PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of "Reply ALL" ....

MIG
5th July 2006, 14:39
Wikipedia defines Reply ALL as :

Reply all

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply all is a term used in e-mail. It refers to sending a reply message not only to an e-mail's original author, but also to any other recipients that were listed in the original To or Cc lists. This is often a dangerous proposition, especially when the list of recipients is long, as comments may be passed onto unintended recipients.

Now, tell me this and tell me honestly...

How many times have you recieved an email at work and hit the reply all button and then sat back in horror as an email meant for one person gets copied to many many more .. :(

And then as if to compound your mistake, you hit the "Recall Message" button !! so that all who received this message in error will get to witness your final humiliation !

Ok I havent done this but happens a lot where I work - from personal emails about bank accounts to business related issues - "The Curse of Reply ALL" is alive and kicking among us !

Any experiences on sending emails to incorrect addresses ?

Nesreen
5th July 2006, 14:53
One time ..i replied someone in a furious angry email using every bad word i know in english cause i had a dispute with this person...

I did sat in horror watching myself sending it to all in my contact book :O ... i was having cold sweat ... thinking of who was on that list ... quickly in a pathetic attempt to correct my mistake sent another email to the same bunch saying..ha ha ...caught ya :!!
That was even more humiliating ....
please dont ask what happened next .. If only it was April !

snazir6
5th July 2006, 15:31
Work in the public sector and this happens quite often.

Easa
5th July 2006, 16:26
The same thing happened to me. I sent a furious response to this loser on my list who was spamming me for the past week.

Shock, horror! It got sent to everyone in my contact list.

I therefore wrote and email with a sincere apology and most accepted it! Not a good experience.

Daoud
5th July 2006, 17:01
Never done it myself but there was this instance where a friend and some other guy for some inexplicable reason were airing out their issues over email and they for some bizarre reason kept replying to all.

MIG
5th July 2006, 17:06
Someone from work did that recently and back came a Reply ALL from the CEO "Dont copy your messages to ALL!"

Salman
5th July 2006, 17:23
my boss once told his girlfriend and 700 people on our internal distrubution list what he wanted her to wear when he got indoors....

he got a Reply All from the CEO stating "Sorry the pink ones are still in the wash"...

Easa
5th July 2006, 17:27
my boss once told his girlfriend and 700 people on our internal distrubution list what he wanted her to wear when he got indoors....

he got a Reply All from the CEO stating "Sorry the pink ones are still in the wash"...

:))) :))) :)))

Raz
5th July 2006, 18:07

:))) :))) :)))

Raz
5th July 2006, 18:28
I can't remember having such an experience with sending email, but I have had it with sending a text using my mobile phone. On quite a few occasions I've sent a text to someone that wasn't intended for them. On one particular occasion I had to do a lot of explaining to someone!!!

Big Daddy
6th July 2006, 23:16
thats nothing , one of my clown friends, signed onto my hotmail using my msn messenger and wrote i love u to all the girls on my contact list. needless to say most of the girls stopped talking to me after for quite a bit. oh there was so much peace then.

W63L35
7th July 2006, 03:14
In our company (or in general) there are 4 types on people who do a "reply-all";
1) Accidently.
They hit the "reply-all" by accident.
2) They are used to it.
They have a habit of doing it....since they only get "group" e-mails...and they are supposed to do it most of the times.
3) On purpose.
They want every body to know their "sarcastic" or "funny" or "angry" remarks to the original e-mail.
4) No clue.
These people have no clue that they are not supposed to click on "reply-all".

I work for a company with more than 60,000 employees. Out of these 60,000....I am sure 10,000+ have e-mail access! Now can you imagine waste of time if 10,000+ people spent 1-5 minutes reading an unintended "reply-all" mail?

This "reply-all" use to happen a lot but now the people who send e-mails to large dist lists have gotten smarter because of the of these idiots who ALWAY do reply all. What people normally do now is that they put the large dist list in the "BCC" (blind copy) and put their own e-mail in the "To" section. This way if anybody does a "reply-all", it only goes to the sender.

Invictus
7th July 2006, 10:31
You can retrieve your messages. Believe me start thinking of google as the tech friend you never had and always wanted.

MIG
7th July 2006, 12:40
But the worse thing is when they realize their mistake and send a "massage recall" - isnt that the most stupid thing !

Invictus
7th July 2006, 16:21
Yeah that lets you know to read the msg they want to retrieve. Otherwise you would have deleted it without paying attention to it.