PDA

View Full Version : Karachi , Lahore or Islamabad .. Which city has the highest literacy rate?

saadsahabjee
29th June 2015, 22:24
What do you guys think , people from which city among these are more educated.

In My view Karachi has the highest literacy rate , Whenever i went abroad i find karachites to be more educated than people from other cities also in Canada and America mostly i have met people from Karachi rather than other cities.

Share your views ......:inti

Deosai
29th June 2015, 22:33
According to the literacy rates it's

1.Islamabad by a big margin
2.Karachi
3.Lahore

Islamabad is the most educated city in Pakistan but tbf most of the people there are transplants.

Stewie
29th June 2015, 22:41
Dont know about cities but found this on Wiki, cant vouch for its authenticity but its an interesting read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:List_of_Pakistani_districts_by_literacy

shah_1
29th June 2015, 23:20
Islamabad by a large margin. It's quite an expensive city to live in Pakistan compared to others so most parents can afford proper education for their children.

DW44
29th June 2015, 23:25
Islamabad, by far. If I'm not mistaken, the last time they published statistics(around 2005 I think) even Pindi had a higher literacy rate than Lahore. As goes the transplant theory, it's about 10 years out of date by now but the last three or four times I've seen it brought up here, it's been by posters from or based in Karachi, so I don't know what's up with that... What's going on there?

mani1
29th June 2015, 23:29
Islamabad, by far. If I'm not mistaken, the last time they published statistics(around 2005 I think) even Pindi had a higher literacy rate than Lahore. As goes the transplant theory, it's about 10 years out of date by now but the last three or four times I've seen it brought up here, it's been by posters from or based in Karachi, so I don't know what's up with that... What's going on there?

Most people in Pindi are transplants too unless they speak Maara Taara Mikki Tukki lingo

srh
30th June 2015, 00:22

In My view Karachi has the highest literacy rate , Whenever i went abroad i find karachites to be more educated than people from other cities also in Canada and America mostly i have met people from Karachi rather than other cities.

Lahore was always consider more educated than any other part of Pakistan from the very beginning by everybody including people of Karachi.

But Islamabad is an artificial city so dont know if it is now more educated than Lahore.

Cricket lover 27
30th June 2015, 01:10
Lahore was always consider more educated than any other part of Pakistan from the very beginning by everybody including people of Karachi.

But Islamabad is an artificial city so dont know if it is now more educated than Lahore.

No Karachi has always been viewed to be more educated than Lahore and understandably so back in the olden days Lahori's did not used to study much especially girls they got married after doing Matric or 2nd year while girls of Karachi at least did B.A. before getting married.

MSaad1237
30th June 2015, 01:54
Islamabad, thats a no brainier .

Slog
30th June 2015, 02:09
Islamabad is a no brainer

daylightt...

2. Karachi

3. Lahore

honestly i always get surprised lahore is 3rd.

PCP_1
30th June 2015, 02:19

Maybe the majority of the Pakistanis you met were Karachites from the well educated, upper class or even had a higher concentration in a particular city of such immigrants when compared to the number of similar people from other cities. :najam

Laal
30th June 2015, 02:53
Shouldn't include Islamabad as a city. Most who live in Islamabad are not natives. And most of the government jobs are concentrated in Islamabad. By the same account, DC is the most literate city in the US.

Laal
30th June 2015, 02:56
BTW, Jhelum has the third highest literacy rate in Pakistan. Lahore comes 4th.

junaid.ahmed
30th June 2015, 07:57
some years back karachi was on the top & other cities were miles behind but after movement of labor class from other parts of country to karachi the scenario has changed

Nostalgic
30th June 2015, 08:05
I must mention my hometown, Wah Cantt. It isn't anywhere near the size of a big metro, but it does have close to a 100% literacy rate. What's the saying, good things come in small packages?

We used to intentionally mispronounce "Cantt" as a certain curse word, but a high literacy rate shouldn't hamper crude, sophomoric humor.

junaid.ahmed
30th June 2015, 08:05
but there is a small village in Punjabs most undeveloped region DG Khan naming 'Rasool Pur' having 100% literacy rate & the funny thing is that smoking is not allow in the village due to its bad effects on health.

junaid.ahmed
30th June 2015, 08:07
I must mention my hometown, Wah Cantt. It isn't anywhere near the size of a big metro, but it does have close to a 100% literacy rate. What's the saying, good things come in small packages?

We used to intentionally mispronounce "Cantt" as a certain curse word, but a high literacy rate shouldn't hamper crude, sophomoric humor.

surprise to hear that your home town is Wah cantt, I always assumed that you must be migrated Pakistani from lukhnow

Nostalgic
30th June 2015, 08:22
surprise to hear that your home town is Wah cantt, I always assumed that you must be migrated Pakistani from lukhnow

Wah is actually a town of immigrants. They call it Mini Karachi, because like Karachi, every single ethnicity is represented. There are probably many families who immigrated from Lakhnow.

My forebears were not from too far away: both the paternal and maternal ancestral villages are east of Rawalpindi.

junaid.ahmed
30th June 2015, 08:26
Wah is actually a town of immigrants. They call it Mini Karachi, because like Karachi, every single ethnicity is represented. There are probably many families who immigrated from Lakhnow.

My forebears were not from too far away: both the paternal and maternal ancestral villages are east of Rawalpindi.

I hope that Wah's future will be different from Karachi :altaf

Nostalgic
30th June 2015, 08:51
I hope that Wah's future will be different from Karachi :altaf

Here's to hoping for peace and prosperity for every inch for our lovely land.

DW44
30th June 2015, 11:25
What's an artificial city? This is another one that pops up from time to time without much explanation so I'm all ears, enlighten me. What's an artificial city?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Slog
30th June 2015, 11:37
What's an artificial city? This is another one that pops up from time to time without much explanation so I'm all ears, enlighten me. What's an artificial city?

Islamabad, Brasilia, Fatehpur Sikri

DW44
30th June 2015, 12:03
Islamabad, Brasilia, Fatehpur Sikri
Those are just names of cities. Still doesn't explain what constitutes an artificial city. Would Houston or DC, for instance, be classified as such?

Lords
30th June 2015, 13:48
Night population it should be islamabad as its a city for privileged , day population it should lag behind as most of the workers who work there cannot afford to live there.

Same as chandigarh, it has high education and income rates but when statistics are made it counts for only the legal residents not the migrants and outside workers.

srh
30th June 2015, 14:46
No Karachi has always been viewed to be more educated than Lahore and understandably so back in the olden days Lahori's did not used to study much especially girls they got married after doing Matric or 2nd year while girls of Karachi at least did B.A. before getting married.
Go ask your parents or your elders, kiddo and they will tell you the truth. Not sure what is the present situation now

Deosai
30th June 2015, 15:11
Night population it should be islamabad as its a city for privileged , day population it should lag behind as most of the workers who work there cannot afford to live there.

Same as chandigarh, it has high education and income rates but when statistics are made it counts for only the legal residents not the migrants and outside workers.

lol I notice how you always try to compare Chandigarh to Islamabad, when both cities couldn't be more different.

Lords
30th June 2015, 15:20
lol I notice how you always try to compare Chandigarh to Islamabad, when both cities couldn't be more different.

Can you point out even one post where i ever mentioned chandigarh ever, let alone comparison with islamabad?

And if you can also point out where i compared cities in my post, i just mentioned the trend of migrant workers who dont get counted in statistics.

Deosai
30th June 2015, 15:24
Can you point out even one post where i ever mentioned chandigarh ever, let alone comparison with islamabad?

And if you can also point out where i compared cities in my post, i just mentioned the trend of migrant workers who dont get counted in statistics.

You mentioned it in this post, and in another post a couple days back you were comparing both cities

Cricket lover 27
30th June 2015, 15:50
Go ask your parents or your elders, kiddo and they will tell you the truth. Not sure what is the present situation now

After partition the most educated community was of Muhajir and they were all mostly concentrated in Karachi so of course Karachi was more educated.

Lords
30th June 2015, 15:52
You mentioned it in this post, and in another post a couple days back you were comparing both cities

nope, not me. i dont remember typing islamabad or chandigarh in my posts in recent history.

Deosai
30th June 2015, 16:11
nope, not me. i dont remember typing islamabad or chandigarh in my posts in recent history.

oh okay, confused you with somebody else

Saqs
30th June 2015, 17:53
Those are just names of cities. Still doesn't explain what constitutes an artificial city. Would Houston or DC, for instance, be classified as such?

Still waiting here people.

Deosai
30th June 2015, 18:08
Recently Alif Ailaan published the rankings of Pakistani districts

http://defence.pk/attachments/education-score-dr-2015-jpg.220366/

http://i.dawn.com/large/2015/05/554c0fc66df0c.jpg?r=1860375407

They have an interactive map on their site

http://www.alifailaan.pk/district_education_rankings

It seems like Punjab is more literate and has better infrastructure than every other province, especially upper Punjab.

proud_pakistani
30th June 2015, 22:24
Considering the large population of Karachi in comparison to Lahore or Islamabad I would be very surprised if it had a higher proportion of literate people. There may overall be a higher number of literate people in Karachi though. Taking all that into consideration Punjab is the province which has the greatest focus on education so it should be Islamabad or Lahore. As they say Parha likha Punjab.

Buffet
30th June 2015, 22:41

I guess, many posters are calling all newer cities as artificial cities ;)

Laal
30th June 2015, 22:50

Not sure what the hoopla is about. I'm sure the posters are alluding to planned communities.

Deosai
30th June 2015, 23:10
Considering the large population of Karachi in comparison to Lahore or Islamabad I would be very surprised if it had a higher proportion of literate people. There may overall be a higher number of literate people in Karachi though. Taking all that into consideration Punjab is the province which has the greatest focus on education so it should be Islamabad or Lahore. As they say Parha likha Punjab.

Uh...no, Karachi has a higher literacy rate than Lahore so it's got proportionally more educated people, also since Karachi is the financial capital of Pakistan, there's more flight of skilled and educated people to Karachi from rest of the country.

justarslan
1st July 2015, 02:01
I guess, many posters are calling all newer cities as artificial cities ;)

Lahore and Karachi are the only cities in Pakistan. Rest are overpopulated pinds.

Buffet
1st July 2015, 07:51
Lahore and Karachi are the only cities in Pakistan. Rest are overpopulated pinds.

I have never been to Pakistan. Hopefully, I can visit it when cricket returns to see a game there but based on what I know, Islamabad is a good city. It may not have old history like the other cities but some cities do get built from scratch.

Slog
1st July 2015, 09:22

They were Chaudhry Shujaat and Chori Pervez Elahi.

All they did was build ghost schools.

SULTAN
1st July 2015, 09:58
From my experience, from what i have seen in inner Punjab (Gujrat, Sargodha, Lahore, Isl, Sialkot etc.), people avoid PUBLIC schools like a plague (if they can afford).

Vast Majority of public schools are garbage (corruption, teacher's not showing up, bad infrastructure). Especially true in villages.

That's why private schools is such a big business in Pak.

DW44
1st July 2015, 15:24
Not sure what the hoopla is about. I'm sure the posters are alluding to planned communities.
Its the repeated use of the term artificial. Seems like they're trying to force a point through. I'm just trying to figure out what the point is. In any case, Islamabad is slightly more than a 'community' with a night time population of 1.4 million over an area larger than Multan city proper.

Deosai
1st July 2015, 15:59
From my experience, from what i have seen in inner Punjab (Gujrat, Sargodha, Lahore, Isl, Sialkot etc.), people avoid PUBLIC schools like a plague (if they can afford).

Vast Majority of public schools are garbage (corruption, teacher's not showing up, bad infrastructure). Especially true in villages.

It's like that all over pakistan

Deosai
1st July 2015, 16:00

It's like that all over pakistan

Bullet Drive
1st July 2015, 16:04
I have never met anybody from Karachi but speak to many who I have found to be literate. Speak English well and read well etc.

Laal
2nd July 2015, 08:57
Its the repeated use of the term artificial. Seems like they're trying to force a point through. I'm just trying to figure out what the point is. In any case, Islamabad is slightly more than a 'community' with a night time population of 1.4 million over an area larger than Multan city proper.

Please revisit what a planned community entails. Of course, the community grows over time.

DW44
2nd July 2015, 09:55
Please revisit what a planned community entails. Of course, the community grows over time.
For one, you need a plan. The masterplan for islamabad was done away with in the 80s. It has grown pretty much organically since then.

Laal
2nd July 2015, 10:55
For one, you need a plan. The masterplan for islamabad was done away with in the 80s. It has grown pretty much organically since then.

Don't argue for the sake of argument. Refer to Urban Geography: A Global Perspective by M. Pacione (pg. 194) for a detailed discussion on Islamabad. Other books on Islamabad's history would suffice too. A planned community is a technical term that has an operational definition.

DW44
2nd July 2015, 11:07
Don't argue for the sake of argument. Refer to Urban Geography: A Global Perspective by M. Pacione (pg. 194) for a detailed discussion on Islamabad. Other books on Islamabad's history would suffice too. A planned community is a technical term that has an operational definition.

I believe the term I took exception to was 'artificial city' which mostly certainly isn't a technical term. The minutiae of what a planned community is are irrelevant semantics here. In any case, will check out the book once Im back in the (relatively) civilized world i.e. Islamabad. I seriously doubt that theres a half decent library in Multan.

Nostalgic
2nd July 2015, 11:12
I seriously doubt that theres a half decent library in Multan.

Plenty of malangs though. Malangs with Bhang. That would be a good name for a band.

DW44
2nd July 2015, 11:15
Plenty of malangs though. Malangs with Bhang. That would be a good name for a band.
This place has absolutely no redeeming qualities. Absolute hole.

Nostalgic
2nd July 2015, 11:18
This place has absolutely no redeeming qualities. Absolute hole.

You're in Multan?

DW44
2nd July 2015, 11:22
You're in Multan?
Unfortunately, yes.

saeedhk
2nd July 2015, 11:40
Read a few days ago that Mirpur is the best place to be a child in Pakistan. It has a 95% primary enrolment.

However, the rate drops significantly at the secondary level. Children health is another dept in which Mirpur is doing well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Nostalgic
2nd July 2015, 11:41
Unfortunately, yes.

Is it true that the Sufi culture Multan was once famed for is dying, and there are madrassahs on every street, the sort that are affiliated with sectarian outfits?

DW44
2nd July 2015, 11:45
Is it true that the Sufi culture Multan was once famed for is dying, and there are madrassahs on every street, the sort that are affiliated with sectarian outfits?
Yes, not much sufi culture left outside of the walls of shrines and there too it's greatly restricted for fear of upsetting the more puritanical ones among us. There's a madrassa two streets over from our office anfmd at least one local coworker of mine is an active member of Jamat ud Dawa(JuD is huge here).

Nostalgic
2nd July 2015, 12:18
Yes, not much sufi culture left outside of the walls of shrines and there too it's greatly restricted for fear of upsetting the more puritanical ones among us. There's a madrassa two streets over from our office anfmd at least one local coworker of mine is an active member of Jamat ud Dawa(JuD is huge here).

South Punjab flies under the radar so much when we talk about such organizations. Its a ticking time bomb.

Deosai
2nd July 2015, 15:43
Read a few days ago that Mirpur is the best place to be a child in Pakistan. It has a 95% primary enrolment.

However, the rate drops significantly at the secondary level. Children health is another dept in which Mirpur is doing well.

It's cause off the money sent from England, the reason why secondary school enrollments drop is probably because they get shipped off to England

saeedhk
2nd July 2015, 16:00
Lol.