PDA

View Full Version : Viswanathan Anand vs Garry Kasparov

Napa
16th August 2017, 02:47
Feels like I found a time machine, but Kasparov is really playing Anand in St. Louis.

Rapid game on right now. Blitz games will start in a couple of days.

Black Zero
16th August 2017, 04:12
Feels like I found a time machine, but Kasparov is really playing Anand in St. Louis.

Rapid game on right now. Blitz games will start in a couple of days.
It ended in draw.
They shook hands but moderator asked them to continue as they could not agree on draw before move#30.

Napa
16th August 2017, 04:24
It ended in draw.
They shook hands but moderator asked them to continue as they could not agree on draw before move#30.

It has been 22 years since these two played in New York for the World Championship.

A draw seems like the proper result between these two great former World Champions.

Suleiman
16th August 2017, 04:33
I never understood how chess came to be so popular in Russia and Eastern Europe in general. Don't know much about the game, but it seems like an odd region to be popular in.

SpiritOf1903
16th August 2017, 05:19
I never understood how chess came to be so popular in Russia and Eastern Europe in general. Don't know much about the game, but it seems like an odd region to be popular in.

Communism, lack of TV etc ..

JaDed
16th August 2017, 08:56
Communism, lack of TV etc ..

Lack of TV due to communism? In that way it actually ended up being better for that generation one can say.

JaDed
16th August 2017, 09:00
I remember a time when my friends used to discuss moves of chess games in class and putting it up in facebook as well,everyone is married now lol.

I like the crisp ways of discussing chess moves something amazing about it.

On the topic Anand is doing pretty badly and considering Kasprov hasn't played for such a long time,he is actually above Anand right now in positions.

MMHS
16th August 2017, 09:47

Chess is historically a Jew game. For a community of less than 1% of world's population (it never crossed 2% since around 500 AD), number of Jew chess master is astonishing - almost 50% Chess greats are Jew. Just from my head I can put at least 20 Jew chess greats (Kasparov himself is a Jew, so was Fischer). Jews are by far the most calculative, visionary, focused and they can concentrate deep, which are the key for a game like Chess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_chess_players

Chess as a game started to flourish around 200 years back & went into strength to strength for next 100 years - in that period, highest number of Jew actually was in Russia and they were extremely influential. This is probably the main reason, it has been a Russian (more preciously former Soviet Union) game, though now the game has spread across. In olden days, after Russia (consider entire USSR block), it was Poland, Hungary, Austria & Germany strongest in Chess, again most of the Masters were Jew.

Suleiman
16th August 2017, 09:57
Chess is historically a Jew game. For a community of less than 1% of world's population (it never crossed 2% since around 500 AD), number of Jew chess master is astonishing - almost 50% Chess greats are Jew. Just from my head I can put at least 20 Jew chess greats (Kasparov himself is a Jew, so was Fischer). Jews are by far the most calculative, visionary, focused and they can concentrate deep, which are the key for a game like Chess.

Chess as a game started to flourish around 200 years back & went into strength to strength for next 100 years - in that period, highest number of Jew actually was in Russia and they were extremely influential. This is probably the main reason, it has been a Russian (more preciously former Soviet Union) game, though now the game has spread across. In olden days, after Russia (consider entire USSR block), it was Poland, Hungary, Austria & Germany strongest in Chess, again most of the Masters were Jew.

Interesting. Yeah I thought it was initially due to communism like SpiritOf1903 said but that didn't make much sense since chess goes way beyond cold war era.

Napa
16th August 2017, 10:35

Currently, of the top 10 players, only Aronian is half-Jewish. Also Carlsen is arguably the strongest player to have ever played the game.

Napa
16th August 2017, 11:01
Speaking of great chess players, we should never forget Mir Sultan Khan "perhaps the greatest natural player of modern times".

A tragic figure, a reminder of how much talent the sub-continent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mir_Sultan_Khan

Slog
16th August 2017, 11:10
Lol for a good minute or so i thought this is about the cricket Vishwanath anand and wondered who the other guy was lmao

MMHS
16th August 2017, 17:47
Currently, of the top 10 players, only Aronian is half-Jewish. Also Carlsen is arguably the strongest player to have ever played the game.

The game has spread across, therefore all other nationals, people of different religion has come into the game, so naturally it won't remain monopoly to 0.25% population of world. But, there is a reason it's called "Jew National Game", and most of the former World Champs are Jew.

Also, in your list, 4 out of 10 are from former Soviet block - therefore, it's not true either that it's a Russian thing anymore.

MMHS
16th August 2017, 17:55
Speaking of great chess players, we should never forget Mir Sultan Khan "perhaps the greatest natural player of modern times".

Indeed. He was a self learned chess master, who didn't use "castling".

WhenSultansBowled
16th August 2017, 18:22

Indeed. Sultan won against the great Jose Raul Capablanca (The Don Bradman of chess).
Here is a list of some of the greatest victories of Sultan:
"When Sultans played Chess"
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chesscollection?cid=1005229

akki
16th August 2017, 18:26
india invented chess ,may be its bit controversial,but why there are not many great players from india except vishvanath ?

Napa
16th August 2017, 20:52
india invented chess ,may be its bit controversial,but why there are not many great players from india except vishvanath ?

The modern game is very different. Over the last century, openings have been studied and "chess theory" developed. Alekhine said Sultan Khan could have been World Champion had he known the openings. Capablanca called him a "genius".

So the India subcontinent has two chess greats in one century Khan and Anand, which is not bad going.