Aus and US to mount a legal challenge to the Court of Arbitration for Sport on the basis that Qatar bid for a summer event and thus if they cant host it in summer it should be changed, and I'd be confident they'd win.

Its one massive mess regardless of the outcome though

chacha kashmiri
9th June 2015, 14:56
Disagree.

Qatar

The deaths myth has been called out

It's not due to work it could include deaths due to heart attack accidents out of work etc and is not just wc construction but any construction going in Qatar

The Indian government have said deaths per workers is completely normal too

Mainly your point consists of not being able to party and Qatar being footballing non entities
the last time that happened was 94 when footballers nearly collapsed in the heat of the U.s In a land where men's football comes behind softball and ping pong
Can't believe ppl really want to give the states another wc just 30 years later because they can party better there

I hope they're not the reasons both lampard and Gerrard are going to America for

Amjid Javed
9th June 2015, 15:41
If both nations were given the world cup under dodgy dealings then both should be stripped of the world cup as simple as that!

the Great Khan
9th June 2015, 22:48
But England bid for the 2018 WC IIRC, which went to Russia (which I have no qualms with even if corrupt as Russia are big into football at least and for a big nation its surprising they've never had their chance). Its Australia and the US who were overlooked for the 2022 one which Qatar won.

yes but the US/UK arent too keen on giving the world cup to a nation like Qatar. It sets a precedent for the middle east and the last thing they want is some sort of inclusion for this part of the world. Unless your isreal which gets u21 tournies even though it shoots footballers in their knee caps and kills children playing football on a beach in broad daylight. This is all geopolitics make no mistake..

I'm not saying there arent other motives behind it and yes when moneys involved no country gives a toss about workers rights once they get their cash/oil, but the scale at which workers are being abused is on a scale not seen in any international sporting event that I can recall, and I genuinely feel its one of the reasons for this clampdown, the other one most likely being bitterness from some parties over not getting the hosting gig themselves, European domestic football being disrupted and the fact that Qatar won the bid for a Summer WC so if they cant fulfill that obligation due to extreme heat they shouldn't be allowed simply switch to Winter.

all of those latter issues can be dealt with quite easily. Most european countrys have winter breaks anyway and tournaments like the six nations rugby are played in mid season so with a bit of logistical common sense the tournament can happen and would be awesome..but understand this, the rights of those dead workers mean absolutley diddly squat to the premeir league or the other european leagues. China has a very dubious human rights record but the beijing olympics went ahead. india has a pathetic record too but the commonwealth games went ahead, Hitler staged the olympics for goodness sake..Qatar is not the beast of the end times of football as many so called fans and pundits are making out...

If FIFA dont take it off Qatar I'd fully expect Aus and US to mount a legal challenge to the Court of Arbitration for Sport on the basis that Qatar bid for a summer event and thus if they cant host it in summer it should be changed, and I'd be confident they'd win.

then good luck to them becasue as soon as it goes to court they will ahve lost anyway. The torunament will go ahead. The US's best bet is to snick the FBI dogs on the "camel herders" to teach them who daddy is. The English will just enjoy moralising as they always do then go and bribe some saudis to buy uselss fighter jets!! or accept bribes from Isreali billionaires to lobby against BDS..

its only a mess because the europeans have made it one. The Qataris have the money to create whatever weather controlled environment they deem fit for spectators and players!! as they said on bbc five live the other day " well we wont be able to take our shirts of and get drunk if it goes to qatar and getting drunk is a major part of being a football fan..enuff said"

Gotham Cronie
10th June 2015, 01:01
Just look at this

That's such a stupid graph. How many of those deaths were construction related? Especially to the World Cup?

Convict
11th June 2015, 17:41
Qatar shouldn't have hosted the world cup.

To host a world cup you need a minimum of 12 stadiums in 11 cities with each each stadium having a 40,000 seat capacity.

You also automatically qualify so whilst it's not a rule only teams that could plausibly qualify on merit should be allowed to host.

Russia fits all the requirements. Qatar fits none of them and is too hot anyway

Convict
11th June 2015, 17:42

Australia won't do anything.