PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview tips

JammydodgA
17th October 2007, 23:48
I have a job interview on Friday, it's for a Saturday job. It's only my second interview, the first was a few years ago, so I'm a bit out of practice on the whole interviews thing.

I already know what I'm going to wear, just wondered if anyone knows of general questions that they're gonna ask or any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

filosofee
17th October 2007, 23:53
I have a job interview on Friday, it's for a Saturday job. It's only my second interview, the first was a few years ago, so I'm a bit out of practice on the whole interviews thing.

I already know what I'm going to wear, just wondered if anyone knows of general questions that they're gonna ask or any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

Try this link JDA, to Guardian newspaper's interview tips:

http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/careers/200256/298301/interview-tips-podcast?grse=grse_1&email=chemon_education_oct07

Good luck.

Boys_played_well
17th October 2007, 23:58
The best thing you can do to prepare yourself is to prepare so thoroughly that you leave nothing to chance. This means researching the hell out of the company, studying the job requirements and linking examples of your experience to each requirement, so that it is clear in your head why you are good for the job, and reviewing your resume thoroughly so you can walk through it if asked, citing relevant examples on the way. Practice your answers to potential questions by writing them down and then saying them out loud so you get used to speaking the words.

If you really want this job, cover all bases and leave nothing to chance.

mike89
18th October 2007, 00:23
what exactly is the job title?

JammydodgA
18th October 2007, 00:29
Nothing major, Saturday Sales Assistant

Mohsin
18th October 2007, 00:31
Whilst in the interview, imagine the interviewer wearing nothing but their underwear. And like B.P.W said

If you really want this job, cover all bases and leave nothing to chance.

MIG
18th October 2007, 00:41
Important tip - whatever happens, do not lie ! Do not bluff and do not believe the stories/folklore about people getting good jobs by lying through their noses.

Oxy
18th October 2007, 00:46
Nothing major, Saturday Sales AssistantI dont think yo really need to prepare for these sort of jobs anymore. Just common sense - and you'll get it.

The only thing stopping you from getting it is if you dont seem interested during the interview.

99% of the assistants that currently work are pretty much brain dead - and they didnt have any problems getting the job.

Zechariah
18th October 2007, 01:17
They usually ask me, so who is this 'Nauman'

Your goals in life
Lesosns learnt
How will contribute to company or job
Your views on punctuality

Since your job wont require such things, just smile and be yourself and remain confident and relaxed and you sure to get it inshAllah.

Muzy
18th October 2007, 01:25
with sales assistant jobs they may ask questions related to the shop/company products, how much you are aware of customers needs etc, they will ask you why would you like to work for them, and if you have ANY relevant experience tell them briefly about it, but if you have irrelevant experience to this specific job u can still use the experience and relate it to as working with people (dont matter where as long as you have interacted) if u say u dont have any experience this will let you down, try and be confident and insure them you are willing to learn and will pick up things quick (if you are to be trained)

oxy is right, sales assistant jobs are easier to get now than they were before lolz gudluck and let us know how it goes

ps. make sure your breath doesnt smell :p (kidding, actually it wud be a good tip haha sorry ignore me)

12thMan
18th October 2007, 02:30
Be confident, not shy, be friendly, smile and practice sales pitch before going
"yeh surkhi yeh powder do do ruppay mein"

lahori
18th October 2007, 06:30
Important tip - whatever happens, do not lie ! Do not bluff and do not believe the stories/folklore about people getting good jobs by lying through their noses.

I would also say do not lie but do not hesitate to exaggerate either.

PlanetPakistan
18th October 2007, 06:49
Be confident, not shy, be friendly, smile and practice sales pitch before going
"yeh surkhi yeh powder do do ruppay mein"
...umm where the heck did that come from? :))

If you are fully interested in getting the job then you shouldn't have a problem Samieh.
I failed one of my interviews because a) i was shy b) only half/quarter interested.

MCMLXXXII
18th October 2007, 09:16
The most important things about interviews is that it is a two way process. Any interview you go to, you have to remember that it is not just the company interviewing you but also, you interviewing the company. You have to find the right fit for your self so you should ask questions about the job and find out if you really want to work there. Employers also prefer candidates who do this as they realize that the person cares enough about the job andis pro-active and you also come across better in the interview and are more confident rather than someone who just responds to questions during the interview.

Invictus
18th October 2007, 10:51

Umm yeah definately dont listen to the Baray mian. Back in his days bell bottoms were considered cool.
Just walk in and say, "I just dont understand how this company existed without me working here?". This just boggles my mind. I just cant figure out for the life of me why are you even bothering to interview me when we both know the company and you need me. Help me help the company which will help you. So basically by hiring me you will be doing a favour to yourself, now where do I sign?

Big Daddy
18th October 2007, 11:22

I swear u could not be more wrong here. I lied my way and got 5 job offers during my interview days. But then again I am the exception that proves the rule, hoooo haaaa

MIG
19th October 2007, 02:27
The value of integrity. For a few dollars people will sell themselves to the devil!

Having said that - dont believe BD - he is a A+ student - I have seen his resume - he didnt lie at all!

As for invictus - Chotay bachon kee batain na sunna karro - a lot of Eastern wisdom in these white hairs !

Remember, your interviewer can see through most ** that you will throw at them - dont be smart just know your strengths and be honest.

zushy_786
19th October 2007, 02:42
The value of integrity. For a few dollars people will sell themselves to the devil!

Having said that - dont believe BD - he is a A+ student - I have seen his resume - he didnt lie at all!

As for invictus - Chotay bachon kee batain na sunna karro - a lot of Eastern wisdom in these white hairs !

Remember, your interviewer can see through most ** that you will throw at them - dont be smart just know your strengths and be honest.

A little exaggeration of your strengths doesn't hurt however i.e. making your previous work experience sound somewhat more valuable to the organization, even if the previous work experience was mundane...The employer will want to know what the person can contribute to the organization and how the mundane part of the position was turned into a learning opportunity...

In other words, don't blatantly lie about yourself (no Invictus it doesn't work, trust me), but a little exaggeration will always put you ahead of the applicant pool and make the difference between the person being hired or his resume/application being binned....

waqararif11
19th October 2007, 03:39
just be confident thats the best advice you'll get

JammydodgA
19th October 2007, 03:41
Thanks for the tips!!

Umm yeah definately dont listen to the Baray mian. Back in his days bell bottoms were considered cool.
Just walk in and say, "I just dont understand how this company existed without me working here?". This just boggles my mind. I just cant figure out for the life of me why are you even bothering to interview me when we both know the company and you need me. Help me help the company which will help you. So basically by hiring me you will be doing a favour to yourself, now where do I sign?
:))) :))) If I had the confidence to say that to someone, there would be no problems at all lol.

I'll just do my best and see what happens, it really won't be the end of the world if I don't get it (those days'll probably be after I graduate)

ADDY123
24th October 2007, 23:52
So they're going to ask you general questions and specific questions. If this is your second interview (in life), then this is a good idea...getting prepared. Here is my list of general interview questions (http://www.cvtips.com/interview_question.html). But I would definitely advise you to have a look at the targeted ones or the specific ones too, especially to the so-called "problem-solving" questions ("What would you do if...")
Good luck!

Wazeeri
25th October 2007, 01:07
Be yourself, people who are over prepared or fobbing can be seen from a mile away.
Just believe that you are good enough to be a Saturday Sales assistant. Prepare as much as you can but If you don't know anything just say you don't know, graciously instead of trying to make things up and looking like a fool.

Take this from a guy who has been rejected like a blue lota with brown stains on it by pretty much everyone and accepted by the same people a few months later.

12thMan
25th October 2007, 01:16
the interview was last week. so watch out for one of the three

Aallo, teenday bengan do do ruppay killo bhai

mazaydar guram guram taza taza bun kabab

America ka gharara do do ruppay mein (from fifty fifty)

to find out where she is working (produce, fast food or department store) watch out for these narays and rush in to get a discount

JammydodgA
16th November 2007, 02:57
Kept forgetting to post an update.

I did get the job but hesitated over the hours, the woman said she'd give me time to think about it but never called back....rather rude!

Daoud
19th November 2007, 08:57
Have an interview tomorrow for what is initially going to be primarily an accounting role, while my background is a more of a finance and economics one. But the job seems good in the sense that a) it is a job and b) good experience at least for a few years

thesaurusrus
19th November 2007, 09:10
Whilst in the interview, imagine the interviewer wearing nothing but their underwear.

and hope it's a woman

thesaurusrus
19th November 2007, 09:16
Have an interview tomorrow for what is initially going to be primarily an accounting role, while my background is a more of a finance and economics one. But the job seems good in the sense that a) it is a job and b) good experience at least for a few years

seems better than going for a job as a lion tamer

FAQ
19th November 2007, 10:45
Yes! Just be yourself and you will get the appropriate job!

12thMan
19th November 2007, 21:02
Yes! Just be yourself and you will get the appropriate job!
can't really go to interview in lungi and bunyan. Well one can put on sun glasses and a gold chain to make himself look prepared and casual-formal. Are you going to say that the appropriate job is naan maker? :(