PDA

View Full Version : OT: Phrases you havent heard in a long time

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 10:03
GA used a phrase the other day and the idea he said was why not havea thread to that effect

so lets have a few phrases tha tyou havent heard in a long time but always liked (sounds like im reading in a newschannel for petes sake)

1. tip top condition - GA

3. Shauqeen aadmit hai - Schiller

MIG
2nd February 2005, 10:05
Aadat say Majboor Hai ( Slave to habit )

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 10:06
ha ha good one mig :oD

aap kay ghulam hain sir

MIG
2nd February 2005, 10:15
:oD and even the real humble reply to praise:

"Warna Najeez Kiss Qabil Hai "

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 10:17
:oD so true

or

bus aap kay raaj main zinda hain

ya

aap ki dua hai

(i usually reply back, mainay to dua nahin ki waisay) :oD

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:05
Also the bug from the beach reported on a possible breach at the site; your notes and cricsicks are needed urgently. Come armed with a hunting crop and pink panther legs.

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 11:06
ha ha ha

where did you get that from marooned, havent heard the first one in ageeeeeees :-D
and pink panther now that was a league of its own :-D

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:09
:-D

btw the new pink panther will be out in the summer...and surprisingly it looks pretty good. (Steve Martin)

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 11:10
yar cant see steve martin as pink panther
i mean Sellers was it really

shot in the dark along with the Odd couple is one of the best comedies i have ever seen
:oD

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:12
Watch the trailer its really not that bad.

MIG
2nd February 2005, 11:13
Clouseau as an American ? Uggh!! But I wait to be surprised as I do like Steve Martin - kinda reminds me of my real life....

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:14
http://www.mgm.com/pinkpantherthemovie/home.html

watch the trailer.

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 11:20
just saw it

im happy kevin kline is in it

MIG
2nd February 2005, 11:21
Ok I take it back, Steve Martin looks spectacular in this role - just cant wait for the movie - just my type of simplistic humor !

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 11:24
im still not warming up to steve as clousseau after sellers but Kline looks great already :-D

waisay Mig, sad it seems and feels, i find myself relating more to you and a few 40 yr olds than the younger breed
damn
ha

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:26
I saw 'The Party' recently. Good stuff

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:28
http://batmanbegins.warnerbros.com/

another one that looks good.

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 11:29
marooned

you should see sellers' "Being there' now that was just excellent

MIG
2nd February 2005, 11:32
Is that the one in which he walks on water ...... I think thats a classic scene ?

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:32
Will do. I bought a Sellers collection of 5 movies for rupees 600 :-D but that is sitting at home. Saw the party and one or two of the pink panthers (returns or strikes i think). Will watch them next time I go back.

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:34
Yes Party right?

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 11:34
i have them on dvd marooned, can make a divx and send tem to ya?

the water one i think Mig, dont remember its about this guy obsessed with TV if you remember

MIG
2nd February 2005, 11:36

http://www.filmsite.org/bein.html

Being There (1979), subtitled "a story of chance," is a provocative black comedy -- a wonderful tale that satirizes politics, celebrity, media-obsession and television. The subtle film's slogan proclaimed: "Getting there is half the fun. Being there is all of it."

The film was directed by director Hal Ashby (already known for Harold and Maude (1971), The Last Detail (1973), Shampoo (1975), Bound for Glory (1976), and the acclaimed Vietnam war film Coming Home (1978)). The politically-satirical, overly-long film about mistaken identity and the television age was adapted from a 1971 novel by Jerzy Kosinski, with Sellers in a chameleon-like role in his second-to-last film. His role is a forerunner to the mentally-challenged Tom Hanks character in Forrest Gump (1994).

The film had two Academy Awards nominations, including Best Actor for Sellers (his second and last unsuccessful bid - he lost to Dustin Hoffman in Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)) for his superb understated performance, and a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Melvyn Douglas (his third and last career nomination and second Best Supporting Actor win that defeated Robert Duvall's nomination for Apocalypse Now (1979), among others).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a placid fable about Chance (Peter Sellers), a reclusive, illiterate, passive and simple-minded gardener who is well-groomed, fed on schedule, and dressed in custom-tailored suits, has lived his whole sheltered life on the walled-in estate of an eccentric millionaire named Jennings (his father?). His only knowledge of the "real" outside world, an encroaching inner-city ghetto area, is through watching television. His meals have always been prepared by the estate's black cook Louise (Ruth Attaway).

When Chance's benefactor dies, he is evicted by the estate's lawyers and wanders aimlessly and helplessly into the streets of Washington, D. C. As he emerges into the outside world, a version of Also sprach Zarathustra is heard on the soundtrack. He is confronted by a young urban gang, and threatens to 'turn them off' with a TV remote control channel-changer. Later in a freak accident, he is struck by a limousine owned by Eve Rand (Shirley MacLaine) and bruises his legs. She takes him to her dying, patriarchal, industrialist husband Benjamin's (Melvyn Douglas) home for treatment from her personal physician Dr. Allenby (Richard Dysart) and recuperation. During the trip, he identifies himself as "Chance...the gardener," which is incorrectly interpreted to be his full name - Chauncey Gardiner.

Chance's empty-headed pronouncements and generalizations, delivered dead-pan, are taken to be profoundly intelligent, metaphorically deep, and wisely insightful. He becomes wealthy, is treated as a famous celebrity in the media, and becomes a political advisor for the rich and powerful, including President 'Bobby' (Jack Warden). His new-found popularity leads to talk-show appearances, insider parties, book publisher advances, and the potential to become a presidential candidate.

He offers simplistic responses to the most difficult questions, such as:

First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.

Some of the amusing remarks he makes, almost Yogi Berra-isms, hint that he might actually be insightful:

- On looking out a car window: "This is just like television, only you can see much further."

- On planting seeds: "Spring is the time for planting."

- On economics (actually on gardening): "In a garden, growth has its season...as long as the roots are not severed, all is well, and all will be well in the garden."

- On watching TV (his most famous line, misinterpreted by Eve as an invitation to sexually stimulate herself while he watches her): "I like to watch (TV)."

- On death: "I've seen this before. It happens to old people."

The last line of the film is a quote from the late Mr. Rand, read at his funeral: "Life is a state of mind."

The final scene of his walking on water across a lake gives the film a fanciful element, and leaves the viewer debating, wondering about, and struggling to interpret the fable-like story.

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 11:39
the cover of the thinggy had him walking

it was an excellent movie really, loved every part of it should get it again though.

p.s mig you got email.

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:40
U-Hmm how much work will that be for you and how big will it be?

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 11:45
not much yar
simple conversion really

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:47
sure :-D

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 11:49
will convert that soon and email you the details
shouldnt be more than 700 mb

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:53
Ok thanks

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 11:54
no thanks yar
i dont like that :-)

Officer Barbrady
2nd February 2005, 11:55
btw i had some more suggestions...on the sugg forum...read when free
just some for the way the homepage looks

Schiller
2nd February 2005, 11:59
I did and will tell waheed about it
hes the guy and entra yar who the designing and all, im more the abckend programming kind of fellow :-D

Vegitto1
16th February 2012, 18:42
dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghat ka

ali85
16th February 2012, 18:51
Something Indian news anchors/reporters would chirp daily:

Ieeendia, the next shuper paaawer. :)))

I guess they are more mature now andf realize no need to toot their own horns.