PDA

View Full Version : Should The Urdu Alphabet Be Simplified?

TAK
23rd December 2007, 19:08
For example:

Do we really need the س ص ث to represent the S sound?

Do we really need the ذ ز ژ ظ ض to represent the Z sound?

I know in Arabic the pronunciation of each of these letters may be different, but is there REALLY a discenrbable difference in Urdu pronunciation of words containg these letters?

W63L35
23rd December 2007, 20:55
There are thousands of words that have different meaning if you change one letter with similar sound. For example;

Back - کمر ...............................Moon - قمر

TAK
23rd December 2007, 21:01
لیکن، تلفظ میں کوئی فرق ہے ؟

W63L35
23rd December 2007, 21:08
No, there is no difference...so, if we simplify and get rid on one of them then how would you differenciate between two words.

But...there ARE a lot of words where the similar sounding letters are used but the sounds are different based on zair/zabar/paish.

TAK
23rd December 2007, 22:07
i think common sense would dictate the meaning as in "mairee qamr mein dard hai" if somebody said that to you you would know what he meant and in the same way if it was written you would know what it meant ???

i am no urdu expert either, i am in the process of relearning it but am strugling with 2 qaafs which sound the same, and those letters above and a few others like the alif and ain which often are pronounced the same way.

another example :

مخصوص اور احساس

the s sound is the same in both words but in one a س is used and in the other a ص

:20:

Wazeeri
23rd December 2007, 23:50
There is a difference between pronounciation if you speak properly.
Kiyaf ک has a bit of an noon-ghuna ں sound sound in it, Kaaf ق is a clean KA sound.

ص has a bit of a "th..." sound in it. Makh-S-thoos.

But I agree some letters are redundant characters borrowed from arabic which are not needed anymore.

iZeeshan
2nd January 2008, 05:42
سجود is not the same as
ثجود

In fact, completely different.

TAK
2nd January 2008, 06:11
does the second word even exist?

if it did would the pronunciation in urdu be exactly the same for both words?

the ث is a good example, words begining with it take up barely 2 pages in an urdu dictionary, is there any real need for it, considering we already have a س and the ص ?

aqibraja
3rd January 2008, 19:19
ت ط is one i get confused with alot.

aqibraja
3rd January 2008, 19:24
ت ط is one i often get confused with . For example what is the difference in the following words.
حت حط

12thMan
4th January 2008, 22:54
میں نے آپ لوگوں کے بہت دلچسپ مشورے پڑھے، مجھے بہت خوشی ہوی اور فخر ہے کے ایسے ایسے عالم موجود ہیں یہاں، کوی ان کو بھی معوقع دو

Murakh
8th November 2012, 22:43
hmmm