PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Pakistanis returning to Pakistan

gkb101277867
4th June 2018, 01:12
So I've read a few times now that a lot of Pakistanis are returning to the country from the UAE after having lived there for decades. This is especially true for those who stayed in Saudi Arabia due to the lack of opportunities and introduction of policies such as the expat tax.

My qs is what does this mean for Pakistan in the short and long term? Some things that spring to mind would be a reduction in the remittances sent by people who are overseas. Also an important point would be that the population would further increase, with further unemployment and competition for jobs would reach breaking point.

gkb101277867
5th June 2018, 00:18
Anyone?

Varun
5th June 2018, 00:28
It'll be for the greater good of Pakistan's economy.

Slog
5th June 2018, 03:14

Not sure. Most returning are from Gulf countries and generally are unskilled Labor

DeadBall
5th June 2018, 03:27
Most aren't returning of their own free will but are being forced to return. Skilled and unskilled labour alike. There are some who are at retirement age and want to return to the homeland but most people able to work abroad do not want to come back, especially the latter generations who were born and bred abroad and have just visited Pakistan for a week or two during vacations and would basically be lost in Pakistan.

It's easy to be an e-Pakistani when you have another Passport to fall back on or are well off but the ground reality is very different.

Couch Cricketer
5th June 2018, 11:22
We as a nation need to worry about this a lot. Thousands of Pakistanis are coming back many of them have been exposed to harsher form of Islam (wahhabism). With high unemployment that we have they would allow easy recruitment for terrorist organisations like ISIS etc. Even India and Bangladesh would probably face similar problems as they also have many workers returning from Arab countries as well.

gkb101277867
5th June 2018, 14:45

What about the increase in unemployment?

Varun
5th June 2018, 15:18
What about the increase in unemployment?

Either supply of jobs will meet demand for employment, or future generations will have lesser children to adapt to the lower demand.

Like I said, greater good.

proud_pakistani
5th June 2018, 16:24
I am living in Dubai, UAE and have been pondering over the possibility of moving back to Pakistan but frankly I am very comfortable in Dubai. The only reason I am considering this is the market is really bad, with VAT coming in costs are going up continuously.

I am a businessman and margins are also reducing but its hard to start a business in Pakistan which is why I have not yet ventured there.

Napa
5th June 2018, 20:32
I am living in Dubai, UAE and have been pondering over the possibility of moving back to Pakistan but frankly I am very comfortable in Dubai. The only reason I am considering this is the market is really bad, with VAT coming in costs are going up continuously.

I am a businessman and margins are also reducing but its hard to start a business in Pakistan which is why I have not yet ventured there.

The long term outlook is completely determined by the price of oil. If the price of oil remains low, then countries like SA will not have the money to keep importing labor, and there will be less money for everyone including businessmen. SA's forex reserves have fallen from $800b+ to $400b+ in just a few years.

Though oil prices have recovered a bit, the long term prospects are not good. The US shale manufacturers keep getting more and more efficient, and alternatives energy sources are becoming more viable. In the short term, if Iran is dragged into some sort of a war and Iranian oil is taken off the market, then oil prices will recover.

Savak
5th June 2018, 20:56
Saudi Arabia has made it difficult for low skilled Pakistani's to save much. They have increased the amount of taxes on the spouse and kids and there is no incentive for people to live and work there anymore as there was in the past.

proud_pakistani
7th June 2018, 10:13
Saudi Arabia has made it difficult for low skilled Pakistani's to save much. They have increased the amount of taxes on the spouse and kids and there is no incentive for people to live and work there anymore as there was in the past.

Im in the construction business. A lot of laborers have moved from Saudi to UAE in the last 2 years.

proud_pakistani
7th June 2018, 10:17
The long term outlook is completely determined by the price of oil. If the price of oil remains low, then countries like SA will not have the money to keep importing labor, and there will be less money for everyone including businessmen. SA's forex reserves have fallen from $800b+ to $400b+ in just a few years.

Though oil prices have recovered a bit, the long term prospects are not good. The US shale manufacturers keep getting more and more efficient, and alternatives energy sources are becoming more viable. In the short term, if Iran is dragged into some sort of a war and Iranian oil is taken off the market, then oil prices will recover.

Yes its important for the oil prices to go up for this region. Its too heavily dependent on oil.

PakLFC
7th June 2018, 10:32
They have to accept a drop in lifestyle when considering a return. Those coming back from the Middle East are largely unskilled workers. Reason could be a lack of jobs and instability in that region. Not many Pakistanis from Europe, UK, USA or Canada are returning to Pak at the moment.

gkb101277867
7th June 2018, 17:19
They have to accept a drop in lifestyle when considering a return. Those coming back from the Middle East are largely unskilled workers. Reason could be a lack of jobs and instability in that region. Not many Pakistanis from Europe, UK, USA or Canada are returning to Pak at the moment.

How does the return of UAE Pakistanis affect Pakistan? Increased unemployment? Overpopulation? More pressure on public services ?

PakLFC
8th June 2018, 10:03
How does the return of UAE Pakistanis affect Pakistan? Increased unemployment? Overpopulation? More pressure on public services ?

They will most likely struggle to find jobs in Pakistan. If so will turn to crime so yes unemployment would be the most crucial thing the lack of which means turning to crime.

King-Misbah
8th June 2018, 15:36
I will return to Pakistan if PTI forms government in shallah. It wont be straight away but after 2,3 years :)