PDA

View Full Version : Villa Fine Barry and Say LFC have still not met asking price

Saj
3rd July 2008, 01:37
Aston Villa have rejected Liverpool's latest bid for Gareth Barry, who has been disciplined and ordered not to report for pre-season training.

Liverpool's new bid is about 15m, but Villa say that "still falls short of our valuation and has been rejected".

Villa captain Barry, 27, has been punished for giving an unauthorised interview to a newspaper in which he criticised boss Martin O'Neill.

O'Neill will let Barry join Liverpool - but only when his asking price is met.

Liverpool hope to finally resolve a protracted and increasingly acrimonious saga, but O'Neill is furious at how the Anfield club's interest in Barry became public.

O'Neill has been firm in his stance on the proposed move, saying: "If Liverpool meet our valuation, he will have his express wish to leave Villa Park granted."

In the interview that led to his punishment, Barry criticised Villa for not trying hard enough to keep him - even though O'Neill insists they want him to stay.

The player signalled his intention to move when he complained on Sunday about Villa's lack of urgency in speaking to him.

"There's no going back, it's time for me to move on," he said.

"I'm desperate to play Champions League football and that's why I have to leave Villa.

"Villa kept saying they wanted me to stay but I have not heard from the manager for weeks.

"It's seven weeks now since the season finished but while the gaffer's found time to be a pundit at Euro 2008, he hasn't found the time to speak to me.

"Have Villa offered me anything to try to persuade me my future is at Villa Park, not Anfield? Not a thing."

But O'Neill has hit back to vehemently deny Barry's claim.

"The chairman and I were surprised at Gareth's comments," he said.

"Contrary to what he said, we desperately wanted to keep him - and he knows that."

Barry captained England for the first time and scored his first international goal during the recent friendly against Trinidad and Tobago.

Liverpool are keen to partner Barry in midfield with his England colleague Steven Gerrard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7450271.stm

Nakhuda
3rd July 2008, 22:35
LFC shouldn't make any further bids for Gareth Barry b'cos they'll keep on increasing the price.He's a decent player but not worth the reported 18 million that MO is holding out for.

Benitez should consider other options leaving them with a very unhappy captain,then MO will really regret his blackmailing tactics!

Oxy
4th July 2008, 01:47
Pathetic way Liverpool have handled this.

Very unlike Liverpool. This sort of tactic is fine if you are Man U or Chelsea, but Liverpool doing this is just another reason why footy has gone up its own backside in the Premiership.

Barry is a good player - but he has MArtin O'Neil to thank for his renaissonace last season.

Easier being the 'top dog' at a non-top 4 side....Not sure it will be so rosy at Anfield

Saj
10th July 2008, 01:46
The stalemate continues. Villa wont budge on 18M - surely LFC arent struggling to raise the cash are they?

If I were a Liverpool fan I'd be a little worried about the financial situation and just how much cash uncles Gillet and Hicks actually have for the club.

Geordie Ahmed
10th July 2008, 18:28
Its silly money for Barry BUT Man-Utd set the precedent by paying 18 Million for Carrick and then last summer paying 18 Million for Hargreaves, dont blame Villa for wanting the same amount of money

I really dont understand Rafa's thinking, spending that much money on Barry is just daft

Oxy
10th July 2008, 20:43
What would be funny is if another club exceeded the asking price and pinched Barry from Liverpool!!!

I think the 2 transfers thatre to blame for this are the CArrick and D Bent moves - over-inflated prices that have rocked the selling fees for English qualified players

Saj
10th July 2008, 20:53
I actually think Barry is worth the money because he can play centre midfield, left back and left midfield of course, its just the amount of time that is being taken by Liverpool to finalise the deal is puzzling.

Surely a club of that stature dont have to sell before they can buy anyone ?

Saj
16th July 2008, 03:29
Well he's back training with Villa and once again whispers that Arsenal may be making a bid soon. Also Alonso isnt wanted by Juve either.

Big Mac
16th July 2008, 03:45
Yeah, Juve have just signed Poulsen and claim they're not after anybody else over the summer

Oxy
16th July 2008, 03:59
GOOD!

1) Barry saga - embarrasment for LFC. O'Neil conducted himslef impeccably. Would be hilarious if Arsenal get him!

2) Carson - LFC asked Villa for 10 million - he's now going to SToke for 4 million! Oops!

3) Alonso - might still be here after all. Juve say 'No'!

KaSaNoVa_G
16th July 2008, 21:38
I know this aint the thread but seeing as Oxy has bought up Carson i need to ask pool fans how on earth did he go for around 4m ??? i mean his a good keeper his played for England his young and maybe a future England keeper.. and the fact his English meaning his"over priced" with all that how did you manage to get only 4m for him lols ?

With Hleb.. Flamini.. Gilberto all gone or going to leave Arsenal in the next few days i wont be suprised if Arsenal get Barry.. Villa have always stated they would like to take Hoyte of Arsenal so the word is we will give them 14/15m and Hoyte on top !

Oxy
16th July 2008, 22:22
I know this aint the thread but seeing as Oxy has bought up Carson i need to ask pool fans how on earth did he go for around 4m ??? i mean his a good keeper his played for England his young and maybe a future England keeper.. and the fact his English meaning his"over priced" with all that how did you manage to get only 4m for him lols ?

With Hleb.. Flamini.. Gilberto all gone or going to leave Arsenal in the next few days i wont be suprised if Arsenal get Barry.. Villa have always stated they would like to take Hoyte of Arsenal so the word is we will give them 14/15m and Hoyte on top !

I havent followed it really, but I know that Carson was on loan at Villa - and they wanted to make the move permenant.

Then Liverpool went public with the BArry negotiations....Villa not impressed with LFCs offer.

Then LFC priced Carson at 10 mill.

Villa told LFC where they could stick it!!!! No one else seems to want CArson - so LFC have no option to sell him to Stoke!

And with BArry going back to Villa for training AFTER he had bad-mouthed O'Neil...its hilarious.

Saj
22nd July 2008, 02:25
All gone quiet this one. Really do think he'd be a great signing for Liverpool.

Oxy
31st July 2008, 02:38
What would be funny is if another club exceeded the asking price and pinched Barry from Liverpool!!!

I think the 2 transfers thatre to blame for this are the CArrick and D Bent moves - over-inflated prices that have rocked the selling fees for English qualified players

Well well well!!!

What would be even funnier is if no one gets him!!! And it looks like LFC have walked away after paying 20 million for Robbie O'Keane - 'for the club I supported as a kid' etc.

1) Credit Martin O'Neil throughout

2) Shame on LFC for unsettling a player - and leaving him high & dry to the 'boo-boys'

3) Shame on Gareth Barry for bad mouthing & disrespecting O'Neil

The whole sorry sequence of events has tainted top-flight football for me

Geordie Ahmed
31st July 2008, 04:10
Im sure its not the end of the saga - still a month of the transfer window to go

Atif
31st July 2008, 18:57
Barry's Liverpool move still on

Gareth Barry's proposed move to Liverpool could yet go ahead despite Aston Villa stating he will be staying with them, BBC Sport understands.

Liverpool failed to meet Villa's deadline of Wednesday to sign the 27-year-old England midfielder.

That led Villa to announce the deal was off, yet Liverpool remain eager to sign Barry and he wants to move to Anfield.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill and chairman Randy Lerner are due to meet Barry and his agent for talks later this week.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has said he needs to sell players before he can meet Villa's valuation for Barry, which is believed to be 18m.

Villa manager O'Neill said on Wednesday that he was "absolutely delighted" Barry would be staying at Villa Park and "relieved there is resolution and closure to the transfer saga".

He added: "Now we can all look forward to the season ahead with relief, anticipation and ambition."

Villa have already rejected a number of bids from Liverpool that fell short of their valuation for the player.

606: DEBATE
He hasn't said he wants to stay, Liverpool have just missed the deadline

CardiffbornScouse
O'Neill has made no secret of his displeasure at Liverpool's conduct in trying to sign Barry and the player himself was ordered not to report for pre-season training after criticising his manager in a newspaper interview.

But the England international played for Villa in a friendly against Walsall and came on as a substitute in their Intertoto Cup win over Odense.

Villa's ire will have been increased by the fact that Liverpool splashed out 19m for Tottenham striker Robbie Keane - with the fee possibly reaching 20.3m with add-ons - yet have been unwilling to match an 18m valuation for Barry

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7533851.stm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not even sure why liverpool want him, he is just an ordinary player, nothing special about him

Geordie Ahmed
15th August 2008, 01:10
1832: Big news coming into us here at Television Centre, with Aston Villa naming Gareth Barry in their starting line-up. Now we all know what that means, don't we? That if he still moves to Liverpool, he won't be allowed to play in the Champions League until February. So how much does that knock off his 18m price tag?

Oxy
15th August 2008, 01:23
All round disaster...

The main loser in all of this is Gareth Barry. Liverpool fans not bothered by him...Villa fans thinking he's Judas!

And thats the 'Premiership Ethos' for you in a nutshell!

Saj
15th August 2008, 01:57
This may sound strange to some, but I would have splashed out on Barry rather than on Keane if LFC had to choose 1 of them.

Geordie Ahmed
15th August 2008, 04:08
This may sound strange to some, but I would have splashed out on Barry rather than on Keane if LFC had to choose 1 of them.

I disagree

They are okay in midfield BUT upfront they needed a partner for Torres - obviously Crouch was sold, Kuyt doesnt score and Voronin is just rubbish

Oxy
15th August 2008, 04:12
Voronin is just rubbishSo he's improved from last season??

Geordie Ahmed
15th August 2008, 04:14
So he's improved from last season??

:))) :))) :)))

Saj
15th August 2008, 17:23
I disagree

They are okay in midfield BUT upfront they needed a partner for Torres - obviously Crouch was sold, Kuyt doesnt score and Voronin is just rubbish
In my opinion GA, Liverpool played their best football last season when Gerrard was Torres' partner and they played him in the hole, a sort of 4-5-1. Now they have bought Keane means that in effect they will have to resort back to 4-4-2 which is a bit strange.

Also with Barry, he can play in 3 positions which is a huge advantage.

I'm sure Keane will score goals at Liverpool, but I just think if they wanted to challenge for the Premiership, then Barry would have been the better option.