PDA

View Full Version : GEO TV making a fortune, may breakdown of how much money they make.

suhaib
11th January 2007, 09:41
well i was interested in this so done some research on how much a big drama makes form geo tv.

well the main drama comes on at 8, so advertising fees are Rs.50,000 per 30 second from 8-9.

the drama is about 35 minutes long on average, and a 5 minute song is usally played at the end of the time so that gives 20 minutes of advertising,

so per minute they charge 100,000 rupees

20 x 100,000 = Rs.2,000,000

thats is 20 lak rupees and no it doesnt stop there, then they have sponsers for the dramas, which my guess is that they take 10 laks for that.

so thats 30 laks they make for a 1 hour drama sloted at 8-9.

and then again, thats not it, they make much more for broadcasting it in UK, USA and the middle east, my estimate is that they make atleast 15 more laks from overseas

so thats 45 laks for just a 1 hour drama, i may have even missed something

i wonder how much the producers get, maybe they should start trying to make better dramas with this type of money.

i also think that ARY earns alot more money then this maybe around 50-60 laks per drama at 8-9, also they must be making fortunes from cricket broadcasting.

Asim2Good
11th January 2007, 10:02
I haven't their dramas so can't comment abt quality of their drama. But dramas with so many adverts, ppl don't even watch them. and most TV channels are making that money coz of number of advertising they put in their dramas.

jsut look at some channel's coverage of cricket matches. Ad when hit boundry, in between every over, on wicket fall. Even when match is on progress, they make screen smaller and put add under.

Zechariah
11th January 2007, 11:13
Hopefully they use that money for the good.

suhaib
11th January 2007, 18:00
I haven't their dramas so can't comment abt quality of their drama. But dramas with so many adverts, ppl don't even watch them. and most TV channels are making that money coz of number of advertising they put in their dramas.

jsut look at some channel's coverage of cricket matches. Ad when hit boundry, in between every over, on wicket fall. Even when match is on progress, they make screen smaller and put add under.

well ary dramas have got alot better but geo looks like its investing all there profits in putting make up on there actors.

Nauman
11th January 2007, 18:59
Do you even know how much it costs to run a TV channel? Surely all the revenue you mentioned doesnt go in their pockets.

Salman
11th January 2007, 19:34
Do you even know how much it costs to run a TV channel? Surely all the revenue you mentioned doesnt go in their pockets.

agreed, they have come a long way since sharing the one sherwani days...

lahori
11th January 2007, 19:36

50-50's khusoosi report :))

suhaib
11th January 2007, 20:58

all that is to do with production houses, the channels only major operational cost is buying the programes off producers, im sure the 8 '0' clock ones dnt even get 10 laks from that.

Kashif
11th January 2007, 21:57
Geo TV have been giving away free television boxes with built in Geo receivers to many organisations all over Pakistan. These are capable of only playing Geo TV once connected to cable. The idea is that they are enforcing people to view Geo and hence attracting lots of sponsors.

They are definitely making lots of money, but they are spending lots too.

suhaib
11th January 2007, 22:09
Geo TV have been giving away free television boxes with built in Geo receivers to many organisations all over Pakistan. These are capable of only playing Geo TV once connected to cable. The idea is that they are enforcing people to view Geo and hence attracting lots of sponsors.

They are definitely making lots of money, but they are spending lots too.

im sure there making many times more then there spending, its a good stratergy what they have done but probably ary will follow it.