PDA

View Full Version : Your views on Gwadar port being handed over to Dubai world

suhaib
4th June 2006, 07:12
the gov. has finaly sealed and signed the deal for the hand over of gwadar port to dubai world. now what are your views on this.

i think this was a bad move, even thought singapore and hong kong offered lower bids one of them should have been accepted, we have just handed over gwadar to its main competitor, now i think they will send all the large major ships to dubai.

Daoud
4th June 2006, 07:17
There certainly could be a conflict of interests

Toony™®
4th June 2006, 07:34
i doubt it.. they are just a management firm which manages the ports all over the world...there was big song and dance over american security when they bought the contract from management shipping firm p&o after the bush adminstration backed their bid to run it and was overruled in the american senate.

Why would ships head for Dubai where the destination is Pak? Also Gwadar isnt losing business as its shipping is fairly undeveloped still.

Besides in the tenders they must have offered a better value deal over the lower bids.

I dont think there is anything wrong with it ...

also its probably linked with the $30b investment from the same ppl.

MIG
4th June 2006, 11:00
That is exactly what some Emiraatis have told me - Daal may kuch Kaala hai!

Hash
4th June 2006, 16:18
I'd rather it was run by a Chinese firm (or anyone really) than an Arab firm but that's just my own personal prejudiced opinion which counts for nothing in the bigger scheme of things.

jusarrived
5th June 2006, 00:04
why is pakistan obsessed with middle east is beyond me..I feel Dubais growth is artificial,without much substance....pakistan needs to look east Asaen countries n china !

suhaib
5th June 2006, 03:18
why is pakistan obsessed with middle east is beyond me..I feel Dubais growth is artificial,without much substance....pakistan needs to look east Asaen countries n china !

pakistan obsessed with middle east?

no way dude, its the other way round.

after 9/11, arab investment has got unsecure in usa so they are just taking it out and putting it in pakistan and a few other nations around here.

alybaba
5th June 2006, 09:28
Its been given to DP World, because US would not allow China to run the port. Having China right along the gateway to the middle east is not sound policy for Americans, who want to control the oil routes.

MIG
5th June 2006, 11:13
pakistan obsessed with middle east?

no way dude, its the other way round.

after 9/11, arab investment has got unsecure in usa so they are just taking it out and putting it in pakistan and a few other nations around here.

After 9/11 Arabs are investing in the States and Europe like there was no yesterday - why ? Because, most of the worlds strife is IN the MiddleEast and Asia - they want returns on their money not goodwill.

Toony™®
5th June 2006, 12:08
Its been given to DP World, because US would not allow China to run the port. Having China right along the gateway to the middle east is not sound policy for Americans, who want to control the oil routes.

balls.

Toony™®
5th June 2006, 12:10
Four years of living in Dubai and my general experiences with them throughout my life. I am sure they are not all bad but definitely from personal experience, most of them are.

They are stuck up, arogant, a*se lickers (if you are white), treat Pakistanis like the dog crap on the bottom of your shoe..

I have found some like that in Makkah.
In Madinah they were all very friendly.

I am dreading my trip to Dubai next weekend! :21: :P

MIG
5th June 2006, 12:19
Dubai is MILES from Makkah and the rest of Saudi - have a great time in Dubai - I can assure you that when you come back you will be singing praises of that place in no time!

MIG
5th June 2006, 12:21
And Hash, less of this abusive stuff pls. ( see second para of your post above )

alybaba
5th June 2006, 12:26
balls.
Read this:

www.ccc.nps.navy.mil/research/theses/Hussain05.pdf

madaboutlfc
5th June 2006, 12:27
rubbish... growth is not artificial when the foriegn investment is funding it

jusarrived
5th June 2006, 22:17
rubbish... growth is not artificial when the foriegn investment is funding it

actually,growth is artificial when foregin investment is funding it!

HAFRIDI
6th June 2006, 18:42
SLAMABAD-Days after Emaar Properties inked a deal with the Pakistan government to produce some $2.4 billion in mixed use projects, Dubai Worls follows suit. Dubai has signed two contracts valued at $10 billion (US) with Pakistan to develop infrastructure and construct commercial and industrial projects. It also includes the creation of free zones and modern ports to be managed by DP World, the region’s leading port and terminal operators. In addition, the project calls for the construction of a modern waterfront off the Karachi coastline, according to a United Arab Emirates announcement.

Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, executive chairman of Dubai Ports, Customs and Free Zone Corp. and chairman of Nakheel signed the contracts with the Pakistani Minister of Transport and Minister of Foreign Investments. The event was witnessed by Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, vice president and prime minister of the UAE and Dubai’s ruler, and Shaukat Aziz, Pakistan’s prime minister.

“Dubai World is targeting massive investments in various sectors, including real estate projects in main cities across Pakistan,” the sultan says. “Dubai World, through Limitless Co., its international real estate development arm, will lead and execute investments in the residential real estate sector as Pakistan lacks residential units of high quality. Limitless will bridge the gap through its expertise in the sector. In addition, Limitless will also develop real estate, entertainment and (other) commercial projects in different regions in Pakistan.”

The sultan says that, “we will work on preparing detailed studies to build waterfront in Karachi, an integrated community that will be the first of its kind in the Indian subcontinent.” He says the development “will encompass world-class residential and commercial buildings, shopping centers and entertainment facilities.”

The UAE announcement says DP World and the Pakistani government are “working closely to finalize the details of the agreements” for the company to start managing and operating Qassim Port, “one of the most important and active ports in Pakistan.”

suhaib
7th June 2006, 02:02
Pakistan, UAE agree to further expand ties

Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates Tuesday vowed to further strengthen their ties in all aspects especially in economy, trade, defence and security.

The two countries also signed three Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) for cooperation in development of mega infrastructure projects, bringing in investments totalling US 100 billion dollars, besides granting permission to the Dubai Islamic Bank to operate fifty branches in Pakistan.

The signing of the MoUs was witnessed by Vice President and Prime Minister of United Arab Emirates, Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz here at the Prime Minister House. The two leaders earlier also held an exclusive meeting.

It was followed by a second round, in which their aides joined and discussed wide ranging issues. The first MOU was signed between the Ministry of Ports and Shipping and Emmar Properties(EP), under which EP will participate in joint ventures for the development of mega residential, commercial, leisure and real estate projects, industrial parks, free zones and port terminals.

The second MOU was signed for the development of Karachi Beach Front. The third MOU pertained to investment in mega infrastructure projects, under which investors from UAE will inject around US 100 billion dollars in various projects, including construction of residential building and towns, highways, airports and commercial development.

MIG
11th June 2006, 14:16
And more on Gwadar story from Khaleej Times:

DPW may win Gwadar port deal in 'trade-off'
BY ISAAC JOHN (Chief Business Reporter)

11 June 2006

DUBAI — Pakistan may scrap the normal open bidding process to hand over Gwadar port management directly to Dubai Port World in a possible trade-off, according to a top ranking government official.

Waseem Haqqie, head of Pakistan’s Engineering Development Board, was quoted by Dow Jones that Pakistan might skip the open bidding process "as a favour," shutting the door to other interested parties. "We have followed the bidding process in all previous deals, but in the case of Gwadar it can be a direct handover."

Haqqie, who is the former chairman of Pakistan’s Board of Investment (BOI), said: "As far as I know there is a strong possibility of a trade-off here. I believe, after the deal is finalised, Pakistan will see some more Dubai investments in different sectors,” he said.

The UAE has become the largest foreign investor in Pakistan following an investment commitment of more than Dh124 billion made by Emaar, Dubai World and Etisalat in various industrial, real estate and telecom projects.

Haqqie's statement comes close on the heels of an announcement made by Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Mohammad Yousaf that the operational management at the deep-sea port has already been given to DP World. Gwadar Port is in Balochistan province.

Although both sides — Pakistan government and DP World —have yet to formally announce the deal, the chief minister's statement endorses the views expressed by the former BOI chief that the government of Pakistan preferred DP World over other shortlisted bidders including PSA International of Singapore, Globe Marine Services of Saudi Arabia and Pakistan International Container Terminal.

Following the exit of Hutchison Port Holdings of Hong Kong, a strong contender, from the race, it was almost certain that DP World, a subsidiary of Dubai World, would win the bid to take over the management of the strategic Arabian Sea port built with Chinese assistance.

Chief Minister Jam Mohammad Yousaf, talking to media recently in Quetta, also said five border points have been opened with Iran to promote trade via Gwadar port. He said the port would take time to start generating revenue and denied a statement by the provincial finance minister that the Balochistan government had sent a proposal to the federal government regarding fixation of a specific percentage in the revenue for the province.

Commodore Munir Wahid, project director of the Gwadar Port Implementation Authority, also recently hinted at the good progress made by both sides in finalising the agreement to give DP World operational management of the port, which is envisaged to be used as corridor for energy supply to China. It can also be an energy corridor for Pakistan, China and India. Apart from this, the new port is positioned as a trade and industrial and oil transportation corridor.

DP World has also bid for Gwadar's $865 million phase-II that will add nine more berths, an approach channel and storage terminals. It will have three container terminals with a quay length of 2km. The total cost of the Gwadar project is estimated at $1.6 billion, of which China has contributed about $198 million for the first phase. China invested another $200 million to build a highway connecting the port with Karachi.