PDA

View Full Version : PTI Chairman's address in London yesterday

filosofee
8th June 2008, 16:14
Apologies for spamming with a couple of threads.

Okay, so it was Imran Khan hence my encomium! :)

His address was scheduled for 2.30pm but began at 4pm (another speaker's delayed flight from Dubai and cross London traffic). I left at 6.25pm and he was still speaking.

Initially, his acolytes were rather more preoccupied with capturing Imran's image than listening to his speech (no I was not involved in this display of warm approval!).

An accomplished, perspicacious proselytizer, I felt it was with profundity that he expressed his disgust at Pakistan's neo-colonisation, with the US suzerain over the country (Pakistan's leaders seek US/UK for 'policy permission').

Relating to the MQM, he iterated that that legal battle, though forestalled as much as is possible by Musharaf (for instance, not allowing Scotland Yard permission to visit Pakistan to speak to key witnesses), is not forgotten and is underway. Imran reminded that Al Capone was caught for tax evasion in the US eventually, and not for any involvement in murders for lack of evidence.

Re education, Imran was aghast at how little Pakistan spent of its GDP on this, in comparison to its neighbour India who had progressed so much since the early 80s. Imran visualised a technical university in a beautiful Pakistan locality where the campus would have access for expansion (in contrast to say LUMS in Lahore). Funds and expertise are needed. I'm up for assisting on this project.

Imran talked about the potential for environmental catastrophe in the project to build 'New Murree' city in Patriata and his involvement to bring the danger to the world's awareness.

Re Pakistan itself and politics, he said that where there was no 'rule of law' no true democracy could exist. He said the lack of 'rule of law' was a prime reason for the continuing descent of Pakistan, where at one time it was deemed an emerging and developing country, with renowned engineers, for example. PIA, he cited, was once the number two airline in the world, assisting in creating the now number one, Emirates.

Let's hope Imran is less rhetoric and more real. I believe if anyone in Pakistan can realise what was once envisioned for Pakistan, Imran can do it, because he has the capacity to bring together the right people to make this happen.

I wish him luck with his technological university, this would be wonderful for Pakistan and for the whole region of Asia.