PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping at an airport? Think twice

MIG
23rd May 2008, 16:08
Ok - so heres the scenario, you missed your flight or have a long lay over or being the kanjoos that you are, you want to use the airport as a place to hangout -

try

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/

Amongst other things, it lists the top 10 airports to sleep or hang around in (pretty much translates into the top 10 airports) and the Worst airports - check out the Dehli airport link :

NEW DELHI, India

"Had to change in the toilet which made the one in Trainspotting look like the Ritz." (Moray)

"special effort appeared to be made to make sure that no trace of toilet paper could be found." (Pawel)
"we survived on water and cookies" (Joe Goozey)

"The airport itself was a bit of a shock on the first time, especially the toilets, but after travelling around India, i can tell: the airport is one of the safest and cleaniest places there. " (sani)

"dirty, with all all pervasive smell of sweet over powering phenyl which they use for disinfecting. The departure lounge has this odour mixed with that of cigarettes." (Amit Mathur)

"the business lounges are a real disgrace. Even when I get to fly business I do not hang out there, it is better in the main hallway." (?)

What you can look forward to:
filthy
crowded
no seats
mosquitoes
dirty bathrooms
birds inside the terminal leave a poopy mess everywhere
toilets on the second floor are almost clean
friendly security
poor signage
cold
bribery
book taxis in advance or use a pre-paid service

frequent announcements in Hindi and English that increase at night

Also check the links on Karachi :

KARACHI, Pakistan
"Pakistans newest airport, and one reason why you don't see too many Pakistani architects working on major projects anywhere else." (Col. Stewart)

"Since I was the only female looking like foreigner everyone was staring and commenting about me." (Karina Buairide)

"The airport was packed with pilgrims flying off to Mecca. It was a truly amazing sight - everyone was dressed in white before boarding their plane" (Vancouver, Canada)

noisy and crowded or quiet and crowded (depending who you speak to)
you'll need insect repellent to battle to cockroaches and mosquitoes
friendly staff
clean
apparently there are couches and big comfy lounge chairs somewhere in there to sleep on
squat toilets
shower
clean bathrooms (although a few people report the bathrooms are filthy)
comfortable benches in the departure lounge
internet cafe

be careful when buy a phone card, you may pay more than you expect

and Islamabad

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan

"upright plastic lumbar devastating 'chairs' add to your foul mood after negotiating the carnage to actually end up in the departure lounge. (Col. Stewart)

"you must present your passport to this officer with some money inside it or face a long enough delay to even miss your flight" (?)

"Islamabad airport(international...they call it...!!) is like a train station of a small town." (?)

"If you are stuck there on a monday then the toilets and facilities are actually quite clean, If your stuck on a Sunday night and need to answer a call of nature, my advice is to wait till monday as the toilets are cleaned once a week. (Sleeping? I live in Airports!)

be prepared to pay some bribes
nasty, unhelpful and unhappy staff
come with a few photocopies of your passport or you may be forced pay a high cost for a copy at the airport
uncomfortable seats
bad odour
smoking is permitted
salmonella poisoning - be careful what food you buy!
3 minute blackouts

SameerM
23rd May 2008, 16:27
tell truth - I think airports are fun.. even Islamabad airport.. ok the problems mentioned above are tru 100% in terms of bribes and passport copies etc.

I usually just say my uncle is top notch, and he said i shud get thru no problem.. they always question u but then let u go after a bit

ps. never use a porter.. they take u STRAIGHT to the Bribe officers - and then porters get a cut too!

Oxy
23rd May 2008, 16:36
I fell asleep at Islamabad Airport - arrived 3 hours early. My son sat next to me - I fell asleep in a departure lounge packed with hundreds of passengers

When I woke up, there was no one there!! PAnicked - my son chilling on his Gameboy didnt think to wake me up.

We JUST made it onto the plane!!!

SameerM
23rd May 2008, 16:37
deep sleep oxy? usually every few minutes u get the speakers going off - such and such a plane delayed.. :)

Oxy
23rd May 2008, 16:40
deep sleep oxy? usually every few minutes u get the speakers going off - such and such a plane delayed.. :)

Deeper than deep. Hadnt slept previous night. Caught up with me.

Oxy
23rd May 2008, 16:42
Same airport - Islamabad. Pakistani 'freshie' guy about to make his 1st trip to the UK, dressed in a bright white suit; bright red shirt, yellow tie - wearing a 'flower haar'.

Ended up in the ladies toilets!!!! I saw him walking in - and the cruel man inside me said 'just wait and see what happens'!

Salman
23rd May 2008, 17:35
Last time i flew out of Karachi i was impressed, It was clean and well maintained, it was during a busy period but did not seem congested.

The only annoying thing is the guys at dutyfree shops who will not leave you alone.

I also got to meet Shoaib Malik who was on the way to India.

SameerM
23rd May 2008, 17:55
Salman, u shud have done a kwik on the spot interview !!

Salman
23rd May 2008, 18:22
Salman, u shud have done a kwik on the spot interview !!

I would have but i think he must of thought i was a bookie so he kept it short and sweet.

surfer
23rd May 2008, 18:33
I once slept for a few hours at the Calcutta airport....no complaints.

Garuda
23rd May 2008, 18:42
I try to sleep at Bangalore airport everytime I fly out as most of the intl flights are late night. No issues with airport. But someone or other from my company travels the same day and would wake me up...

Hope the new airport opening tomorrow will be ok as its big enough to hide in some corner and sleep.

Hash
23rd May 2008, 18:45
Lahore Airport is the newest airport in Pakistan, not Karachi.

SwEeT CaNdY
23rd May 2008, 19:14
Karachi airport is lovely...love it..soo clean n there u can also use internet for free

Rudi hater
23rd May 2008, 20:14
I have seen all three, I rate:

Lahore as number 1
Karachi 2
Islamabad 3 ( They are building a new ariport in Islamabad). That would be even better than Lahore and Karachi.

SameerM
23rd May 2008, 20:39
Islamabad 3 ( They are building a new ariport in Islamabad). That would be even better than Lahore and Karachi.

does that mean an increase in travel bribes? sorry i mean tax

WasimG
23rd May 2008, 21:59
Few months ago I flew to Pak via 1. O'hare - Chicago 2. Heathrow - London 3. Some Bahrain airport

It was all good till Chicago as I took everything for granted. At Heathrow they talked to me like I was a convict. A Chinese Britisher security guy was unfriendly and 'told' me to get back in the line. For someone living in the US, specially in the south where people are super nice, it was unacceptable. I promptly reminded him that he has a job because of me. The airport itself was 'under construction' and apologies were posted everywhere. Half of the airport employees were desis. And when I asked for a lime for my Corona at an airport bar they were like :O

Next stop Bahrain. Or was it 80s. I felt like I was at Sukher airport except that they had a huge duty free lounge and the Sky bar on the 3rd floor, where I shared some drinks with a couple of London guys I made friends with. I had to stay for 6 hours there. After they left for their Thailand flight, I asked a big guy at the bar, who appeared to be a typical redneck, chugging Budweisers, for a lighter and turns out he's a Texan. I wasn't gonna buy any more of those 10 dollar beers but he bought me 4 of them who was just glad to have another Texan resident to have a conversation with till he boarded to Dallas.

And now to my homeland after 6 years. The only person who was friendly was a guy in the men's room who offered me paper towels in hopes of a $ tip (like a nightclub's men's room) except that those paper towel ware toilet papers. I passed.

After a month when I was back at the Karachi airport flying back to US, a duty free employee bluntly refused to give me directions to a gate "ask someone else". Tried to make a call to my uncle in Karachi and a friend in London but the guy guarding the phones had to use a phone card for that, there was no price posted anywhere and he ripped me off with a ridiculously high price for the calls. Back at the Sky bar at Bahrain to kill time. Upon reaching Heathrow airport, the staff appeared to be 'nicer' this time, compared to my recent experience in Pakistan. Stayed a couple of days in London and when I landed in US at the O'hare again, an immigration officer checked my passport, smiled and said "Welcome back". Oh yeah it felt good to back. You gotta love this country. I asked an elderly airport employee for the gate for the Houston flight, he didn't just give me the directions but walked me all the way to the gate.

Mohsin
23rd May 2008, 22:18
Couple of years ago i had to come back from Pakistan on my own (Islamabad airport). My mum (you know how mums are, bless!) said to call her when a get through the baggage checking, into the waiting room. Got all clear (didnt have to pay aay bribes, not that i would have anyway!!). Asked to use the phone (one of those 'phone' people with the phone card already inserted was there. I called my mum and spoke to my uncle (MAX 1 minute 30), and the guy told me i owed him RS500!! We had a little conversation (made it clear to him, i may be young but that doesnt mean im stupid!), in the end he realised he couldnt scam a teenage kid and i gave him RS20.

23rd May 2008, 22:31
""you must present your passport to this officer with some money inside it or face a long enough delay to even miss your flight" (?)"

ok ... so that explains it .. these clowns took so long i almost did miss a flight of there !!

OZGOD
23rd May 2008, 22:33
tell truth - I think airports are fun.. even Islamabad airport.. ok the problems mentioned above are tru 100% in terms of bribes and passport copies etc.

I usually just say my uncle is top notch, and he said i shud get thru no problem.. they always question u but then let u go after a bit

ps. never use a porter.. they take u STRAIGHT to the Bribe officers - and then porters get a cut too!

Airports I like:
- Sydney (since they made it bigger)
- Hong Kong (wonderfully organised)
- Tokyo (same as HK)
- Detroit
- Toronto
- Munich
- Rome
- Barcelona
- Johannesburg
- Cape Town

Airports I hate:
- Heathrow (lost my bags once)
- LA (too crowded and takes forever to get from one terminal to another)
- Heathrow (lost my bags again)
- Auckland (tiny)
- Heathrow (way too crowded and disorganised)
- Boston (chaotic)
- Heathrow (lost my bags yet again)

All others I've been to were neither good nor bad.

Cryin Out Loud
23rd May 2008, 23:56
...........At Heathrow they talked to me like I was a convict.............
................Stayed a couple of days in London and when I landed in US at the O'hare again, an immigration officer checked my passport, smiled and said "Welcome back". Oh yeah it felt good to back. You gotta love this country. I asked an elderly airport employee for the gate for the Houston flight, he didn't just give me the directions but walked me all the way to the gate.

Word.

One can cuss out the US as much as one wants, but yeah their innate sense of courtesy (when in their country anyway) is amazing. Compared to the rest of the world, in my experience.

The Blazer
24th May 2008, 00:37
Lahore Airport is the newest airport in Pakistan, not Karachi.
Arriving at Lahore Airport is no problem. The excitement, noise and eagerness to see family get you through. But when you're departing it's a real nightmare. Forget the fact that they have machines that scan your suitcases, they still insist on opening every bloody suitcase and going through all your personal belongings.

It wasn't until they came across some of my dad's army medals and plaques tucked away in one corner of a suitcase that they finally felt some sharaam and let us go on our way.

MIG
24th May 2008, 01:50
The best airport ? Bahrain ! takes 1 hr max to clear at any time - such a pleasure using this airport - no long queues, no long walkways - just a simple place to checkin, get in your plane and go !

Pak_cricketer
24th May 2008, 02:07
The Islamabad Airport is still being built.

Nadia
24th May 2008, 02:58
Toronto's Lester B Pearson airport is one of the best in the World just so organized and beautiful.

Muzy
24th May 2008, 03:06
Dubai airport is really nice, didnt have any problems apart from the longggggggggg walk but you get to see alot of things whilst your doing a mile walk lolz

ive been to Abu Dhabi airport, was very beautiful - amazing mosaic architecture but is a small airport

i remember when i was in pk 5 n half yrs ago lahore airport was going under contruction or was about too, staff were so rude especially when i was checking in i told my dad to get tough with them they will con money out of us, and you know what happened the dude goes OH SORRY SIR BUT YOU HAVENT PAID AIRPORT TAX YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY 50 EACH (3 of us) and my dad was like NO WAY WE;VE ALREADY PAID FOR IT ITS STATED ON OUR TICKET and the dude had the nerve to say IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY PLEASE STEP ASIDE THERE IS A LONG QUEUE I HAVE A JOB TO DO

arrr i swore so badly i was so angry i went looking for the manager, came back with him he was really nice and reviewed our tickets and said sorry ma'am but your tickets do not state you have paid airport tax for pakistan's visit, you can get a refund back once you return to UK but you cannot board the flight without paying this now - idiots (and no we didnt get our money back it was a scam the w****ers)

i remember last yr when our flight from dubai to lahore got diverted to isb then to karachi, ended up in karachi, the lounge area was small, the toilets were errr cannot even explain i only wntd 2wash my hands as soon as i reached the door i just walked back tomy seat, no staff bothered 2explain 2us when our flight was due to go back to lahore we were stranded for 5 hours from 7am til around 1pm doing nothing i couldnt even sleep without being stared at

and i made a call to my mum for like 30seconds dude charged me 500rps i go your out of your mind i aint got 500rps i just handed him a 50rps note n walked off and he started to swear n shout n i ignored him coz i wasnt the only one who he conned

Muzy
24th May 2008, 03:19
Last time i flew out of Karachi i was impressed, It was clean and well maintained, it was during a busy period but did not seem congested.

The only annoying thing is the guys at dutyfree shops who will not leave you alone.

I also got to meet Shoaib Malik who was on the way to India.

realllly when did you meet him Salman, and how is he like??? what did he say to you or you say to him :D

24th May 2008, 03:23
Arriving at Lahore Airport is no problem. The excitement, noise and eagerness to see family get you through. But when you're departing it's a real nightmare. Forget the fact that they have machines that scan your suitcases, they still insist on opening every bloody suitcase and going through all your personal belongings.

It wasn't until they came across some of my dad's army medals and plaques tucked away in one corner of a suitcase that they finally felt some sharaam and let us go on our way.

errr ... u don't know the trick.

pretend like ur poor people and they'll leave u alone.

last time there they asked where i was from .. instead of saying defense i mentioned some small village ...

me and my suitcase full of bootleg DVDs made it through unharmed :P :P

(aside from contraband they are also looking for merchandise imported to pakistan .. you have to pay a tariff if ur taking any of this stuff out)

The Blazer
24th May 2008, 05:11
How exactly do you "pretend" to be poor?

Not really possible when you're wearing Western clothing and sporting some shades. :P

OZGOD
24th May 2008, 05:48
Dubai airport is really nice, didnt have any problems apart from the longggggggggg walk but you get to see alot of things whilst your doing a mile walk lolz

ive been to Abu Dhabi airport, was very beautiful - amazing mosaic architecture but is a small airport

i remember when i was in pk 5 n half yrs ago lahore airport was going under contruction or was about too, staff were so rude especially when i was checking in i told my dad to get tough with them they will con money out of us, and you know what happened the dude goes OH SORRY SIR BUT YOU HAVENT PAID AIRPORT TAX YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY 50 EACH (3 of us) and my dad was like NO WAY WE;VE ALREADY PAID FOR IT ITS STATED ON OUR TICKET and the dude had the nerve to say IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY PLEASE STEP ASIDE THERE IS A LONG QUEUE I HAVE A JOB TO DO

arrr i swore so badly i was so angry i went looking for the manager, came back with him he was really nice and reviewed our tickets and said sorry ma'am but your tickets do not state you have paid airport tax for pakistan's visit, you can get a refund back once you return to UK but you cannot board the flight without paying this now - idiots (and no we didnt get our money back it was a scam the w****ers)

i remember last yr when our flight from dubai to lahore got diverted to isb then to karachi, ended up in karachi, the lounge area was small, the toilets were errr cannot even explain i only wntd 2wash my hands as soon as i reached the door i just walked back tomy seat, no staff bothered 2explain 2us when our flight was due to go back to lahore we were stranded for 5 hours from 7am til around 1pm doing nothing i couldnt even sleep without being stared at

and i made a call to my mum for like 30seconds dude charged me 500rps i go your out of your mind i aint got 500rps i just handed him a 50rps note n walked off and he started to swear n shout n i ignored him coz i wasnt the only one who he conned

Just curious - do they do this to foreigners as well or just locals?

Cryin Out Loud
24th May 2008, 05:52
Just curious - do they do this to foreigners as well or just locals?

Either way you're ****ed Oz boy.

Salman
24th May 2008, 06:37
realllly when did you meet him Salman, and how is he like??? what did he say to you or you say to him :D

1st of Jan 09 ( few days after Beni got killed), I did'nt realise it was him at first and nor did the security staff, I was in the queue at the bit where they make you remove you belt and shoes, i look around and he was there, taking off his shoes... i told the security guard, look thats Shoaib Malik and he rushed me along quickly with an excited look on his face..

When he came past secuirty, i cornered him, told him i'm salman from the world famous cricket site pakpassion.net... quick hand shake, he said he was going to mumbai, quick photo with him, passed him my PP card and wished him good luck... he went on his merry way as his flight was boarding...

As he walk off i shouted "MUZY LOVES YOU!! ( only joking about the last bit) :D

Muzy
24th May 2008, 06:47
salman bhai i think u meant jan 08 (u wrote 09 by mistake)

wow cool, im yet to meet someone famous at the airport

lol ur so funny giggle

MIG
24th May 2008, 13:28
Heres another Worst airports list

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/bestof.htm

Worst Airport

This was toughy. If we were determine the worst airport based solely on the number of low-ranking votes an airport has received, Paris Charles de Gaulle would win (or lose depending how you look at it) hands down. However, we must also consider the truly heinous experiences people encounter and for that, there other airports that are much, much worse.

So you can probably imagine how difficult this award is to determine a winner for. I can never narrow it down to just one in this case. Everybody please put their hands together for Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea), an airport in which one of our contributors witnessed 7 seven being killed in a gang shoot-out.

When in Port Moresby, be sure you're wearing your bullet-proof vest and run.

There are the airports in the Mid-East and India section where we have received MANY Hellish reviews. In years past, we honoured the entire country of India who only has one airport rated "good", but only because it was a better alternative to actually sleeping in one of their hotels. Unacceptable seating, foul odours, filth, fleas, safety, and general hassles have resulted in India's 8 year reign of the Worst Airport(s) Title. Travellers beware: when sleeping in one of India's "fine" airports be sure you have your own bug spray, air freshener and disinfectant or just go to the nearest bar and drink the pain away.

Joseph K.
24th May 2008, 19:11
does that mean an increase in travel bribes? sorry i mean tax

I have travelled in and out of Pakistan countless times and never ever had to pay anybody nor was even asked to. I find immigration and passport control getting better each time I go there. I despise that camera on the counter, Karachi airport was infested with mosquitoes last time I went there, the man in the bathroom was there to turn the hand-dryer on for me. He asked me for all the Pakistani currency I had on me afterwards as, he tried to make me understand, it would be useless in England. I had 400 cigarettes on me, they objected that I was allowed only 200. I told them that the extra two hundred were for my wife. They were appalled. The old customs officer told me that according to Pakistani law, women couldn't smoke! I gave him a lecture on gender-equality but he would not budge. Finally my wife came forward and said 'This is not fair' and it did the trick as it always does!

Islamabad airport is ancient and lacks every modern facility. It is about time they changed it. New Lahore airport is excellent. I liked Bahrain airport as well. Chicago O'Hare is one of the worst airports I have ever used. O'Hare is the busiest airport in the world and I think it has only one runway. I have used it four or five times and each time the plane got stuck in 'traffic jam' for a very long time. The terminals are more boring than anywhere else I have been.

Joseph K.
24th May 2008, 19:17
I used Paris Charles de Gaulle back in 1996. Absolutely beautiful and extremely peaceful airport. I have fond memories of that one!