PDA

View Full Version : So Pakistani

Saj
20th July 2017, 23:22
I attended a function recently and a few people sat near me kept using the phrase "that is so Pakistani".

What do you think is so Pakistani?

Is it stuff that is said, or actions, or behaviours that are so Pakistani?

Tommo
20th July 2017, 23:27
I bet whatever is considered to be 'so Pakistani' is also 'so the rest of the world'. Humans are humans and we pretty much say and do the same things across the merry globe; although we often refrain from admitting it.

StreetSmart
20th July 2017, 23:28
That's when you think you are not Pakistani or Typically done in Pakistan only and feel embarrassing doing it anywhere

ShadabFakhar
20th July 2017, 23:38
I attended a function recently and a few people sat near me kept using the phrase "that is so Pakistani".

What do you think is so Pakistani?

Is it stuff that is said, or actions, or behaviours that are so Pakistani?

What was being done when they said it?

Sirris
20th July 2017, 23:47
For me "so Pakistani" is when you can't be direct and upfront with your intentions and words and have to do mental gymnastics and take into account what "the others" would think of your action or words. For each and every action you first have to consider how it will be perceived by "the others".

لوگ کیا کہیں گے

"what will the people say" this phrase and mindset for me is the epitome of "so pakistani" it's the first thing I associate with Pakistani attitude and mentality.

Also "so Pakistani" is when you are too big to admit your mistakes or too big to apologize or too proud to change your point of view.

Hitman
20th July 2017, 23:55
Wanted to ask this. Do you Pakistani people dip your biscuits in tea? I'm asking this because a lot of us Indians do including myself :))

I just wonder do people from other places do it as well?

Abdul
21st July 2017, 00:07
When you've to hide certain things from your parents in this day & age despite them being so common.

Pakpak
21st July 2017, 00:23
Wanted to ask this. Do you Pakistani people dip your biscuits in tea? I'm asking this because a lot of us Indians do including myself :))

Only way I can eat biscuits:asadrauf

Rayyman
21st July 2017, 00:30

In USA, we dip cookies in milk. :inzi

yasir
21st July 2017, 00:31
I can imagine "typical Desi" or "So Desi", but "So Pakistani" must be some narrow version of those actions...

What I can think off is...Little extra "Thoodha Thaa" and "Phoon Phoopha" ;-)

Rayyman
21st July 2017, 00:33
When everyone decides to leave at the same time only for chai to be made and then standing in a circle talking for 20 minutes.

yasir
21st July 2017, 00:35

We had a joke in our home town, that a guy was refused of Rishata because he dipped biscuit in the tea at show and tell time ;-)

I remember spanked pretty loudly by my Grand Father, when we used "Peerch" for chai, when under the pump to finish the chai quickly :(

Slog
21st July 2017, 01:01
I bet whatever is considered to be 'so Pakistani' is also 'so the rest of the world'. Humans are humans and we pretty much say and do the same things across the merry globe; although we often refrain from admitting it.
This

I used to think that a lot of quirks are exclusive to desi folks but I've come to know most cultures have them too or atleast a close variant of it

shaz619
21st July 2017, 01:06

I think they do that a lot, they also at times get their tea cup and pour tea in the plate which came with the tea cup and then sip the tea from the plate :))) do you guys do that as well ?

Square Drive
21st July 2017, 01:10
I've heard the term "so brown", not sure about "so Pakistani".

Muhammad10
21st July 2017, 01:25
Mercurial displays on the cricket pitch. #SoPakistani

Hitman
21st July 2017, 01:27
I think they do that a lot, they also at times get their tea cup and pour tea in the plate which came with the tea cup and then sip the tea from the plate :))) do you guys do that as well ?

I've seen villagers here do that :)))

TM Riddle
21st July 2017, 01:30

My Grandpa does that .
:))) It's hilarious.

Abdullah
21st July 2017, 02:26
Saying I will be there in 5 minutes and turning up more than half an hour later.
10 people going to the airport to drop of 2 fliers
I don't think this is reserved for just Pakistanis though

Saj
21st July 2017, 02:31
When you can't say No.

Just say maybe, let's see or yes, when you really mean no.

Syed1
21st July 2017, 02:34
So Pakistani = Apnaiyaat

It is a difficult thing to define. Apaniyaat is the feeling you get after meeting a complete stranger but still feel like completely accustomed to and as if you have been friends for ages.

Syed1
21st July 2017, 02:35
My Grandpa does that .
:))) It's hilarious.

Theres actually a lot of science behind it. The chai cools down quicker in the plate and hence easier to finish in big gulps. :afridi

Cpt. Rishwat
21st July 2017, 02:51
When I was a kid in Pakistan with my mother we were getting pestered by beggars at Faisalabad train station so she gave one who was hovering round us a few small coins. I don't know what he was expecting but he was so disgusted he put his hand up in front of our faces and opened his fingers and let the coins slip through and fall to the ground.

"Fittay mooN!" my mother cried in horror at the snub to her charity.

I just stood there thinking, my God even the beggars here are too proud.

GudduBadmash
21st July 2017, 03:11
Giving away our last meals to our guests

Adil_94
21st July 2017, 04:17
GudduBadmash THIS IS PAKISTAN where people would give their last meals and go hungry for guests.

Adil_94
21st July 2017, 04:22
id say a common Desi thing is generally really bad timekeeping saying u will be somewhere in 5 mins but u end up taking half an hour. Starting wedding n any function an hour later than scheduled.

ShadabFakhar
21st July 2017, 04:23
Asking for outrageous discounts

ShadabFakhar
21st July 2017, 04:31
Tying a piece of cloth to a car. I've never understood why but it might be some sort of superstition

Having loads of family at the hospital all at once, causing headaches for nurses.

Double parking cars during Eid prayer and causing massive congestion

Adil_94
21st July 2017, 04:44
Being so Pakistani is generally something in our cricket where exciting fast bowling. mercurial cricket being unpredictable is something ascribe to Pakistan the most.

saadibaba
21st July 2017, 06:59
"That is so Pakistani" unfortunately in my experience at least is always associated with lazy, do numbari or with no regard to the community type of behavior. Like if someone was seen throwing trash on the street, that is so Pakistani or if someone exaggerated their achievements either in their profession or just personal stuff like bragging about bench pressing so many kilos when they really can't. Stuff like that usually. Mostly harmless but characteristic of some underlying inferiority complex.

www787
21st July 2017, 07:39
nothing is more Pakistani than delicious biryani.
Had biryani from other parts of the world but nothing beats Pakistani biryani.

TM Riddle
21st July 2017, 09:51
Theres actually a lot of science behind it. The chai cools down quicker in the plate and hence easier to finish in big gulps. :afridi
And also I have been told the "sudap sudap" sound you get gives an immense satisfaction and increases the taste manifolds :yk