PDA

View Full Version : Real reported over Ronaldo link

Geordie Ahmed
9th June 2008, 21:01
from bbc.co.uk/sport

Manchester United have lodged an official complaint with Fifa over Real Madrid's interest in signing their Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

The English champions have reacted angrily to the Spaniards' persistent courting of the 23-year-old.

"On 27 May, United made clear its intention to report Real Madrid if it continued to involve itself in the future of Ronaldo," a statement read.

"Unfortunately, Real Madrid has not kept its own counsel."

The statement went on: "The club feels it has no alternative but to make a formal complaint to the world governing body, which it has done today.

"The precise content and nature will remain confidential."

A Fifa spokesman added: "I can confirm that we have received an official request from Manchester United to look into the matter.

"We have only just received the documents so we need some time to analyse them before we can make any decision."

The two clubs have been engaged in a war of words over the last month - while comments attributed to the player himself have also fuelled the speculation.

Despite being under contract at Old Trafford until 2012, Ronaldo has refused to state publicly and unequivocally that his future lies with United.

The Red Devils' threat of a complaint to Fifa on 27 May came after Real coach Bernd Schuster claimed Ronaldo was their number one summer transfer target.

Following United's victory over Chelsea in the Champions League final, manager Sir Alex Ferguson accused Real of a "lack of morals", insisted his player was not for sale and criticised Schuster and Madrid club president Ramon Calderon for their attempts to unsettle the player.

"Schuster's talking and Calderon's talking," he said. "Real think they can ride roughshod over everyone, but they won't do it with us. They have no moral issues."

And Ferguson drew a comparison with Real's fierce rivals Barcelona as he fought to draw a line under continuing speculation surrounding the 23-year-old's future.

He said: "In terms of great clubs, Barcelona have far better morality than Real Madrid will ever have. Real use this Marca newspaper as a vehicle to unsettle players.

"Do you not think we have had many expressions of interest about our players from big clubs in Europe?

"Real Madrid are not the only club interested in Ronaldo. But the others are not saying so. They don't get into this nonsense.

"Calderon makes that great statement 'slavery was abolished many years ago'. Did they tell General Franco that? Give me a break.

"The simple fact is Cristiano has another four years left on his contract."

United have sold David Beckham, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Gabriel Heinze to Real in recent years, but Ferguson insisted the case of Ronaldo was different.

He said: "Yes, we sold them Van Nistelrooy and Beckham but we did that because we wanted to."

And Argentine defender Heinze was transferred to Real last summer after failing in a public battle to secure a move to United's arch-rivals Liverpool.

Calderon has denied that his club were trying to unsettle Ronaldo, saying: "We aren't going to start a conflict. If a club doesn't want to sell why would we insist they sell him?"

But Ronaldo was quoted last week as saying that he "would like to play for Real Madrid - but only if they are ready to pay what Manchester United ask of them".

Ferguson had previously said that the club would rather have Ronaldo sitting in the stands than sell him to Real.

But on Sunday, Ronaldo said he had not decided about his future, and would not comment again until after the European Championship.

Geordie Ahmed
9th June 2008, 21:02
Bit hypocritical of Man-Utd to report Real Madrid for something they have been doing themselves for years

Also lets not forget the role Ronaldo is playing in this - all he has to say is he is happy at Man-Utd and doesnt want to leave BUT his ummming and aaaing is what is fuelling the speculation. Ronaldo is more to blame for this situation imo

Altho i did like the Fergie dig at Real/General Franco :19:

Straight Bat
9th June 2008, 22:01
Let me remind Fergie of this list and maybe he might remember how he signed them...

Ruud Van Nistlerooy
Jaap Stam
David Bellion
Rio Ferdinand
Wayne Rooney
Louis Saha
Owen Hargreaves

Attempts made at:

Robben
Ronaldinho

and many, many more.

Geordie Ahmed
9th June 2008, 22:05
exactly - the guy has selective amnesia it seems

all managers tap up players - reporting others for something you do is pretty low imo

Amir
10th June 2008, 03:54
Pretty dumb on Fergie. Only person to blame is Ronaldo for always saying "I love Manchester...but who knows what the future is." DUH! No one knows what the future is, but when you continue to emphasize it....you are tryign to hitn something.

I wouldnt mind if Ronaldo wanted to leave. I dont want to hold a palyer against his will and I hope he understands teh pressure at Real. They will expect results, no more fans protecting you. I just want 70 million or more for him and then try to make a run for Kaka who recently has been reported to be interested in joining us.

As much as I disagree with this move by Fergie, one can't help but hope that Real get fined :))

Oxy
10th June 2008, 04:01
I watched that interview Ferguson gave DAvid Frost last week.

He hasnnt spoken to the BBC since they mentioned his sons antics as an agent.

Basically, the guy deals with double standards - like most managers.

Best if Man U said nothing really.

Wont be long before they try to 1) Unsettle a player 2) Tap up a player 3) Sign up a player

Big Mac
10th June 2008, 04:22
I guess if anyone would know what tapping up is it's Ferguson and Man Utd

Nakhuda
10th June 2008, 07:08
Fergie finds it difficult to accept that his player may actually want to leave Man Utd the self-proclaimed best club in the world!!
If Ronaldo joins Real it'll leave Fergie's face as red as his nose! :))

Amir
10th June 2008, 07:17
Fergie finds it difficult to accept that his player may actually want to leave Man Utd the best club in the world!!
If Ronaldo joins Real it'll leave Fergie's face as red as his nose! :))

Corrected. :)

Geordie Ahmed
16th June 2008, 23:53
from bbc.co.uk/sport

Fifa will take no formal action against Real Madrid over Manchester United's complaint about their public pursuit of Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

United lodged a complaint to world football's governing body in May over what they believed was a deliberate attempt by Real to unsettle the player.

But Real president Ramon Calderon said United "had no evidence" for the claim.

Fifa said in a statement: "From the documentation received, no breach of contract appears to have occurred yet.

"Therefore, in accordance with the applicable practice, no kind of formal procedure has been opened by Fifa regarding this matter," it continued.

However Fifa did ask the Spanish Football Federation to "remind Real Madrid about the potential legal consequences of a breach of contract without just cause".

The news will come as a disappointment to United who objected to a number of public statements by the Spanish club.

Real have made clear their admiration of 23-year-old Ronaldo but they have been careful to acknowledge that he is still under contract in Manchester.

Article 18 of Fifa's regulations states that one club have to inform another in writing if they are to start negotiations.

However, the rules do not specifically state that the club that owns the player have to give consent.

United's initial complaint said: "On 27 May, United made clear its intention to report Real Madrid if it continued to involve itself in the future of Ronaldo.

"Unfortunately, Real Madrid has not kept its own counsel."

Real coach Bernd Schuster claimed Ronaldo was their main summer transfer target, triggering United's initial threat of a complaint, while Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has accused the Spanish club of a "lack of morals" for allegedly unsettling the player.

At the start of June, Ronaldo was reported to have told website Terra that he wanted to play at Madrid, "but only if it's true they are ready to pay what Manchester United ask of them."

In response Calderon told a Spanish newspaper: "For Madrid it is an honour to know that a player like him thinks that playing at Real would be good. We are proud to know that he would like to be with us."

Ronaldo, currently with Portugal at Euro 2008, has said he will not speak about the subject again before the end of the tournament but he did say he had yet to decide about his future.

Despite being under contract at Old Trafford until 2012, Ronaldo has refused to state publicly and unequivocally that his future lies with United.

Megadeth
17th June 2008, 00:33
Just sell him SAF...and lets it get it over with...if not this season then the next..he is moving to Real for sure...if he loses form a lil..ManUtd wont get more than 30m for him...time to cash-in on him

Geordie Ahmed
19th June 2008, 22:09
from bbc.co.uk/sport

Real Madrid have confirmed they are waiting for Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo to reveal his intentions over where his future lies.

The Premier League champions want to keep the Portugal captain, whose contract at Old Trafford runs to 2012.

But the 23-year-old will not decide on his future until after Euro 2008.

"As soon as he says he wants to play for Real Madrid, there will be conversations," Madrid official Miguel Angel Arroyo told newspaper Marca.

Arroyo, who is Madrid's director general of the presidency, continued: "We would willingly reach an agreement with Manchester United if it is possible, if they want to sell and if the price was affordable."

Madrid coach Bernd Schuster added on Cope radio station: "We are left hanging on a little because of what is happening in the European Championships.

"At the moment, there is a lot of speculation, but that is normal."

Ronaldo insists he will not talk about where his future lies until Portugal's involvement in Euro 2008 is over.

Portugal face Germany in the tournament's first quarter-final on Thursday.

Manchester United have already reported Real Madrid to world governing body Fifa over their public courtship of Ronaldo, although the organisation decided to take no formal action.

Zechariah
21st June 2008, 08:05
Roma In Furious Attack On Sir Alex

The Goal.com

Roma technical director Bruno Conti has unleashed a furious attack on Sir Alex Ferguson, calling the Manchester United manager a hypocrite after he poached one of Italy’s brightest young talents from the Giallorossi.

Support striker Davide Petrucci is regarded as one of the best young players of his generation, and has been labelled by some as the “new Francesco Totti”.

However as he was still under age, Petrucci had not signed a professional contract with Roma, and Manchester United nipped in to poach the 16-year-old prodigy for a miserly £200,000, offering him £95,000 per year, plus all expenses paid for him to fly home to Italy on a regular basis.

This transfer has infuriated the Calcio community, who have ganged up on Man Utd for stealing the youngster off Roma.

Giallorossi technical director has now launched a ferocious attack on Sir Alex Ferguson, accusing him of double standards, following the manager’s criticism of Real Madrid’s methods in trying to sign Cristiano Ronaldo.

“They complain about Ronaldo and then did the same thing with David,” an absolutely seething Conti told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“His father Stefano has disappointed me. I will not be told any more lies. As for the boy, I wish him all the best in the world.”

English clubs have long been criticised by foreign clubs for stealing under-age players, many of these coming from Italy.

Reggina’s 15-year-old prospect Vincenzo Camilleri was snapped up by Chelsea in February, Atalanta’s teenage talent Fabio Zamblera by Newcastle Utd, while a few years back Parma-duo Giuseppe Rossi and Arturo Lupoli were signed by Man Utd and Arsenal respectively.

This led Palermo’s outspoken President Maurizio Zamparini to famously brand English team’s as “pirates”.[QUOTE]

Oxy
3rd September 2008, 13:54
Best if Man U said nothing really.

Wont be long before they try to 1) Unsettle a player 2) Tap up a player 3) Sign up a player

And true to form, they've done it.

They spoke to Berbatov WITHOUT Spurs permission.

Ferguson personally picks him up from the airport - BEFORE theyve even agreed a fee with Spurs!

Spurs then agreed a fee with Man City.....

Man Utd gave him a medical - WITHOUT Spurs permission.

Alex Ferguson is a hypocritical disgrace to the game - rather than attack Real Madrid for 'tapping-up', if he so against the practice...best to live by those 'principals' or best to just shut up????

Geordie Ahmed
3rd September 2008, 16:50

Ferguson personally picks him up from the airport - BEFORE theyve even agreed a fee with Spurs!

Alex Ferguson is a hypocritical disgrace to the game - rather than attack Real Madrid for 'tapping-up', if he so against the practice...best to live by those 'principals' or best to just shut up????

We have known that for years tho

Who can forget Jaap Stam's autobiography where he admits that Fergie and Co tapped him up - there are numerous examples of this guys hypocrisy, and its not just restricted to transfer dealings

Amir
3rd September 2008, 22:02

Please get your facts correct. We spoke to Berbatov with Spurs permission. If you watch SSN, they said the deal pretty much had been tied in the morning and it was all formalities during the day. Please, provide some sort of article or evidence that we spoke to them without permission rather than your usual speculation.

Furthermore, its funny how the Man City bid got accepted AFTER Berbatov was in Manchester. So if he didnt hear anything about Man City......then how did he know to go to Manchester?

Furthermore, when did Sir Alex ever name him in the papers? He just said we need a striker and the media being the media linked us to Berbatov. They also linked us to Benzema, Huntelaar, Falcao and even Mutu......does that mena we are tapping them up too?

Oxy
3rd September 2008, 23:27
The denial is staggering.

In this instant, Ferguson should just shut up - accept he is 'Lord Tapper-Upper of Lancashire' and just get on with it...continue doing it, knowing that others do it.

The sham that ensued when they actually reported Real Madrid was embarrassing!

Geordie Ahmed
4th September 2008, 00:14

In this instant, Ferguson should just shut up - accept he is 'Lord Tapper-Upper of Lancashire' and just get on with it...continue doing it, knowing that others do it.

True

Its obvious their conduct during the 'Berbatov' saga has been unsavoury

Its a shame that Levy accepted money to keep quiet cos they really should have reported Man-Utd and show the doublke standards of Fergie and Co.

Oxy
4th September 2008, 04:16
True

Its obvious their conduct during the 'Berbatov' saga has been unsavoury

Its a shame that Levy accepted money to keep quiet cos they really should have reported Man-Utd and show the doublke standards of Fergie and Co.

Well Levy will probably end up 'tapping up' a player soon - hence kicking up a fuss...and then 'backing down'!

Geordie Ahmed
4th September 2008, 04:20
Well Levy will probably end up 'tapping up' a player soon - hence kicking up a fuss...and then 'backing down'!

Actually they already have - they 'pinched' that 16 year old kid (John Bostock i think his name is) from Crystal Palace and that infuriated Simon Jordan

Infact how about their manager Juande Ramos who they 'tapped'

Premierleague is full of managers who tap up other players - the difference is some accept it goes on BUT some like Fergie like to protray themselves as angels and victims

TAK
4th September 2008, 12:09
i remember the **** players tapping up duck billed whilst he was on world cup duty

Amir
7th September 2008, 21:23

What denial? I don't deny that Sir Alex has tapped players up but at in this instance, we did nothing wrong. You are yet to provide any proof, (what a surprise).

We are very comfortable we had permission to do what we did and it was clear to Tottenham and (Spurs chairman) Daniel Levy in particular that he knew what we were doing and if that wasn't the case we wouldn't have done it."

As for your claim that we did it without permission ,thers i your answer from David Gill. But maybe you have some insider info I dont know about.

You know Oxy, I think you should consider a career with The Sun or Marca, you would make a cracking reporter for those newspapers.

Oxy
7th September 2008, 21:29
^^^

Yes I made it all up.

Geordie Ahmed
7th September 2008, 21:42
These are comments made by David Gill

"Still, it is interesting that when Alex mentioned the Dimitar Berbatov signing from Spurs in advance that complaints were made to the Premier League and yet he is publicly listing a host of players he claims to want to buy."

Maybe im misreading things BUT that sounds like an admission that Berbatov was mentioned beforehand

Big Mac
8th September 2008, 01:09
hahahaha Amir demanding proof from others after he's failed to come up with the goods himself on more than one occasion after shooting his mouth off without a clue over the Calciopoli situation.

Guess they don't do irony in his neck of the woods, having replaced the need for it with simply ignoring threads and hoping they sink away from the front page until people forget about them.

Amir
8th September 2008, 01:56
These are comments made by David Gill

Maybe im misreading things BUT that sounds like an admission that Berbatov was mentioned beforehand

Yes, he is speaking in regards to the formal bid we put forth of 20 million. Sir Alex never mentioned Berbatov's name. Only when asked by the media, whether he was coming he simply said "the deal is in the works."

Then some Norwegian paper quoted Sir Alex said "we have berba" and within a couple day they said they just made the quote up. When that paper was released though, the next day Levy decided to pursue the case.

Futhermore, Rafa said Keanes name in public. Sir Alex never mentioned Berba directly, we let the media do our dirty work.

Also Big Mac...you want the proof? Maybe that they were proven guilty. Not my fault your team are a bunch of proven and guilty cheats.

Amir
8th September 2008, 01:57
^^^

Yes I made it all up.

I can note the sarcasm but there is a big egg on your face after you claimed we spoke to Berbatov without Levys permission. :)))

Geordie Ahmed
8th September 2008, 03:55
I can note the sarcasm but there is a big egg on your face after you claimed we spoke to Berbatov without Levys permission. :)))

No egg really

I for one second dont believe what Gill has to say - the fact that the deal included "dropping the case against Man-Utd" tells me that Spurs silence was "bought"

Big Mac
8th September 2008, 05:47
Also Big Mac...you want the proof? Maybe that they were proven guilty. Not my fault your team are a bunch of proven and guilty cheats.

That's not what I asked from you though is it? Keep on avoiding the question though, not going to make any difference to how seriously we take you.