http://www.rediff.com/sports/2008/aug/11bindra.htm
First Individual Gold for India ever.

PlanetPakistan
11th August 2008, 10:44
Brilliant stuff!

1st individual gold for them

switchblade
11th August 2008, 10:45
Well, at last India won an INDIVIDUAL GOLD for the first time in the 112 years of OLYMPIC HISTORY.. 10m air rifle shooting.

The guy who won the gold is Mr. Abhinav Bindra.. he is a CEO of his own company and does RIFLE SHOOTING as a hobby.. needless to say, he is a wealthy man.

You know that says a lot about why India has never done well in olympics.

Though its popular to use the 1 billion people argument (why 1 billion people dont win no medals in olympics) to constantly berate Indians, you have to remember that life is India is much harsher and there is a big struggle for basic necessities than in the western world.

300 million people, equal to the entire population of US, go hungry every night in India.

Indian govt doesnt pick kids and brainwash them to become athletes with a do or die mission like the Chinese do.. it is busy forming votebank alliances to further destroy the country is all :))

Sports are still not a good career choice and parents do force many talented ones to give up their dreams.. I know one such case personally, one of my very good friends during childhood days, Abbas Ali, was a brilliant runner and high jumper.. he was a tall and skinny kid, but had so much stamina, he could compete with guys who were much stronger looking and muscular than him.. especially, he had a school record for the 800 m race and he aspired very much to compete at state or even national level.. all the way from 6th standard to 10th. Sports seemed a very very obvious career choice for this guy. But he came from a lower middle class but somewhat education minded family.

I lost touch with him for a while and we met accidentally after just 3 years.. and asked him what he is doing, he was still looking fit, but he said he doesnt want to run again as it would disturb his aim of BECOMING AN ENGINEER AND COMING TO USA... I was shocked at his language and all for he was really big time into sports - esp the unpopular ones like marathon running that no body even cares in India... it was very obvious that his parents drilled and grilled him to abandon sports and become like every1 else.

Thats why competing in sports at an international level is left to the likes of Abhinav Bindras... wealthy, affluent businessmen who play sport as a hobby.

Maybe our govt too should kidnap little kids and force them in a boot camp style to become INDOOR SKATERs, a skill which will really help them a lot in future to earn a livelihood :P

Then we could also use Olympic medal tallys as a propaganda tool for developing NATIONAL PRIDE :D like our other 1 billion+ neighbors do :P

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2008/aug/11bindra.htm

Abhinav Bindra wins 10m air rifle gold

August 11, 2008 09:39 IST
Last Updated: August 11, 2008 10:18 IST

Abhinav Bindra won the gold medal in men's 10 metre air rifle event of the shooting competition at Beijing [Images] Olympics [Images] on Monday morning.

The medal is India's first individual gold, and the first since 1980, when the hockey team emerged triumphant in Moscow [Images].

Bindra shot a total score of 700.5.

China's Zhu Qinan, gold medalist at Athens 2004, won the silver medal with a total score of 699.7.

The bronze medal was won by Finland's Henri Hakkinen, who was leading the field after the qualification round, but was unable to hold off Bindra and Zhu in the final.

Bindra held his nerve to score 10.8 on the 10th and final shot, while Zhu shot 10.5 and Hakkinen fell back with a poor score of 9.7.

nikred
11th August 2008, 10:50
last time India won a gold was way back in 1980. I wasnt even born then.:)

jusarrived
11th August 2008, 12:13
man this is so cool ....we all knew that our archers & shooters wer world class ..infact all the 9 shooters are good enuf to win medals , some how they used to screw up in the Olympics..gret feat this by bindra , you make us all proud !

btw saina nehwal also knocked out the no4 seed in badminton , into the quarters & just one win away from a medal ......!

PlanetPakistan
11th August 2008, 12:59
Does archery have something to do with the Hindu religion?

deathstreak
11th August 2008, 13:34

nopes, at least not that I remember.
Its got more to do with being the choice weapon for long range combat in the medivial era.
In fact the best technical bows would have been the cho-ku-nu of the chinese and the Long Bow of the English. It was undoubtedly the longbow which helped England defeat France in the 100 year war.

Archery, Shooting has a lot more to do with concentration and skill rather than muscular power. So that could be a reason why Asian countries tend to do well in these sports. Though personally I don't think so.

As far as archery in India goes it came to spotlight after it was found that tribals in India still use bows and are damn good with them.

12thMan
11th August 2008, 19:11
Abhinav had every facility at his beck and call - his family in the northern state of Punjab has spent millions of rupees to fuel his dream of an Olympic medal....

His affluent family - he himself runs one of the businesses, Abhinav Futuristics, named after him - backed him to the extent that he had a private shooting range at home.

His father spared no effort to ensure the best of everything from equipment to coaches to training stints and tournaments for exposure.

The government, too, kept faith in him with a number of grants.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44910000/jpg/_44910871_bindracoachgabyafp226.jpg
(Nindra with coach)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7553567.stm

OZGOD
11th August 2008, 21:38
Gratz!

iZeeshan
11th August 2008, 22:04
Congrats.

This really hurts me, as a Pakistani, on the inside.

pakistanbest
11th August 2008, 22:59
Congrats to Team India.

Pakistan have won Gold before but does anyone know how much in total they have got since they began participating in the Olympics?

octavian
11th August 2008, 23:09
i dont think we have an individual gold pakistanbest.

pakistanbest
11th August 2008, 23:31
i dont think we have an individual gold pakistanbest.

:( :( :(

so the Gold's we have won must have been in team related sports such as Hockey :(

dont think we will win an individual gold this Olympics sadly :( :(

Mohsin
11th August 2008, 23:38
This is Pakistan's Olympic medal record:

3 Golds- All hockey
3 Silver- All hockey
4 Bronzes- 2 hockey
1 boxer- Syed Hussain Shah
1 wrestler- Mohammad Bashir

pakistanbest
11th August 2008, 23:45
Thanks for the info Mohsin Mate.

sad to see how useless Pakistan have been in the Olympics, Insh'Allah this will improve in 2012 in London

tmac4real
12th August 2008, 00:26

Arjuna of Mahabharata was an amazing archer, in the stories he is often seen with Krishna and some believe he was a Krishna himself in Mahabharata.

nikred
12th August 2008, 02:45
Arjuna of Mahabharata was an amazing archer, in the stories he is often seen with Krishna and some believe he was a Krishna himself in Mahabharata.

But i dont think it has in any ways influenced modern day Indian athletes.:P

OZGOD
12th August 2008, 02:50
What else is India and Pak competing in?

bablu_khan
12th August 2008, 03:11
What else is India and Pak competing in?

india is competing in tennis, badminton, archery, swimming, judo, boxing, shooting, rowing, sailing etc.

pakistan is also contesting in many sports, but they are almost out exception of hockey.

inshallah both countries will win some more medals.

TAK
12th August 2008, 03:24
Pakistan have won Gold before but does anyone know how much in total they have got since they began participating in the Olympics?

we could reclaim amir khan's silver :batman:

switchblade
12th August 2008, 04:13
india is competing in tennis, badminton, archery, swimming, judo, boxing, shooting, rowing, sailing etc.

pakistan is also contesting in many sports, but they are almost out exception of hockey.

inshallah both countries will win some more medals.

Infact, I wish that due to some miraculous stage all Chinese, RUssian and American athletes have sudden TENDULKAR ELBOITIS and leave the field for minnows... so that FIji, India, Pak, SOmalia, can all win dozens of gold :))

Kannan
12th August 2008, 10:26
Congrats.

This really hurts me, as a Pakistani, on the inside.
Yes. It should hurt you. As an Indian I luv it.

PlanetPakistan
12th August 2008, 11:14
wow you actually know something about something.

Hate to say this but... thanks.

deathstreak
12th August 2008, 15:11
India with a chance to squeeze in another medal. We have a boxer and a badminton girl (Saina) in the quarters.
Saina should make it all the way to the semis. She faces a lower ranked player in the quarters, though ranking hardly matters in these events.

BD-fan
12th August 2008, 23:33
Congrats!! Hard to think that in 2002 commonweath games this boy lost to Asif (BD marksman). Asif comes back gets beaten by the police, (I mean heavily beaten, hand-jaw broken hospitalized for three months) and a no show for Olympics. Whereas, Bindra wins an Olympic gold. Thus we treat our golden boys. :(

bablu_khan
13th August 2008, 00:15
Congrats!! Hard to think that in 2002 commonweath games this boy lost to Asif (BD marksman). Asif comes back gets beaten by the police, (I mean heavily beaten, hand-jaw broken hospitalized for three months) and a no show for Olympics. Whereas, Bindra wins an Olympic gold. Thus we treat our golden boys. :(

o i never knew this. but why did the police beat him? what did he do?

this is absolutely ridiculous

and when was he beaten? in 2002 itself. so he didn't participate in athens olympics because of that?

thats a very sad story man

nikred
13th August 2008, 01:53
o i never knew this. but why did the police beat him? what did he do?

this is absolutely ridiculous

and when was he beaten? in 2002 itself. so he didn't participate in athens olympics because of that?

thats a very sad story man

Had a look at Wiki about him and this is what i found. Really pathetic.

On October 2, 2006, after a rough incident between police and shooting federation staff, police broke into the federation premises and assaulted several shooters including Asif. Asif and his fellow shooters were preparing for the 2006 Asian Games to be held at Doha on November 2006. An altercation occurred between a police chauffeur and a federation guard regarding the parking of a car. Following this, police came to the spot and, according to witnesses, beat "whoever they found".

Police beat Asif in multiple area and severely injured his left arm and leg. Asif said, "We, in fact, tried to stop the brawl but police would not listen to us". He also tried to protect himself by asserting his identity and success to his attackers. However, the police appeared to intensify their violence after this revelation. He, along with four other shooters and staff, were taken to the police station and beaten again. They were later sent to court by the police. Asif was granted bail from the court and was admitted to hospital. Doctors suggested that his arm muscles were badly injured and would take time to recover. His leg was also injured seriously and doctors were uncertain of when he would be able to practice again. Asif's mental and emotional trauma was also apparent as he claimed he would give up shooting. He even pondered he would give his Commonwealth Games gold medal back to the authority. The whole sporting community was stunned by the image of the best shooter of the country grunting and lying on bed with his shooting arm covered with plaster. This incident has left Asif's future in doubt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asif_Hossain_Khan

bablu_khan
13th August 2008, 02:00
thank you nikred for the info.

this is really pathetic.

very sad story indeed

i hope he change his mind and adapt the shooting career again and win some more medal for his country. very sad to know what he had to go through

BD-fan
13th August 2008, 02:25
http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/10/06/d61006040123.htm
From the horses mouth after few days and some thumbnail pictures are attached. Pathetic to say the list.

As far as my memory serves, this was an incedent that mattered insignificance. A parking lot issue. A big shot Police officers wife's jeep wanted to park in the shooting complex to get the nearby shopping complex and the guard wouldn't let or something.

moumotta
13th August 2008, 02:58

Thats sad. Assume no action was taken against police.

A BBC article says Bindra won gold in 2002 commonwealth. Were you referring to some other tournament.

But within a year he was winning medals around the world and in 2002 he became a Commonwealth Games gold medallist.

nikred
13th August 2008, 04:58
Thats sad. Assume no action was taken against police.

A BBC article says Bindra won gold in 2002 commonwealth. Were you referring to some other tournament.

Bindra won gold in the Pairs event but got silver in the individual event with Asif getting gold.

moumotta
13th August 2008, 05:13
Bindra won gold in the Pairs event but got silver in the individual event with Asif getting gold.

OK. Hope there are some red faces in BD police.

JeeraBlade
13th August 2008, 22:29
:)) :)) :)) :))
New tradition --- win and whine! They won in Australia and whined, they won in Galle and they whined and now 1st gold medal in the history. Still whining.

Bindra's gun was tampered with before final, says official

The Indian camp in Beijing went into a tizzy on Wednesday following reports that Abhinav Bindra's gun sights were tampered with before Monday's 10m Air Rifle final at the Olympics.

Though the Chandigarh-based marksman went on to win the country's first individual Olympic gold medal, top officials with the Indian contingent in Beijing said there was a possibility of the allegation being true.

Deputy Chef de Mission Baljit Singh Sethi, also the secretary-general of the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI), said the gun sights were altered before the final, and it was only because of Bindra's unflappable nature that he could go on to win the medal.

''We did not know it, but after the final he told us that he found his gun sight altered. But he is a very cool boy and has lot of patience. Lesser mortals would have panicked, but he maintained his cool and went on to win the gold,'' Sethi said.

However, Indian Olympic Association secretary-general Randhir Singh, who is in Beijing as an International Olympic Council member and its observer for the shooting competition, said he did not receive any complaint about the incident.

''How can I react to something when there is no formal complaint about it,'' he said.

Bindra had earlier been quoted by a newspaper as saying that between the qualifying and final sessions he went to the rest room and his German coach, Gaby Buehlmann, also went out for a smoke, and that was probably the time when the unattended gun was fiddled with.

Sethi, however, added that there was no need to start a blame game. He said, ''I don't think that helps. Actually, you cannot blame anyone; it's your duty to take care of your gun.

"He was the only Indian to qualify, so there were shooters from other countries in that room.''

Asked if the team management lodged a complaint about the incident, Sethi replied, ''No, because it was his duty to attend to the gun. You cannot blame anyone for that.''

Shooting coach T S Dhillon also confirmed the incident, but added that it was not the first time that such a thing occured.

''It happened earlier also. In Abhinav's case, during the Sighter series, he was suddenly scoring as low as 4.2 before gradually the scores picked up. It took him 40 clicks to reach the centre stage. And he had just three minutes.

''It's another matter that he went on to defy the setback and win the gold, it only goes on to prove how good a shooter he is."

purplehaze
20th August 2008, 15:15
Yay, somone from India has done what Michael Phelps couldn't do-> win a bronze !!!!!

Sushil Kumar got a bronze in wrestling.

Total medal count wise, this olympic seems like our best ever.

deathstreak
20th August 2008, 15:20
Hell yeah.
Now hoping of r our boxers to do us proud today :)

Indieview
20th August 2008, 18:55
Now Vijendra kumar won his Q/f bout boxing ... in Semis ... we have one more bronze assured

masterblaster
20th August 2008, 19:52
good for them

Indiafan
20th August 2008, 20:49
Doing much better than usual :)

nikred
20th August 2008, 20:58
:)

nikred
20th August 2008, 22:45
Now Vijendra kumar won his Q/f bout boxing ... in Semis ... we have one more bronze assured

I have a question. Will they give bronze each to the losers of the semis or will they have a match inbetween them to decide the bronze medalist.

jusarrived
21st August 2008, 01:03
semifinalists are assured of a bronze , no match for 3rd place !

vijender was our most technically sound boxer ...he recently beat athens gold medalist in presidents cup ....he faces a cuban boxer in th semis , but hes quite capable of beating anyone in his current form ....lest see if he can get more than a bronze !

jusarrived
21st August 2008, 01:04
our best grappler tomar will be out tomorrow , so we cud add another medal to our tally !

nikred
21st August 2008, 01:27
semifinalists are assured of a bronze , no match for 3rd place !

vijender was our most technically sound boxer ...he recently beat athens gold medalist in presidents cup ....he faces a cuban boxer in th semis , but hes quite capable of beating anyone in his current form ....lest see if he can get more than a bronze !

Cool....so the worst case scenario its 1gold, 2bronze:). This is the best performance by India in olympics. I hope India makes this the norm if not better it.

deathstreak
21st August 2008, 10:48
the best part though it must be said is the frequency with which lots of ppl reached the quarters at least.
That is heartening.
With a bit of improved government funding reaching where it should we should be able to up our tally seriously.

wanted_desi
21st August 2008, 10:54
I think India has really changed in last 10 years, and future looks bright. So you will see better and better

moumotta
21st August 2008, 11:09
But it is all very localised. For example all the boxers are from one small town in Haryana which to me shows a committed and quality local coach rather than a national or organised achievement.

PlanetPakistan
21st August 2008, 11:18
IND have certainly shown signs of life this time around...

The government would now invest large sum of money in sports if they want to host the 2020 Olympics in Delhi.

bablu_khan
21st August 2008, 15:44
IND have certainly shown signs of life this time around...

The government would now invest large sum of money in sports if they want to host the 2020 Olympics in Delhi.

that can never happen in India and Pakistan. atleast in 15 years.

the amount of pollution there is, India won't get to host olympics. you see there was so little pollution in china and there were news that china might lose the oppurtunity to host olympics because of that