PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC Thread

Amir
20th April 2008, 02:48
Just got back from the home opener an hour ago and what an atmosphere and game! Gorgeous day. Was around 20 degrees outside and with a nice breeze so you didnt get too hot!

Arrived there an hour early and checked out some of the pre game festivities. And then when the gate opened, it was an awesome feeling. All you ccan see is a sea of red shirts and fans just shouting and chanting. My seats were quite decent as they were right under the media box, so we had shade :D

Anyways, regarding the game. We dominated the first half. They did not even get a shot on us (not even one off target). In the 24th minute, we sang the Danny Dichio song (since he scored our first ever goal in the 24th minute).

Former French international and Derby superstar Lauren Robert (that is what the TFC site said), scored in the 31st minute on a low free kick. The place went nuts and then we began to do our Seven Nations Army chant (since the group that made that is Canadian).

Former Barnesly player Rohan Ricketts was tearing it up. Some good crosses in the box and dangled the defence on many a occasions. His pace was also very impressive. And Hondurian captain and 2004 MLS Mvp Guvera was very impressive as well. His pace is something to look out for and he had some sick passes.

All 3 of our new signings have made a world of difference and our team is looking alot better now (the 3 being Robert, Guevra and Ricketts all signed in the past 2 weeks). We now have 2 wins in a row (the last win being a last minute thriller against Beckham away) and our next game is next Saturday at home. So I am going to start hunting for tickets on the internet.

I will post pictures and videos up later once my friend uploads them since we used his camera.

P.S. on an interesting note, the stadium can hold roughly a bit more than 20 000. 16 000 of those seats are season ticket holders!

Geordie Ahmed
20th April 2008, 07:16
Good stuff - correct me if im wrong BUT I think John Carver is the Toronto manager - he is a Geordie and a former newcastle coach :19:

Also i remember reading Laurent Robert had a trial there, obviously he must have signed since he scored. Robert was a quality player for us BUT was proper lazy, altho I think he can get away with that in the MLS. He has an awesome left foot and im sure he will score a few crackers for you lot

Geordie Ahmed
20th April 2008, 07:22
Here are some class Robert goals - my favourite are the double against Spurs (3:40 mins and 3:58 mins in clip) and his free kick against Man-Utd (2 mins in clip) - also he scored a goal which was referred to as the dolphin kick (4:45 mins in clip) i think it was against Charlton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-edtGtB-pY

Oxy
20th April 2008, 07:30
Support your local team....you know it makes sense!

Amir
20th April 2008, 07:43
Good stuff - correct me if im wrong BUT I think John Carver is the Toronto manager - he is a Geordie and a former newcastle coach :19:

Also i remember reading Laurent Robert had a trial there, obviously he must have signed since he scored. Robert was a quality player for us BUT was proper lazy, altho I think he can get away with that in the MLS. He has an awesome left foot and im sure he will score a few crackers for you lot

Carver is the manager and I did a little reading on Robert. That is where he and Robert linked up and I have to thank him for bringing someone as experienced as Robert in. So exciting that Toronto, an expansion team has an former FRENCH INTERNATIONAL (though he could still get a call up for Euro 2008 :P)!

I like Carvers management. Better than last years coach, he has much more of an attacking style. Last year the coach woudl play with 1 striker or very deep. This guy has a solid 4-4-2 going on and the opposition has a hard time making it through our midfield.

BTW, thanks for the video. Some awesome free kicks in there. Todays was nothing like those, but it was struck nice, hard and low in the corner. Not sure how it went through the wall because I am yet to see the replay!

Amir
20th April 2008, 07:47
Just for Geordie:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=eWjXwB5Oajk&feature=related

Geordie Ahmed
20th April 2008, 07:47
Carver is a Geordie so attacking play is in his genes

Robert is 32 so isnt old, he is very left footed BUT that left foot is very good - i think he will do very well for you lot aslong as he doesnt have any off the field issues.

Amir
21st April 2008, 08:17
http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v232/244/111/187906753/n187906753_35788454_9749.jpg

The stadium before the game and the Toronto Skyline.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v232/244/111/187906753/n187906753_35788456_302.jpg

My new scarf!

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v232/244/111/187906753/n187906753_35788457_588.jpg

The reds flock in!

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v232/244/111/187906753/n187906753_35788459_1169.jpg

Posing with my new scarf!

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v232/244/111/187906753/n187906753_35788465_2936.jpg

The fans hassle the opposition whenever they have to take a corner. Hostile atmosphere....premier league teams wouldnt last :P

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v232/244/111/187906753/n187906753_35788466_3247.jpg

This is like our Kop or Stretford, this section makes the most noises and usually starts most of the cheers.

Will post some videos later of the goal and the fans attacking the opposition corner taker with streamers.

Geordie Ahmed
21st April 2008, 08:53
Just for Geordie:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=eWjXwB5Oajk&feature=related

Missed that earlier - quality goal that, still amazed how he scored it

thanks for that

Geordie Ahmed
21st April 2008, 08:56
Nice pictures - thanks for sharing.

Love the toronto skyline with CN tower dominating.

It looks like a canny stadium - also i notice nearly all the fans are wearing red, does make it look carnivally and looks better imo

Geordie Ahmed
21st May 2008, 21:48
Dont know whether you will cry or get excited BUT according to your manager he wants to try and sign Ameobi

Amir
22nd May 2008, 04:38
Dont know whether you will cry or get excited BUT according to your manager he wants to try and sign Ameobi

Excited. Espicially a player who has shown soem glimpse he can play in the premiership. Ricketts came from Barnesley and looks like Ronaldo dangling defences right left and center.

I would love if Ameobi came. He is a forward right? I just want to get rid of that useless Dichio.

Amir
22nd May 2008, 09:06
TFC won today 1-0 against the team that hammered them 4-1 on the season opener. :) Sweet revenge with Dichio scoring (curse my post!).

That is now six games unbeaten and four of those have been victories (1 away, 3 at home)

Geordie Ahmed
23rd May 2008, 02:27
Excited. Espicially a player who has shown soem glimpse he can play in the premiership. Ricketts came from Barnesley and looks like Ronaldo dangling defences right left and center.

I would love if Ameobi came. He is a forward right? I just want to get rid of that useless Dichio.

Didnt think anyone would feel that way with the prospect of Ameobi joing their team - altho as much as i diss Ameobi he would be class in the MLS

Im not sure he would be willing to move there, altho if i was him i would make the move

Amir
23rd May 2008, 03:46
Didnt think anyone would feel that way with the prospect of Ameobi joing their team - altho as much as i diss Ameobi he would be class in the MLS

Im not sure he would be willing to move there, altho if i was him i would make the move

I thought the Championship team that he got loaned too wanted to sign him long term? If that is the case, stay in England where you can harness your skills.

Geordie Ahmed
23rd May 2008, 05:06
I thought the Championship team that he got loaned too wanted to sign him long term? If that is the case, stay in England where you can harness your skills.

I think Stoke still want him BUT according to the local papers Ameobi isnt too keen on moving to Stoke cos frankly it is a 5hithole - Im sure if he got an offer from a decent club in a decent area he would move

Amir
23rd May 2008, 05:17
I think Stoke still want him BUT according to the local papers Ameobi isnt too keen on moving to Stoke cos frankly it is a 5hithole - Im sure if he got an offer from a decent club in a decent area he would move

But MLS is not worth it. He is still young isnt he? So its hard to move from MLS to Premiership if he has any future aspirations but easier to go from any club in europe to prem.

MLS is a decent league and its improving but I think people in Europe believe it was worst than League Two! That is not the case at all but the thinking is there and hence hard for Amoebi to move from here to there.

If he came I would welcome him with open arms.

Geordie Ahmed
24th August 2008, 05:10
Someone mentioned that Robert is no longer at Toronto? Is that true? If so why?

Amir
24th August 2008, 11:33
Tiz true. An odd decision which I have no explanation for other than salary budget restrictions and we couldnt afford his wage bill.

AFter our dynamic start, TFC have fallen greatly and we are struggling to find goals. We slipped from 3rd, to 9th (one place out of a playoff spot...in the MLS the top 8 teams from the entire league play in playoffs unlike other American sports were usually is even distributed between the various divisions. MLS has two "conferences").

So lately TFC has been bringing in forwards, not sure how many though. They got rid of Cunningham and brought in Chad Barett, Johann Smith (former Wanderer) and recently Carlous Ruiz (Guatamela captain). Along with Dichio and Guevra (who now plays more midfield).

So I assume with all teh new arrivals for goals, we needed to let someone go. TFC werent as pleased with Roberts performance as much as they were paying for.....Robert socred 1 goal and 3 assists. I thought he was good for us cause its MLS, but like I said...i am sure external factors contributed ot this decision.

Amir
3rd April 2009, 07:56
After last seasons disaster of finishing 2nd or 3rd last...I stopped looking at the table as we fell....new season, new players and a new beginning.

We won our first game away with our new superstar (Canada's best player) Dwayne De Rosario fitting in nicely. Links the mid to attack well and has made quite an impact. Guevra scored two goals and we won 3-2. Next week we played the Columbus Crew (defending champs) away...and got a credible 1-1 draw (we suck away from home so this is hugeee). Also our best mid, yesterday retired from the Welsh National Team (Oxy care to shed some light on this?).

Now this saturday is the home opener, which I got tickets too again and this time iwth all the season ticket holders!!! You get scarfs along with the tickets (they are the ticket). We are playing the new expansion Seattle Sounders and Freddie Ljungberg has managed to stay fit...so quite excited to see him!

Today at work, Dwayne De Rosario and John Carver were on the street signing autographs (since I work in the banking sector and our rivals are the main sponsor of TFC). So I met them, got a pic and an autograph. I was going to ask John if he thought Shearer could save Newcastle...but then I thought it would be tacky and he would think I am trying to show off, so I just wished him good luck. I also got interviewed by the Toronto Sun and am on their website (albeit 3 seconds!).

So all in all, this is turning out to be a good week and can't wait for Saturday!!!

kingusama92
3rd April 2009, 08:47
I think this team has it in them to surprise a few teams. I really like the passion that De Resario brings to the pitch each day. I like the setup of this team and they have great character as we saw in the game against last year's champs Columbus Crew.

Nice to see you got tickets to the game... and the interview :)))

Oxy
3rd April 2009, 21:24
Also our best mid, yesterday retired from the Welsh National Team (Oxy care to shed some light on this?).

Your best midfielder was booed by his own fans everytime he touched the ball.

We've got a dozen better midfielders in Wales - yet he started.

And he couldnt hack it.

And his response was to retire from Intl footballer.

Thank god - he should have done it 2 years ago!

He can concentrate on taking his club to the 'Playoffs'

Geordie Ahmed
3rd April 2009, 21:40
So who is this welsh bottler?

Oxy
3rd April 2009, 21:45
So who is this welsh bottler?

Ex Sunderland - Carl Robinson

One of the worst players Ive ever seen where the Welsh shirt!

Amir
6th April 2009, 01:38
Your best midfielder was booed by his own fans everytime he touched the ball.

We've got a dozen better midfielders in Wales - yet he started.

And he couldnt hack it.

And his response was to retire from Intl footballer.

Thank god - he should have done it 2 years ago!

He can concentrate on taking his club to the 'Playoffs'

Well there is also 'Playoffs' in the Championship, not exactly harping about that now. Anyways, quite pleased. Looks like boht parties won in the end with his decision....though I guess Wales dont win much.

MOVING ON to my days trip. It was a brisk and cold afternoon. The sun was out for a bit, with 30 KM/hr of wind. One could think they were in England....only if :( Anyways, as we got there I was pumped for the season opener.

TFC lost 2-0 to the new expansion team Seattle Sounders who are taking it by storm. They are 3 wins out of3 games, and yet to concede a goal. The difference between the two is when we where created, we were made from scratch. Seattle, took their team from the USL and then on top of that infused 5 top players. So tehy took their best of their previous team who had a good understand together and then built around that core. They gor Ljungberg, experienced Casey Keller and the number one rookie in the draft. So don't be fooled by the word, "expansion."

Though what annoys me is MLS handles all player contracts. They couldnt get a international player (or designated player as they call it) for TFC...yet got someone like Ljungberg for Seattle.

Moving onto the game, Ljungberg looks good for th eMLS. He scored the opening goal from a defensive lapse (our central partnership is horrible). Moved the ball well, still has a decent amount of pace. The second goal was just another defensive mix up. We were denied two penalties in the first half and the ref was brutal all game. All 50/50 challenges went Seattles way. Ljungberg can still play act quite well...got our captain a yellow he shouldnt have had but Freddie knows how to roll around (and then quickly get up!). First half ended 2-0.

In the second galf we dominated and were unlucky. Guevra hit the post. Vitti got stopped by an amazing save by KEller (experience counts). And Vitti got a goal disalloed for offside when he was a good yard onside when he got the ball (he was BEHIND the defender when he did his run). The ref was poor, absolutely terrible. Worst I have seen, and I watch the EPL every week :D Nonetheless, he was not the only reason we lost...we made two defensive errors and paid for them.

We played alright and could have scored...but Seattlie got a wealth of experience in Ljungberg and Keller. A good days trip despite being so chilly!

That leaves TFC now at 1-1-1.

Amir
6th April 2009, 01:42
I apologize for the quality of some of these photos. I took them from my BlackBerry.

http://photos-h.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2756/244/111/187906753/n187906753_38294687_3234054.jpg

http://photos-a.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2756/244/111/187906753/n187906753_38294688_2890462.jpg

Freddie taking a corner. usually he would be covered in streamers but the wind was so bad the streaers just flew back!

http://photos-c.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v2756/244/111/187906753/n187906753_38294690_2604508.jpg

Oxy
6th April 2009, 02:27
Well there is also 'Playoffs' in the Championship, not exactly harping about that now.

You seemed to confident about it a few days ago...

Amir
6th April 2009, 05:06
You seemed to confident about it a few days ago...

What does this have to do with confidence? Where did I give any indication that I still dont believe?

What I find ironic is that your harping on about a man who wants to help his team make the "Playoffs" as you so put it, in an insulting way....yet your own team is the one who is also playing for the "Playoffs." We get it Oxy, oh one who is so immersed in football, American football will never be like European football.

Oxy
6th April 2009, 17:14
What does this have to do with confidence? Where did I give any indication that I still dont believe?

What I find ironic is that your harping on about a man who wants to help his team make the "Playoffs" as you so put it, in an insulting way....yet your own team is the one who is also playing for the "Playoffs." We get it Oxy, oh one who is so immersed in football, American football will never be like European football.

You are the one that was happy telling the Toronto Sun: 'Playoffs...Playoffs'...OK, you got drowned out by a little girl & big guy, but we got the gist!

I'm actually a fan of MLS - involved in a weekly MLS show! Just dont need to discuss it here

Amir
6th April 2009, 17:37
You are the one that was happy telling the Toronto Sun: 'Playoffs...Playoffs'...OK, you got drowned out by a little girl & big guy, but we got the gist!

I'm actually a fan of MLS - involved in a weekly MLS show! Just dont need to discuss it here

I must admit. I am kinda flattered you went out of your way to see that video, considering I didn't post it here. ;)

Just don't let the obsession get too strong now.

Oxy
6th April 2009, 17:51
I must admit. I am kinda flattered you went out of your way to see that video, considering I didn't post it here. ;)

Just don't let the obsession get too strong now.

Well when you say 1 thing on here....and the complete opposite elsewhere, thus contradicting yourself...

Amir
10th April 2009, 08:58
Alright, just scored a sweet deal on getting a pair of tickets in the supporter seciton for both our upcoming CL qualifying matches. Though they are mid week and I live two hours away ontop of having school...so I reckon I will probs just go to one and sell the other to cover my losses.

Amir
12th April 2009, 22:18
TFC drew FC Dallas yesterday at home. Bad result, considering FC Dallas are the worst team in the league. Though on their goal they took an illegal corner (outside the little bubble on the corner of the field).

Sometimes I wonder if TFC managers know what they are doing. Carver drops one of our better plays Ricketts, who contributes alot offensively. And then drops our best striker from the last game who looked likes scoring, Vitti. Keeps Barrett who missed two open nets.

Geordie Ahmed
11th May 2009, 01:18
Carver left Toronto a little while back and the rumours here are that its cos he will be back at newcastle in some capacity

Amir who is the manager of t-f-c now? also what was Carver like?

Amir
11th May 2009, 02:10
Carver left Toronto a little while back and the rumours here are that its cos he will be back at newcastle in some capacity

Amir who is the manager of t-f-c now? also what was Carver like?

Carver left due to personal differences with the MLS, not TFC just so you know.

I have heard those rumours as well, not sure how much truth in that.

Also T-F-C...I just type it like that for the chant...but I hope you know we don't actually write it like that :))

Carver was not bad. He started out well last season, likes the 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. However, as injuries and internationals hit, TFC slipped from 3rd to second last in the league. He was not a bad manager but some of his decisions I was not a fan of such as converting a midfielder to a central defender and a terrible one at that.

I noticed he is bit more of the conventional manager which does not work all the time because of the players we have...some need to roam but they get isolated on the wrong part of the pitch. For example, our best player is Dwayne De Rosario (attacking mid who scores). I remember for the most part, Carver isolated him to play the left wing just so 4-4-2 could work....but D-Ro should be off the striker or atleast in the middle cause he can dribble.

Current manager is Chris Cummins, whose claim to fame is that whiel part of Watford's academy (in many capacities), he produced Ashley Young. This manager I am really a fan of, he loves to attack. I am a big fan of 4-3-3 which he uses (or variations like 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1). We are a bit more offensive this season and I can see he has had a good effect on the team. Uses the best of our attacking players, defensively needs to patch up but this is not his problem....we have had this since first year.

I apologize for the essay like answer.

BTW for anyone who cares, TFC are second place in the East with 3 wins, 2 losses and 4 draws. Just earned a 3-3 draw away at DC United and have been unbeaten for 4 games in a row (though one of those games they should have won against the worst team at home...I was there).

As for teh Champions League, we won our first match to rep Canada in the CL beating Vancouver Whitecaps 1-0. We play Montreal Impact on the 13th which I am going too.

madaboutlfc
11th May 2009, 02:54
what is the price of tickets.. impressed by the fan turnout but i heard there arent any away fans..is the atmosphere like NFL, MLB etc.. how do transfers work..

Oxy
11th May 2009, 03:23
how do transfers work..
Welsh rejects I think...

Amir
15th May 2009, 06:54
what is the price of tickets.. impressed by the fan turnout but i heard there arent any away fans..is the atmosphere like NFL, MLB etc.. how do transfers work..

Prices range from anywhere between 23-60/70ish I believe? 20000 capacity, 16000 ST holders and tickets pretty much sold out before they go to public (and if they do...they the last rows of the 2nd tier lol). I usually get my tickets off classified website like Craigslist for 40-50. I usually try to get seats behind the goal or with the louder ST holders. For the MLS All Star game I was sitting with pretty much majority Liverpool fans. Fun times.

Transfers, like an American system. You can trade players and you can also trade draft picks. Teams have academies but not sure what this the full extent. I do not think they like full English academies that provide education as well but they provide soccer training. Then there is the rookie draft (which is from American sports). So teams pick the best players graduating from College. Hence teams trade draft picks (so the more losing teams get the early draft picks).

Amir
15th May 2009, 07:07
TFC Update.

I would post some pics but I realized they all really bad, didn't realize I shook so much!

Anyways we beat Montreal 1-0 meaning, we have 6 points from 2 (home) games in the Canadian Championship. I think a draw away against either Van or MTL should see us through to the CL. Canada is huge, so we don't have derby's per say...but this was like one. Toronto Montreal, have a rivalry in every sport. The old classic English vs French battle. It was a great North American Night :D :P

Anyways, we are 2nd in league and play Chicago on Saturday.

Amir
5th August 2009, 10:57
TFC Update. We are fourth in the East but a win or two would get us up near the top. Some good results, some bad results = mediocrity.

We got eliminated out of the Champions League today 1-0 on aggregate to some team from Puerto Rico. We lost the first leg at home 1-0. Had to play tonight and we just went nuts, hit the posts and their goalie had one of the best displays I ever seen.

I got Dichio and Robbo on my Twitter, so its cool to see their thoughts.

I haven't been to many games lately due to school, nonetheless despite an final exam at 9 AM on Saturday, yours truly is going to go see REAL MADRID! I am gonna wear my old Man Utd Ronaldo jersey in support (its a friendly). Tickets cost a bit but a bargain compared to the rip off prices that they are. Sitting in midfield. And apparently Kaka's first game as well, so I hope he plays as well. I was hoping Xabi would be on the plane, but I doubt it....would love to wind up some dippers :P

Nonetheless, very excited to see Ronaldo. Though I always wanted to see him, didn't think it would be in these circumstances!

Zechariah
7th August 2009, 03:41
Real Madrid is in town today playing Toronto FC.

match starts at 7 I believe.

kingusama92
7th August 2009, 07:11
going to be watching the friendly on TV. Would love to see Toronto FC come up with one of the biggest upsets ever in a friendly :))).

Amir
14th April 2010, 17:30
Keeping up with tradition, I got home opener tickets. Season has started out horribly. 2 losses, but against 2 good teams. However we were leadign last game 1-0 and conceded four 2nd half goals.

Our team has been completely dismantled and put with new players and coach, so I do not expect immedaite results. Probably our fourth year in a row missing play offs.

Nonetheless, tommorow night should have an awesome atmosphere :D

Amir
29th April 2010, 02:35
Since my last post, we have lost 1 and won 2. So we are now 2 wins and 3 losses. Both wins came at home, unsure how.

In the theme of Champions League, ours starts tonight. We play in Montreal, as we are teh defending Canadian champions.

THIS IS TEH CHAMMMMMMPIONNNNNNSSSSSSSSS

Amir
4th August 2010, 07:22
TFC Update:

We currently occupy the last playoff spot, we always do around this time of the season but this is where we fall apart. So let's see.

As for Champions League, we won the first leg of our qualifying match with CD Montagua of Hondarous who have national captain and former TFC player Armando Guevra. We won 1-0 and right now at playing away. Guevra scored twice and looks like he could score a 3rd or 4th with our defence! But Allah ka shukr, we got two goals...one from D-Ro and the other from Rooney lookalike Barett...so its 3-2 and we got 2 away goals...so we should be through with 5 mins left but our defence still letting too many into the box.

This is great, going to the group stage. Last year we lost at this stage but I don't expect us to make it out of the group stages. Our team is highly dependent upon D-Ro and our defence has a lot of lapses of concentration but our goalie is outstanding and I expect him to get a chance in Europe soon.

Mods, can you please rename this thread to "The Toronto FC Thread"

Amir
4th August 2010, 07:29
And we are through! 3-2 on aggregate! Champions League for us!

20legend
7th August 2010, 12:22
I do not support TFC, but just glad to see yet another fellow United supporter within the GTA..Glad I am not alone..

Amir
27th March 2011, 05:57
TFC Update. So last season ended badly as always. We failed to make the playoffs and once again the coach was fired, but we finally got rid of our useless director of football and now have new management in place (a Dutch fellow, who has bought some Dutch players along as he wants to impose Total Football).

Today was the season opener and went along with my tradition of attending the opening match (4th year in a row). Quite good seats, 2nd row behind the North goal. We lost our first game in Vancouver 4-2 last week but today we won 2-0 against another expansion team, the Portland Timbers. Midfield is still weak as we struggle to keep the ball but our offense is looking a lot better now. You can see a Dutch style is starting to be imposed, we have played a lot of hoof ball over the pasts couple years but today you could see the players were trying to work spaces and through balls (which led to our first goal).

The second goal was absolute class. Videos posted below:
SjXt0aaeFos

Second Goal (Goal of the Season candidate)
Yw1baFS4BIQ

Can I get the thread title changed to Toronto FC Official Thread

d0gers
27th March 2011, 15:02
Sweet goal Amir.

Also glad to see you patronizing an MLS team. :)

Where are their games held? Do you have to travel far?

I would like to support the Revolution here but they play in the Patriots' NFL stadium, which is a 45 minute drive outside of the city. Just seems pointless. I'd consider getting season tickets if they moved the team inside the city.

Amir
27th March 2011, 15:26
^They play at BMO Field. I am not sure if you know the layout of Toronto but it is at the old Exhibition Place (where the Jays use to play before the Skydome). Essentially the Air Canada Centre and Skydome are beside Union Station. From Union Station there is about a 10 min train ride from there or less.

I don't actually live in Toronto. I live outside and it takes me about 1 hour and a bit more to get there. I am not a ST holder, don't have money or time for that yet but this summer I will be living downtown Toronto, so I hope to attend more matches.

45 mins does not seem bad at all. Toronto has so much traffic that it can take 30 mins alone to get in/exit the main downtown core (and then you finally get onto the actual highway to get back home). For example, other day I was coming back and got stuck in rush hour.....it took me 2 hours to get home (1 hour usual commute). Even for say someone like kingusama who lives in the neighbouring city, a 30 min commute could turn into an hour as it takes forever to get out of the downtown core!

d0gers
27th March 2011, 23:59
Yeah, have never been to Toronto so not familiar at all. I wasn't sure if the stadium was outside city limits, which isn't uncommon, but it seems from what you describe that it's inside.

Have that same traffic problem in Boston, though of course Toronto is much much bigger in size and population. 45 minutes is for a normal commute, for actual game days it takes a lot longer. Also I don't have a car so it would be very inconvenient regardless.

Other than American football, all other major sports teams play inside Boston. I'm sure if the Revolution built their own stadium inside the city they would get a lot more fans to come.

kingusama92
28th March 2011, 00:32
Good win against Portland Timbers.

Brilliant goal from Martina. Superb.

iHammad
10th April 2011, 01:42
Anybody else following this? Amir? Kingusama?

I'm supporting my local team of course.

http://www.torontosoccerfans.com/club_images/toronto_fc_logo.jpg

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/league/_/league/usa.1/major-league-soccer?cc=5901

http://www.mlssoccer.com/

TFC have played 3 games, 1 win, 1 loss, and a draw. 4th game tonight.

Amir
10th April 2011, 01:44
We have a thread for this.

I been asking the mods TO PLEASE RENAME THE OTHER THREAD TO THE TORONTO FC THREAD!!!

So if they could merge this with that and rename it, I won't have to dish out any phaintys.

4 years, no playoffs...hopefully 5th year different :P

iHammad
10th April 2011, 01:51
What's playoffs again? Top 4 in each conference?

Amir
10th April 2011, 02:36
What's playoffs again? Top 4 in each conference?

Top 2 conference leaders and then the next 6 irrespective of what conference you are in.

However, this year I believe they have changed it to top four in each conference (its either this year or next).

kingusama92
10th April 2011, 03:07
We have a thread for this.

I been asking the mods TO PLEASE RENAME THE OTHER THREAD TO THE TORONTO FC THREAD!!!

So if they could merge this with that and rename it, I won't have to dish out any phaintys.

4 years, no playoffs...hopefully 5th year different :P

Are you talking about this thread?

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=55748

Amir
10th April 2011, 03:18
Yes please.

iHammad
10th April 2011, 03:20
Amir, what channel is showing the TFC away games?

kingusama92
10th April 2011, 03:29
Yes please.

Done. :)

Should be an interesting game against San Jose, today.

iHammad
10th April 2011, 03:34
Yeah, but I don't know where to watch it.

iHammad
10th April 2011, 03:41
The game is being shown on GolTv, which is on Bell. :facepalm:

kingusama92
10th April 2011, 03:43
Yeah, but I don't know where to watch it.

http://myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=111185&part=sports

d0gers
10th April 2011, 04:43
What the hell?! There's more to MLS than just Toronto FC. Why'd you rename Hammad's thread?

Amir
10th April 2011, 04:53
What the hell?! There's more to MLS than just Toronto FC. Why'd you rename Hammad's thread?

Because he said his favourite team is TFC and lets face it, there are no other MLS fans here other than TFCers. So unless someone starts posting about their MLS team, they may create a MLS thread or a thread for their team. :akhtar

kingusama92
10th April 2011, 05:00

You may create your own club's thread, if you wish. :)

Toronto FC is the only club ever talked about on PP.

d0gers
10th April 2011, 05:11
Well he created a thread to talk about MLS. If he wanted to create a thread just for Toronto FC he would've done so. I guess now if I want to talk about the MLS in general I have to come post here. :P

iHammad
10th April 2011, 05:15
There's 3 matches going on right now.

Amir
10th April 2011, 10:08
TFC draw. Not a bad result, better than a loss and was away from home.

PakPrince
10th April 2011, 11:00
http://myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=111185&part=sports

Mod giving a streamin link.... :P

just kidding there ;-)

kingusama92
10th April 2011, 11:38
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaZ6cjQaA5UkfJ4n58sDW4O3dTr-SZS_DItzAvLZFHuVAJjXK5OA

iHammad
10th April 2011, 21:20
TFC draw, oh well we got a point.

Geordie Ahmed
30th April 2011, 11:43
Think it is relevant for this thread - was listening to the radio earlier on (no idea what station it was) BUT some American guy was having a massive rant about David Beckham and the MLS

He was saying how ridiculous it is that Beckham is going to the Royal Wedding, as a result he has missed training and will just get back in time for their match against Dallas. He said that it's because of things like this that the MLS will remain a joke league and people do not take it seriously, when the star players almost do what they like, he asked what do you think would have happened if say Beckham played for Man-U and he said to Fergie he wanted to attend the wedding of the son of the President of the USA, resulting in him missing training, flying to and back from the US and just making in time for the game?

I think he had a point really - it is frankly ridiculous that he was allowed to attend this wedding, it kinda makes a mockery of the team and the league, that despite the HUGE wages he gets from them a pompous wedding is deemed as more important than the league that pays his vast wages

kingusama92
30th April 2011, 12:13
^

It's a fair point by those on the radio.

This was Beckham as he took permission from the club (LA Galaxy) prior to skipping.

"Bruce said to me if I wanted to not go to the game (that's fine), but it's important that I'm there. It's important that the fans see me there, and I'll do that," he added.

It's a shame really. I am sure the manager (Bruce Arena) wanted to make him stay. However, the team and league just can't make their superstar angry. I feel for the club.

Quite poor of Beckham. You should be acting professionally as you are getting paid a ton of dough by LA. To skip practice before a match for a wedding in England just isn't on.

Amir
30th April 2011, 14:23
Bigger deal being made out of this. You need to compare the circumstances. This was a huge deal because its not like royalty gets married every day. And they can say whatever they want about Beckham, but they still buy his shirts and thus contributes overall to the income of the team. That is Beckham's image and you know what you are going to get.

Its one match and the President of the USA's child getting married is not comparable to the Royal family because I think the Royal family enjoys a bit more publicity. Thus, its one practice compared to a once in a decade event. The caller probably has no idea, but SAF is not some monster. He has allowed players to take personal leave before. Last year he sent Roon to the Middle East when injured and could have been under the close watch of team doctors!

However, MLS will remain a joke because of its schedule and being so far away from Europe. Just the way of the game. Even in recent years, people suggest the quality of South American domestic football has gone down because all their stars (even at the age of 18) are all going to Europe quickly as possible.

Geordie Ahmed
30th April 2011, 21:44
Bigger deal being made out of this. You need to compare the circumstances. This was a huge deal because its not like royalty gets married every day. And they can say whatever they want about Beckham, but they still buy his shirts and thus contributes overall to the income of the team. That is Beckham's image and you know what you are going to get.

Its one match and the President of the USA's child getting married is not comparable to the Royal family because I think the Royal family enjoys a bit more publicity. Thus, its one practice compared to a once in a decade event. The caller probably has no idea, but SAF is not some monster. He has allowed players to take personal leave before. Last year he sent Roon to the Middle East when injured and could have been under the close watch of team doctors!

However, MLS will remain a joke because of its schedule and being so far away from Europe. Just the way of the game. Even in recent years, people suggest the quality of South American domestic football has gone down because all their stars (even at the age of 18) are all going to Europe quickly as possible.

That is absurd reasoning, it isnt just the one practice BUT it is the game itself - there is no way Beckham could be in the right condition to play after a 10hr flight to the UK and then a 9 hour flight back

I think you mentioned publicity, that pretty much sums it up - that is Beckham putting his own needs and self attention ahead of the club/league that pays him big money

Who said Fergie is a monster? He would have been right to deny Beckham permission in a similar situation - that example of Ronaldo is just laughable, the guy was injured - plenty of teams allow their injured players to go and recover elsewhere. Ben Arfa only came back a few weeks ago, he spent that time in Tunisia and France

I agree there are other issues facing the MLS BUT it surely cant help when the star players can just skip training for a wedding

As an example Brian O'Driscoll the Rugby player turned down his invitation cos his club play a match today - and he would not have had to do anywhere near the amount of travelling that Beckham did

Amir
30th April 2011, 21:55
Again, its one match compared to what is wedding of the year. They knew what they were buying when they got him. They did not only buy him for his footballing ability, but more so his brand image. Beckham being at this wedding only enhances their brand image. Events like these get the non-footballing fans want to see Beckham, all because he turned up for the wedding.

I honestly, don't see the big deal. Its one match and he probably recuperates whatever they pay him on shirt and ticket sales.

kingusama92
30th April 2011, 23:03
^

Which is pretty sad.

How does the MLS gain any respect, if their main player feels a wedding is more important?

If the club is willing to put brand image over team performance then that's pretty lame. This is exactly what would drive passionate fans away from the team.

Geordie Ahmed
1st May 2011, 00:33
^

Which is pretty sad.

How does the MLS gain any respect, if their main player feels a wedding is more important?

If the club is willing to put brand image over team performance then that's pretty lame. This is exactly what would drive passionate fans away from the team.

Exactly - MLS usually gets dismissed as conference standard by a lot of people here BUT MLS supporters defend that league and argue it is getting better and is at a good standard - like you say how can you possibly respect a league which basically has no respect for itself?

Amir
1st May 2011, 00:56
I think too big a deal is being made of this. Yeah he missed one match, but I am sure he got permission of the club. Its only one match compared to what is obviously the social event of the year. People miss matches all the time for personal reasons.

kingusama92
1st May 2011, 01:33
I think too big a deal is being made of this. Yeah he missed one match, but I am sure he got permission of the club. Its only one match compared to what is obviously the social event of the year. People miss matches all the time for personal reasons.

Just imagine Rooney telling the club that he wishes to miss training and possibly the match for the royal wedding.

As a fan - would you be fine with this?

I wouldn't be.

Sure, personal reasons such as wife giving birth, parent being ill, funeral etc, are all important. Those things can't be avoided and those are legitimate reasons.

Although, all he has to do for this to be put to rest is score a hat trick or something. :D :))

Geordie Ahmed
1st May 2011, 02:21
Out of curiosity how are LA doing and how is Beckham doing?

Amir
1st May 2011, 03:06
USama, for me it depends what match it is. Though I would never be in such a situation anyways cause police wouldn't allow the Royal Wedding to be scheduled on a day of football. :P

Geordie, LA are first. And unlike PL...you don't have to be first to win the title. You just have to be within the top 8 and you are in the playoffs.

kingusama92
1st May 2011, 03:21
USama, for me it depends what match it is. Though I would never be in such a situation anyways cause police wouldn't allow the Royal Wedding to be scheduled on a day of football. :P

Geordie, LA are first. And unlike PL...you don't have to be first to win the title. You just have to be within the top 8 and you are in the playoffs.

I suppose it's all an issue of how much professionalism the club seeks from a player.

Anyway, I could care less!

It's not Toronto FC's problem. :D

Amir
1st May 2011, 04:45
Toronto FC's problem is I don't even recognize half the team. Each year, pretty much half the squad is shipped out and a new one is brought in. Largely because we fire our managers quicker than Chelsea (honestly, probably average time for a manager is a year).

Anyways we have 7 points from 7 games. Not good. Not bad. I doubt we will make the playoffs as we spend half a season developing chemistry. Nonetheless, we beat FC Edmonton in our first leg of the Canadian championship, 3-0. Barring a catastrophe we should go through and play either Vancouver or Montreal in the final for a spot in the Champions League.

Moving to Toronto soon, about 20 mins away from the stadium. So hopefully can go to a few games after my CFA exam.

kingusama92
1st May 2011, 07:40
Toronto FC's problem is I don't even recognize half the team. Each year, pretty much half the squad is shipped out and a new one is brought in. Largely because we fire our managers quicker than Chelsea (honestly, probably average time for a manager is a year).

Anyways we have 7 points from 7 games. Not good. Not bad. I doubt we will make the playoffs as we spend half a season developing chemistry. Nonetheless, we beat FC Edmonton in our first leg of the Canadian championship, 3-0. Barring a catastrophe we should go through and play either Vancouver or Montreal in the final for a spot in the Champions League.

Moving to Toronto soon, about 20 mins away from the stadium. So hopefully can go to a few games after my CFA exam.

:))

Quite true about the managerial turnover for Toronto FC.

Continuously changing team philosophies is ridiculous. I hope they stick to one and just go along with it. Time to build some sort of identity with our squad.

Playoffs will be iffy. I still have hope. :D

Good luck on the CFA exam! Maybe one day you can buy Toronto FC. :))

Geordie Ahmed
1st May 2011, 08:35
:))

Quite true about the managerial turnover for Toronto FC.

Continuously changing team philosophies is ridiculous. I hope they stick to one and just go along with it. Time to build some sort of identity with our squad.

Playoffs will be iffy. I still have hope. :D

Good luck on the CFA exam! Maybe one day you can buy Toronto FC. :))

One day? Surely Amir has a dollar right now? :yk

kingusama92
1st May 2011, 09:52

Are you jealous of our great club? :D

Amir
1st May 2011, 09:56

I don't think you are one to make jokes, your club recently has become bit of a shop for other clubs. :waqar

Geordie Ahmed
1st May 2011, 10:18
I don't think you are one to make jokes, your club recently has become bit of a shop for other clubs. :waqar

Pretty much every club is a shop for others :yk

Amir
13th January 2012, 07:04
I was reading through this thread and noticed how it started with so much optimism....but now is cynical :))

Anyways thought I would bump it because I got my CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TICKET!!!! (at least one of my teams made the knock out stages :P). The furtherest we ever made it in the CL and to "reward" us for this, we have to play the MLS Champions of Beckham, Keane and Donovan. Not a chance in hell but at least it will be a historic moment and I get to see those three play. Got nice tickets in midfield.

justarslan
13th January 2012, 08:34
I was reading through this thread and noticed how it started with so much optimism....but now is cynical :))

Anyways thought I would bump it because I got my CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TICKET!!!! (at least one of my teams made the knock out stages :P). The furtherest we ever made it in the CL and to "reward" us for this, we have to play the MLS Champions of Beckham, Keane and Donovan. Not a chance in hell but at least it will be a historic moment and I get to see those three play. Got nice tickets in midfield.

Will you be wearing your Man U Beckham Jersey or TFC Jersey?

kingusama92
13th January 2012, 09:25

Nice! :))

Will be a tough game for TFC, but should be fun for you. :)

Amir
13th January 2012, 09:39
Will you be wearing your Man U Beckham Jersey or TFC Jersey?

Neither. A Liverpool Keane jersey :P

Yes, I will be wearing my TFC jersey, with my TFC scarf.

And for anyone who has known me long enough here, knows how much I love the Champions League theme......so I will probably sing it as I walk in. THIS IS THE CHHHHHHHAAMMMMMMPIONNNSSS

Amir
16th March 2012, 05:33
Been a while since I updated this but TFC IS IN THE SEMI FINALS OF THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!!! Brilliant 2-1 win away in LA to beat Beckham, Keane and Donovan. Now we play Santos Laguna (anyone got a scouting report on them? Theo?) from Mexico. Geordie and easy, eat your heart out.....I don't think your teams have ever made the semis of the CL while you were alive :P I tease.

The first leg on March 28th at our home field. Problem is, the seating is only 24K as opposed to 49K for the quarters. Thus, it will be difficult to get tickets but I will try my best. Make dua for me. :P

To give a quick run down. I went to last Wednesday's game. Electric atmosphere. Near sell out, 49K in the Skydome. I thought the atmosphere would be drowned out by the bigger stadium but it wasn't. We got the early lead, 2-0, dream start but Donovan scored near the end to make it 2-2 and pretty much I figured we would get killed in LA, yet last night we won 2-1.

Beckham was getting ******. Toronto crowd got stuck into him. An old tradition (now banned at our home field but this was our second stadium, so it wasn't banned) is throwing streamers at the oppositions corner kicks. You could see how frustrated he was getting cause he was getting all tangled up. By the end, he didn't do any of the slow down, blow hard, look up Beckham style corner kick. He took them as quick as possible. The man still has it, almost scored off a corner.

However, a bad part of the night was when someone threw a beer can at him. Missed him but stuf like that shouldn't be done. Streamers is one thing its paper and won't hurt anyone. But metal? No.

Anyways, biggest game in 2 weeks. Need to get tickets!

nextover666666
17th March 2012, 02:41
Nice too see a TFC thread btw im from MTL so i am a big TFC fan since thye were the first canadian club in MLS but since Montreal Impact joined MLS i have to go for my home team, should be getting tickets as well, when Toronto play Montreal in April at stade Olympic should be a good game im prediciting a TFC win but hopefully im wrong :)

nextover666666
17th March 2012, 02:42
Do you thing TFC will qualify for playoffs this year i sure hope so, i would love for a canadian team to win it this year any MTL, TOR, OR VAN