PDA

View Full Version : Will you save your wife or your mother in a hypothetical scenario?

The_Odd_One
15th July 2019, 22:40
Hypothetical but a very interesting scenario:

You are on a ship and it sinks. You have been travelling with your wife and you mother. There is a place for just one person on the lifeboat. Who will you give it to? Your wife or your mother?

I came across this question on Quora and read some really interesting answers. Would love to see PP posters point of view on this.

sweep_shot
15th July 2019, 22:41
Mother 100%.

Wife can die in that case.

The_Odd_One
15th July 2019, 22:43
Mother 100%.

What a terrible thing to say! Why would you pick your mother over your wife? Please provide a reason.

AdamM97
15th July 2019, 22:44
For me, it would be my mother. There is no one, not even a spouse that can replace my mother.

In today’s day and age, divorces happen regularly. Also, i most people on PP will agree that they trust their mothers more than their wives.

AdamM97
15th July 2019, 22:45
What a terrible thing to say! Why would you pick your mother over your wife? Please provide a reason.

Why is it terrible? I sense you posted this thread to point out how ’sexist’ and ’backwards’ Pakistani men are. Oh well.

CricketDon
15th July 2019, 22:51
Why is it terrible? I sense you posted this thread to point out how ’sexist’ and ’backwards’ Pakistani men are. Oh well.

I think it’s more so he came to a 100% conclusion with no thought or explanation or anything. Most Pakistani weddings are arranged and neither truly trust or love each other. Hence why the wife and son always gravitate back to their mother and fathers.

AdamM97
15th July 2019, 22:55
I think it’s more so he came to a 100% conclusion with no thought or explanation or anything. Most Pakistani weddings are arranged and neither truly trust or love each other. Hence why the wife and son always gravitate back to their mother and fathers.

Lack of trust is much more common amongst couples who married for love imo.

Most people(man or woman) will find it hard to completely trust their spouses, despite the constant romanticization of love=trust.
It’s only natural to trust your parents over your spouse, this applies to both genders.

sweep_shot
15th July 2019, 23:00

Wife can leave me like a selfish animal. Mother is always there.

I don't think I need to explain to an adult why mother is more important than wife. Answer is pretty obvious.

Rayyman
15th July 2019, 23:00
Hypothetical but a very interesting scenario:

You are on a ship and it sinks. You have been travelling with your wife and you mother. There is a place for just one person on the lifeboat. Who will you give it to? Your wife or your mother?

I came across this question on Quora and read some really interesting answers. Would love to see PP posters point of view on this.

Will I be dying too?

If it's 3 people, and only 2 are surviving, then I'll pick my wife and me.

If only 1 is surviving, then I'll pick my mom.

I'm sure my mom and wife will agree with these as they're the best option.

Mian
15th July 2019, 23:05

What a terrible post you create this weird thread without sharing your own choice and reasons behind that choice and when others pick one you bash them and judge them? You should have started the thread by giving your choice and reason to back it instead of bashing the posters when they answer your question a weird thread deserves weird replying without judging anyone.

Mamoon
15th July 2019, 23:10
Mother over everything and anything in the world.

WebGuru
15th July 2019, 23:12
Mother without blinking an eye...

The_Odd_One
15th July 2019, 23:19

How is it sexist? It is a choice between wife and mother. Both are women.

Theo_14
15th July 2019, 23:19
Losing both or either would be painful, no comparison.

A mother only comes in your life once, you don’t choose the mother; whereas this principle doesn’t apply to your wife.

The_Odd_One
15th July 2019, 23:29
What a terrible post you create this weird thread without sharing your own choice and reasons behind that choice and when others pick one you bash them and judge them? You should have started the thread by giving your choice and reason to back it instead of bashing the posters when they answer your question a weird thread deserves weird replying without judging anyone.

My apologies for not giving my answer first. Here it is:

I will pick my wife 10 out of 10 times over my mother in this situation.

My mother is a wonderful person and I love her dearly. However, I also know that my mother is in a stage of life where not many people are really dependent on her. All of her kids have grown and married. She has lived a happy life with her husband (my father). She is lucky enough to have seen and/or done most of the things that an average person desires in life.

My wife, on the other hand, is young and is the mother of our child. In this hypothetical scenario, if my wife dies too, who is going to raise my child? Will I want my child to grow up without any of her parents? I do not think so.

I am 100% confident that if my mother has to make this decision, she would pick my wife over herself too.

The_Odd_One
15th July 2019, 23:30
Wife can leave me like a selfish animal. Mother is always there.

I don't think I need to explain to an adult why mother is more important than wife. Answer is pretty obvious.

So, it is Ok for your kids to lose their mom but not OK for a grown up you to lose his mother?

sweep_shot
16th July 2019, 00:01
So, it is Ok for your kids to lose their mom but not OK for a grown up you to lose his mother?

Precisely. Many kids live without mothers and they turn out to be fine.

You can replace your wife with another wife. You can't replace your mother.

Hamza_
16th July 2019, 00:08
Wife

The_Odd_One
16th July 2019, 00:11
Precisely. Many kids live without mothers and they turn out to be fine.

You can replace your wife with another wife. You can't replace your mother.

Then, how will you replace the mother for your kids. For them, none else can be their mother.

sweep_shot
16th July 2019, 00:15
Then, how will you replace the mother for your kids. For them, none else can be their mother.

I believe that we have a responsibility to save elderly people and children first. Since mother is older than wife, mother gets to be saved first.

Furthermore, I am a Muslim and in my religion, mother comes first.

The_Odd_One
16th July 2019, 00:20
I believe that we have a responsibility to save elderly people and children first. Since mother is older than wife, mother gets to be saved first.

Furthermore, I am a Muslim and in my religion, mother comes first.

No, she doesn't. Did not Allah create Adam and Eve and not Even and then Adam?

sweep_shot
16th July 2019, 00:22
No, she doesn't. Did not Allah create Adam and Eve and not Even and then Adam?

This thread is about mother vs wife. Not Adam vs Eve. Wrong comparison.

Yes. God created Adam (PBUH) first.

rockyboy2018
16th July 2019, 00:24
Well, definitely mother. Last day before my mom died she had no energy she stopped eating for a few days as her kidneys got failed -she conjured enough enrgy to ask me a question "ASAD, what would you do in future as I was 21 years old". After carefully analyzing the behavior of relationships like dad or siblings or friends and relatives - I have to say only one thing: MOTHER TRUMPS OVER EVERY RELATIONSHIP EVER CONCEIVED IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

MY TWO EUROS

Syed1
16th July 2019, 00:35
Well, definitely mother. Last day before my mom died she had no energy she stopped eating for a few days as her kidneys got failed -she conjured enough enrgy to ask me a question "ASAD, what would you do in future as I was 21 years old". After carefully analyzing the behavior of relationships like dad or siblings or friends and relatives - I have to say only one thing: MOTHER TRUMPS OVER EVERY RELATIONSHIP EVER CONCEIVED IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

MY TWO EUROS

May she rest in peace and sorry to hear about your loss. Inna lillahi wa inna illahi rajioon

WC-Passion
16th July 2019, 00:40
Mother for me, but it's not the same for everyone. Some people grow up in abusive households only for their eventual spouses to help them out in adulthood.

sjahmed23
16th July 2019, 01:02
Mother 100%.

Lmao I cracked up. Would noy even think twice.

sweep_shot
16th July 2019, 01:13
Lmao I cracked up. Would noy even think twice.

No need for second thought.

It is like you are the umpire and there is a plumb LBW. You raise the finger instantly.

sjahmed23
16th July 2019, 01:37
No need for second thought.

It is like you are the umpire and there is a plumb LBW. You raise the finger instantly.

But what if wife is mother of your kids?

Savak
16th July 2019, 01:41
In today's times, a guy being a mamas boy and someone who always listens to his mother 24/7 is a big no no in today's me too generation

WebGuru
16th July 2019, 01:43
For most here is the answer:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c3_NsPqpgOg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched this video many times and everytime it makes me laugh so hard :)))

sweep_shot
16th July 2019, 02:28
But what if wife is mother of your kids?

No big deal. There are 3 options in that case:

Option #1: You marry a new woman and children have a new mother.
Option #2: You let your own mother (their grandmother) take care of them.
Option #3: You try to raise your children as a single dad.

Halaribo
16th July 2019, 02:47
The arrogance of men.

Nowhere in the scenario does it say YOU are safe or going to survive.

"Nobody can replace my mother..."

"I'll marry again..."

Nah mate, you're gonna get pecked to death by all sealife and then dropped as ***** after you drown.

The above options are all irrelevant to you as you become one with the sea.

Savak
16th July 2019, 03:15
During the Holy Prophets time, some of his wives would sacrifice and compromise on their time to allow him to spend extra time with his other wives and I am sure they would have permitted him to allow him to favor his mother over them

How times have changed? Someone in the family made an argument that Islam is an outdated religion with a lot of laws that are not in line with the modern world. I wonder if people agree