PDA

View Full Version : OT: Squash Racquet suggestions?

Gasherbrum
3rd February 2005, 01:22
Peoples,

Since there are some squash players here, maybe someone can suggest a decent racquet ... i was playing with a Dunlop Jonathan Power which i had bought almost 2 yrs ago ... eventually the power of my forehand resulted in a broken racket (ok, so i hit the friggin wall). now i'm stuck with my old wilson hyperhammer 150. not bad itself, but hate the powerholes. i should clarify i'm no state champion or nothing...

anyhooo, anyone have any suggestions on another fairly priced racquet (around $150 ish) they would recommend? loved the dunlop, have heard head racquets tend to be a little fragile ... what say?

Naveed
3rd February 2005, 01:32
Gasher,

Where do you play in Toronto? I play at the Dunfield Club. I had a Head 140 that recently broke and I picked up a Dunlop Custom Pro for around $140. There are 3 handle choices that you can screw in to find the balance that is right for you. I just love this racquet and you probably will if you liked your old Dunlop. The club pro was pushing the Wilson racquets and I just found them way too stiff.

Schiller
3rd February 2005, 02:00
glad to see two more squash guys

Head is not to my liking, i find it a little like naved said fragile plus never liked its balance a hell lot

My personaly preference has always been Prince More Dominant. Its not that heavy either (for a lighter good one, id say Prince Air Stick)

Theres another Prince one (though a tad expensive, the Approach one, havent seen it myself but heard good things)

Again if youre going to bang it against the walls then its another issue :-D

But my suggest would be that you should go to the shop and try to test out a few yourself. Youll get a better idea of what you feel comfortable with .

Schiller
3rd February 2005, 02:04
Never used wilson though, so cannot comment.

Gasherbrum
3rd February 2005, 04:29
thanks guys ... naveed, no club, don't have the time unfortunately. they've got squash courts in the building where i live, some other residents play at various clubs... in fact have to rush down now for our weekly squash night. where'd u buy the racket ? i got mine from national sports or something, before that from sportcheck...

Naveed
3rd February 2005, 07:09
Just got back from a squash match myself. I bought my racquet at Sporting Life on Yonge between Eglinton and Lawrence. Reasonable selection and prices there. Another good place is Ron Sloan sports on Bayview. A lot more selction although a bit pricier.

If you you ever have the time and want to get serious (if you work downtown) consider the Adelaide Club. The pro there is Pakistani, an exceptional player and a really nice guy.

Sage
3rd February 2005, 07:14
Men don't play squash :-^

3rd February 2005, 07:15
Great to see the lads that play squash bonding :-D

Naveed
3rd February 2005, 07:27

Oh so you don't respect Jahangiur Khan?

PlanetPakistan
31st January 2007, 04:04
I normally use prince! What kind of ball you folks use?

:))) ..i take that you have never seen or played squash!

madaboutlfc
31st January 2007, 04:14
Im using Wilson at the moment its a bit still and heavy.. Im thinking of getting dunlop.. btw, are you guys using the 9 points or the 15 points.. I played yesterday with a pro who used to be a top 20 ranked player the power he was getting was amazing.. any tips on how to get those sort of power in.. do you guys train for it as well?

madaboutlfc
31st January 2007, 04:15
I normally use prince! What kind of ball you folks use?

:))) ..i take that you have never seen or played squash!
using the dunlop double yellow dot pro i think.. do you go through many balls..

PlanetPakistan
31st January 2007, 04:26
Im using Wilson at the moment its a bit still and heavy.. Im thinking of getting dunlop.. btw, are you guys using the 9 points or the 15 points.. I played yesterday with a pro who used to be a top 20 ranked player the power he was getting was amazing.. any tips on how to get those sort of power in.. do you guys train for it as well?
We play 9 points game...
i used to regularly play with this 70 year old guy who used to play with Hashim Khan(it was more of a warm-up game for him) but unfortunately i don't have the club membership anymore and haven't played squash for almost a year!

PlanetPakistan
31st January 2007, 04:27
using the dunlop double yellow dot pro i think.. do you go through many balls..
yea i use the double dot ball too....for some reason i am never able to time the single dot ball!

Gasherbrum
31st January 2007, 05:45
double dot (yellow) and 9 pt games are typically standard for pick-up games. tournaments can be a different story.
currently using the following dunlop:

http://www.squashunlimited.com/CandyPress/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=293

madman - ask the pro how much time he has spent on the courts and you'll get the answer to your question. one of the hardest hitters of the ball i've seen was a skinny little punk that would've been blown over by a strong wind. its all about timing and form.

madaboutlfc
31st January 2007, 06:00
what standard do you play at gash.. the pro is in a different league to me and i dont think i will ever be of that standard.. the problem is i seem to beat a lot of amateurs who i play with and its got a bit boring.. i played the pro last night he proper kicked my rear but that is to be expected.. is the squash scene good in canada

madaboutlfc
2nd February 2007, 06:23
Gash, whats your opinion on Dunlops.. I havent used them.. Im thinking of getting the Dunlop Ice Custom Elite but have heard its fragile

Easa
2nd February 2007, 15:14
I don't play squash enough to know all the names of the brands or own a racquet, but I have played a few times, using my friend's dunlop.

PlanetPakistan
3rd February 2007, 03:53
I don't play squash enough to know all the names of the brands or own a racquet, but I have played a few times, using my friend's dunlop.
you should try to play as much as possible...it will keep you in excellent shape! i really rue the fact that i stopped playing it!