PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan aims at football World Cup 2010

suhaib
11th July 2006, 17:54
Pakistan aims at football World Cup 2010

Pakistan is aiming to reach the World Cup finals - not in cricket but in the 2010 football event. It has approached Steve Kean, a Scotland football manager, to carry out necessary changes in the Pakistan football scene.

Pakistan's Football Association, based in Lahore, has offered Kean a pivotal role in a multi-million pound restructuring plan designed to drag them out of the lower reaches of the FIFA world rankings and to qualify for the World Cup in South Africa.

Kean, an assistant manager at Fulham, has accepted an invitation to visit Pakistan in November and is said to be keen to assist in maximising the unexplored potential of the country.

The Pakistan government is reported to be prepared to underwrite the revamp.

Central to Pakistan's ambitious plan is Fulham's Zesh Rehman, the only British Asian of Pakistan origin currently playing in the premiership.

The Pakistani association has identified him as the man to lead the country into their first ever World Cup finals and urged him to pledge allegiance to his parents' homeland though he has represented England at the under-20 level.

Rehman is said to have given a verbal agreement, but only on the condition that Kean be allowed to administer the necessary changes at grassroots level.

"It all happened because the Pakistani FA are determined to build their team around Zesh," Kean told The Herald, Glasgow. "He is a huge star in Pakistan and his appearances are shown on loop over there.

"They want him to take Pakistan to the World Cup and it was his idea that I go over with him in November, assess the facilities and coaching techniques, before hopefully being given a blank canvas to point them in the right direction."

He believes any future success in Pakistan may have fringe benefits in Britain.

"It is certainly an exciting challenge. I have helped out the Irish FA before but Pakistan is a vast, untapped market. With 2.5 million Asians in England alone, there is huge potential," he said.

Jimmy two-times
11th July 2006, 18:07
Good news and about time too.

We have the talent its just waiting to be given a chance.

entralinks
11th July 2006, 18:12
Forget it, I don't want it, Rob's gonna lay into us and avenge Hashism and hafridism.

sharuk
11th July 2006, 18:18
my friend died laughing next to me.

Amoeba
11th July 2006, 19:45
Why pick a Scotsman - given their great WC history?!!!!

Azam6380
11th July 2006, 19:56
Why pick a Scotsman - given their great WC history?!!!!

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/EthicsAndSportsEquity/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/11/Rehman_chooses_pakistan.htm?WBCMODE=PresentationUn publisheddefault.htmdefault.htm

Amoeba
11th July 2006, 21:06
I was talking about Steve Kean - who he?

Amir
12th July 2006, 10:15
I was talking about Steve Kean - who he?

Just because their country is not the greatest, does not mean the man does not know what he is talking about. I mean, Scotland has produced one of the games greatest managers, one Sir Alex Ferguson.

Amoeba
12th July 2006, 13:37
Just because their country is not the greatest, does not mean the man does not know what he is talking about. I mean, Scotland has produced one of the games greatest managers, one Sir Alex Ferguson.

I was expecting this response! It was a flippant remark poking fun at the Sweaties! Yes I know that Scotland has produced many fine managers but Steve Kean isn't one of them. I suppose the serious point is that if we were really determined to succeed we would go out and get a big name - the footballing equivalent of BW. Just like the Japanese did in recruiting Brazilians and I think India will try to do at some stage. Steve Kean is hardly a name to make the rest of the World tremble is it? There will be a number of managers available after the WC included a much maligned Swede or Klinesman. If we really were serious that would be the kind of level we would be aiming at.

madaboutlfc
12th July 2006, 14:49
I was expecting this response! It was a flippant remark poking fun at the Sweaties! Yes I know that Scotland has produced many fine managers but Steve Kean isn't one of them. I suppose the serious point is that if we were really determined to succeed we would go out and get a big name - the footballing equivalent of BW. Just like the Japanese did in recruiting Brazilians and I think India will try to do at some stage. Steve Kean is hardly a name to make the rest of the World tremble is it? There will be a number of managers available after the WC included a much maligned Swede or Klinesman. If we really were serious that would be the kind of level we would be aiming at.

what a stupid response? I wouldnt be even diplomatic about how i feel when i see people clearly lacking the will to engage their brain cells.. Coaches dont win games, players do and as for getting sven.. if you have spare 5mil lying about Mr. Idiot Im sure PFF would not mind your help..

by the way how do you know he is not a good manager.. *** gyypo stop being a presumptious tw@t and wait and see...

i dont think theres talent in Pakistan to qualify but that has no bearings on qualities of a coach..

people who know nowt about something should ****

madaboutlfc
12th July 2006, 14:51
obviously the guy knows **** all about the history of the game.. Jock Stein, Matt Busby, Bill Shankly, Kenny Dalglish et al were all brazilians werent they...

Amoeba
12th July 2006, 15:09
Calm down dear it is only a commercial - put your handbags away. Firstly if you cared to read my post I said "Yes I know that Scotland has produced many fine managers .....

You should stop being a complet tw@T youself d*ck for brains. I'm not for one moment saying we should spend loads of money or have the talent to justify it. All I am saying, which even a monkey like you should be able to understand if you thought with your brain rather than your ar$e is that we shouldn't get overly excited because we have hired some non-entity. The best 32 teams in the World aren't going to start looking over their shoulders come SA.

madaboutlfc
12th July 2006, 15:35
Calm down dear it is only a commercial - put your handbags away. Firstly if you cared to read my post I said "Yes I know that Scotland has produced many fine managers .....

You should stop being a complet tw@T youself d*ck for brains. I'm not for one moment saying we should spend loads of money or have the talent to justify it. All I am saying, which even a monkey like you should be able to understand if you thought with your brain rather than your ar$e is that we shouldn't get overly excited because we have hired some non-entity. The best 32 teams in the World aren't going to start looking over their shoulders come SA.
you know nowt about the game and i dont respect your opinion.. stop backtracking from what you said earlier.

Amoeba
12th July 2006, 15:41
I'm glad - because you know nothing about nothing you neantherdal.
Where have I backtracked or have you now read my post?
BTW Madman are you from Liverpool or just a typical glory hunting sad loser from elsewhere who thinks he has some footballing knowledge?

in_cutter
12th July 2006, 15:44
OOH things are hotting up here...

Amoeba
12th July 2006, 15:46
OOH things are hotting up here...
He started it............No one can talk to me like that and get away with it - maybe it's the Pathan blood! :D

in_cutter
12th July 2006, 15:51
He started it............No one can talk to me like that and get away with it - maybe it's the Pathan blood! :D

Is your blood boiling then...where are you from BTW

Amoeba
12th July 2006, 17:01
London, Nairobi, Pindi, Peshawar, Kabul - the world. How far do you want to go back?

madaboutlfc
12th July 2006, 18:30
I'm glad - because you know nothing about nothing you neantherdal.
Where have I backtracked or have you now read my post?
BTW Madman are you from Liverpool or just a typical glory hunting sad loser from elsewhere who thinks he has some footballing knowledge?
i dont need to qualify my merits to a discriminating no mark.. as for my credentials some people know them.. a lot more will know them in 6 weeks time

madaboutlfc
12th July 2006, 18:31
so youre living up to the stereotype

Amoeba
12th July 2006, 18:45
i dont need to qualify my merits to a discriminating no mark.. as for my credentials some people know them.. a lot more will know them in 6 weeks time

Why what are you doing in 6 weeks time? Going to Jail?
Don't know about stereotype. One thing is for sure though you're not living up to anything

suhaib
12th July 2006, 18:49
you are spoiling my topic tw@ts

madaboutlfc
12th July 2006, 19:05
sorry suhaib, needed to put a few wrongs right.. some buffoon having a go at someone who has not even started his job is just not on

madaboutlfc
12th July 2006, 19:06
Why what are you doing in 6 weeks time? Going to Jail?
Don't know about stereotype. One thing is for sure though you're not living up to anything
i dont need to because i dont bat for the other side..

Amir
12th July 2006, 19:06
Just to add some calmness to this debate :P, hiring a Brazilian may not be the best idea. Juist because they are the best players, they do not produce the best mangers. I would love if Pakistan managed to get Scolari, but that is not happening! Than the current Brazilain manager looks clueless, he just sat back and hoped for the team to do the work.

I know, that wasn't your main point(but I am just attacking your posts since I just woke up). The thing is, Pakistan are not looking for a manager, what they are looking for is someone who can set up a good structure. Someone like Sven, or Klinesmann may not be very good at setting up a grass root structure. Apperantly this Steve Kean guy has done that for the Irish FA, and there have been some good results, since tehy did make the 2002 WC.

Either way a good move by Pakistan. As one famous scottish Alloy McCoist(sp?) would say, "It may not be a goal, but it is a signal of intent."

Amoeba
12th July 2006, 19:11
i dont need to because i dont bat for the other side..

Get off your high horse you teenage batty boy tosspot. If you can't understand sacarsm then maybe you should attend school sometime.

madaboutlfc
12th July 2006, 19:13
Just to add some calmness to this debate :P, hiring a Brazilian may not be the best idea. Juist because they are the best players, they do not produce the best mangers. I would love if Pakistan managed to get Scolari, but that is not happening! Than the current Brazilain manager looks clueless, he just sat back and hoped for the team to do the work.

I know, that wasn't your main point(but I am just attacking your posts since I just woke up). The thing is, Pakistan are not looking for a manager, what they are looking for is someone who can set up a good structure. Someone like Sven, or Klinesmann may not be very good at setting up a grass root structure. Apperantly this Steve Kean guy has done that for the Irish FA, and there have been some good results, since tehy did make the 2002 WC.

Either way a good move by Pakistan. As one famous scottish Alloy McCoist(sp?) would say, "It may not be a goal, but it is a signal of intent."
good sensible post.. brazilians speak portuguese.. we are struggling with english as it is..

madaboutlfc
12th July 2006, 19:13
Get off your high horse you teenage batty boy tosspot. If you can't understand sacarsm then maybe you should attend school sometime.
:))) :)))
youre a laugh a min arent ya

Amoeba
12th July 2006, 19:21

Valid points. Essentially what I'm saying is that if Pakistan were really serious they would go out and get a big name. This would really put the country under the spotlight. However not for one minute do I think Pakistan should do that or can justify doing that. However I can imagine India, with it's huge market, setting up a sponsorship whereby real big names of the game go there to do some coaching etc.

In reality Pakistan won't qualify for the World Cup in 4 years time or even most probably in my lifetime. This is a step in the right direction but let's not get too excited.

As for Madman if you can't see where an Englishman is gently poking fun at the Scots then it is really yourself who knows nought about Football.

madaboutlfc
12th July 2006, 19:52
Valid points. Essentially what I'm saying is that if Pakistan were really serious they would go out and get a big name. This would really put the country under the spotlight. However not for one minute do I think Pakistan should do that or can justify doing that. However I can imagine India, with it's huge market, setting up a sponsorship whereby real big names of the game go there to do some coaching etc.

In reality Pakistan won't qualify for the World Cup in 4 years time or even most probably in my lifetime. This is a step in the right direction but let's not get too excited.

As for Madman if you can't see where an Englishman is gently poking fun at the Scots then it is really yourself who knows nought about Football.
Scots own England as far as football managers go.. the best English manager is fat sam.. as for the spotlight, I dont buy that argument.. spotlight does not bring on players.. you need a pool of talent which Pakistan does not have.. it will take 20 years with investment in youth for pakistan to qualify..
Pakistans football team is better than India.. so for them half the job is done anyway ;-)