PDA

View Full Version : Cricketers who became criminals

Informer
7th May 2008, 00:43
Do you know of any other cricketer who turned into a criminal?

I just watched a documentary about a former South African cricketer who became a brutal criminal. His name was Lorrie Wilmot whom many believe was the biggest hitter of a cricket ball. He is the only cricketer to hit the ball out of the Wanderers cricket stadium. Wilmot once hit a six of off spinner Jack Sparling that went 120 metres. His highest score was 222 against Zimbabwe.

Wilmot, a former Eastern Province cricket captain and Albany
paprika farmer was charged with three counts of rape and two of
indecent assault against two black girls of 13 and 14, and a
17-year-old. After a long appeals process he was sentenced to 12 years behind bars with 3 of them suspended.

On the 29th of February 2004, Wilmot committed suicide by shooting himself on his farm near Grahamstown. It likely that he took his own life due to his impending imprisonment.

McBoom
7th May 2008, 00:46
Indian batsmen & commentator Novjot Sidhu was convicted for manslaughter as he allegedly killed someone in a fight. Don't know what happened to the case next.

Wiji
7th May 2008, 01:06
How about this guy, Salim Pervez. He's played one match for Pakistan:
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/player/42624.html

From the Justice Qayyum report: "Rashid Latif confirmed that Saleem Pervez, the former opening batsman of National Bank was a bookie and was seen freely mixing with the players in their hotel rooms."

"Salim Pervez aka Paijee: Salim Pervez alias Paijee appeared before this Inquiry and confessed that he himself had handed Salim Malik and Mushtaq Ahmad $ 100,000 to throw away the final in Sharjah against Australia. He stated that the two players had contacted him directly in this connection and had asked for a larger amount but settled for $ 100,000. This match was lost by Pakistan. He confirmed that he was present in Sri Lanka during the Singer Trophy. He was also of the view that the team deliberately lost the Mandela Trophy in South Africa and the Quarter Final in Bangalore. He suspected that Ijaz Ahmad had sold himself during the match in Bangalore. Salim Pervez was subsequently summoned and faced cross-examination. He was first cross examined by Mr. Azmat Saeed, counsel for Malik and later by Mr. Mozamal Khan, counsel for Mushtaq Ahmad. In his cross-examination, Salim Pervez elaborated his statement and stated that he was accompanied by one Mr. Butt who was the main man. He, in reply to a question said that US$ 100,000 were taken by him in his inner garments (underwear) and that he had earlier met Mushtaq Ahmad in Shalimar Hotel, Gulberg."

Also, from an ABC Australian documentary on match-fixing, Salim Malik is quoted as saying:

"SALIM MALIK, (TRANSLATION): Salim Pervez lives in the red-light area. I request that you visit his house and then judge for yourselves whether he can afford to offer money to anybody. He has spent two years in jail in a murder case. How can he afford to pay others when he can't afford to eat?"

Wiji
7th May 2008, 01:07
I was also about to make a thread on Salim Pervez to ask if anyone had actually seen him play.

W63L35
7th May 2008, 01:09
Harbhjan - physical assault is a crime in a most countries! :P

W63L35
7th May 2008, 01:10
Maninder Singh (left arm spinner for 80s/India) - drug dealer or user!

Saj
7th May 2008, 01:23
Indian batsmen & commentator Novjot Sidhu was convicted for manslaughter as he allegedly killed someone in a fight. Don't know what happened to the case next.
I think he ran someone over when he was driving and there was an altercation after that.

DM
7th May 2008, 01:27
How about cricketers who are currently criminals? Aaaah I'm only joking I'll keep it in the Cave :P

traps
7th May 2008, 01:28
That is an incredible story Informer.

I've heard of Wilmott but never this side of him. Shows you what you learn on here. Definitely going to look at this story further.

12thMan
7th May 2008, 01:31
Sidhu had a dispute over parking spot and the other person died. This happened in 1988 but may have been dissmissed. He became a politician too but the decision was overturned in 2006 and he got 3 years

Oxy
7th May 2008, 02:14
Sarfraz Nawaz beat his girlfriend up when he lived in the UK a few years back (pre-internet days)

Waqar Younis - Convicted of drink-driving whilst at Glamorgan

Ian Botham - You name it, he's done it!

siddharth
7th May 2008, 02:53
Ian Botham - You name it, he's done it!

I name it ''Murder'' :10:

McBoom
7th May 2008, 03:41
Moin Khan = wife beater

Big Daddy
7th May 2008, 07:43
wow no one mentioned the famous windies tour of 93 94 yet ?

mamoo gogo
7th May 2008, 08:02
I'm surprised...no one mentioned Afridi and Man-Slaughter :D

dblock
7th May 2008, 13:13
Didn't Boycott beat his wife?

Daoud
7th May 2008, 13:34
Didn't Boycott beat his wife?
Not sure if it was proven but there definitely were allegations. I remember him saying if he did punch her as many times as she claimed, she would have turned out a lot worse :))

ehjaz
7th May 2008, 13:53
Lord John 'Satan' Bryant, probably the most criminal cricketer ever. In the intervals between his frequent High Court appearances on charges of murder, highway robbery, arson, spitting on the crucifix, rape, affray, and failing to abate a smoking chimney, he captained Somerset from 1821 to 1824. During this period he was accused of offering to bribe an umpire, running on the wicket, attempted murder and - inevitably - ball tampering.

In the notorious Glamorgan match of 1823 he arrived on the field after lunch on the second day with a sheep's bladder full of dripping poorly concealed up his sleeve. While his confederates distracted the umpires and the Glamorgan openers with a mixture of smutty anecdotes, parlour tricks and threats, Bryant smeared the ball comprehensively with the dripping, and then prepared to open the bowling. To the amusement of all he dropped the ball five times during his run-up, before delivering a ball which went for four wides over the midwicket boundary. While running up to bowl again he slipped in a pool of congealed grease and sprained his ankle.

http://www.troutmag.org/page/397

Oxy
7th May 2008, 14:19
Didn't Boycott beat his wife?He played her with a straight bat.....Dont think it was his wife though - he never married. Possibly a French girlfriend?

DM
7th May 2008, 14:54
Already mentioned, well hinted, see above :D

Oxy
7th May 2008, 15:13
Tony Locke - English spinner. Quite controversial.

Daoud
7th May 2008, 15:31
Just remembered Runako Mor(t)on. He once stabbed his cousin

dinakar
7th May 2008, 15:34
Already mentioned, well hinted, see above :D
yes, he did a man slaughter attempt in South Africa, but didn't connect that as well :))) :)))

Oxy
7th May 2008, 15:47
Ian Harvey - another one in the 'drink & drive' club.

Oxy
7th May 2008, 15:56
Zimbabwean cricket - Who is the guy that set fire to the cricket pavillion? Bit of a nut-job!

Luton Bad Boy
7th May 2008, 16:25
Faisal Iqbal - Whenever he comes out to bat must be some sort of criminal offence, as he causes undue pain, distress and agony to a wealth of Pakistani supporters worldwide...

Saj
7th May 2008, 16:39
Might be a bit harsh to refer to them as criminals considering where the "offence" took place, but Wasim, Waqar, Aaqib and Mushy were of course banged up in a cell for possessing marijuana. I remember the tour was going to be cancelled and the players claimed that they were on the beach with some English tourists who actually had the marijuana.

http://www.uk.cricket.org/db/ARCHIVE/1992-93/PAK_IN_WI/PAK_WI_T1_16-18APR1993_MR

Indiafan
7th May 2008, 16:41

Well, he bacame a member of the Parliment last year

McBoom
7th May 2008, 16:55
Zimbabwean cricket - Who is the guy that set fire to the cricket pavillion? Bit of a nut-job!Mark Vermeulen... also attacked the spectators in a county game.

pakistani pride
7th May 2008, 17:30
Mushtaq Ahmed is not that good as he is pretending nowadays.
Match fixing and marijuana issues.

Would like it if somebody would confront him with all these questions. According to some he is a proven match fixer !

Saj
7th May 2008, 17:35
Mark Vermeulen... also attacked the spectators in a county game.
I heard that. Apparently there was a bit of banter with some fans who were taunting his bowling. He was fielding near them after his over ended and some "pleasantries" were exchanged. Vermeulen then decided to take one of them on in a fist fight. The guy in the crowd allegedly hit Vermeulen around before others intervened.

Luton Bad Boy
7th May 2008, 17:53
I heard that. Apparently there was a bit of banter with some fans who were taunting his bowling. He was fielding near them after his over ended and some "pleasantries" were exchanged. Vermeulen then decided to take one of them on in a fist fight. The guy in the crowd allegedly hit Vermeulen around before others intervened.

Kinda reminds me about a certain Inzamam, a certain 'aloo', a certain candian crowd and some serious abuse hurled....

DHONI183
7th May 2008, 18:42
Aamir Sohail - looks like a professional thug anyway :21: ......

W63L35
7th May 2008, 19:07
Aamir Sohail - looks like a professional thug anyway :21: ......
any bad guy from India? :21:

DHONI183
7th May 2008, 19:12
any bad guy from India? :21:

PPers are there to name them (and I think few of them already have been named) :26: .

Ghoshtbuster
7th May 2008, 19:32
Kinda reminds me about a certain Inzamam, a certain 'aloo', a certain candian crowd and some serious abuse hurled....
Except Inzi would have kicked that little Indians ***, had he not been restrained :19:

PlanetPakistan
7th May 2008, 20:01
I think he ran someone over when he was driving and there was an altercation after that.
No it was a fight where he punched and killed a 65 year old

pakistani_banda
7th May 2008, 21:34

i was just about to write this, but u and DM got there first. :))

SameerM
7th May 2008, 21:36
is being named a match fixer a criminal? ifso Salim Malik would be on the list?

Luton Bad Boy
7th May 2008, 23:17
is being named a match fixer a criminal? ifso Salim Malik would be on the list?

As well as:

- Wasim Akram
- Waqar Younis
- Inzamam
- Mushtaq Ahmed

waquas_uk
8th May 2008, 03:29
moin khan was in jail recently wasnt he?

Oxy
8th May 2008, 03:40
moin khan was in jail recently wasnt he?

He was arrested and taken to a cell for allegedly attacking his wife whilst drunk.

She dropped the charges later.....

SameerM
8th May 2008, 14:28
wot ever happened to being innocent until PROVEN guilty

Nakhuda
10th May 2008, 09:23
Not sure but i think Makhaya Ntini is a former rapist!!Nansie Cronje for selling out to someone and Miandad for having his son married of to Dawood Ibrahim's daughter!

Saj
10th May 2008, 17:00
Not sure but i think Makhaya Ntini is a former rapist!!Nansie Cronje for selling out to someone and Miandad for having his son married of to Dawood Ibrahim's daughter!
yes Ntini was chared with rape. If I remember correctly it allegedly happened at a cricket stadium.

I think the charges were dropped at a later date.

Saj
10th May 2008, 17:01
I think the biggest crime ever committed by any cricketer though was Mohsin Khan's decision to join Bollywood and then later Lollywood. Boy was he terrible :)

dinakar
10th May 2008, 17:34
I think Manoj Prabhakar had been charged for some financial corruption.

Indiafan
10th May 2008, 17:50
I think the biggest crime ever committed by any cricketer though was Mohsin Khan's decision to join Bollywood and then later Lollywood. Boy was he terrible :)

I dont think he was as bad as our fast bowler Salil ankola

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k5/wallpaper_images/s/salil_243/salil_243_1024x768.jpg

W63L35
10th May 2008, 18:56

No, the bigger crime was to marry this actress.

http://www.zulm.net/urbanlegend/lakshmi/PDVD5.jpg

traps
10th May 2008, 19:00
What about Darryl Hair? In our first World Cup back we were playing the Aussies and one of their batsmen gave a thick edge to the keeper - NOT OUT!!!

Never met a more biased umpire in my life!!

Nakhuda
10th May 2008, 23:13
Mohsin was a handsome man who many woman wanted to marry at the time.When a person is in high demand they don't think straight which was what happened to him.Cricketers don't make good actors even today when acting ability has never been poorer.
I will always respect Imran Khan for not selling out to Bollywood.

Cryin Out Loud
11th May 2008, 00:17
Lord John 'Satan' Bryant, probably the most criminal cricketer ever. In the intervals between his frequent High Court appearances on charges of murder, highway robbery, arson, spitting on the crucifix, rape, affray, and failing to abate a smoking chimney, he captained Somerset from 1821 to 1824. During this period he was accused of offering to bribe an umpire, running on the wicket, attempted murder and - inevitably - ball tampering.

In the notorious Glamorgan match of 1823 he arrived on the field after lunch on the second day with a sheep's bladder full of dripping poorly concealed up his sleeve. While his confederates distracted the umpires and the Glamorgan openers with a mixture of smutty anecdotes, parlour tricks and threats, Bryant smeared the ball comprehensively with the dripping, and then prepared to open the bowling. To the amusement of all he dropped the ball five times during his run-up, before delivering a ball which went for four wides over the midwicket boundary. While running up to bowl again he slipped in a pool of congealed grease and sprained his ankle.

http://www.troutmag.org/page/397

That sounded too good to be true. That's a 'humour website'.