PDA

View Full Version : Punjabi or Urdu word for " annoying "

Pace90
23rd December 2015, 10:53
My pre-teen son, born and raised here in USA, loves Punjabi language ( and Urdu ) and insists I speak Punjabi with him so he could learn how to be fluent in it. Asked me exact word for "annoying" in Punjabi----- or even urdu ? I could not find any, can you folks ?

Suleiman
23rd December 2015, 10:57
the verb? like, "can you stop annoying me?". think in urdu it would be "satana" or "cherhna", like "mat satao yaar", which would be like "leave me alone" or "stop annoying me".

Saeed
23rd December 2015, 11:03
There is no exact word. Some parents in Punjab use curse words in place of annoying to calm their sons/daughters down. Just tell him Beta mujhe taang nah karo. You may want to use Pashtu words to sound more intimidating.

Saeed
23rd December 2015, 11:05
the verb? like, "can you stop annoying me?". think in urdu it would be "satana" or "cherhna", like "mat satao yaar", which would be like "leave me alone" or "stop annoying me".

Satana is a Punjabi word. Preshan would be Urdu version of it.

Deosai
23rd December 2015, 11:07

In Pakistani Urdu it's the same.

Saeed
23rd December 2015, 11:09
In Pakistani Urdu it's the same.

I also learned Urdu in Pakistan and I am pretty sure Satana is a Punjabi word. Maybe they changed it after I left.

Suleiman
23rd December 2015, 11:09

Yeah what Deosai said. Satana is also more like teasing and Preshan is like giving someone stress. I use both depending on the situation.

Deosai
23rd December 2015, 11:10
I also learned Urdu in Pakistan and I am pretty sure Satana is a Punjabi word. Maybe they changed it after I left.

Languages change. In Pakistani Urdu we use it too.

uberkoen
23rd December 2015, 11:13
Languages change. In Pakistani Urdu we use it too.

You use it in Urdu but it is a Punjabi word.

Also, this post should be in the languages forum. MOds can you please move it to the correct forum?

Zak_Fan
23rd December 2015, 11:19
When I had to tell a Punjabi to stop bothering or annoying me, I went like.. "Oyee..khapp na paa..mein chaped laaani".

Don't know how correct it was, but it worked.

uberkoen
23rd December 2015, 11:20
When I had to tell a Punjabi to stop bothering or annoying me, I went like.. "Oyee..khapp na paa..mein chaped laaani".

Khapp na paa translates to shut up.

Zak_Fan
23rd December 2015, 11:22
Khapp na paa translates to shut up.

Ohkk.. I thought "khapp" meant to annoy.

Cosmic
23rd December 2015, 11:23
What the hell sort of language is that? I've never heard anyone use those phrases. Where are you from?

Lolz, go check Pakistani Dramas or even vines, Or you can check some bollywood movies !!!

freelance_cricketer
23rd December 2015, 11:23
I thought Satana was urdu/hindi.

In Punjabi we say ''Oye bc tang na kar.''

Saeed
23rd December 2015, 11:24

It is correct but I think chaped is also an Urdu word. You should have said mein chaped laani ai. So what happened afterwards?

Zak_Fan
23rd December 2015, 11:25

Yeah... tang is the word in Indian Punjabi. Same as Hindi.

Suleiman
23rd December 2015, 11:26

think that's universal across Punjabi/Urdu.

actually, tang is prob the word you're looking for OP.

obv without the bc part, since that's your pre-teen son...

Zak_Fan
23rd December 2015, 11:28
It is correct but I think chaped is also an Urdu word. You should have said mein chaped laani ai. So what happened afterwards?

Har cheez Urdu? :facepalm:

Chaped is a Punjabi word.

Cosmic
23rd December 2015, 11:28
Ok agar formal karna Hai " App issa Tang na kihya" Apna Kam se kam rakho bhai" " Mera mamla main dakhal kyun dera ho" Meri marzi" these all sorts of word can connect to d

uberkoen
23rd December 2015, 11:30
Ok agar formal karna Hai " App issa Tang na kihya" Apna Kam se kam rakho bhai" " Mera mamla main dakhal kyun dera ho" Meri marzi" these all sorts of word can connect to d

lol. Bro, please tell me where you're from! Your urdu/punjabi sounds funny.

Saeed
23rd December 2015, 11:36
Har cheez Urdu? :facepalm:

Chaped is a Punjabi word.

Man Indians have ruined everything. This is why we need to speak Persian.

Deosai
23rd December 2015, 12:22
You use it in Urdu but it is a Punjabi word.

Also, this post should be in the languages forum. MOds can you please move it to the correct forum?

Yea it's a Pakistani Urdu word now. That's how dialects develop their own vernacular.

MenInG
23rd December 2015, 12:29
The urdu/punjabi word for rubbish is bakwas which is some of the posts that I have deleted here

Cosmic
24th December 2015, 00:55
lol. Bro, please tell me where you're from! Your urdu/punjabi sounds funny.

well, i don't have any country yet !!!!, if you can guess.. Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Canada... I am some how related to these countries... But don't know yet who "IAM"

ChachaCricket
24th December 2015, 11:49
The urdu/punjabi word for rubbish is bakwas which is some of the posts that I have deleted here

That was smooth.:hafeez2

LooneyReturns
29th December 2015, 01:43
Chiraand

chiraand na karo

chiraandi na bano

Junaid23
13th January 2016, 12:14
I think "TANG NA KAR" or "TANG KAR NAY WALA"

Fatima Khan0007
18th March 2019, 10:02
in urdu we call it pareshan ya tang krdena